Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update 14:06 - Sep 16 with 16689 viewsSonofNorfolt

Every cloud and all that....

Leaving from the Black Horse Oldfield Lane, Greenford. (Nr Greenford tube.)
The pub will open early for breakfast, liquid or otherwise.

Email me for details with your phone number please.

melh64@hotmail.co.uk
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:47 - Sep 16 with 8378 views222gers

I used to drink in the Black 'Orse years ago. How is it ? Still Fuller's ?
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:46 - Sep 16 with 8243 viewsSonofNorfolt

Indeed it is.
It's under the threat of closure which we seem to be successfully fighting.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:52 - Sep 16 with 8225 viewsMick_S

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:46 - Sep 16 by SonofNorfolt

Indeed it is.

What’s going on there, Mel?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 16:17 - Sep 16 with 8157 viewsdenhamhoop2

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:46 - Sep 16 by SonofNorfolt

Indeed it is.

Is it down to simple economics or the whole Greenford Quays debacle where the new builds want to get rid of old Greenford and any vestige of working class culture I have also heard the Railway is going to close as well. That's not good I shall have to go to work stone cold sober
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 20:25 - Sep 16 with 7788 viewsDWQPR

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 16:17 - Sep 16 by denhamhoop2

Is it down to simple economics or the whole Greenford Quays debacle where the new builds want to get rid of old Greenford and any vestige of working class culture I have also heard the Railway is going to close as well. That's not good I shall have to go to work stone cold sober

Black Horse suffered massively with the closure of Glaxo but would have thought that with the development of Greenford Quay that a whole new clientele would have revived it. Haven’t been in for a few years since having the shîttiest of shîtty meals. Polish chef there at the time was abysmal and I haven’t been back since. The Railway was the pub where I started drinking. Old boozer with old boozer traits. Again haven’t been in there for many a year and the revamp with orange paint outside hasn’t endeared it. Shame really if both go. Certainly the Black Horse under the right management ought to be a decent boozer but the Railway as the old adage goes, you can’t polish a turd.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 20:40 - Sep 16 with 7773 viewsNorthantsHoop

Spent my formative years in the 1980s in the Black Horse. We had a decent football team as well.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 22:12 - Sep 16 with 7641 viewsBoston

No recollection of ever stepping in the door of the Railway, but was in the Black Horse a few times. Mind you its at least 35 years since my last visit when I'd pop down on Sunday evenings with my motorcycling enthusiast chum, Stephen. Fair crowd of serious bikers in there in those days.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:53 - Sep 17 with 7287 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 16:17 - Sep 16 by denhamhoop2

Although I don’t live in the UK, I usually try pop in when back visiting the mother.

I wrote to the local MP - who has got involved - and although he can only respond to constituents, he nonetheless replied and as I understand it, there’s a reprieve.

Fullers have gone down in my estimation. Having sold the brewery side of their business to Asahi, they’ve become a property company and so the site of the BH is now prime for development along with the hash that Greenford Quays has become. I think Fullers have been doing anything to drive punters out; prices are high and several times I’ve been things not delivered. Meanwhile the Greenwood seems to be reaping the benefits.

The BH always a proper pub, in fact I’m going to pop in later for one.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 19:17 - Sep 17 with 7017 viewsstowmarketrange

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:53 - Sep 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Although I don’t live in the UK, I usually try pop in when back visiting the mother.

I wrote to the local MP - who has got involved - and although he can only respond to constituents, he nonetheless replied and as I understand it, there’s a reprieve.

Fullers have gone down in my estimation. Having sold the brewery side of their business to Asahi, they’ve become a property company and so the site of the BH is now prime for development along with the hash that Greenford Quays has become. I think Fullers have been doing anything to drive punters out; prices are high and several times I’ve been things not delivered. Meanwhile the Greenwood seems to be reaping the benefits.

A bit like Youngs of Wandsworth.They sold the site and moved out to the sticks.God knows where they’re based now but it certainly ain’t Wandsworth.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 20:10 - Sep 17 with 6977 viewscolinallcars

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:53 - Sep 17 by PlanetHonneywood

I've always been a Fuller's fan and used to love the Mawson's next to the brewery. Strange opening times - 8am to 8m, Mon - Fri and only latterly open at weekends.
Now it's gone altogether with Fuller's selling out.
It's been a bitter blow (geddit?), for us West Londoners with Young's disappearing some years ago.
The contract between the new Fuller's pubco and Fuller's brewery (now owned by Asahi), ends in a couple of years, so who knows whether such famous beers as London Pride, London Porter, ESB (already becoming hard to find), Honeydew and others will still be here in a few years.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 21:25 - Sep 17 with 6906 viewscolinallcars

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 19:17 - Sep 17 by stowmarketrange

A bit like Youngs of Wandsworth.They sold the site and moved out to the sticks.God knows where they’re based now but it certainly ain’t Wandsworth.

I think Young's kept their pubs but the brewing passed to Charles Wells with disasterous results - I saw a bloke in tears when he tasted the Wells brewed Special. The brewing has now passed on to Marston's but equally poor.
Fortunately, Young's pubs, or Ram Pub Company as it's now called often have guest beers notably St Austell Proper Job which is wonderful.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 22:05 - Sep 17 with 6890 viewsstowmarketrange

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 21:25 - Sep 17 by colinallcars

I think Young's kept their pubs but the brewing passed to Charles Wells with disasterous results - I saw a bloke in tears when he tasted the Wells brewed Special. The brewing has now passed on to Marston's but equally poor.
Fortunately, Young's pubs, or Ram Pub Company as it's now called often have guest beers notably St Austell Proper Job which is wonderful.

I had a pint of Youngs in the Wetherspoons in sunderland last month and it certainly didn’t taste the same as it used to do.Just the one pint before I went back to the Guinness.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 08:48 - Sep 18 with 6682 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A few years back I lived and Battersea and round the corner was a young startup brewery called Sambrookes.

They’ve grown in strength, brew some good stuff and a trip to their brewery was always a pleasure. I understand they moved there operation into the Young’s site - don’t think they’ve taken the whole site.

But them and other small outfits are the way forward...well until they sell out to one of the big three of course!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 09:41 - Sep 18 with 6625 viewstraininvain

Young’s sold the brewery and outsourced the brewing but they have recently moved their offices back to Wandsworth.

Ram Pub co was Young’s tenanted division which was sold to Punch Taverns for 50 odd million last year. They are now fully focussed on managed house pubs.

Sambrooks is well worth a visit at the old Young’s brewery site. Tasty beers, food and beer museum. Probably now London’s oldest independently owned brewer?

The Mawsons is on the market for sale so I would expect that to close soon if it hasn’t already. I doubt Fullers beer will be brewed in west London in five years time.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:38 - Sep 18 with 6539 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 09:41 - Sep 18 by traininvain

Young’s sold the brewery and outsourced the brewing but they have recently moved their offices back to Wandsworth.

Ram Pub co was Young’s tenanted division which was sold to Punch Taverns for 50 odd million last year. They are now fully focussed on managed house pubs.

Sambrooks is well worth a visit at the old Young’s brewery site. Tasty beers, food and beer museum. Probably now London’s oldest independently owned brewer?

The Mawsons is on the market for sale so I would expect that to close soon if it hasn’t already. I doubt Fullers beer will be brewed in west London in five years time.

A pint of Sambrookes Wandle is a fine tipple.

What I liked about them was the fact that they took a chance on different brews. They made a Christmas one about 2015 and freely admitted it was not their best! It was rough, but for me, added to the spirit of the place. They also used the experience to learn from.

There’s an independent in Perivale selling out of the farm in Horsenden Hill. Had some indifferent stuff I have to say, but they had an IPA a few years back that was quaffable.

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:03 - Sep 18 with 6444 viewsTheRam

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 20:25 - Sep 16 by DWQPR

Black Horse suffered massively with the closure of Glaxo but would have thought that with the development of Greenford Quay that a whole new clientele would have revived it. Haven’t been in for a few years since having the shîttiest of shîtty meals. Polish chef there at the time was abysmal and I haven’t been back since. The Railway was the pub where I started drinking. Old boozer with old boozer traits. Again haven’t been in there for many a year and the revamp with orange paint outside hasn’t endeared it. Shame really if both go. Certainly the Black Horse under the right management ought to be a decent boozer but the Railway as the old adage goes, you can’t polish a turd.

Sat in the Black horse right now. Not been to Greenford for a while, you’ll be pleased to hear, as I was pleased to see…the railway is no longer orange x
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:06 - Sep 18 with 6437 viewsTheRam

Does Wandsworth smell of hops again? Was weird when youngs went and that smell with it x
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:20 - Sep 18 with 6361 viewscolinallcars

Sadly, the Mawson shut a long time ago and is stripped out and the pub signs gone.
Fuller's also sold the London Apprentice - an historic pub a few years back. Tradition means nothing to them.
I agree that the whole Fullers site will be sold off and Fuller's ale may disappear altogether.
When I was young most people drank Watneys and Whitbread and couldn't stand the distinctive flavour of Fullers. The old joke was that Fuller Smith and Turner should read Full o' shit and Turnips.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:45 - Sep 18 with 6339 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:03 - Sep 18 by TheRam

Sat in the Black horse right now. Not been to Greenford for a while, you’ll be pleased to hear, as I was pleased to see…the railway is no longer orange x

Mrs PH and I currently here too.

Watching the Everton game. You still here?

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 10:09 - Sep 19 with 5897 viewsQPROslo

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 20:10 - Sep 17 by colinallcars

I've always been a Fuller's fan and used to love the Mawson's next to the brewery. Strange opening times - 8am to 8m, Mon - Fri and only latterly open at weekends.
Now it's gone altogether with Fuller's selling out.
It's been a bitter blow (geddit?), for us West Londoners with Young's disappearing some years ago.
The contract between the new Fuller's pubco and Fuller's brewery (now owned by Asahi), ends in a couple of years, so who knows whether such famous beers as London Pride, London Porter, ESB (already becoming hard to find), Honeydew and others will still be here in a few years.

A pint of Fuller''s draft ESB is the best beer I've ever drunk. Not been able to get back to London for a few years now, sounds like I better get back soon while I can still enjoy an ESB.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:45 - Sep 19 with 5823 viewsMick_S

I had a pint of Pride in Hillingdon yesterday and it was rank. Has the beer changed or just badly kept? I’m not an expert.

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 13:08 - Sep 19 with 5773 viewsPunteR

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:20 - Sep 18 by colinallcars

Sadly, the Mawson shut a long time ago and is stripped out and the pub signs gone.
Fuller's also sold the London Apprentice - an historic pub a few years back. Tradition means nothing to them.
I agree that the whole Fullers site will be sold off and Fuller's ale may disappear altogether.
When I was young most people drank Watneys and Whitbread and couldn't stand the distinctive flavour of Fullers. The old joke was that Fuller Smith and Turner should read Full o' shit and Turnips.

Watneys Brewery in Mortlake had a very distinctive smell around the place.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 13:10 - Sep 19 with 5773 viewsSonofNorfolt

First things first, coach or possibly coaches will leave the aforementioned Public House at 9.30. It will open about 8am for breakfast for a fiver, pre-ordered.

melh64@hotmail.co.uk

With impeccable timing, the Save the Black Horse Commitee of which I am a part, met on Friday night with James Murray MP to update our strategies and take a nauseating Xmas photo.
The boozer has now been registered by Ealing Council as an asset of community value which is the first barrier in place to deter potential developers, getting the old frontage listed is the next step.

Mick, I think you were unfortunate in drinking a ropey pint, generally the standard is still OK.
Ahh.... ESB, arguably the maddest ale in the World. 5.6% ABV they say on the pump, surely they are lying. It ferments in your head. I've never quite made it to double figures or if I did, have no recollection of doing so. Still available in most decent Fullers houses.

John, luckily for you The Ram was singing the Benny Hill theme tune in the Railway by the time you were there yesterday, however he is reappearing for the Bristol game when I'll have to suffer him for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.......
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:59 - Sep 19 with 5566 viewscolinallcars

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 11:45 - Sep 19 by Mick_S

I had a pint of Pride in Hillingdon yesterday and it was rank. Has the beer changed or just badly kept? I’m not an expert.

Just badly kept Mick. Apparently since lockdown, Real Ale sales have dropped off and it's a vicious circle. People come across poorly kept ale which has been in the barrel too long so have something else.
Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 15:04 - Sep 19 with 5537 viewsMick_S

Coach to Bristol City Oct 1 update on 14:59 - Sep 19 by colinallcars

Just badly kept Mick. Apparently since lockdown, Real Ale sales have dropped off and it's a vicious circle. People come across poorly kept ale which has been in the barrel too long so have something else.

Ok, mate, thanks - that makes sense. The pub I was in is also a restaurant and it is just far too expensive. £17:00 for shepherd’s pie. Blimus.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2022 15:17]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024