Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who still went to qpr. 21:12 - Sep 30 with 2312 viewsqpr_1968

who were st holders.
who picked and chose their games.
who gave up going.
and who live too far away.

Me, i chose what games to go to, i classed my self priviliged because i live in wormholt road.
always got a ticket for home games, even in the premier days, and the well supported days in division 1.
away games, probably go to at least 10 gsames, give or take a few.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who still went to qpr. on 15:48 - Oct 1 with 482 viewsqpr_1968

Who still went to qpr. on 11:01 - Oct 1 by ozranger

I've been quiet for some time and will return to that state after this. But, here is a thread I can feel is one I can explain my story, one so different to almost everyone else.

I have no connection with London prior to 2016. Born in NZ and lived in Australia almost all of my life, I joined the band of rare R's fans from abroad sometime in the 70s. Many have asked when and why and really, I do not know or can't remember. Perhaps that is age. I did not see my first game until 1998 when we lost to Bury in the final game of the season but stayed up. My next game was not until August 2013 when I was in the UK as part of my fieldwork for my doctorate. That was the win at Ellen Rd. I really enjoyed the experience, the trip and even caught the RL game the night before.

Then in 2016 the missus moved from Sydney to London for work and I started to venture over for periods of time, as much allowable by the UK govt. In 2017 I finally organised my season ticket in the middle of Ellerslie, a seat I was extremely lucky to get and have continued to have that seat since but early on it would mean not being at games for up to half a season. Prior to 2019-20, I only visited the rare away game - the win at the Cottage included. Then, after a holiday back in Oz last December, I chose to do the whole of January and February, all home and away games. It was fun, not concerning for safety and of course a change at Preston included. It was a bug that had got to me, one that is not cheap even though I have basically retired, yet one that I want to continue when possible.

Do I miss the games? Yes. Do I miss the companionship of those around me, some of whom are somewhat older than me? Yes. Am I concerned that some of these people may have been taken by the virus? Yes, unfortunately considering their age. I do venture to the C&S to see Clive and the others at the occasional games but even that is becoming more and more risky.

So, as you can see, to some I am the complete opposite. I was someone like most of the Manure fans of these days, a distant fan who never goes to games or is able to go. But unlike most of these, I have been able to make it here now and, with EU citizenship fixed, I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy, until I return to Oz for good, attending games and look forward to their return.

very good post oz.
hope them days come back for you.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who still went to qpr. on 18:24 - Oct 1 with 419 viewsdenhamhoop2

Who still went to qpr. on 07:53 - Oct 1 by Northernr

Went to every game and am bereft without it.

+10000 It's just wrong eating my lunch watching R's on my Laptop
Who still went to qpr. on 19:09 - Oct 1 with 396 viewsjoe90

I was a season ticket holder last season, had a seat in the Upper Loft. I didn't cancel my season ticket this season, so I guess I'm technically still a season ticket holder?

I'd go to a few away games each season and try and make every home game.

I do miss Loftus Road and my match day ritual, but I'm not so desperate to return that I would put myself forward for one of the ballots. It's all or nothing for me and that I can accept. Watching the game in half empty stadium without any of the local amenities available just doesn't cut it for me.

I've accepted things have changed and won't be going back to normal for sometime, and for now just trying to get use to following QPR from behind a computer.

A few positives, saving money and a really nice home/away kit this season.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 19:11]
Who still went to qpr. on 19:44 - Oct 1 with 380 viewsdutch

Season ticket holder for thirty years, been going for fifty plus. I miss every moment, every step along south Africa Road, every pie and pint, every joke with the blokes in front, every complaint from my son who has been a st holder for 21 of his 24 years. Miss trains from Euston to grim northern towns, miss youth pouring beer on their heads at half time and Victor and Finney and Ellie and all. Even occasionally miss the football. I already miss Eze, just as I did Rodney and Stan and Adel. I could weep
Who still went to qpr. on 05:45 - Oct 2 with 310 viewsNorthantsHoop

Mid 70s started going with my Dad. Bought first season ticket in 1982/1983 season at 18 years of age. Kept going home and sometimes away for next 4 years. Moved from Northolt to Northampton in late 80s, life sort of took over, kids, career etc. Then in 2014 got the chance to go to the play off final and then it re-ignited the passion for live football again, have been a season ticket holder ever since, probably enjoy it even more now. Like where I sit in upper loft, made a lot of new QPR friends and meet up with best mate after a game in the pub, before journey home. Probably that is what I miss most the routine, travel, game, beer and chat after.
Who still went to qpr. on 10:29 - Oct 2 with 254 viewsSydneyRs

Who still went to qpr. on 11:01 - Oct 1 by ozranger

I've been quiet for some time and will return to that state after this. But, here is a thread I can feel is one I can explain my story, one so different to almost everyone else.

I have no connection with London prior to 2016. Born in NZ and lived in Australia almost all of my life, I joined the band of rare R's fans from abroad sometime in the 70s. Many have asked when and why and really, I do not know or can't remember. Perhaps that is age. I did not see my first game until 1998 when we lost to Bury in the final game of the season but stayed up. My next game was not until August 2013 when I was in the UK as part of my fieldwork for my doctorate. That was the win at Ellen Rd. I really enjoyed the experience, the trip and even caught the RL game the night before.

Then in 2016 the missus moved from Sydney to London for work and I started to venture over for periods of time, as much allowable by the UK govt. In 2017 I finally organised my season ticket in the middle of Ellerslie, a seat I was extremely lucky to get and have continued to have that seat since but early on it would mean not being at games for up to half a season. Prior to 2019-20, I only visited the rare away game - the win at the Cottage included. Then, after a holiday back in Oz last December, I chose to do the whole of January and February, all home and away games. It was fun, not concerning for safety and of course a change at Preston included. It was a bug that had got to me, one that is not cheap even though I have basically retired, yet one that I want to continue when possible.

Do I miss the games? Yes. Do I miss the companionship of those around me, some of whom are somewhat older than me? Yes. Am I concerned that some of these people may have been taken by the virus? Yes, unfortunately considering their age. I do venture to the C&S to see Clive and the others at the occasional games but even that is becoming more and more risky.

So, as you can see, to some I am the complete opposite. I was someone like most of the Manure fans of these days, a distant fan who never goes to games or is able to go. But unlike most of these, I have been able to make it here now and, with EU citizenship fixed, I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy, until I return to Oz for good, attending games and look forward to their return.

Remember that 98 Bury game well. Just after the Jamie Pollock Man City trip where we secured safety so went to the game in good spirits.

Unfortunately my brother knew a couple of Bury fans who came with us so it was a frustrating afternoon seeing them get increasingly smug as it became apparent rangers were not going to score if we played all night.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024