Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon 10:40 - Dec 17 with 3433 viewsNorthernr

Latest Patreon interview is with Nedum Onuoha. All three subscription tiers can listen to it in its entireity here...

Part One - https://www.patreon.com/posts/nedum-onouha-1-44882122

Part Two - https://www.patreon.com/posts/nedum-onouha-2-44882249

Or read an abridged version here for free...

Part One -

Onuoha on survival, relegation and Wembley promotion — Interview 17th Dec 2020 10:36
In the first part of our Patreon interview with former QPR captain Nedum Onuoha we look at his move to the club, first impressions, survival under Mark Hughes, relegation under Harry Redknapp, and promotion at Wembley. 0

Part Two -

Onuoha on a new Prem failure, and the modern QPR — Interview 17th Dec 2020 11:27
In the second part of our Patreon interview with former QPR skipper Nedum Onuoha we look at the most recent Premier League relegation and how the club has gone about things since. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:35 - Dec 17 with 2851 viewsdaveB

Was a really good listen this.
I thought the bits about Joey Barton were predictable, he sounds like a right prat, if Adel had stormed off from that 5 a side in a huff Joey would have slaughtered him.
Also the bit on modern day QPR and Ferdinand was interesting, he didn't sound like a fan of Les to put it mildly.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:38 - Dec 17 with 2845 viewsNorthernr

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:35 - Dec 17 by daveB

Was a really good listen this.
I thought the bits about Joey Barton were predictable, he sounds like a right prat, if Adel had stormed off from that 5 a side in a huff Joey would have slaughtered him.
Also the bit on modern day QPR and Ferdinand was interesting, he didn't sound like a fan of Les to put it mildly.

Still people want him to be our manager.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 14:50 - Dec 17 with 2706 viewsdaveB

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:38 - Dec 17 by Northernr

Still people want him to be our manager.

i wouldn't rule it out with Fernandes still at the club
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 15:06 - Dec 17 with 2684 viewsPinnerPaul

Excellent interview.

The one thing I come away with is how difficult it is to have a united dressing room and how people see each other so differently.

Ned and Jamie's views on Joey Barton and Mark Hughes couldn't be more different, for example!
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 19:37 - Dec 17 with 2441 viewsBostonR

Fantastic interview-he’s an intelligent individual who could step into club management.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 20:27 - Dec 17 with 2392 viewsWrightUp5hit___

If he wants to take that route. To me he is made to be a pundit with intelligent, articulate comments.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 22:10 - Dec 17 with 2321 viewsdaveB

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 15:06 - Dec 17 by PinnerPaul

Excellent interview.

The one thing I come away with is how difficult it is to have a united dressing room and how people see each other so differently.

Ned and Jamie's views on Joey Barton and Mark Hughes couldn't be more different, for example!

the only thing that unites a dressing room is winning, when you are winning everyone gets along or gets on with it, when your not it all kicks off
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 23:06 - Dec 17 with 2273 viewsB_Wad

Enjoyed the interview. Seemed to confirm the Open All R's podcast. Living in Los Angeles I watch some of the Galaxy's MLS games and I was able to watch Nedum stand up to Ibrahmivoic. It was a "that's an R!" moment.

I'd been thinking of bringing this up in some of the other forums that are discussing Warburton's future. I've mostly followed American sports and I know they are different, but from what I've seen the strongest organizations start from the top. That means they have a general manager (DOF for QPR) who is trusted and given freedom by the organization to manage the budget, select head coaches/managers, and works with scouting to select players that will fit a club culture that can be sustained over the years. Successful organizations are smart in choosing their manager and then staying out of the way except to provide necessary resources. If results don't take root over a number of years, then it is time to revisit who is in the general manager position. "Moneyball" was a good example of a GM implementing his vision.

I admire that QPR have a DOF of color and I know Ferdinand is popular and a club legend, but personally I have been wondering if maybe the problem with the club really stems from that office. This interview reinforced those concerns. I know the club is in a tough situation with the budget, but again, as the interview suggested, there has been a significant amount of squandered investment. If success starts at the top, it seems that lack of success also originates there.
Login to get fewer ads

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 23:43 - Dec 17 with 2221 viewsTheChef

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 23:06 - Dec 17 by B_Wad

Enjoyed the interview. Seemed to confirm the Open All R's podcast. Living in Los Angeles I watch some of the Galaxy's MLS games and I was able to watch Nedum stand up to Ibrahmivoic. It was a "that's an R!" moment.

I'd been thinking of bringing this up in some of the other forums that are discussing Warburton's future. I've mostly followed American sports and I know they are different, but from what I've seen the strongest organizations start from the top. That means they have a general manager (DOF for QPR) who is trusted and given freedom by the organization to manage the budget, select head coaches/managers, and works with scouting to select players that will fit a club culture that can be sustained over the years. Successful organizations are smart in choosing their manager and then staying out of the way except to provide necessary resources. If results don't take root over a number of years, then it is time to revisit who is in the general manager position. "Moneyball" was a good example of a GM implementing his vision.

I admire that QPR have a DOF of color and I know Ferdinand is popular and a club legend, but personally I have been wondering if maybe the problem with the club really stems from that office. This interview reinforced those concerns. I know the club is in a tough situation with the budget, but again, as the interview suggested, there has been a significant amount of squandered investment. If success starts at the top, it seems that lack of success also originates there.

Well the fact we continuously change the manager, but nothing seems to improve with the team, would appear to support your last paragraph.

So in the hope things don't get critically worse, maybe Warburton does deserve more time and hopefully with a more settled squad, we can kick on next season.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 02:50 - Dec 18 with 2123 viewstimcocking

For me, no offence, but i'm sick of hearing about or talking about the Redknapp/Hughes days now. I'll always be bitter about it and i'll carry around my hitlist until my dying breath hoping i bump into Jose Bosingwa or Cisse one day in a dark alley way, but i just want to blank the whole chapter out of my memory as much as possible at this stage.

Ned is a class act.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 07:01 - Dec 18 with 2073 viewsozexile

I think this becoming more apparent each season. We still don't know who selects the players we want to buy. Is it the manager? Is it DOF? Does the DOF give Warburton a list?

Does Warburton give the DOF a list?
Seems a complete lack of accountability after all this time.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 08:34 - Dec 18 with 2024 viewsNorthernr

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 07:01 - Dec 18 by ozexile

I think this becoming more apparent each season. We still don't know who selects the players we want to buy. Is it the manager? Is it DOF? Does the DOF give Warburton a list?

Does Warburton give the DOF a list?
Seems a complete lack of accountability after all this time.

Some seem v much the manager (Ball, Wallace) while others are long term targets that pre-date him (Thomas). Probably suits them to keep it vague because at times like this when we’re asking “how on earth do you let this squad go into this season with this midfield and full backs?” We don’t really know who to point at.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 09:29 - Dec 18 with 1961 viewsQPROslo

Thanks for that interesting summary Clive. Did you ask Ned which he thought was his best position RB or CB, and/or which he preferred playing best? We used to argue that one, I was probably in a minority in preferring him at RB, because I felt his vision of the game, where the oppositions attacking players were, and were going, let him down when he played centrally. He seemed to me to have better focus on what he needed to do, and better positioning at RB generally.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 09:36 - Dec 18 with 1950 viewsTheChef

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 08:34 - Dec 18 by Northernr

Some seem v much the manager (Ball, Wallace) while others are long term targets that pre-date him (Thomas). Probably suits them to keep it vague because at times like this when we’re asking “how on earth do you let this squad go into this season with this midfield and full backs?” We don’t really know who to point at.

Also who is currently in charge of scouting? I've lost track since Penrice left.

For the most part I think they've done a good job, e.g. Dickie and Willock, Dykes I hope will come good too. The challenge though is signing 'the right sort' while at the same time being an attractive proposition when other clubs will be offering more money. And while you want to get in young talent to develop with potential resale value, you want to add some experienced quality alongside that. That's the part we're struggling with at the moment.

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 10:09 - Dec 18 with 1928 viewsozexile

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 09:36 - Dec 18 by TheChef

Also who is currently in charge of scouting? I've lost track since Penrice left.

For the most part I think they've done a good job, e.g. Dickie and Willock, Dykes I hope will come good too. The challenge though is signing 'the right sort' while at the same time being an attractive proposition when other clubs will be offering more money. And while you want to get in young talent to develop with potential resale value, you want to add some experienced quality alongside that. That's the part we're struggling with at the moment.

There's another part to that equation. They need to be young, talented and the right sort. However the club needs to be seen to be progressing or the player doesn't sign a contract and walks away.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 10:11 - Dec 18 with 1926 viewsNorthernr

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 09:29 - Dec 18 by QPROslo

Thanks for that interesting summary Clive. Did you ask Ned which he thought was his best position RB or CB, and/or which he preferred playing best? We used to argue that one, I was probably in a minority in preferring him at RB, because I felt his vision of the game, where the oppositions attacking players were, and were going, let him down when he played centrally. He seemed to me to have better focus on what he needed to do, and better positioning at RB generally.

Yeh it's in the Patreon version. CB. He only ended up at right back in the first place because City had Dunne and Distin already and he was just a kid, so they started him off at RB.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 10:12 - Dec 18 with 1924 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The only reason that Fernandes appointed Les was to take the pressure off him. Our Director of Football was "learning on the job".

If we lose tomorrow and Warburton leaves, does anyone have confidence in those running the club to make the optimal appointment, having scoured the globe for potential candidates that suit our vision and style of play? Of course not; it'll be the usual suspects from the managerial merry-go-round. That's what's so depressing about the current situation - you just can't see anyway out of it with Tune Group in charge. If there's a decision to make, they'll always make the wrong one.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 10:13]
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 11:20 - Dec 18 with 1836 viewsPinnerPaul

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 22:10 - Dec 17 by daveB

the only thing that unites a dressing room is winning, when you are winning everyone gets along or gets on with it, when your not it all kicks off

Not quite as simple as that I don't think.

Just because we beat Liverpool, doesn't mean Jamie Mackie agreed with the decision not to play him, or to call him in afterwards to tell him off for his goal celebration.

Win every game and you still wouldn't catch Ned being in weekly contact with Joey!

Makes the manager's job easier, of course, as NW used to say and Ned alludes to here, much easier to NOT play players when the team is winning.

Like any work place I guess, not all 25/30 players are going to love each other!
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 11:27 - Dec 18 with 1820 viewsTheChef

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 10:12 - Dec 18 by Wegerles_Stairs

The only reason that Fernandes appointed Les was to take the pressure off him. Our Director of Football was "learning on the job".

If we lose tomorrow and Warburton leaves, does anyone have confidence in those running the club to make the optimal appointment, having scoured the globe for potential candidates that suit our vision and style of play? Of course not; it'll be the usual suspects from the managerial merry-go-round. That's what's so depressing about the current situation - you just can't see anyway out of it with Tune Group in charge. If there's a decision to make, they'll always make the wrong one.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 10:13]

I see you're optimistic as ever.

Well let's see if and when that happens, I personally hope it won't be tomorrow or this season.

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 11:32 - Dec 18 with 1814 viewsTacticalR

Just listened to the first one. What I got from it is:

1. The incomprehensible nature of football managers.
2. The alienating nature of (some) dressing rooms.
3. Nedum's distinction between players who want to play and players who want to compete.

Air hostess clique

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:02 - Dec 18 with 1777 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 11:27 - Dec 18 by TheChef

I see you're optimistic as ever.

Well let's see if and when that happens, I personally hope it won't be tomorrow or this season.

I do too. I hope we go at them tomorrow, score a couple of early goals and cruise to a victory. I really hope we don't play for a draw as that will ask for trouble.

But no, I'm not particularly optimistic when it comes to our current owners!
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 13:44 - Dec 18 with 1656 viewsEsox_Lucius

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 12:02 - Dec 18 by Wegerles_Stairs

I do too. I hope we go at them tomorrow, score a couple of early goals and cruise to a victory. I really hope we don't play for a draw as that will ask for trouble.

But no, I'm not particularly optimistic when it comes to our current owners!

Well you won't be. if you think the Tune Group is still in charge.

The grass is always greener.

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 14:56 - Dec 18 with 1589 viewsjoe90

Great interview and an excellent counter view to the usual stories we hear about that time.
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 16:17 - Dec 18 with 1526 viewsqprd

clive, you're quite a natural at this

well done
Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 16:19 - Dec 18 with 1524 viewsNorthernr

Nedum Onuoha Interview - Patreon on 16:17 - Dec 18 by qprd

clive, you're quite a natural at this

well done

Ha ha that's kind. TBF it is my day job, it's just that's in another industry so you guys have only just had the (mis)fortune of actually hearing me do it.

Should you be so inclined as to hear me interview TV execs and actors, C21Media has a daily podcast...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024