Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warren Farm. 22:35 - Mar 4 with 10310 viewskropotkin41

I have developed a sneaking suspicion that the Save Warren Farm people might have a good point.

I know this won't be popular here, but I imagine there are some folks on LFW who are ecologically informed (Which is not the same as a political conviction, btw).

The club seems to have offered a pond, a grass roof and some bird boxes as mitigation for the proposed development. As I understand it Warren Farm includes endangered habitat (acid grassland) and endangered species, in a part of the world, needless to say, where these kind of areas are in very short supply.

I still suspect that there is room for a really constructive, creative and ecologically sound compromise here, but the measures on offer don't come up to scratch as it stands. There are enough species on that 61 acres to qualify for Local Nature Reserve status; The proposed development includes 555 car parking spaces and a landfill site! London has 1500 football pitches and only 147 LNRs.

I know we need a training ground, but I think the priorities here are f*cked up. QPR could do more, and threaten less. As I say, not going to be a beloved opinion in this forum, but I don't think it hurts to have a look at the other side. Ealing Council didn't even undertake an environmental impact assessment!

I really hope someone comes back and demolishes all my concerns with good reasons, because I'm looking at pictures of Warren Farm and I'm going to take some convincing that developing it won't be a crime tbh.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 22:37]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Warren Farm. on 22:24 - Mar 5 with 4177 viewsted_hendrix

Warren Farm. on 19:45 - Mar 5 by loftboy

Waitrose? Their new store in Bracknell has a living roof
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 19:45]

No mate, it was the Odney Club the headquarters for John Lewis at Cookham near Maidenhead, It's on Youtube, gorgeous area by the river Thames very challenging contract for very meticulous clients.
You can see the green roof on the video, pretty much all of the existing buildings were/are listed buildings.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Warren Farm. on 22:26 - Mar 5 with 4169 viewsloftboy

Warren Farm. on 22:24 - Mar 5 by ted_hendrix

No mate, it was the Odney Club the headquarters for John Lewis at Cookham near Maidenhead, It's on Youtube, gorgeous area by the river Thames very challenging contract for very meticulous clients.
You can see the green roof on the video, pretty much all of the existing buildings were/are listed buildings.

Part of the same group though, must be in their remit for new sites.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Warren Farm. on 01:22 - Mar 6 with 4086 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warren Farm. on 20:40 - Mar 5 by kropotkin41

No. I'm suggesting that QPR could probably do better, dissolve some if not all of the opposition, make some friends, safeguard the site's wildlife value and keep ecologically-minded types like me happy too. The value of a good community profile has been recognised by the club, an ecological awareness to go with that is a win win.

Ok, I agree.

You're talking about convincing those with remaining questions, for peace of mind.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warren Farm. on 07:19 - Mar 6 with 4019 viewsdistortR

Warren Farm. on 01:22 - Mar 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Ok, I agree.

You're talking about convincing those with remaining questions, for peace of mind.

and also, doing the right thing
Warren Farm. on 14:52 - Mar 6 with 3866 viewskropotkin41

Warren Farm. on 21:38 - Mar 5 by distortR

The Dutch have a very non-interventionist approach to managing their reserves, which has long been contentious.

Anyway, I don't think Kropotkin is advocating the Warren Farm Serengeti.

I wasn't thinking of wolves and bison, no.

Warren Farm. on 16:03 - Mar 6 with 3798 viewsEsox_Lucius

They could always go in there, mow and mark the pitches out for a spur of the moment tournament. It's easier to seek forgiveness than seek permission.

The grass is always greener.

Warren Farm. on 17:34 - Mar 6 with 3715 viewsdistortR

Warren Farm. on 14:52 - Mar 6 by kropotkin41

I wasn't thinking of wolves and bison, no.

Absolutely, wolves have their own facilities.
Warren Farm. on 23:51 - Mar 6 with 3533 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warren Farm. on 16:22 - Mar 5 by kropotkin41

Interesting. I suppose going back to my original point, if we put in an application with more top of the range ecological mitigation it would be less contentious. Spurs have an organic garden... something which can be very good ecologically, as well as feeding players, staff etc. Can't help thinking there's a win win here.

Submitting a revised application is tantamount to starting from scratch and will require QPR to once again acquire the necessary consents and fight off legal challenges.

Besides QPR has already compromised by submitting a scaled down plan. Further ecological compromises will never be good enough for the SWF mob because the truth is protecting the environment is not their primary objective. They simply want to continue enjoying unrestricted access to open land. The only way they can realistically achieve this is by submitting legal challenges based on environmental considerations and hope that QPR eventually wave the white flag.

This project has been live since 2012. The only endangered species are the poor buggers that had to use those rancid changing rooms and the only crime is that the project is not yet complete. Just get it done already.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 23:55]
Login to get fewer ads

Warren Farm. on 00:05 - Mar 7 with 3516 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warren Farm. on 00:14 - Mar 5 by PunteR

Leave any plot of land for too long and nature will just take over. SWF tactics have been about delaying the project.
You want to come to Bracknell to watch 1000s of acres of natural wildlife be destroyed by developers. I live on a new build between bracknell and wokingham. It used to be farmland. When we moved in i would have rabbits outside my front door for the first few months( they've cleared off now). Theres still plenty of open greenland spaces behind our estate. Where loads of wildlife live. Ive even got a garden that has hedgehogs, bats, Robins , chaffinch, Red Kites.Theres no reason why a new modern facility cant be built that will cater not just a football club thats been around for over a hundred years and has thousands of supporters in the area and also for the whole community, but also wildlife. Its really not difficult to co exist.

Indeed, and you're referring to land being developed to build housing. In this case we're talking about developing a training ground where the majority of the site will be pitches (i.e. grass, trees, etc.). You'll struggle to find a more environmentally friendly proposal for the site.

If SWF seriously believe that Warren Farm will remain open metropolitan land should QPR bin the training ground project then they are seriously deluded. It'll be sold for housing or retail instead and SWF will soon be wishing that they got behind QPR's proposal.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 0:09]
Warren Farm. on 11:51 - Mar 8 with 3306 viewsEsox_Lucius

It's not just QPR with training ground problems.
https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/training-ground-update-delaye

Warren Farm. on 13:35 - Mar 8 with 3196 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warren Farm. on 11:51 - Mar 8 by Esox_Lucius

It's not just QPR with training ground problems.
https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/training-ground-update-delaye

2 completely different cases; 1 has no bearing on the other.

PNE's proposal is a mixed development of housing and training facilities. Presumably the idea is for profits from the former to fund the latter. Plans were submitted in 2017.

QPR's proposal does not include housing. Plans were submitted in 2012 when Phillip Beard was CEO!
Warren Farm. on 14:49 - Mar 8 with 3131 viewsNed_Kennedys

Warren Farm. on 20:40 - Mar 5 by kropotkin41

No. I'm suggesting that QPR could probably do better, dissolve some if not all of the opposition, make some friends, safeguard the site's wildlife value and keep ecologically-minded types like me happy too. The value of a good community profile has been recognised by the club, an ecological awareness to go with that is a win win.

The small number of people campaigning against it will not compromise at all and will not agree to anything.
Warren Farm. on 14:54 - Mar 8 with 3119 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warren Farm. on 14:49 - Mar 8 by Ned_Kennedys

The small number of people campaigning against it will not compromise at all and will not agree to anything.

I have to agree. I don't think we can converse with these people as it would seem like compromise and would weaken us. Time to plough on now.

Warren Farm. on 15:22 - Mar 8 with 3060 viewskropotkin41

Warren Farm. on 14:54 - Mar 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I have to agree. I don't think we can converse with these people as it would seem like compromise and would weaken us. Time to plough on now.

I don't see what ploughing will achieve, Brian!

I don't know enough to say whether any effort has been made to reach out to the Save Warren Farm people, but in any event, the right thing to do would seem to be to meet and surpass the best ecological standards in the development. If the club do that, if the place is eventually a model of ecological development, not only won't the critics have a leg to stand on, but the club will gain a great reputation....... as well as lots of wildlife for neighbours.

Good developments, by the way, don't just safeguard spots for wildlife, but actually increase biodiversity. Development and ecology do not have to be at odds with good design.

Warren Farm. on 15:25 - Mar 8 with 3055 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warren Farm. on 15:22 - Mar 8 by kropotkin41

I don't see what ploughing will achieve, Brian!

I don't know enough to say whether any effort has been made to reach out to the Save Warren Farm people, but in any event, the right thing to do would seem to be to meet and surpass the best ecological standards in the development. If the club do that, if the place is eventually a model of ecological development, not only won't the critics have a leg to stand on, but the club will gain a great reputation....... as well as lots of wildlife for neighbours.

Good developments, by the way, don't just safeguard spots for wildlife, but actually increase biodiversity. Development and ecology do not have to be at odds with good design.

I absolutely agree with you in principle, Krop.

I'm just really wary about opening any dialogue with these people as we now have planning and any soothing talks with them might be spun as negotiations or a breaking (by us) of our agreements.

The man with the full cup walks slowly, and all that.

Warren Farm. on 18:50 - Mar 8 with 2918 viewsEsox_Lucius

Warren Farm. on 13:35 - Mar 8 by Benny_the_Ball

PNE's proposal is a mixed development of housing and training facilities. Presumably the idea is for profits from the former to fund the latter. Plans were submitted in 2017.

QPR's proposal does not include housing. Plans were submitted in 2012 when Phillip Beard was CEO!

You missed out the most important way in which they are different; one is QPR and the other is PNE.

Warren Farm. on 14:07 - Mar 9 with 2675 viewsdaveB

Warren Farm. on 13:35 - Mar 8 by Benny_the_Ball

The plans did change and were resubmitted a years after that
Warren Farm. on 14:59 - Mar 9 with 2590 viewsBoston

I’m with Kropotkin on the ‘greening’ question and, as someone who pours a lot of concrete, I’ve approached the club about adding an appropriate dye to the mix.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Warren Farm. on 15:04 - Mar 9 with 2583 viewsrsonist

Warren Farm. on 18:50 - Mar 8 by Esox_Lucius

You missed out the most important way in which they are different; one is QPR and the other is PNE.

Yes more evidence of the conspiracy against us, the most important and oppressed club in the world.
Warren Farm. on 13:31 - Mar 12 with 2319 viewsR_from_afar

A quick update: The protesters appear to have persuaded Walks around Britain to come to film at WF in June, with the aim of talking about "their fight to save Warren Farm". I think this is the organisation in question:
https://www.walksaroundbritain.co.uk/television.html

I admire SWF's tenacity but this isn’t a greenfield site which some nasty developer is taking away, it’s an abandoned, existing leisure facility which nature has moved into.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warren Farm. on 17:13 - Mar 12 with 2169 viewsRangersDave

which is why we need activity on site..... marking out, fencing, security etc......

However, even i'm getting the feeling that it will never be built now.
However if the filming is true, what better way to ruin that than to start development now? or 10 days before filming starts. lol

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warren Farm. on 18:13 - Mar 12 with 2085 viewshoopdog

Warren Farm. on 14:49 - Mar 8 by Ned_Kennedys

You're right they won't compromise in any way because their main fear / arguement / concern is where will it end , if they give in , will the council see it as a green light to further development on surrounding open spaces , seeing as most are brown field ??
Warren Farm. on 18:30 - Mar 12 with 2056 viewsE17hoop

It's a Community programme for transmission on the London Live channel.

London Live?

That channel that you look at for 2 seconds before you realise it's shít and change the channel.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:48 - Mar 22 with 1686 viewsRangersDave

Posted nothing as an ironic comment to how the new training ground will go for the next 6 months. lol
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:51]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:59 - Mar 24 with 1374 viewsLazyFan

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:48 - Mar 22 by RangersDave

Posted nothing as an ironic comment to how the new training ground will go for the next 6 months. lol
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:51]

By the time they can start work, it will have become infested with Corona-Bats from New York and have to be quarantined for at least 200 years or when QPR ceases to exist, whichever comes sooner. So, 199 years then.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024