Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Help choosing a football weekend abroad 13:08 - Jul 31 with 4282 views1MoreBrightonR

Looking at going away for 2 nights with mates for an annual football weekend. Weekend of Sept 30th....options so far are Utrecht, Club Bruges, possibly Hamburg (was amazing, but have done a game there already), or Santander v Bilbao, but flights may not be doable for that.

Any thoughts? Open to other suggestions in Belgium and Holland especially, as I know nothing about those places/grounds.

Germany is amazing for football but the fixtures/flights arent lining up well for us unfortunately, and Munich 1860 clashes with Oktoberfestso flights are £300.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 13:37 - Jul 31 with 4226 viewsCateLeBonR

Utrecht is meant to be a nice city but all the places suggested sound good to me.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 14:36 - Jul 31 with 4138 viewsderbyhoop

What about Lille? Good side in Ligue 1.
You can get there on the Eurostar.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 14:50 - Jul 31 with 4114 viewssparkey

Went to Milan in April, brilliant stadium. Despite people saying how Milan is too touristy, fake etc,.. I enjoyed my time in the city too. Chose an Inter game not AC as worked to my schedule.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 15:14 - Jul 31 with 4057 views1MoreBrightonR

Lille are away that weekend, its a good shout otherwise.

Italy tempts me but I don't trust them not to move a Milan game to sunday and we'd need to fly back then.

Utrecht is looking good, especially as we can get the eurostar to Amsterdam and there are other games nearby if need be.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 16:11 - Jul 31 with 3974 viewsKonk

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 15:14 - Jul 31 by 1MoreBrightonR

Lille are away that weekend, its a good shout otherwise.

Italy tempts me but I don't trust them not to move a Milan game to sunday and we'd need to fly back then.

Utrecht is looking good, especially as we can get the eurostar to Amsterdam and there are other games nearby if need be.

Utrecht is a great city. Have mates in Amsterdam and Utrecht, and although Amsterdam is ace, I much prefer spending time in Utrecht. It’s like a mini-Amsterdam but without all the tourists/idiots.

Short direct train from Schiphol or Amsterdam Centraal, loads of good bars and some decent restaurants.

Fixture won’t be shifted at short notice either.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:14 - Jul 31 with 3887 viewswesty

Was going to suggest Valencia, amazing City, lovely stadium however they are playing away that weekend at Real Betis.
However all is not lost there as Betis is in Seville which is a beautiful City too.
Not sure on the stadium as I’ve never been there, though it looks decent and holds 60,000.

If you ever get a chance and you’ve not been I can thoroughly recommend Valencia as a city to visit and the ground is very walkable from the city centre.
I usually go back for around 3 /4 months of the year and take in quite a few of their games.
We think QPR are in the shite, Valencia are in free fall having sold almost all of their homegrown and established players of which there were plenty.
The club is in a mess but it’s a great place to live or visit
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:16 - Jul 31 with 3885 viewsMedwayR

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:14 - Jul 31 by westy

Was going to suggest Valencia, amazing City, lovely stadium however they are playing away that weekend at Real Betis.
However all is not lost there as Betis is in Seville which is a beautiful City too.
Not sure on the stadium as I’ve never been there, though it looks decent and holds 60,000.

If you ever get a chance and you’ve not been I can thoroughly recommend Valencia as a city to visit and the ground is very walkable from the city centre.
I usually go back for around 3 /4 months of the year and take in quite a few of their games.
We think QPR are in the shite, Valencia are in free fall having sold almost all of their homegrown and established players of which there were plenty.
The club is in a mess but it’s a great place to live or visit

If Valencia are away Levante would be playing at home?

Poll: Who’s better?

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:34 - Jul 31 with 3846 viewswesty

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:16 - Jul 31 by MedwayR

If Valencia are away Levante would be playing at home?

Bizarrely they are away to Elche that weekend.
Nice little ground Levante.
They just missed out on promotion back to La liga, losing in the play off final.
Maybe they’ll go back up this season, probably replacing Valencia
Login to get fewer ads

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 22:19 - Jul 31 with 3740 views1MoreBrightonR

Went to see Valencia on our last trip BUT didn't know that Seville had two teams so that's def an option. Think Utrecht may tick all the boxes so far though.

Cheers for all the tips.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 07:10 - Aug 1 with 3610 viewswestberksr

Rotterdam is direct on Eurostar so could see Feyenoord playing in the old QPR away kit.

they are at home on the 30th.

possibly not as good as Amsterdam or Utrecht, but still plenty to do
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 08:08 - Aug 1 with 3576 viewsKonk

I like Rotterdam but it might be tricky getting tickets for Feyenoord. I’ve only been able to watch games there using someone’s season ticket or membership when they weren’t using it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 08:20 - Aug 1 with 3557 viewsDejR_vu

I think the ‘Grounds for Divorce’ guy, Mel(?), is yer-man on this (the trip that is, not your domestic arrangements)

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 08:36 - Aug 1 with 3539 viewskernowhoop

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 14:50 - Jul 31 by sparkey

Went to Milan in April, brilliant stadium. Despite people saying how Milan is too touristy, fake etc,.. I enjoyed my time in the city too. Chose an Inter game not AC as worked to my schedule.

Agreed. Many years ago, I had a work appointment in Milan on a Monday. It was almost as cheap to buy a weekend 'holiday' package, including hotel, from the airline than to fly out Sunday night and return Monday night.
I went to the San Siro on the Sunday, to see AC Milan v Piacenza. 0-0 and not a sparkling game, but, I saw and admired defender Baresi and attacker George Weah and also saw Baggio (is he still coming to QPR?) miss a penalty. Great experience.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 08:44 - Aug 1 with 3515 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/athletic-bilbao/scores-fixtures/2023-10

Looks like Bilbao are away to Sociedad that weekend.
Now THAT would be an amazing weekend. Tickets mightn't be easy to find or cheap and transport to, from and around the Basque Country can be tricky, but what a city San Sebastian is! And what a game!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 10:42 - Aug 1 with 3435 viewsjoe90

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 08:44 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/athletic-bilbao/scores-fixtures/2023-10

Looks like Bilbao are away to Sociedad that weekend.
Now THAT would be an amazing weekend. Tickets mightn't be easy to find or cheap and transport to, from and around the Basque Country can be tricky, but what a city San Sebastian is! And what a game!

San Sebastián is a great city! Football aside, you’re guaranteed some very tasty food!
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 12:18 - Aug 1 with 3374 viewsSuffolkHoop

Spain has some great city break games that weekend. Obviously Seville for Real Betis v Valencia. You've also got Girona v Real Madrid that weekend - Girona is a great little city in Catalunya, interesting place, cheap and easy to fly there from the UK.

Real Sociedad v Bilbao is the highlight that weekend though in San Sebastian and at the newly rebuilt Anoeta - its just less easy to get to. You can fly to Biarritz in France and get the train/bus over the border to San Sebastian, takes about an hour. Bilbao / Bilbao Airport is a similar commute the other way.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 12:22]
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 12:31 - Aug 1 with 3349 viewsDavieQPR

Son did the Lazio-Roma derby last season. If anyone thinks English club shirts are expensive. Last seasons are still around the £90- £100 mark.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 12:37 - Aug 1 with 3339 viewsSonofNorfolt

I just had a quick browse for that weekend and for me the stand out is Lisbon. Benfica v Porto. Newly promoted Estrela are also at home.
The Basque derby is a great shout but briefs may not be that easy to get.
The Netherlands isn't a great place to watch footie any more, you'd be better off in Northern Belgium.
I shall probably be Watching Union Berlin in Heidenheim that weekend to re-complete the Bundesliga.
If you have to be back on the Sunday that somewhat limits your options, most of Serie A is played then.
If you want any advise just message me.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 15:35 - Aug 1 with 3215 viewsBoston

Sept 30th - Lossiemouth v current Highland League champs Brechin City. Pre match neeps and tatties, followed by a few pints of heavy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 16:20 - Aug 1 with 3177 viewsTramoreRanger

As an alternative to the bigger Spanish clubs how about going to Vitoria Gestiez an hour or so south of Bilbao and home of Alaves who were promoted last season beating Levante in the play off final. Vitoria is a lovely city and was the start point of stage 2 of this years TdF. Plus it's only an hour's drive from some lovely areas of Rioja wine region.......
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 16:55 - Aug 1 with 3146 viewsNewBee

A less obvious possibility might be Strasbourg - scheduled to be at home to Lens on 01 October?

Strasbourg is a truly lovely city, and the French "Capital of Beer" to boot, with some cracking bars (Though you're no distance from the Champagne region, with any amount of good still available wine too)

Accessibility-wise, Eurostar via Paris is not too bad - minimum journey is 5 hours (and a bit), but the train saves at least an hour each way from feckin' about in the queue for airport security etc. And it's a train, not a flying cigar tube, so you can eat, drink, walk around and enjoy the scenery in relative comfort:
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train/france/london-to-strasbourg

And as a possible added bonus, Freiburg (Bundesliga) are due to play at home on 01 October (16.30). Should the Strasbourg game get moved to the Friday or Saturday, you could maybe even do both since the two cities are only 55 miles apart?

Freiburg is another great city, though more Germanic (obv) and I went to a game there a couple of years ago. Great old-style football stadium, with beer on the terraces etc, though they've since moved to a new stadium by the edge of the local airport. Team's goimng very well, too.
Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 17:22 - Aug 1 with 3117 viewsaston_hoop

A heads up that Real Sociedad v Athletic club is a Basque derby so I don't know how that would work with being able to pick up tickets. Otherwise, San Sebastian is an amazing city, would be my pick. If you go to the ground, make sure you take cash as they don't do card there! As a side note, Eibar are also at home that weekend to Tenerife, cracking little town and you can take the local rattler out there to watch them from San Sebastian, worth a small excursion if thats on one afternoon.

Alaves v Osasuna that weekend too if you wanted to make a Basque weekend of it, Vitoria-Gasteiz as mentioned above is a cracking little city. Shame Osasuna are not the home team though as El Sadar is probably in my top 3 La Liga grounds since its been renovated.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 17:23]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Help choosing a football weekend abroad on 18:19 - Aug 1 with 3063 viewsSuffolkHoop

Not seen it mentioned but for a less famous / high profile derby than the one in Spain that weekend there is Rennes v Nantes in the Derby Breton. The games in Rennes but you can fly to Nantes from Gatwick or Stansted and it’s an hour to Rennes on the train. Could stay in either, both great.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024