Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this site becoming too woke? 17:01 - Jan 25 with 17204 viewsknocker

Too many snowflakes?
Is this site becoming too woke? on 19:06 - Jan 26 with 2169 viewsqpr_1968

Is this site becoming too woke? on 17:35 - Jan 25 by wortonranger

For goodness sake. Stick to what we have in common and please don’t insult your fellow R’s. Keep politics and prejudice we’ll away from here.

exactly, there is two threads on this page starting with is.....
guess what everyones jumped on.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Is this site becoming too woke? on 20:00 - Jan 26 with 2066 viewsderbyhoop

I quite often listen to the Oh God What Now podcast.
Last week they discussed plans to end BBC license, because our State broadcaster is too woke. They commented that shows like Antiques Road Show were as traditional as you can get.
There was a suggestion that they bring in an Antiques Woke Show where grandparents bring in items looted from former colonies; they get called racist; and the items get confiscated. Not particularly PC, but quite qmusing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 20:05 - Jan 26 with 2058 viewsPunteR

Is this site becoming too woke? on 18:55 - Jan 26 by Match82

If you have an unpopular opinion and state it loudly, it's surely not surprising that a large number of people aren't going to react positively to it? Wouldn't be any different than if you made the same statement loudly in a pub full of people you didn't know.

Everyone should have the right to speak their mind on here as long as they do it respectfully but equally shouldn't be surprised if not everyone agrees with them and argues back.

Yeh i agree to an extent. How are you defining "loudly"? If you mean "loudly" as just starting a thread then i'll probably disagree. If you mean banging on about something repeatedly then i agree. :) There have been obvious ones on the covid related threads but there have been others.
Its definitely more chilled on here than the last few years though. Brexit, covid and QPR being shit didnt help.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is this site becoming too woke? on 21:47 - Jan 26 with 1965 viewsqprxtc

Woke me up before you go go.

Just remember this. Your opinion is the only real truth and everyone who even slightly disagrees is a despicable, putrid, puss filled caaaaant.

That also means that you a a despicable, putrid, puss filled caaaant for holding those views.

Up the R’s, f uck the whole world and GOD bless f ucking XTC. For they are divine.*

* not the divine who eats dogs hit and thinks you’re a man and only a boy. Oh how woke. Or was he/her/poodle.

Now f uck off, all of you ❤️
Is this site becoming too woke? on 21:52 - Jan 26 with 1948 viewsted_hendrix

Au contraire.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Is this site becoming too woke? on 21:57 - Jan 26 with 1919 viewsqprxtc

Is this site becoming too woke? on 21:52 - Jan 26 by ted_hendrix

Au contraire.

Ted, I love you.

But f uck off you git.

And also come back. And then f uck off. You c unt.

Also I love and I respect your wrong opinions. Y ou c unt. F uck orf.

The joys of being alive.

Although I doubt Ted is.

We’ll all be dead in fifty years.
Is this site becoming too woke? on 21:59 - Jan 26 with 1912 viewsMatch82

Is this site becoming too woke? on 20:05 - Jan 26 by PunteR

Yeh i agree to an extent. How are you defining "loudly"? If you mean "loudly" as just starting a thread then i'll probably disagree. If you mean banging on about something repeatedly then i agree. :) There have been obvious ones on the covid related threads but there have been others.
Its definitely more chilled on here than the last few years though. Brexit, covid and QPR being shit didnt help.

Definitely fair, it was a vague comment.
I think with any opinion then if you state it (on here or at a pub) you're inviting a reaction, positive or negative. I'd hope that the reaction is proportionate to the opinion - the more obnoxiously and aggressively you make your point, the more extreme a reaction you should expect.

Feels like online these days there are an increasing number of people who post stuff just to get a reaction that they would never say out loud to a pub full of strangers, and then seem shocked when people don't just go along with it
Is this site becoming too woke? on 22:56 - Jan 26 with 1845 viewsrobith

Is this site becoming too woke? on 17:11 - Jan 26 by knocker

I rest my case.

Login to get fewer ads

Is this site becoming too woke? on 23:35 - Jan 26 with 1775 viewsMetallica_Hoop

To go off on a tangent perhaps.

Gammon was appied to all who voted Brexit. Racist, xenophobic etc.

I voted to leave because I saw creeping federalisation ( I also argued this at school in 1994/5 in a debate and with some of you on here long before the vote) Those who went to school with me and post on here can verify that.

'Woke' as it was defined I agree with.

However I use 'woke' like 'gammon' to define someone who wants to get offended about something no one give a shit about anyway until they open their mouths and then make it somehow 'offensive'.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 23:38]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Is this site becoming too woke? on 23:50 - Jan 26 with 1753 viewsconnell10

So Rangers 4th in the league, things going well on and off the pitch , training ground etc.Then in the last few days I've seen posters slagging off our players Dykes , Chaz etc and thread like this started ....I mean WTF ?? Bloody hell can't we all just enjoy this moment and stop bitching!! I'll retire to bedlam!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Is this site becoming too woke? on 00:06 - Jan 27 with 1740 viewsQPsyR

Edited cos whats the point lol
Tidydarts no offence intended I think you must have missed my original second 'opposing' post or the sarcasm lol

[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 11:29]

FKA AcidPixie

Is this site becoming too woke? on 00:06 - Jan 27 with 1738 viewsQPsyR

L
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 9:50]

FKA AcidPixie

Is this site becoming too woke? (n/t) on 00:09 - Jan 27 with 1734 viewsQPsyR

Is this site becoming too woke? on 00:06 - Jan 27 by QPsyR

L

FKA AcidPixie

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:05 - Jan 27 with 1458 viewsSheffieldHoop

I think the problem is, what starts out as "being alert to injustice in society, especially racism" quickly turns into "police ignored the sexual abuse of children for decades for fear of increasing racial tensions" ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-chief-we-ignored-sex-abuse-of-children )

But we wouldn't care about that on this board, we're QPR and we're in 4th, so, you know, don't worry about it too much yeh? Norvern monkeys anyway!! Stay woke!

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:07 - Jan 27 with 1459 viewsPinnerPaul

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:05 - Jan 27 by SheffieldHoop

I think the problem is, what starts out as "being alert to injustice in society, especially racism" quickly turns into "police ignored the sexual abuse of children for decades for fear of increasing racial tensions" ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-chief-we-ignored-sex-abuse-of-children )

But we wouldn't care about that on this board, we're QPR and we're in 4th, so, you know, don't worry about it too much yeh? Norvern monkeys anyway!! Stay woke!

Its possible to 'care' about lots of things and not discuss them on a football related forum.

Not sure what your point is?

The two are not mutually exclusive.
Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:14 - Jan 27 with 1422 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:07 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

Its possible to 'care' about lots of things and not discuss them on a football related forum.

Not sure what your point is?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Alright let me try again

My point is this

(With a short acknowledgment that I probably shouldn't be posting this, but here we are anyway) - Clearer now?

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:15 - Jan 27 with 1428 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:05 - Jan 27 by SheffieldHoop

That's a cop-out (apologies for the pun) by the police. It's their job to investigate crimes.

On the broader point, being aware of injustice is always necessary whether that injustice is in your house or your society. Without awareness of an injustice there can be no prevention, by definition. Recent arguments by some in society that awareness actually leads to an increase are perverse imo.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:26 - Jan 27 with 1370 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:15 - Jan 27 by BrianMcCarthy

That's a cop-out (apologies for the pun) by the police. It's their job to investigate crimes.

On the broader point, being aware of injustice is always necessary whether that injustice is in your house or your society. Without awareness of an injustice there can be no prevention, by definition. Recent arguments by some in society that awareness actually leads to an increase are perverse imo.

On the broader point - Trying to make out that "Woke" still just means "alert to injustice in society, especially racism" when we're all quite aware that "woke" and the implications it brings have gone way past that - is also a cop-out

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:32 - Jan 27 with 1364 viewsPinnerPaul

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:14 - Jan 27 by SheffieldHoop

Alright let me try again

My point is this

(With a short acknowledgment that I probably shouldn't be posting this, but here we are anyway) - Clearer now?

Nope not really, my point still remains that it is possible to care about all these things without discussing them on here.

If we don't discuss such specifics on here not sure how individuals, let alone, the whole 'forum' can be labelled at all.

Easy to throw around accusations, not so easy to prove them.

Footnote - lose the patronising tone please, its not necessary - thanks.
Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:34 - Jan 27 with 1355 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:26 - Jan 27 by SheffieldHoop

On the broader point - Trying to make out that "Woke" still just means "alert to injustice in society, especially racism" when we're all quite aware that "woke" and the implications it brings have gone way past that - is also a cop-out

Well, that's the definition we're all using in this thread.

I would suggest that if people go way past that definition then they're way past being "woke".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:40 - Jan 27 with 1315 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:32 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

Nope not really, my point still remains that it is possible to care about all these things without discussing them on here.

If we don't discuss such specifics on here not sure how individuals, let alone, the whole 'forum' can be labelled at all.

Easy to throw around accusations, not so easy to prove them.

Footnote - lose the patronising tone please, its not necessary - thanks.

Seems I've touched a nerve there, Paul. I've never said that you cannot simultaneously care about both CSE in South Yorks and also use LFW. Never said it. Not a thing. It's all in your imagination. You've made it up.

I made a humorous (To me, anyway) comment about the landscape of LFW and what we should or should not be discussing on here - No need to take it so personally.

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:55 - Jan 27 with 1259 viewsPinnerPaul

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:40 - Jan 27 by SheffieldHoop

Seems I've touched a nerve there, Paul. I've never said that you cannot simultaneously care about both CSE in South Yorks and also use LFW. Never said it. Not a thing. It's all in your imagination. You've made it up.

I made a humorous (To me, anyway) comment about the landscape of LFW and what we should or should not be discussing on here - No need to take it so personally.

Its not in my imagination, its the title of the thread!
Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:57 - Jan 27 with 1251 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

Is this site becoming too woke? on 13:05 - Jan 27 with 1213 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:34 - Jan 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, that's the definition we're all using in this thread.

I would suggest that if people go way past that definition then they're way past being "woke".

Yeah, because that definition is being used as a cop-out.

The fact remains that "Wokeness" is leading to all sorts of mad bullshit everywhere all the time......This Rotherham case is a fairly historic (In the context of Wokeness, at least) example of it....More recently you could point to Stonewall as another example of wokness gone wrong ( https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/06/stonewall-risks-all-it-has Hopefully the Guardian is more to the LFW palette than the Times was)

Would be good if one day the purveyors of "Wokeness" might take some ownership of that. But as ever, all you see is denial.

Is this site becoming too woke? on 13:07 - Jan 27 with 1210 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this site becoming too woke? on 12:55 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

Its not in my imagination, its the title of the thread!

I didn't start the thread ?

And I've just checked - No it's not ???
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 13:09]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024