Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 23163 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 14:04 - Jan 19 with 7988 viewsBluce_Ree

Currently I've got two guitars. An Ibanez for fast shreddy stuff and a Tele copy for just fannying about. I love Teles. Someone once said that they're the sort of default guitar, like it doesn't help you at all. You have to earn your tone and chops on it.

I bought an actual Fender Tele back in 1990. It was unreliable dogshit though. The socket fell off during a gig. All the internal leads came out. Rubbish. Sold it for a good profit about seven years ago despite it being knacked.

I'm now using one of these. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_t_hh_ht_eb_bk.htm

It's the nicest looking Tele ever made. Oddly it has two humbuckers and a trem. Compared to the Ibanez it's like playing on train tracks. But I couldn't give up on it, despite it being terribly set up.

I've since adjusted the neck and attempted to polish the frets. I sort of love it. One thing it's good for is that it has a graphtech nut and locking tuners. The nut helps it stay in tune, the tuners make restringing it a breeze.

Apologies to non-guitarists who are bored out of their minds now.

Guitar playing thread on 14:17 - Jan 19 with 7936 viewsA40Bosh

Guitar playing thread on 14:04 - Jan 19 by Bluce_Ree

Currently I've got two guitars. An Ibanez for fast shreddy stuff and a Tele copy for just fannying about. I love Teles. Someone once said that they're the sort of default guitar, like it doesn't help you at all. You have to earn your tone and chops on it.

I bought an actual Fender Tele back in 1990. It was unreliable dogshit though. The socket fell off during a gig. All the internal leads came out. Rubbish. Sold it for a good profit about seven years ago despite it being knacked.

I'm now using one of these. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_t_hh_ht_eb_bk.htm

It's the nicest looking Tele ever made. Oddly it has two humbuckers and a trem. Compared to the Ibanez it's like playing on train tracks. But I couldn't give up on it, despite it being terribly set up.

I've since adjusted the neck and attempted to polish the frets. I sort of love it. One thing it's good for is that it has a graphtech nut and locking tuners. The nut helps it stay in tune, the tuners make restringing it a breeze.

Apologies to non-guitarists who are bored out of their minds now.

Do I assume the OP is only referencing and inviting updates from those who play something with a minimum of 6 guitar sized strings on it and those of us who can only count up to 4 should start our own thread?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Guitar playing thread on 14:29 - Jan 19 with 7930 viewsBluce_Ree

Ain't going to lie. Bass is cooler than guitar so let's get that in here too.

I started as a bassist. Bought the biggest piece of shit bass of all time. Spent a year learning New Model Army and The Cult (when they were good) basslines but then switched over to guitar because I hated my bass so much.

Guitar playing thread on 14:35 - Jan 19 with 7907 viewsJuzzie

I could play the main part of "Green Onions" on the bass guitar. That's as far as I got.
Guitar playing thread on 14:42 - Jan 19 with 7889 viewsRs_Holy

started playing guitar during Lockdown 1.0 ... still going strong.

started with a 2nd hand Crafter GAE6N
then got a Yamaha APX 600 after advice from a guitar playing friend
then got my first full on electric... a G&L Tribute (strat copy)
then got an Alvarez LJ2 Little Jumbo Travel Guitar (for holidays)
Guitar playing thread on 14:53 - Jan 19 with 7896 viewsSonofpugwash

Had a 1969 copy of a 1955 Les Paul Standard - P90 pickups and a 1969 Telecaster,sunburst.maple neck,Wing Music Ealing Broadway £99.

Marshall 100 watt stack that used to belong to Jimi Hendrix Experience.(some bastard nicked it out of the van)

Did a bit of slide blues guitar,can't do a damn thing now on account of bad arthriris in me germans.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 14:54 - Jan 19 with 7889 viewsdmm

Way back in the day I had a lovely old Fender Tele which had a Gibson humbucker pickup fitted as well as its normal Fender pickup. Sold it when I was stoney broke and have always regretted it.

These days I just mess around on a nice Takamine EN20 acoustic.
Guitar playing thread on 14:58 - Jan 19 with 7868 viewshubble

Yeah, I still play - had a few stints in bands in the mists of time. Currently I only have two guitars, my beloved 1961 Levin acoustic that I've owned since 1982 and a nylon string Yamaha I bought for my daughter. The Levin has had a chequered history; when I bought it, it had the most beautiful action of any guitar I've played, before or since. And an exquisite sound. Then - bizarre coincidence or cosmic comedy - the day I bought a sunburst Strat - my first electric since my teens - I returned home to find the headstock had snapped off my Levin. It was if it was saying 'feck you, and feck electric!'. Took it to the long gone Potter's Music in Richmond where I bought it and Gerry told me he'd fix it free of charge. When I went to pick it up, the repairer (whoever he was) had changed the fecking neck. Without asking me first. I simply couldn't believe it. That beautiful action, destroyed! The strings were about half an inch off the neck. In the following years I took it to two different repairers and the action is good now, but nowhere near what it was. Nevertheless it still has a fantastic sound - good enough for David Gedge to use it on his solo album.

I've never really got on with electric guitars - even though I've had a couple of Strats, a Les Paul and an SG, a couple of Teles an Ibanez and a few others I can't remember. I just love playing acoustics and the way they sound. Played all kinds of em, Ovations, Tanglewoods, Takamines, Epiphones, Gibsons and Martins, but still love my battered Levin the best.

Last week part of the bridge broke away and the bottom E pin came flying out, so when I get some dosh I'm going to take it to Scrim at the Richmond guitar workshop to lovingly restore it to its former glory. You should take your Tele to him Bluce, he's top notch.

Oh - a side note - I once played with Peter Green when he lived in a little house in the Alberts in Richmond. His hair was a matted mess and his fingernails were about an inch long and he was permanently stoned, but it was still quite an experience to jam with such a legendary player.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 15:04 - Jan 19 with 7845 viewsA40Bosh

Guitar playing thread on 14:29 - Jan 19 by Bluce_Ree

Ain't going to lie. Bass is cooler than guitar so let's get that in here too.

I started as a bassist. Bought the biggest piece of shit bass of all time. Spent a year learning New Model Army and The Cult (when they were good) basslines but then switched over to guitar because I hated my bass so much.

Thanks Bruce, you might regret this later.

My brother walked out of my 'music room' a couple of months shaking his head and telling the household "Oh, how times have changed". He then showed my dad a photo he had just taken of my Jaydee Celete Fretless 5 String bass which is mounted on the wall but now has two golf caps hanging off the body horns of the bass. He said I would have shot someone for doing that a few years ago.

Being left-handed I tended to not chop and change basses too much.

I got myself a sunburst Sire Marcus Miller V7 for my 50th Birthday
I have had my black Musicman Stringray 4 since about 2004/5
I had the Jaydee Custom Celeste Fretless 5 made for me in 1991
I did have a Jaydee Mark King Series III 4 string for about 20 years but I found it so heavy in the last few years I flogged it to a bloke who did not want to wait 3 years for a new one to be shipped
I have a Tanglewood electro-acoustic which I got from my family for my 40th - that reminds me, I need to get a new tuning peg as it is currently down to 3 strings!

Been a GK Bass Amp fan for 30 years and have an MB800 head going in to a Barefaced Super Twin 2 x 12 cab, that is 1000w rated but I could pick it up and carry it with 2 fingers under the handle

Retired from active gigging in a covers band (since 1992) last year as it was getting in the way of my golf time (new passion picked up during lockdown)

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Guitar playing thread on 15:05 - Jan 19 with 7853 viewsToast_R

Fender Precision Bass in the loft,
No named electric in Stratocaster shape, blue - Plays alright tbf but also in the loft.

Had a very nice Royal Blue Fender Stratocaster - suspended bridge, beautiful, but I sold to go travelling in 2003. Silly boy.

Also had a Goldtop Epiphone Les Paul - sold that on Ebay some years ago, looked the business but in truth I never really got on with it, a bit heavy round the shoulder.

Now I just have my semi acoustic around the house which needs a new E string as we speak.
Guitar playing thread on 15:07 - Jan 19 with 7837 viewsdmm

Guitar playing thread on 14:58 - Jan 19 by hubble

Yeah, I still play - had a few stints in bands in the mists of time. Currently I only have two guitars, my beloved 1961 Levin acoustic that I've owned since 1982 and a nylon string Yamaha I bought for my daughter. The Levin has had a chequered history; when I bought it, it had the most beautiful action of any guitar I've played, before or since. And an exquisite sound. Then - bizarre coincidence or cosmic comedy - the day I bought a sunburst Strat - my first electric since my teens - I returned home to find the headstock had snapped off my Levin. It was if it was saying 'feck you, and feck electric!'. Took it to the long gone Potter's Music in Richmond where I bought it and Gerry told me he'd fix it free of charge. When I went to pick it up, the repairer (whoever he was) had changed the fecking neck. Without asking me first. I simply couldn't believe it. That beautiful action, destroyed! The strings were about half an inch off the neck. In the following years I took it to two different repairers and the action is good now, but nowhere near what it was. Nevertheless it still has a fantastic sound - good enough for David Gedge to use it on his solo album.

I've never really got on with electric guitars - even though I've had a couple of Strats, a Les Paul and an SG, a couple of Teles an Ibanez and a few others I can't remember. I just love playing acoustics and the way they sound. Played all kinds of em, Ovations, Tanglewoods, Takamines, Epiphones, Gibsons and Martins, but still love my battered Levin the best.

Last week part of the bridge broke away and the bottom E pin came flying out, so when I get some dosh I'm going to take it to Scrim at the Richmond guitar workshop to lovingly restore it to its former glory. You should take your Tele to him Bluce, he's top notch.

Oh - a side note - I once played with Peter Green when he lived in a little house in the Alberts in Richmond. His hair was a matted mess and his fingernails were about an inch long and he was permanently stoned, but it was still quite an experience to jam with such a legendary player.

When I lived in the Richmond area in the 80s and 90s I used to walk past Peter Green hanging about in shop doorways on George Street. He was always such a mess with his glazed eyes and dirty long fingernails. What a waste of a beautiful talent but I'm pleased he eventually pulled himself together.
Guitar playing thread on 15:21 - Jan 19 with 7796 viewshubble

Guitar playing thread on 15:07 - Jan 19 by dmm

When I lived in the Richmond area in the 80s and 90s I used to walk past Peter Green hanging about in shop doorways on George Street. He was always such a mess with his glazed eyes and dirty long fingernails. What a waste of a beautiful talent but I'm pleased he eventually pulled himself together.

He had a kid with a mate of mine in the early 80s, Dave. She was about 17 and they were both getting stoned all the time and she went a bit doolally poor love. I saw her not long ago and she's fine now. Weird times back then, especially in Richmond!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Guitar playing thread on 15:46 - Jan 19 with 7775 viewscolinallcars

I'm primarily a piano player but as my preferences are jazz and classical, I'm nowhere near good enough - we are talking REAL music.
As for geetah, I've been playing since the late 60s and played in a few poor bluesy bands.
I gave up altogether some years back but thought I'd get one last guitar - a Fender Player Strat.
At the moment, my playing is arthritic and awful. I'm thinking of having the instrument professional set up as I think this might help my painful reintroduction.
Maybe advice from Fender Ted ?
Guitar playing thread on 16:15 - Jan 19 with 7766 viewstkqpr

Whats the best way to learn?

Is there any YouTube people to follow, or online courses?

Ive got an Vintage VEC500N - bought it 10 years ago and said i wanted to learn French and play the guitar by the time i was 50...... alas it has never happened, for either....im 52!

You guys seem pros, but i just need the right starting point and clear path to learn. I dont fancy having someone round charging me £40/hr each week.

Any advice greatly welcomed
Guitar playing thread on 16:20 - Jan 19 with 7759 viewsMonkey_Roots

No love for the Ukelele?
Guitar playing thread on 16:43 - Jan 19 with 7708 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 14:53 - Jan 19 by Sonofpugwash

Had a 1969 copy of a 1955 Les Paul Standard - P90 pickups and a 1969 Telecaster,sunburst.maple neck,Wing Music Ealing Broadway £99.

Marshall 100 watt stack that used to belong to Jimi Hendrix Experience.(some bastard nicked it out of the van)

Did a bit of slide blues guitar,can't do a damn thing now on account of bad arthriris in me germans.

I made a point of trying to learn slide guitar. It got a lot better when I got a decent glass slide rather than one of those metal ones. I'm not brilliant at it but I keep trying.

In the summer my whole thing was sitting on my garden swing chair playing slide guitar.

Guitar playing thread on 16:44 - Jan 19 with 7706 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 15:04 - Jan 19 by A40Bosh

Thanks Bruce, you might regret this later.

My brother walked out of my 'music room' a couple of months shaking his head and telling the household "Oh, how times have changed". He then showed my dad a photo he had just taken of my Jaydee Celete Fretless 5 String bass which is mounted on the wall but now has two golf caps hanging off the body horns of the bass. He said I would have shot someone for doing that a few years ago.

Being left-handed I tended to not chop and change basses too much.

I got myself a sunburst Sire Marcus Miller V7 for my 50th Birthday
I have had my black Musicman Stringray 4 since about 2004/5
I had the Jaydee Custom Celeste Fretless 5 made for me in 1991
I did have a Jaydee Mark King Series III 4 string for about 20 years but I found it so heavy in the last few years I flogged it to a bloke who did not want to wait 3 years for a new one to be shipped
I have a Tanglewood electro-acoustic which I got from my family for my 40th - that reminds me, I need to get a new tuning peg as it is currently down to 3 strings!

Been a GK Bass Amp fan for 30 years and have an MB800 head going in to a Barefaced Super Twin 2 x 12 cab, that is 1000w rated but I could pick it up and carry it with 2 fingers under the handle

Retired from active gigging in a covers band (since 1992) last year as it was getting in the way of my golf time (new passion picked up during lockdown)

My brother in law bought one of those Marcus Miller Sires last November. It's so good. The tone is unreal.

Guitar playing thread on 16:46 - Jan 19 with 7685 viewsJuzzie

Guitar playing thread on 16:20 - Jan 19 by Monkey_Roots

No love for the Ukelele?

My son (8) just started last week! He's well happy.
Guitar playing thread on 16:46 - Jan 19 with 7678 viewsted_hendrix

Electric Guitars;
Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Bigsby (sunburst). Tuned to Open E.
Fender Vintera Series 70' Telecaster Custom (Black) Tuned to drop D.
Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Modified (Seafoam Blue) Tuned half a step down.
Fender American Vintage 1957 Mk2 Stratocaster; Solid ash body in vintage blond colour brutally beautiful PUPS, tuned half a step down (Just Like Jimi)
PRS SE Standard (coil tapping) only had It a Month but It's very good. Tuned hald a step down.
Acoustic Guitars;
Faith Neptune cut away Electro, All mahogany (no laminate) Tuned to open D.
Faith Venus cut away Electro, Rosewood back and sides-spruce top (no laminate) Tuned standard.
Faith Venus cut away Electro 12 string, Rosewood back and sides-spruce top (no laminate) Tuned down two whole steps.
Amplifiers;
Vox AC15 Custom 15 Watt all valve--all history and OMG that sound!!!!
Fender vintage tweed Pro Junior15 Watt ; 1 volume 1 tone and that's It apart from the gorgeous 10" Jensen speaker, no gimmicks just tone and then more tone.
Marshall DSL1 Head and Marshall 1 X 12 matching Celestion speaker fitted Cab.
Fender Deluxe Tweed 1 X 12 cab Sometimes put the Pro Junior throgh this (insert another OMG) what a sound.
I took delivery yesterday of a Vox MV50 AC 50W Nutube Portable Head check em out on You tube.
Two peddle boards

I can put pics up if anybody Is interested? all you have to do Is tell me how???

Hey Joe.

I met Jim Marshall at the NEC guitar show many years ago, what a nice bloke he was.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 16:48 - Jan 19 with 7668 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 16:15 - Jan 19 by tkqpr

Whats the best way to learn?

Is there any YouTube people to follow, or online courses?

Ive got an Vintage VEC500N - bought it 10 years ago and said i wanted to learn French and play the guitar by the time i was 50...... alas it has never happened, for either....im 52!

You guys seem pros, but i just need the right starting point and clear path to learn. I dont fancy having someone round charging me £40/hr each week.

Any advice greatly welcomed

Initially learn songs. It's like learning to cook. Follow some recipes, get the techniques down by repetition. You don't have to learn things perfectly. Just get used to playing there or thereabouts. I'd jam along to Hendrix songs for hours but never learned the solos, I'd just do my own thing and roughly try to match up for any key musical phrases.

Then when you get half decent at that, you can go back and learn the songs properly (YouTube is great for that).

But really, the thing to do is to try to play things that you just cannot play now and again. A difficult song or piece of music. It honestly improves you a lot.

Also, and this is pretty vague but try to spot how it's all connected. A riff by Green Day isn't a million miles away from Metallica. Guns n Roses isn't a million miles away from Hendrix. People are all essentially doing the same few things but in different ways.

Also, think about what you want from guitar. Do you want to play a certain style? Do you want to play like a certain player? Do you want to write music or learn music? Do you want to improvise?

I basically wanted to be the guitarist from Killing Joke and that sort of set my path when it came to learning.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 16:50]

Guitar playing thread on 16:49 - Jan 19 with 7665 viewsericgen34

I've got quite a few guitars, now shared with my sons. My favourite one, which is the one I play all the time is a Guild starfire V, as seen in the avatar. Fantastic guitar to play. It plays like butter, far nicer to play in my humble opinion than all the Gibson and Fenders I have tried. Although I have a 1976 custom tele that I also really love. I'm generally a big fan of Guild, I have also an old acoustic D20 that's been martyrised, left in the sun, the rain, hot cars, has a few holes in it ans still plays as beautiful and just as the first time

I'm now in a band touring locally in the south of France, with a tour in the rest of France planned for late March. Would love to go to play in the UK if there are any tour organisers on here :) We are a trio playing Clash, Suede, Stone Roses etc... inspired type stuff

Oh I've been playing nigh on everyday for the last 45 years and the band practice is once a week :)
Guitar playing thread on 16:59 - Jan 19 with 7648 viewsBluce_Ree

It looks like a nice guitar, Eric. I'm a big fan of that ES-335 style.

Guitar playing thread on 17:07 - Jan 19 with 7626 viewsericgen34

Guitar playing thread on 16:59 - Jan 19 by Bluce_Ree

It looks like a nice guitar, Eric. I'm a big fan of that ES-335 style.

Yes it's great. If you can try it somewhere, you'll be amazed
Guitar playing thread on 17:31 - Jan 19 with 7592 viewsCateLeBonR

I’ve got a yamaha compass series semi-acoustic. It’s ok nothing special. Looks nice hanging on the wall. I used to have a Fender Stratocaster which I never really got on with and also a jumbo acoustic from the Czech Republic or somewhere, which was difficult to play but had a nice tone.

I started getting bad wrist pain after trying to learn fingerstyle technique, like the bluegrass players. I’d wake up at night in agony so packed it in. I don’t miss it that much, in truth I never felt the guitar was my instrument. Reasons for playing were more sociable and convenience.

Piano has always been my favourite. I was playing quite a lot up until last year but have hardly touched it lately. I just can’t seem to focus at the moment. 🤷‍♂️
Guitar playing thread on 17:32 - Jan 19 with 7589 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 16:46 - Jan 19 by ted_hendrix

Electric Guitars;
Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Bigsby (sunburst). Tuned to Open E.
Fender Vintera Series 70' Telecaster Custom (Black) Tuned to drop D.
Fender Vintera Series 60's Telecaster Modified (Seafoam Blue) Tuned half a step down.
Fender American Vintage 1957 Mk2 Stratocaster; Solid ash body in vintage blond colour brutally beautiful PUPS, tuned half a step down (Just Like Jimi)
PRS SE Standard (coil tapping) only had It a Month but It's very good. Tuned hald a step down.
Acoustic Guitars;
Faith Neptune cut away Electro, All mahogany (no laminate) Tuned to open D.
Faith Venus cut away Electro, Rosewood back and sides-spruce top (no laminate) Tuned standard.
Faith Venus cut away Electro 12 string, Rosewood back and sides-spruce top (no laminate) Tuned down two whole steps.
Amplifiers;
Vox AC15 Custom 15 Watt all valve--all history and OMG that sound!!!!
Fender vintage tweed Pro Junior15 Watt ; 1 volume 1 tone and that's It apart from the gorgeous 10" Jensen speaker, no gimmicks just tone and then more tone.
Marshall DSL1 Head and Marshall 1 X 12 matching Celestion speaker fitted Cab.
Fender Deluxe Tweed 1 X 12 cab Sometimes put the Pro Junior throgh this (insert another OMG) what a sound.
I took delivery yesterday of a Vox MV50 AC 50W Nutube Portable Head check em out on You tube.
Two peddle boards

I can put pics up if anybody Is interested? all you have to do Is tell me how???

Hey Joe.

I met Jim Marshall at the NEC guitar show many years ago, what a nice bloke he was.

Very impressive.

My list:

Gibson 'the Paul' electric guitar.

Washburn - can't think of the model name off the top of my head.

Warwick 5 string fretless thumb bass. Has 26 frets for some inexplicable reason.

Fender US precision bass

Fender malibu acoustic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024