Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89257 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 16:34 - Jun 9 with 2431 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jun 9 by Antti_Heinola

It is madness. Get him in. He's the man for the big occasiona and always has been - while I agree rotation will be needed, there is a small gap between the first two tests, so it won't be relevant for a while. I doubt Stokes is even looking beyond the first test to be honest. Win that, then think about rotation: your suggestion is exactly the trap we fell into in Australia. Baz and Ben will not repeat it.
In my view, they won't even have needed a discussion: it'll be Anderson, Robinson and Broad. Wood will, I agree, play a big part though.
Talk about what happened to players 4 years ago is absolutely irrelevant in the light of the last year or so. Every single player in that tea, has been transformed in that time - and against genuinely good opposition. Cannot wait for this Series.

3 right arm bowlers with the same pace isn't the recipe to beat the Aussies imo

Pitches will likely be flatter so our batters can hit through the line so we will need Woods pace to shake them up especially when Smith and Labuschange get together
Ashes 2023 on 16:52 - Jun 9 with 2406 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 16:34 - Jun 9 by Rangersw12

3 right arm bowlers with the same pace isn't the recipe to beat the Aussies imo

Pitches will likely be flatter so our batters can hit through the line so we will need Woods pace to shake them up especially when Smith and Labuschange get together

It’s a fair point, maybe adding Sam Curran would mix it up a bit ?
Ashes 2023 on 18:21 - Jun 9 with 2357 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 14:24 - Jun 9 by Hunterhoop

Well, I disagree. Each to their own. I don’t think your view is mad though. And mine certainly isn’t whatever you say.

Oh Hunter, I very nearly added an addendum to say I was exaggerating for a bit of fun. It's not mad of course.

Just wrong. ;)

(I am joking - I love Wood - always happy to see him in the side)

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 08:55 - Jun 10 with 2277 viewsLimehouseR

I noticed Australia dropped quite a few fairly straight forward chances yesterday as well. You can bet that won't happen too often when it comes to the Ashes.

As much as I have really enjoyed the recent run of results with our test team I think we will just come unstuck playing against this lot. It looks like great cricket when it goes well but their pace attack is pretty relentless. Trying to smash them into the stands feels a little suicidal if you ask me. I hope I am wrong but our bowling just lacks that edge now. Bringing in Mooen doesn't fill me with confidence either. Unless the pitches become a bit more lively it could be a hard ask to get 20 wickets.

BUT we do have Stokes. And we do have positivity and spirit, I just hope that isn't beaten out of us in the first test...
Ashes 2023 on 16:56 - Jun 14 with 2058 viewsRangersw12

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65906467

Now they've picked Broad I assume the pitch will be a green seamer as otherwise I fear we won't have enough pace if it's flat
Ashes 2023 on 18:04 - Jun 14 with 2016 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes 2023 on 16:56 - Jun 14 by Rangersw12

Now they've picked Broad I assume the pitch will be a green seamer as otherwise I fear we won't have enough pace if it's flat

Lucky enough to have a couple of days at both Lords and Oval but i have growing feeling of doom about this series. Australia's attack looks flipping strong, and with Stokesey only limited to a few overs a day bowling (if even that) and Moeen being so inferior to weasel-face Lyon, it feels a big big challenge.

But in Ben and Baz we trust.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 20:35 - Jun 14 with 1949 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 16:56 - Jun 14 by Rangersw12

As I said.
I doubt it was anything other than a very short conversation.

Ben and Baz know what they’re doing. The Aussies are a good side, maybe even very good, but they’re not too different from 4 years ago, and couldn’t beat what was a fairly docile England side. We’ll win, even if we lose the first Test.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2023 20:35]

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 22:22 - Jun 14 with 1895 viewsloftus77

I'm leaning heavily towards Australia now, sadly. Where are their injuries (a question I asked a lot in the 1990s and early 2000s)?

I think the crucial blow for us is Jofra Archer - if the pitches are going to be hard, sun-beaten and dry then the loss of his explosive spells at Warner, Smith, Labuschagne et al will be keenly felt. Add to that the absense of Leach and no full spells from Ben Stokes (?) and its all a real shame - I would have backed us if all these 'three cogs' were in good order.

My only positive remains the undoubted World Class of Joe Root. If he,concentrating fully on his batting, can turn in a 'Cook2010-11' like performance than there is hope.

But, as of now, I'm going 2-0 or 3-0 Aus.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2023 22:24]
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 22:25 - Jun 14 with 1893 viewsHooparoo

Look out Poms, we’ve become a very good side again. Watch out for Scott Boland, very quick and bowls excellent line and length very much like Glenn McGrath. I think it will be as fiercely contested and close as it always is in England.

Lots of late nights coming up for us Aussies. Can’t wait 😊

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:31 - Jun 14 with 1884 viewsThe_Beast1976

3 days at Edgbaston, 2 at Lord's, 2 at The Oval, 1 at Old Trafford. Can't wait. I'm going 3-2 England.

Will also be heading out to India again this Winter
Ashes 2023 on 22:51 - Jun 14 with 1863 viewsted_hendrix

God, If you happen to be reading this please let us win and I'll join your flock for the rest of my miserable life.
I can recall a time In the mid 80's secretly listening to a cheap transistor radio when I should have been working and every few minutes all I could hear was the commentator saying "and now It's Dennis Lillee to bowl" or he'd say "now It's Jeff Thomson coming on to bowl"
Pair of bastards.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 00:54 - Jun 15 with 1827 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 12:23 - Jun 9 by Hunterhoop

It’s not madness suggesting Broad doesn’t play the first test. Robinson and him are LfL and Tobinson has a better record than Broad since he began test cricket a few years back.

Broad’s record against Australia in the last Ashess (Warner apart, who is now clearly in the wane) wasn’t great either.

And both he and Anderson are unlikely to be able to play all 5 Test, so England will need to rotate. They’re playing 5 Tests in a small window and I expect Corporate wickets which will mean a lot of overs for the bowlers. And they aren’t young.

At Edgbaston, I’d play Anderson, Robinson and Wood. At Lord’s you could make a case for Woakes given his insane record there. I think I’d want Broad to play at Old Trafford and Headingly. OT was where he ripped through that Aussie team in 2015(?), wasn’t it?

All that said, i think it’ll be Anderson, Broad and Robinson and we’ll go without any genuine pace.

The last ashes was played with England on tour under strict covid lockdown conditions while the Aussies were at home (played no away tests at all during the lockdown period). While we may well have lost anyway, we usually do here, it certainly was not a "normal" series.

Personally I'm finding it hard to care too much these days. I was taken aback when I first lived here by how much the Aussies care about cricket and especially the Ashes. The media especially turn into 10 year old children with a massive inferiority complex each time it comes around.

Back then we hadn't won it since the 80s, so 2005 was hugely enjoyable given the manner of the win and the fact it was against a great Australian team. Also when we belted them down here in 2010/11 (3 innings defeats at home and we declared at 517/1 in a drawn game). Went to the last day in Sydney with thousands of England fans and seemingly the only Australians in the ground being the ones that were on the field playing.

Probably the most enjoyable day at a test here though was in 2003. We were 4-0 down by the time of the Sydney test but the England support was incredible in both numbers and noise all day. Also managed to win that test. I remember walking into the ground and just being blown away by the sheer number of England fans and flags. This for a team that had lost every game and been ridiculed in the media all tour. Away support like that is something the Aussies will never have.

This series will be tough because we are relying on ageing and injury prone bowlers. Losing Leach was a blow and hoped Archer may recover as the Aussies genuinely fear him. Wood is never far from an injury and who honestly expects Anderson to get through 5 tests at his age? If England though as promised go in with a no fear approach that will unsettle them as they love to think they can intimidate opposition teams.

Ultimately though we've won it enough times since I've lived here, plus the world cup, that I'm not too worried about it any more. Would still love to see us do it though.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 1:51]
Ashes 2023 on 07:20 - Jun 15 with 1774 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 00:54 - Jun 15 by SydneyRs

The last ashes was played with England on tour under strict covid lockdown conditions while the Aussies were at home (played no away tests at all during the lockdown period). While we may well have lost anyway, we usually do here, it certainly was not a "normal" series.

Personally I'm finding it hard to care too much these days. I was taken aback when I first lived here by how much the Aussies care about cricket and especially the Ashes. The media especially turn into 10 year old children with a massive inferiority complex each time it comes around.

Back then we hadn't won it since the 80s, so 2005 was hugely enjoyable given the manner of the win and the fact it was against a great Australian team. Also when we belted them down here in 2010/11 (3 innings defeats at home and we declared at 517/1 in a drawn game). Went to the last day in Sydney with thousands of England fans and seemingly the only Australians in the ground being the ones that were on the field playing.

Probably the most enjoyable day at a test here though was in 2003. We were 4-0 down by the time of the Sydney test but the England support was incredible in both numbers and noise all day. Also managed to win that test. I remember walking into the ground and just being blown away by the sheer number of England fans and flags. This for a team that had lost every game and been ridiculed in the media all tour. Away support like that is something the Aussies will never have.

This series will be tough because we are relying on ageing and injury prone bowlers. Losing Leach was a blow and hoped Archer may recover as the Aussies genuinely fear him. Wood is never far from an injury and who honestly expects Anderson to get through 5 tests at his age? If England though as promised go in with a no fear approach that will unsettle them as they love to think they can intimidate opposition teams.

Ultimately though we've won it enough times since I've lived here, plus the world cup, that I'm not too worried about it any more. Would still love to see us do it though.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 1:51]

I was surprised at the videos that they showed during the games during the 2017-18 games I went to that constantly had aussies saying “Beat England.”
And of course the cheating involved to win the Perth test.How could they be allowed to artificially dry out a wet pitch with leaf blowers?And the umpires allowed it to happen.
Don’t get me started on those kfc bucket hats.
Ashes 2023 on 07:54 - Jun 15 with 1748 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 22:25 - Jun 14 by Hooparoo

Look out Poms, we’ve become a very good side again. Watch out for Scott Boland, very quick and bowls excellent line and length very much like Glenn McGrath. I think it will be as fiercely contested and close as it always is in England.

Lots of late nights coming up for us Aussies. Can’t wait 😊

Scott Boland's an excellent bowler and I fear he will mangle us given the chance. But he isn't "very quick", surely?
Ashes 2023 on 08:32 - Jun 15 with 1728 viewsmonners1969

Ashes 2023 on 19:04 - Jun 8 by GaryBannister86

4-0 Australia sadly.

Trying to slog / charge / scoop Cummins, Hazelwood....not going to work.

Mo Ali....didn't work before against them, not going to work now.

Very much hope I'm wrong.

Yeah Ali is an odd one - Got Chris Martin Vibes all over it...
Ashes 2023 on 10:16 - Jun 15 with 1698 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 08:32 - Jun 15 by monners1969

Yeah Ali is an odd one - Got Chris Martin Vibes all over it...

Hardly.
Won the World Cup last year and the IPL a few weeks ago. Completely different game, I acknowledge that - but I suspect Chris Martin ain't winning too many global 5-a-side tournaments!

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 11:32 - Jun 15 with 1640 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 10:16 - Jun 15 by Antti_Heinola

Hardly.
Won the World Cup last year and the IPL a few weeks ago. Completely different game, I acknowledge that - but I suspect Chris Martin ain't winning too many global 5-a-side tournaments!

We only started to play better in that World Cup once Ali carried the drinks tray.He rarely bats for any length of time now.Maybe his concentration has been damaged by too much white ball cricket?
But with Leach injured,his bowling will have to be top notch to justify his place in the team in my opinion.
Ashes 2023 on 11:55 - Jun 15 with 1602 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 11:32 - Jun 15 by stowmarketrange

We only started to play better in that World Cup once Ali carried the drinks tray.He rarely bats for any length of time now.Maybe his concentration has been damaged by too much white ball cricket?
But with Leach injured,his bowling will have to be top notch to justify his place in the team in my opinion.

You're thinking of the 2019 50 over world cup
Moeen was excellent in T20 WC last year.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 12:05 - Jun 15 with 1582 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 11:55 - Jun 15 by Antti_Heinola

He awful the last time he played test cricket and also didn't want to play test cricket last winter in Pakistan which should be a red flag .

On the plus side he should at least strengthen the tail coming in at no 8 and will be coming into a very relaxed winning environment which should help him

A Quick fire 30/40 from him could change many a test this summer
Ashes 2023 on 12:07 - Jun 15 with 1582 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 12:05 - Jun 15 by Rangersw12

He awful the last time he played test cricket and also didn't want to play test cricket last winter in Pakistan which should be a red flag .

On the plus side he should at least strengthen the tail coming in at no 8 and will be coming into a very relaxed winning environment which should help him

A Quick fire 30/40 from him could change many a test this summer

A lot of players were awful before Baz and Ben came along! Most people wrote off Leachy, but he's flourished under Stokes.
He'll go for a few, but he'll take wickets, especially in 4th innings, and as you say, he will likely score some quick and crucial runs. Brilliant cricketer with a brilliant cricket mind.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 12:08 - Jun 15 with 1582 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 11:55 - Jun 15 by Antti_Heinola

His batting is perfect for a T20 game.Less so when a longer innings is called for.
Ashes 2023 on 12:10 - Jun 15 with 1568 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 12:08 - Jun 15 by stowmarketrange

His batting is perfect for a T20 game.Less so when a longer innings is called for.

Agree, but suspect his role will mainly be for T20 style innings. He probably doesn't have Leach's stickability, but under this regime, that's less important than someone who can contribute 20-30 quick runs.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 12:56 - Jun 15 with 1528 viewsRangersw12

Got to love Harry Brook
Ashes 2023 on 16:25 - Jun 15 with 1427 viewsHoopstar

Yeah REALLY looking forward to seeing how Brook gets on. If he clatters Cummins and co. every which way I'll be grinning all summer.

No real surprise with the team for tomorrow. Come on England!
Ashes 2023 on 09:10 - Jun 16 with 1321 viewsHooparoo

We’re comin’ to get ya! 🏏

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024