Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rafferty Pedder 22:55 - Jun 7 with 5729 viewsYorkshirehoop

Am I the only one mythed as to why Warburton signed him ? I keep hearing that he's a potential talent and looks impressive in patches but he is 21 surely if he's half decent he should have had the odd 5 or 10 minutes at the back end of matches to see what he can do.or maybe it's a case of Tottenham develop good young players and theres one available for free.we'll have him and hope for the best.totally baffled.we got slaughtered and embarrased countless times last season with a lot of so called senior/seasoned professionals.I just hope that Gareth hands out chances for some of our young players.even if it's minutes here and there.
If it appears they are out of the their depth then put them back in the under 21s.Im fed up of hearing we need to protect the player.throw some of them in and it's sink or swim.age is no barrier.if your good enough your old enough.not gonna waffle on but in the case of Pedder.if your not knocking on the door of the first team at 21 then what's occurring ?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2023 22:56]
Rafferty Pedder on 23:11 - Jun 7 with 4604 viewsDejR_vu

Gareth didn’t give any of the ‘youth’ any minutes in a dead rubber last game of the season.

We’ve just had the worst season in two decades with an ‘injury’ list a mile long and no one got a sniff. I think it would be fair to say the academy and B set-up is a bit of a joke, if it wasn’t already blindingly obvious. More pants being pulled down there.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Rafferty Pedder on 23:42 - Jun 7 with 4517 viewsYorkshirehoop

Rafferty Pedder on 23:11 - Jun 7 by DejR_vu

Gareth didn’t give any of the ‘youth’ any minutes in a dead rubber last game of the season.

We’ve just had the worst season in two decades with an ‘injury’ list a mile long and no one got a sniff. I think it would be fair to say the academy and B set-up is a bit of a joke, if it wasn’t already blindingly obvious. More pants being pulled down there.

Not sure why they scrapped the reserves.maybe a cost cutting exercise.I used to love going to harrow borough on a Tuesday or Wednesday night to watch the reserves.The youth players and fringe players would get a real workout as the opposition were always ultra competitive.youd have players that had minutes playing top level that were lacking match sharpness.That was a test for the players as to wether on not they may or may not make it.plus the fans got a chance to see what we had moving forward.under 21s and behind closed doors playing against players of a similar ilk ain't gonna prove anything.
Rafferty Pedder on 06:13 - Jun 8 with 4325 viewsbongo_king

Strange one. I don't follow the B team closely, but from what I pick up - mainly on here - Pedder, Aoraha and Dougi seem the most promising. And yet no minutes, no loans unless I'm mistaken. Indeed last season's loan outs were all basically players who I'd call "post academy", 22-24 with few first team prospects. This is a pretty damning judgement of our academy - our managers won't pick them even in an injury and form crisis, no other clubs want to loan them.

On the other side, I don't think Wycombe had an academy or even a proper b-team when GA was there, so I doubt he's even used to the idea of the academy to pro transition. That is not so much a criticism of him, more of a board / DOF who thought its a good idea to bring a coach who simply hasn't worked with this model when the whole club has, rightly or wrongly, been geared towards the academy in recent years.

Personally, while I could be wrong, I think the "bringing young cast-offs" in model is not awful. We need to be doing some kind of development to survive. But something in the model is not working. My amateur view - most of our recent pickups have been aged 19 or 20, not younger. There is little point picking up someone like Pedder around 20 and having him sit in the U23s for 15 months. Either cast-offs need to be picked up younger so they can have that time in the U23s (like Eze) or if they are picked up later, be closer to ready and quickly sent out on loan to sink or swim (like Chair).
Rafferty Pedder on 06:29 - Jun 8 with 4296 viewsHAYESBOY

Drewe got some minutes, but that was forced.

Again question is.....are they good enough.
Watching the B-side and U18's I would say Koli, Petrie, Aoraha and Tuck look good prospects.
For me I have seen Pedder several times and while he has played well in a few games I just don't see him getting to Champ level football.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Rafferty Pedder on 07:27 - Jun 8 with 4199 viewsLblock

It’s almost as if we are a chaotic club with clueless tvvats making signings at random, some of which are “suspicious” at best, and no clear plan or identity.

Hang on a minute……

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Rafferty Pedder on 08:00 - Jun 8 with 4124 viewsSimonD

"Am I the only one mythed as to why Warburton signed him"

He was signed for development in the U-23s. Would Warburton have had anything to do with his signing?
Rafferty Pedder on 08:53 - Jun 8 with 3991 viewsdaveB

In the very few B team games i've watched online, he's looked quite good, thought he should have got a run out towards the end of the season, hopefully he gets a chance next year
Rafferty Pedder on 08:56 - Jun 8 with 3981 viewstoboboly

Having seen him a few times last July in pre-season games I was surprised at the clamour tbh. Looks quite lightweight for 21, decent touch and pass but asking him to go up against any league player would be a huge ask.

He has 1 pro appearance in the pizza trophy apparently - that isn't the sort of person you can throw into a successful League 2 team let alone a struggling Championship team.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rafferty-pedder/profil/spieler/633669

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

Rafferty Pedder on 08:57 - Jun 8 with 3976 viewsLogman

Don't forget Armstrong. He's 19 and has been used in the 1st team so he must not be discounted.

I agree with a previous poster. From what I have seen of Pedder he's another of those tidy midfielders in the Scott Donnelly/Stephen Lynch/Faisal Bettache mould who gets touted for big things but I don't think he will have the physicality and athleticism to put a stamp on a Championship game.
Rafferty Pedder on 10:19 - Jun 8 with 3771 viewsslmrstid

There's not a cat in hell's chance Warburton was responsible for the signing of Pedder.

As others have said we had a terrible season, and other than the forced use of Drewe, none of our "youngsters" got a sniff which I suspect tells you all you need to know. How they're getting away with it down there though is something else.
Rafferty Pedder on 10:29 - Jun 8 with 3752 viewsHanwellHoopster

I've watched the B team a few times at Hanwell as it's nearby (shocking, I know, given the monkier).

I've always thought Pedder looks pretty good, but comments on physicality might be fair. Think he needs to be tested with a loan this season, ideally six months in L2 initially.
Rafferty Pedder on 10:32 - Jun 8 with 3742 viewsdavman

Our "Academy", like the rest of the club, is not sufficient to support a Championship club. It costs loads (maybe not towards FFP, but still expensive) for what benefit?

These are not 16, 17 year olds; they should be capable of playing minutes for the first team. Aaron Drewe is NOT a spring chicken. He had one excellent game for the first team (Watford), but many sub-standard ones. Sinclair Armstrong is raw, really, really raw and does not seem fit enough for a run of games. Gubbins has been here ages and is nowhere near the first team failing to get minutes when Dickie disintegrated into a chocolate fireguard.

Warbs called the club out on the quality of the Academy and the owners decided to stick with the lot running the Academy. Sadly.

I suspect we will see them during pre-season, will be underwhelmed, then relieved when the Free Transfers and loans come in to take them out of the firing line.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Rafferty Pedder on 11:57 - Jun 8 with 3591 viewsE15Hoop

Rafferty Pedder on 10:32 - Jun 8 by davman

Our "Academy", like the rest of the club, is not sufficient to support a Championship club. It costs loads (maybe not towards FFP, but still expensive) for what benefit?

These are not 16, 17 year olds; they should be capable of playing minutes for the first team. Aaron Drewe is NOT a spring chicken. He had one excellent game for the first team (Watford), but many sub-standard ones. Sinclair Armstrong is raw, really, really raw and does not seem fit enough for a run of games. Gubbins has been here ages and is nowhere near the first team failing to get minutes when Dickie disintegrated into a chocolate fireguard.

Warbs called the club out on the quality of the Academy and the owners decided to stick with the lot running the Academy. Sadly.

I suspect we will see them during pre-season, will be underwhelmed, then relieved when the Free Transfers and loans come in to take them out of the firing line.

As others have said already on here, my view of the B Team lads is that they're all fairly decent technically (as you would hope) but they all seem to look about 13 years old. None of them look like they would stay upright in a strong breeze, let alone deal with someone with the physique of Adama Traore, for example.
Rafferty Pedder on 12:21 - Jun 8 with 3528 viewspaulhoop2

Rafferty Pedder on 23:42 - Jun 7 by Yorkshirehoop

Not sure why they scrapped the reserves.maybe a cost cutting exercise.I used to love going to harrow borough on a Tuesday or Wednesday night to watch the reserves.The youth players and fringe players would get a real workout as the opposition were always ultra competitive.youd have players that had minutes playing top level that were lacking match sharpness.That was a test for the players as to wether on not they may or may not make it.plus the fans got a chance to see what we had moving forward.under 21s and behind closed doors playing against players of a similar ilk ain't gonna prove anything.

Was a stupid FA decision but Clive can confirm properly.

This is why I got Clive to ask Paul Hall last year about entering the London or Middlesex cup like Brentford and Barnet do. Wycombe and reading and Watford all enter the equivalent comps in their areas. We got a wishwashy reply but Clive should probe further if he can

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Rafferty Pedder on 12:33 - Jun 8 with 3484 viewsfrancisbowles

Rafferty Pedder on 11:57 - Jun 8 by E15Hoop

As others have said already on here, my view of the B Team lads is that they're all fairly decent technically (as you would hope) but they all seem to look about 13 years old. None of them look like they would stay upright in a strong breeze, let alone deal with someone with the physique of Adama Traore, for example.

Not surprising as our first team couldn't cope with him a few years back.
Rafferty Pedder on 20:42 - Jun 8 with 3158 viewsOakR

I've never seen Pedder play, but not sure on the comments on his physicality, or lack of. On that basis I'm not really sure Chair should have made it.

I do agree it's odd he has not gone out on loan, which would at least give an idea.

Re the Academy, I think that stat is something like 0.01 or 0.001 % of kids who have been in an Academy go on to play in the top league (or is it professionally?). Either way, it's low odds to get someone through to the first team at our level.

I guess it's been looked at over 10 years on a cost / reward basis, and even if it is loss making (I've no idea on the figures) maybe they see it as a good 'risk' in case we get another Sterling etc, though I think we really need Cat1 status to get more money when sellling players.

I think it's a shame we didn't try any out in the last game, why not? It's a great incentive for the ones in the Academy and nothing to lose at all, and a good experience if we did need to call any up.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Rafferty Pedder on 22:21 - Jun 8 with 3004 viewsderbyhoop

Dixon-Bonner was on the bench a few times and got 10 minutes in 1 game late on (cant remember which nor be bothered to research).
Loans included Kelman, Duke-McKenna, Masterson, salamon, Alfa, Da Silva, Woodman and Lloyd. It would have been better if there had been others. It would have given young players some serious adult football. Maybe there were no takers.

We released 12 from the youth set up + 6 senior players. Those included Masterson, Alfa and Da Silva. Do loans also confirm that players arent good enough?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rafferty Pedder on 22:26 - Jun 8 with 2974 viewsGloucs_R

I know things are bad at the moment but let's give some of these lads a chance before we write them off.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Rafferty Pedder on 08:52 - Jun 9 with 2694 viewstoboboly

Rafferty Pedder on 22:26 - Jun 8 by Gloucs_R

I know things are bad at the moment but let's give some of these lads a chance before we write them off.

That's the attitude that gets travelman a 10 year QPR career with just over 30 appearances.

But in all seriousness these aren't kids. In Pedders case he is 21 and has one "pro" appearance in his entire career and that wasn't for us. He couldn't get a minute for us last season and neither could the majority of the others.

If you're good enough (Furlong, Eze, Bright, Manning, Smyth, Masterson, Chair) then you get loan games at the very least. The club probably needs to be a bit more ruthless and not give out further contract once players are getting to 20 and either can't get in the match day squad for us or go out on loan elsewhere.

Rafferty Pedder on 08:59 - Jun 9 with 2681 viewsdaveB

Rafferty Pedder on 08:52 - Jun 9 by toboboly

That's the attitude that gets travelman a 10 year QPR career with just over 30 appearances.

But in all seriousness these aren't kids. In Pedders case he is 21 and has one "pro" appearance in his entire career and that wasn't for us. He couldn't get a minute for us last season and neither could the majority of the others.

If you're good enough (Furlong, Eze, Bright, Manning, Smyth, Masterson, Chair) then you get loan games at the very least. The club probably needs to be a bit more ruthless and not give out further contract once players are getting to 20 and either can't get in the match day squad for us or go out on loan elsewhere.

when you get ruthless and cut these players you get threads years later saying why did we let Lowe/Antonio etc go he went onto be a good player

I do think we need to get a lot better at giving these kids a chance in the first team, we are more than open to try kids from other clubs. Have said before if Tim was a QPR youth team player no way would he have played 25/30 games last season.
Rafferty Pedder on 09:10 - Jun 9 with 2654 viewsGloucs_R

Rafferty Pedder on 08:52 - Jun 9 by toboboly

I'm starting to believe that playing for a premier League academy has a massive negative effect on your career if you're not an elite player who's going to get into the first team.

That aside I would still like to see him given a chance, maybe in preseason.

I am also putting a big bet on Niko being in our preseason squad. 🤬

Rafferty Pedder on 09:12 - Jun 9 with 2648 viewstoboboly

Rafferty Pedder on 08:59 - Jun 9 by daveB

when you get ruthless and cut these players you get threads years later saying why did we let Lowe/Antonio etc go he went onto be a good player

I do think we need to get a lot better at giving these kids a chance in the first team, we are more than open to try kids from other clubs. Have said before if Tim was a QPR youth team player no way would he have played 25/30 games last season.

Cutting Lowe at 13 years old or not picking up Stuart Pearce/Albert Adomah at all is a very different kettle of fish to having a 'youth' team of 21 year olds without any pro appearances to their name.

Rafferty Pedder on 09:23 - Jun 9 with 2627 viewsAndybrat

Rafferty Pedder on 09:10 - Jun 9 by Gloucs_R

I'm starting to believe that playing for a premier League academy has a massive negative effect on your career if you're not an elite player who's going to get into the first team.

That aside I would still like to see him given a chance, maybe in preseason.

I am also putting a big bet on Niko being in our preseason squad. 🤬

Agree but us being a London club and not one of the big boys with so much competition the pond we end up fishing in is the one the Prem boys have already taken the best potential catches from. Real tough one to resolve as we need to find the nuggets or we end up with cast offs on freebies that have injury issues. It’s a fact of money that we can’t compete with the Kings Road mafia and their puppy farm. Peddler looks OK from the highlights I saw, needs a loan or pre season with the 1st team. GA will have sussed Niko,
Rafferty Pedder on 09:58 - Jun 9 with 2557 viewsGloucs_R

Rafferty Pedder on 09:23 - Jun 9 by Andybrat

Agree but us being a London club and not one of the big boys with so much competition the pond we end up fishing in is the one the Prem boys have already taken the best potential catches from. Real tough one to resolve as we need to find the nuggets or we end up with cast offs on freebies that have injury issues. It’s a fact of money that we can’t compete with the Kings Road mafia and their puppy farm. Peddler looks OK from the highlights I saw, needs a loan or pre season with the 1st team. GA will have sussed Niko,

That's the thing, a lot of these young lads when they play for the likes of Tottenham academy need loans. Play would be much better off at Rangers where they could develop their careers, providing they meet the standard.

Never going to happen no is it!!

Rafferty Pedder on 10:03 - Jun 9 with 2531 viewsdistortR

Rafferty Pedder on 09:12 - Jun 9 by toboboly

Cutting Lowe at 13 years old or not picking up Stuart Pearce/Albert Adomah at all is a very different kettle of fish to having a 'youth' team of 21 year olds without any pro appearances to their name.

I don't think we're doing the likes of Drewe or Gubbins any favours by retaining them. They'd be better of released and making a go of it at a lower level, although I suppose if we keep them we may well get to their level anyway. I imagine watching our centrebacks struggle last season, and not getting near the pitch, must be quite a knock to the confidence of Gubbins.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024