Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whats your opinion 16:56 - Jan 22 with 3218 viewsTGRRRSSS

There was an article by Jonathan Northcroft in Sunday Times today about Erik Ten Hag and the changes at Man United since his arrival ( and some before).

However one bit I found interesting essentially the article was praising him and all about his standards etc.

ONe bit harred for me.

A B team player came to collect some boots he'd lent an first teamer - now ETH was there and screamed at him to "get out you need to earn the right to come in here.

Now JN's piece seemed to approve this as evidence of what makes him a brilliant t manager - and I am sure a lot does.

Personally however I thought it made ETH look a pr`ck in this instance and somehow JN used it as a form of praise.

I don't like ETH personally but then I wouldn't given my ABU like tendencies.

Nevertheless I thought it interesting bit and wondered what others thought.

Doesn't make for approachable management I wouldn't have thought.

After all if he was so organised why did a player not have his own boots?
Whats your opinion on 01:52 - Jan 23 with 2890 viewsNorthernr

One of those things that if you're winning, which they have been until this week hahaha, journos hold that up and go "oooooh look, microcosm, that's why he's so brilliant, finer details, love it."

If they'd just lost five in a row the same story would be in the piece but framed as "alienated players, treated junior members of the squad with disdain, upset people with his extreme behaviour" etc.
Whats your opinion on 06:09 - Jan 23 with 2810 viewsMick_S

It’s the behaviour of a prick. Manufactured anger, and Clive is spot on.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Whats your opinion on 08:47 - Jan 23 with 2623 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terrible management. Awful behaviour.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Whats your opinion on 08:52 - Jan 23 with 2592 viewssprocket

Whats your opinion on 08:47 - Jan 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Terrible management. Awful behaviour.

This. It's called bullying.
Whats your opinion on 09:04 - Jan 23 with 2556 viewswombat

Whats your opinion on 08:52 - Jan 23 by sprocket

This. It's called bullying.

sounds like a cockwomble to me

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Whats your opinion on 09:10 - Jan 23 with 2532 viewsPhildo

Seems a knob so well suited to that club. Hope Luke Shaw is looking after the new arsehole Saka tore him yesterday.
Whats your opinion on 09:26 - Jan 23 with 2461 viewsrobith

I get that that United squad really needs some hard love but that's just piss poor behaviour tbh.

The thing about standards are they have to be self replicating. I read Joe Schmidt's book - the former head coach of the Irish rugby team. It's more a book about coaching than rugby. He talks about how he would work with the squad to set the standards required so they were all bought in. He flags a couple of examples where senior players at Leinster would drag junior players into line if they resisted his training techniques, and in NZ one of his team's coming to him and asking for a player to be dropped ahead of a semi final for breaking their agreed alcohol rules.

You can't just shout at everyone or make petty rules forever. People won't buy in forever to a system based on humiliation. Just ask Eddie Jones
Whats your opinion on 09:54 - Jan 23 with 2385 viewsWokingR

Sounds absolute crap to me
First team players are on massive boot contracts and have brand new boots and trainers literally thrown at them. I have heard of several players giving away boots and trainers to anyone they know as they simply cannot keep up with the number landing on their doorstep.
So the idea of a first teamer having to borrow a pair of boots sounds like the whole story has been made up.
Login to get fewer ads

Whats your opinion on 09:55 - Jan 23 with 2382 viewsozexile

Ridiculous behaviour. That behaviour will come back to bite him. It doesn't create loyalty, just resentment.
Whats your opinion on 07:46 - Jan 24 with 2101 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Whats your opinion on 09:54 - Jan 23 by WokingR

Sounds absolute crap to me
First team players are on massive boot contracts and have brand new boots and trainers literally thrown at them. I have heard of several players giving away boots and trainers to anyone they know as they simply cannot keep up with the number landing on their doorstep.
So the idea of a first teamer having to borrow a pair of boots sounds like the whole story has been made up.

True.

The son of a chap I used to sit with, has a best mate who played at the Arsenal. He received so much Puma footwear - and not just his size - he supplied family and friends for a few years. And he was at youth level!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Whats your opinion on 17:52 - Jan 24 with 1908 viewsMick_S

Whats your opinion on 07:46 - Jan 24 by PlanetHonneywood

True.

The son of a chap I used to sit with, has a best mate who played at the Arsenal. He received so much Puma footwear - and not just his size - he supplied family and friends for a few years. And he was at youth level!

Stop with the reason please, I wanted to believe that story.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:09 - Jan 24 with 1834 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - Jan 24 with 1824 viewsMick_S

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:09 - Jan 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

That’s undeniably reasonable.

Whats your opinion on 18:25 - Jan 24 with 1799 viewsE17hoop

As I said before, the culture of the organisation is defined by the worst behaviour which is accepted and unpunished. This seems to be ETH understanding the standards had slipped and wanted to reimpose a higher level of behaviour. The journalist will only have seen the single example of the behaviour - the players will live with it every day. If it was consistent with other ways he wanted to improve accountability and responsibility, it would be interpreted differently. How do we know whether he went and spoke with the player afterwards to explain his reaction?

I take these kind of pieces with a pinch of salt. Much more interesting to see the relationships between people when they're not aware they're being observed,

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:32 - Jan 24 with 1785 viewsNewBee

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - Jan 24 by Mick_S

Reminds me of a story from years back when all the Man Utd players were having a meeting. At the end of it, Norman Whiteside got up and left the room.

"Shut the door behind you!" roared Martin Buchan, club captain and elder statesman of the group.

Back came the reply as Whiteside continued along the corridor: "If you want the effin' door shut, then you effin' shut it yourself!"

Whiteside was 17 or 18 at the time.

Meanwhile, for all that ETH seems to have been an arse in the anecdote from the OP, he's also the same ETH who put Cristiano Ronaldo firmly in his place.

Or as Sir Alex Ferguson always used to say: "What people should never forget is that I'm not here to please the players, they're here to please me."
Whats your opinion on 19:25 - Jan 24 with 1639 viewsPaddyhoops

Bob paisley was a gent . Look at his record . 3 European cups and six league titles with the odd minor trophy thrown in .
Obviously the knighthood never came his way.
Whats your opinion on 19:57 - Jan 24 with 1546 viewsPunteR

Sounds to me like the story has been massively exaggerated.
I would imagine in a building that houses one of the worlds biggest football teams you probably can't just bowl around anywhere without permission or access codes etc. So maybe something did happen.?
Sharing football boots though? It probably wasn't that, sounds like porky pies.
I'm not trying to side with anyone really, I honestly don't care.
I mean , yeh he's a Man U manager which automatically makes him a dickhead of course.!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:02 - Jan 24 with 1529 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - Jan 24 by Mick_S

My least irritating contribution to date!

Was supposed to say that the Heston update video that someone posted earlier had a big emphasis on segregation of youth team and first team.

Somewhere between Paul Hart and Ray Train is a nice medium for me in regards to club discipline.
Whats your opinion on 20:08 - Jan 24 with 1513 viewsSonofpugwash

Erik who?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Whats your opinion on 10:50 - Jan 25 with 1221 viewsTGRRRSSS

Whats your opinion on 07:46 - Jan 24 by PlanetHonneywood

True.

The story isnt from United but his early days at a smaller Dutch Club.

Thanks for highlighting the Schmidt book (now working with the ABs - if only he was Head coach)

I get the standards thing but this specific example from JN in his article made him come across badly to me.

Agree with Clive take on it broadley.

I guess at some point he probably will lose the dressing room
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024