Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Lyndon 17:02 - Apr 10 with 14091 viewsNorthantsHoop

Well done Lyndon, tremendous game today, that 1st goal brilliant header. I had my doubts about him, but he has started to come on well since that Reading goal.
Well Done Lyndon on 12:33 - Apr 11 with 1717 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 09:54 - Apr 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

As many others have said you don’t buy readymade 20 goal Championship strikers for £2million from Livingston. To expect otherwise is silly.

Nothing about the way he played yesterday was average in my opinion. Intelligent positioning, great link up play, and accurate headed finishing.

He shared the same pitch as Jordan Rhodes. I know who i’d rather have. I think a few QPR fans need to ask themselves if they jumped the gun a bit on Dykes.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 9:55]

I don't know or care what we paid for Dykes. Unlike many on this MB I am not 'in the know' with wages, contract details or transfer fees.

I judge a player by watching him....to date he has been very average indeed. I would have expected more in all aspects of his game.

Yesterday, and the last couple of games, he has improved but I still expect more from him and hopefully he will get better.

I don't give a 'toss' about Jordon Rhodes.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 12:34]
Well Done Lyndon on 12:35 - Apr 11 with 1709 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes, similar to Lumley, Austin etc seems to be a real team player, and with the 4th goal yesterday, as he attacked the box in search of his hat-trick, his first reaction when Willock got there first and finished the move started by Dykes was to throw both arms in the air in celebration and run to congratulate Willock like a proper team-mate + clubman.

It might be this generous type of character may hold him back as a forward expected to score 15+ goals per season, as wonder if he is single-minded + selfish enough like many of the top strikers, however his short career to date suggests he's ok playing the provider and if he can be half the player Helguson was, we've got a good deal.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:40 - Apr 11 with 1583 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Well Done Lyndon on 12:33 - Apr 11 by gazza1

I don't know or care what we paid for Dykes. Unlike many on this MB I am not 'in the know' with wages, contract details or transfer fees.

I judge a player by watching him....to date he has been very average indeed. I would have expected more in all aspects of his game.

Yesterday, and the last couple of games, he has improved but I still expect more from him and hopefully he will get better.

I think the point being made is that we are no longer buying a finished product a la Cisse/Austin/Remy/Zamora and are shopping in a different market, so WE as fans need to alter our perspective.

I dont disagree with you that some of his performances havent been to the level of a Championship striker, but again this is the point that has been made. Dykes is a late comer to football and has been playing in firstly the 2nd division in Scotland then latterly the Scottish prem - neither of these leagues are as competitive as the Championship.

He joined at the begining of a pandemic and has had limited training time with his new colleagues as well as getting to grips with a new city/league and tactics. Players get better with games and game time which MW has been said on many an occasion and loans etc have benifited many of our current players - with more games/exposure and a better level of training coaching the likes of Dykes/willock/Bonne will improve
Well Done Lyndon on 16:19 - Apr 11 with 1538 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Well Done Lyndon on 01:40 - Apr 11 by Loftgirl

I can't see that bothering him.

Just a bit of sledging. No worries!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Well Done Lyndon on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 1536 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

There was a big debate earlier in the season where, you included I think but apologies if not, said it’s all about goals.

Now he’s top scorer it’s about all round ability? I’m not really sure what average means anyway to be honest, but I’m sure it’s a movable scale, especially for a top scorer for a mid table side.

I think you’ll be proven wrong about Dykes but let’s see.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:32 - Apr 11 with 1508 viewsSK_hoops

Not sure what more he could have done yesterday.
Well Done Lyndon on 21:00 - Apr 11 with 1372 viewsgazza1

All I am saying is that if we signed him to play for QPR in the Championship then I would expect him to have been a lot closer to the finished article than he is. If anyone thinks that he has done well overall since he signed then there expectations are a lot less than mine. Basically, he has been very poor indeed. He has stuck the pens away well though.

I am very willing to see how it goes, and good luck to him, but what I see now or a few weeks ago was not very good.

Played a lot better in the last couple of matches so maybe he is getting better but lets be honest he could get any worse.
Well Done Lyndon on 21:30 - Apr 11 with 1346 viewsOldPedro

Well Done Lyndon on 21:00 - Apr 11 by gazza1

All I am saying is that if we signed him to play for QPR in the Championship then I would expect him to have been a lot closer to the finished article than he is. If anyone thinks that he has done well overall since he signed then there expectations are a lot less than mine. Basically, he has been very poor indeed. He has stuck the pens away well though.

I am very willing to see how it goes, and good luck to him, but what I see now or a few weeks ago was not very good.

Played a lot better in the last couple of matches so maybe he is getting better but lets be honest he could get any worse.

"All I am saying is that if we signed him to play for QPR in the Championship then I would expect him to have been a lot closer to the finished article than he is."

But the club have stated on many occasions in the last 2 seasons that we can't afford to buy the finished article and that we have to identify players with potential who we can develop and improve.

Guess you haven't been listening

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Lyndon on 21:36 - Apr 11 with 1341 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

When the world gives you Lyndons, make Lyndonade.
Well Done Lyndon on 22:45 - Apr 11 with 1263 viewsnix

I agree that my expectations are lower than yours for a relatively cheap, young and inexperienced striker in a new team, league and country for the first time, however that does not mean that your expectations are correct, just different.

I also disagree with the very poor indeed line. For that, he would have to have made very little contribution, which I believe is unfair and inaccurate. As his own manager said he has worked very hard and done a lot of the donkey work and hard graft, holding the ball up, dragging defenders with him, providing link play etc. He has also scored nine goals, so the same as Nahki Wells, Joao Pedro at Watford and Meite at Reading, so not exactly chicken feed and joint fifteenth in the Championship.

Clearly we would expect more from him next season but he's shown enough promise in my view that he will succeed in that. Provided we keep most of our team next season, I think he'll get much better service than he did in the early part of the season.
Well Done Lyndon on 23:36 - Apr 11 with 1213 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 21:30 - Apr 11 by OldPedro

"All I am saying is that if we signed him to play for QPR in the Championship then I would expect him to have been a lot closer to the finished article than he is."

But the club have stated on many occasions in the last 2 seasons that we can't afford to buy the finished article and that we have to identify players with potential who we can develop and improve.

Guess you haven't been listening

I have been listening alright but some of his football skills have been no better than Conference level......I expect better, for sure.

I am sure he will improve and maybe the last couple of matches shows that he may have so I have not lost hope yet but I am still far from sure just if he will be good enough. Time will tell us.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 23:52]
Well Done Lyndon on 23:50 - Apr 11 with 1203 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 22:45 - Apr 11 by nix

I agree that my expectations are lower than yours for a relatively cheap, young and inexperienced striker in a new team, league and country for the first time, however that does not mean that your expectations are correct, just different.

I also disagree with the very poor indeed line. For that, he would have to have made very little contribution, which I believe is unfair and inaccurate. As his own manager said he has worked very hard and done a lot of the donkey work and hard graft, holding the ball up, dragging defenders with him, providing link play etc. He has also scored nine goals, so the same as Nahki Wells, Joao Pedro at Watford and Meite at Reading, so not exactly chicken feed and joint fifteenth in the Championship.

Clearly we would expect more from him next season but he's shown enough promise in my view that he will succeed in that. Provided we keep most of our team next season, I think he'll get much better service than he did in the early part of the season.

Our expectations are very different by the looks of it even if we have paid very little cash for him and despite all this stuff about new team, league and country - that should not affect his basic footballing skills. Some of the matches he has played he has delivered next to nothing and it has been a fair few matches. Working hard, putting a shift in, etc, etc is a given for me and to be fair he has done that for the majority of time that he has played. I think the detail about dragging defenders, holding the ball up, providing link up play, winning headers are a fabrication of the actual performance - he just has not done that!!!

As for his goals - I expect professional footballers to score penalties 99% of the time and he has done that 100% so fair play to him. In open play, up to the recent times, he has been very poor indeed. Stats will show you that.

I have not written him off whatsoever but I would say, as you are well aware, I am disappointed what I have seen thus far. Improvements recently have encouraged me but we will have to see if he can continue, you are only as good as your last game and that was good last time out. Roll on Rotherham!!
Well Done Lyndon on 00:17 - Apr 12 with 1181 viewsVancouverHoop

I expect professional footballers to score penalties 99% of the time

Professional footballers in the senior leagues of Europe actually score penalties 77% of the time.
Well Done Lyndon on 01:33 - Apr 12 with 1151 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Well done Lyndon, indeed. Two great headers (particularly the first) and that pass of the chest for the fourth goal was a thing of beauty. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come.
Well Done Lyndon on 01:45 - Apr 12 with 1146 viewsnix

Well Done Lyndon on 23:50 - Apr 11 by gazza1

Our expectations are very different by the looks of it even if we have paid very little cash for him and despite all this stuff about new team, league and country - that should not affect his basic footballing skills. Some of the matches he has played he has delivered next to nothing and it has been a fair few matches. Working hard, putting a shift in, etc, etc is a given for me and to be fair he has done that for the majority of time that he has played. I think the detail about dragging defenders, holding the ball up, providing link up play, winning headers are a fabrication of the actual performance - he just has not done that!!!

As for his goals - I expect professional footballers to score penalties 99% of the time and he has done that 100% so fair play to him. In open play, up to the recent times, he has been very poor indeed. Stats will show you that.

I have not written him off whatsoever but I would say, as you are well aware, I am disappointed what I have seen thus far. Improvements recently have encouraged me but we will have to see if he can continue, you are only as good as your last game and that was good last time out. Roll on Rotherham!!

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree then, because I don't believe it's a fabrication and statistics don't always show the work players do off the ball. And working hard is not a given, however much we might want it to be; we've had many players over the years who wouldn't put a shift in. Tomer Hemed for instance, I don't think ever lifted his not inconsiderable bulk more than two inches off the ground. I couldn't stand those kind of players.

And yes I am aware that you are very disappointed at him as you regularly inform us here of his failings.

Luckily he has a manager that agrees with me and not you, and his encouragement, coaching and work with other players to ensure he gets the right sort of service is paying off. Ignoring context is fatuous in my view but if you think it doesn't make any difference, you're very welcome to your opinion.
Well Done Lyndon on 01:54 - Apr 12 with 1139 viewsstainrods_elbow

Well Done Lyndon on 09:54 - Apr 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

As many others have said you don’t buy readymade 20 goal Championship strikers for £2million from Livingston. To expect otherwise is silly.

Nothing about the way he played yesterday was average in my opinion. Intelligent positioning, great link up play, and accurate headed finishing.

He shared the same pitch as Jordan Rhodes. I know who i’d rather have. I think a few QPR fans need to ask themselves if they jumped the gun a bit on Dykes.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 9:55]

I'm clearly one of those who did and felt he should be shipped back to Scotland pdq at the start of the year. He now needs to do it consistently but yesterday was just about as complete a centre forward showing as you'll see: skilled, great positioning/awareness, link-up play, a fabulous chest-off for the 4th, and 2 goals that could have been a hat trick - all without Charlie alongside him. Overall, he still has a lot of ground to make up, but if you're only as good as your last game, he's really starting to look the part, finally. Give that man a cigar and me another serving of humble pie!
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 1:58]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Well Done Lyndon on 08:36 - Apr 12 with 1012 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was chuffed for him Saturday.

I think he'll be great next year especially if Charlie stays (but he probably wont, but who knows at least he likes us)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Well Done Lyndon on 08:47 - Apr 12 with 1005 viewsCiderwithRsie

Well Done Lyndon on 01:54 - Apr 12 by stainrods_elbow

I'm clearly one of those who did and felt he should be shipped back to Scotland pdq at the start of the year. He now needs to do it consistently but yesterday was just about as complete a centre forward showing as you'll see: skilled, great positioning/awareness, link-up play, a fabulous chest-off for the 4th, and 2 goals that could have been a hat trick - all without Charlie alongside him. Overall, he still has a lot of ground to make up, but if you're only as good as your last game, he's really starting to look the part, finally. Give that man a cigar and me another serving of humble pie!
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 1:58]

Well said.

One of the best things about our current form is that loads of people who have criticised players in the past have been able to see that improvement they wanted. Goes for Dykes, Wallace, Barbet and even Lumley had that nice little cameo the other day and has won some affection for the way he's conducted himself generally. LTC did it earlier as did Amos - let's hope they both resume where they left off. The debate over whether or not Willock is good enough seems over too. I sense that Kakay is slowly heading the same way and Chair is improving too.

What's good is that although I'm on the happy-clapper wing I know the critics don't actually want to slag the players, they just wanted to see them do better when they weren't good enough.
Well Done Lyndon on 09:33 - Apr 12 with 955 viewsQPROslo

All been said but that was a really good performance from Dykes Saturday, a continued improvement over the last few games, and a huge improvement on a few games before Christmas where he looked to have lost all confidence in himself. All credit to him and the people at the Club who have helped him turn it around.
Well Done Lyndon on 14:46 - Apr 12 with 877 viewskarl

The wedding I was at on Saturday was one of the boys that I go to Scotland games with so 5 of us together for first time in ages apart from Zoom parties!
We had no context to the game but Dykes getting 2 was a good talking point for us all, purely from a Scotland point of view his turn around in form (confidence) is great timing.
I've a feeling he's the level of player who would stay with us at top championship or low EPL, he will improve but I'm sure not enough for a top half EPL team to bid for him.
That said if Scotland improve and regularly qualify for finals(!!) and he handles himself at them then you never know.
Even if he rolls along at 10-12 goals a season there will be Championship teams who would pay decent money for him so if Kelman comes onto a game next couple of years then that would maybe be when we cashed in on our buy low policy.
Or possibly if Sinclair Armstrong progresses to first team as mentioned on other thread
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 14:48]
Well Done Lyndon on 15:03 - Apr 12 with 852 viewsdutch

I tend to be closer to Gazza on this than most. At times he has been hide behind the sofa bad; balls bouncing off, making wrong runs, seconds too late for good crosses, flicks on to nobody.. when he plays like that he does not look like a footballer, or even a sportsman, more some bloke from the pub with a silly hairdo. But to give him credit he has kept trying, and generally kept improving. Saturday was very encouraging, but I'm yet to understand how he can play like that one minute then look like an extra from Neighbours the next. Usually even poor players look like they understand the game most of the time.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:16 - Apr 12 with 840 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 15:03 - Apr 12 by dutch

I tend to be closer to Gazza on this than most. At times he has been hide behind the sofa bad; balls bouncing off, making wrong runs, seconds too late for good crosses, flicks on to nobody.. when he plays like that he does not look like a footballer, or even a sportsman, more some bloke from the pub with a silly hairdo. But to give him credit he has kept trying, and generally kept improving. Saturday was very encouraging, but I'm yet to understand how he can play like that one minute then look like an extra from Neighbours the next. Usually even poor players look like they understand the game most of the time.

There is a simple way of looking at a player; a good player for various reasons can play badly and sometimes very badly, the opposite is rarely true in that a very bad player can slot in at a decent level and play well.
Something happened between the international games, particularly his performance vs Serbia where he was twice the player compared to Mitrovic, and his revival over the last month.
Confidence, homesick, lack of squad training or simply fatigue. Who knows?
I never saw any poster say that he was playing well during the bad spell but there was plenty support for him remembering his previous form and the fact he was trying hard to get back to it.
Delighted for him and the club its looking like working out.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:17 - Apr 12 with 838 viewsfrancisbowles

Well Done Lyndon on 15:03 - Apr 12 by dutch

Confidence and fatigue. No one apart from me seems to mention the number of games he played in the first half or so of the season. With the Scotland games and the ones for Livingston before he joined us, I think he was on at least ten more than any of our players.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:35 - Apr 12 with 826 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 15:17 - Apr 12 by francisbowles

Confidence and fatigue. No one apart from me seems to mention the number of games he played in the first half or so of the season. With the Scotland games and the ones for Livingston before he joined us, I think he was on at least ten more than any of our players.

He'll probably play double the amount of games this season to what he would normally be used to.
Livingston are known to work very hard, it may be that his pre season was earlier and more intense than others in the squad too?
Well Done Lyndon on 15:48 - Apr 12 with 808 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Well Done Lyndon on 15:35 - Apr 12 by karl

He'll probably play double the amount of games this season to what he would normally be used to.
Livingston are known to work very hard, it may be that his pre season was earlier and more intense than others in the squad too?

So let me get this straight. QPR's poor start to the season was attributable to a lack of pre-season whilst Dykes' indifferent form was down to too much pre-season? I understand what you're getting at but you can't have it both ways I'm afraid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024