Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Other championship teams transfers 13:59 - May 15 with 81188 viewsloftboy

Ashley Barnes possibly going to Norwich.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Other championship teams transfers on 13:51 - Jun 15 with 7046 viewsaston_hoop

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Other championship teams transfers on 10:08 - Jun 16 with 6608 viewsaston_hoop

Enzo Maresca about to be named Leicester manager rather than Scott Parker. One of Pep's coaches at City.

Other championship teams transfers on 14:30 - Jun 21 with 6249 viewsNorthernr

Nick Powell to Wrexham, my goodness.
Other championship teams transfers on 15:38 - Jun 21 with 6072 viewsSimonJames

Other championship teams transfers on 13:51 - Jun 15 by aston_hoop

Are they insane?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Other championship teams transfers on 16:32 - Jun 21 with 5983 viewsNorthernr

Other championship teams transfers on 15:38 - Jun 21 by SimonJames

Are they insane?

You know he'll fcking score against us though.

Elsewhere...

Other championship teams transfers on 20:47 - Jun 21 with 5747 viewsted_hendrix

Southampton name Swansea City boss as new manager.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Other championship teams transfers on 20:54 - Jun 21 with 5742 viewsaston_hoop

Other championship teams transfers on 20:47 - Jun 21 by ted_hendrix

Southampton name Swansea City boss as new manager.

Michael Duff from Barnsley replacing him

Other championship teams transfers on 17:44 - Jun 22 with 5364 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Watford have signed striker Rhys Healey on a free, could be good business and shows their are opportunities to pick good talent up on frees although his wages probably would have been too much for us.
Login to get fewer ads

Other championship teams transfers on 18:47 - Jun 22 with 5276 viewsSimonJames

Other championship teams transfers on 16:32 - Jun 21 by Northernr

You know he'll fcking score against us though.

Elsewhere...

According to my mate who's a big Argyle fan, they've already given him the nickname "El Janner", which apparently translates into "Hell Plymothian".

They're also hoping to stay within their £4.1M budget by paying him in pesetas!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 18:48]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Other championship teams transfers on 18:01 - Jun 23 with 4911 viewsenfieldargh

Charlie Brown Cheltenham to Morcambe.

Reckon they go him for peanuts

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Other championship teams transfers on 19:52 - Jun 23 with 4744 viewsdmm

Other championship teams transfers on 18:01 - Jun 23 by enfieldargh

Charlie Brown Cheltenham to Morcambe.

Reckon they go him for peanuts

You know it's not going to end well...

Other championship teams transfers on 10:41 - Jun 24 with 4495 viewsNorthernr

Harry Istead signs for Charlton. Kind of hoped we'd have a sniff around that if Dieng is leaving.
Other championship teams transfers on 17:20 - Jun 25 with 4066 viewsNorthernr

Sunderland onto a fourth signing of the summer already - all of them 20 or younger, all of them on long term deals, Jenson Seelt from Eindhoven the latest undisclosed fee and a five year contract. Pretty heartbreaking really, another club we were beating, above, laughing at, taking the pis out of just a few short years ago, "on the river where we used to build wor boats, and dad wor sad" Netflix documentaries and ridiculous contracts for Will grigg, now roaring off into the distance doing exactly what we should be doing and said we would do.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Other championship teams transfers on 09:41 - Jun 26 with 3568 viewsAntti_Heinola

Other championship teams transfers on 17:20 - Jun 25 by Northernr

Sunderland onto a fourth signing of the summer already - all of them 20 or younger, all of them on long term deals, Jenson Seelt from Eindhoven the latest undisclosed fee and a five year contract. Pretty heartbreaking really, another club we were beating, above, laughing at, taking the pis out of just a few short years ago, "on the river where we used to build wor boats, and dad wor sad" Netflix documentaries and ridiculous contracts for Will grigg, now roaring off into the distance doing exactly what we should be doing and said we would do.

Yep.
But it's early days. One adrenaline-fuelled season back.
A year ago, Southamptoin were trying the same ideas, and it backfired very, very badly.

Bare bones.

Other championship teams transfers on 09:56 - Jun 26 with 3505 viewsBAWHoops

Joe Bryan signing for Milwall on a free.
I suppose we have Paal as our first choice LB, but that's someone I would've loved for us to go after

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Other championship teams transfers on 09:58 - Jun 26 with 3487 viewsNorthernr

Other championship teams transfers on 09:56 - Jun 26 by BAWHoops

I suppose we have Paal as our first choice LB, but that's someone I would've loved for us to go after

Wow that's a great signing for them.
Other championship teams transfers on 10:13 - Jun 26 with 3397 viewsTK1

Other championship teams transfers on 17:20 - Jun 25 by Northernr

I mean, yeah, you could find it heartbreaking that we're not giving five year contracts out to 20 year-old Dutch centre-backs. Or you could it find a relief we're not. Do you really think it's a prudent policy? Not sure. Seems pretty risky to me. Possibly as risky as a contract for Will Griggs. Guess we'll know in five years.

Personally, I find it really encouraging that a club who were a laughing stock and totally on its uppers five seasons ago, who were one of the worst Championship teams I can recall seeing the year they went down, just totally hopeless, can rebuild, come back up within four years and now be one if its most dynamic clubs. Football is cyclical. We're on a cycle. There's no correct formula (but there are myriad ways to get it wrong - five year contracts for 20 year-old may be either).
Other championship teams transfers on 10:50 - Jun 26 with 3264 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Other championship teams transfers on 10:13 - Jun 26 by TK1

I mean, yeah, you could find it heartbreaking that we're not giving five year contracts out to 20 year-old Dutch centre-backs. Or you could it find a relief we're not. Do you really think it's a prudent policy? Not sure. Seems pretty risky to me. Possibly as risky as a contract for Will Griggs. Guess we'll know in five years.

Personally, I find it really encouraging that a club who were a laughing stock and totally on its uppers five seasons ago, who were one of the worst Championship teams I can recall seeing the year they went down, just totally hopeless, can rebuild, come back up within four years and now be one if its most dynamic clubs. Football is cyclical. We're on a cycle. There's no correct formula (but there are myriad ways to get it wrong - five year contracts for 20 year-old may be either).

What's the alternative? Only give them 2 / 3 year contracts and immediately get yourself into a race against time to develop them, expose them and sell them on? Or sign more established players to shorter contracts on higher salaries with less chance to make a profit on them?

Every single transfer any club completes carries an element of risk because the player may not settle, may not fancy it and may just be crap. There is no fool-proof recruitment strategy. Signing the types of players Sunderland have this summer brings an enormously high reward if it goes well. Even if a couple of those signings pan out well individually amidst disappointing league finishes, they'll be able to cash in and try to get it even more right the second, third, forth times around.

By comparison our recruitment feels a little aimless, hurried and at odds with the strategy we spent a lot of time talking up. I just think we get too impatient to work like Sunderland have. We say we want to do it that way but then in parallel tell our head coach his job is at risk if he doesn't make the top 6, which in turn leads to us pouring money into loan deals for Jeff Hendrick and Dion Sanderson.

Of course they may fail if the players they're signing turn out to be crap or they can't develop them but I'd rather the ship sink with a logical, brave plan that is actually adhered to than slowly drown by losing patience with the original plan and throwing good money with little chance of a recoup at a problem that results in a perpetual treading of water. As a club - presumably at board and director level - we have seemingly found that latter option just too seductive over and over again since this ownership has been in place.
Other championship teams transfers on 10:53 - Jun 26 with 3252 viewsdaveB

Other championship teams transfers on 10:50 - Jun 26 by Padulas_Shampoo

What's the alternative? Only give them 2 / 3 year contracts and immediately get yourself into a race against time to develop them, expose them and sell them on? Or sign more established players to shorter contracts on higher salaries with less chance to make a profit on them?

Every single transfer any club completes carries an element of risk because the player may not settle, may not fancy it and may just be crap. There is no fool-proof recruitment strategy. Signing the types of players Sunderland have this summer brings an enormously high reward if it goes well. Even if a couple of those signings pan out well individually amidst disappointing league finishes, they'll be able to cash in and try to get it even more right the second, third, forth times around.

By comparison our recruitment feels a little aimless, hurried and at odds with the strategy we spent a lot of time talking up. I just think we get too impatient to work like Sunderland have. We say we want to do it that way but then in parallel tell our head coach his job is at risk if he doesn't make the top 6, which in turn leads to us pouring money into loan deals for Jeff Hendrick and Dion Sanderson.

Of course they may fail if the players they're signing turn out to be crap or they can't develop them but I'd rather the ship sink with a logical, brave plan that is actually adhered to than slowly drown by losing patience with the original plan and throwing good money with little chance of a recoup at a problem that results in a perpetual treading of water. As a club - presumably at board and director level - we have seemingly found that latter option just too seductive over and over again since this ownership has been in place.

to be fair Warbs at the time said anything other than playoffs would be failure so he put the pressure on himself

I think we should just wait and see how we look at the end of the window before criticising anyone too much. It's all very early and the squad is likely to look a lot different come the end of August, that might be a good thing as we've been crap for 18 months
Other championship teams transfers on 10:56 - Jun 26 with 3228 viewsTheChef

Other championship teams transfers on 10:53 - Jun 26 by daveB

to be fair Warbs at the time said anything other than playoffs would be failure so he put the pressure on himself

I think we should just wait and see how we look at the end of the window before criticising anyone too much. It's all very early and the squad is likely to look a lot different come the end of August, that might be a good thing as we've been crap for 18 months

Yeah I love that sentiment Dave, but unfortunately it's a football message board where some people love to moan and criticise before anything has even happened.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Other championship teams transfers on 10:57 - Jun 26 with 3220 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Other championship teams transfers on 10:53 - Jun 26 by daveB

I agree and personally am quite excited to see a new look team next season. I'm hoping Ainsworth can pull together a squad that'll run through brick walls and out-work every team we play against. It's our only chance really and I'm on board.

I'm just pointing out that it's the previous actions that have landed us with this budget.And those previous actions were basically to look for a quick fix rather than stick to the plan - if it ever actually was a plan and anything more than lip service.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 11:02]
Other championship teams transfers on 11:01 - Jun 26 with 3202 viewsLoyalitat

Other championship teams transfers on 09:56 - Jun 26 by BAWHoops

Another very good signing made by Millwall alongside the recent Nisbet capture. If Nisbet can stay clear of injury and given time to settle, he will be a good addition to their squad. He can finish.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 11:26]
Other championship teams transfers on 17:07 - Jun 27 with 2533 viewsaston_hoop

Cheo Ogbene has stepped up to the Prem from Rotherham, has joined Luton! One I'd have loved at QPR but I think most Championship teams would have taken him

Other championship teams transfers on 18:11 - Jun 27 with 2396 viewsswitchingcode

Other championship teams transfers on 17:07 - Jun 27 by aston_hoop

Cheo Ogbene has stepped up to the Prem from Rotherham, has joined Luton! One I'd have loved at QPR but I think most Championship teams would have taken him

One that goes on the shouldn’t have let go list for Brentford.Pleased for him had a couple of bad injuries along the way and will do well for Luton
Other championship teams transfers on 18:18 - Jun 27 with 2339 viewsnumptydumpty

Other championship teams transfers on 13:51 - Jun 15 by aston_hoop

Disappointed

Hoped we could have got the lad !!!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024