Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Match thread 14:57 - Sep 19 with 38964 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Hopefully we can mute their fans and giver them a whoopering…..I’ll get my coat.

Going for a solid 2-0 win tonight.

Come on you SuperHooopsah
Swans Match thread on 10:19 - Sep 20 with 2039 viewsTheChef

Swans Match thread on 07:45 - Sep 20 by daveB

shows how people see game differently. I thought Willock did OK, not sure where he was supposed to be playing though. Miles off what he can be but needs games and no lack of effort from him which has been the case for a while. Seemed to have 2/3 men on him every time he got the ball but didn't lose it very often

Chair was very good, worked so hard all game to make something happen

Overall it was good to see the effort on show and to come from behind to get something. Small steps but it was better than Saturday

Loads to improve on but games like last night show that phrase I just want to see the team giving their all is complete nonsense as this team clearly is but no one seems happy about it
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 7:48]

Unless we win, it just feels like some people like to moan for the sake of moaning.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Swans Match thread on 10:22 - Sep 20 with 2029 viewsHAYESBOY

Swans Match thread on 07:45 - Sep 20 by daveB

shows how people see game differently. I thought Willock did OK, not sure where he was supposed to be playing though. Miles off what he can be but needs games and no lack of effort from him which has been the case for a while. Seemed to have 2/3 men on him every time he got the ball but didn't lose it very often

Chair was very good, worked so hard all game to make something happen

Overall it was good to see the effort on show and to come from behind to get something. Small steps but it was better than Saturday

Loads to improve on but games like last night show that phrase I just want to see the team giving their all is complete nonsense as this team clearly is but no one seems happy about it
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 7:48]

I also think Willock did ok. Got fouled a lot in the first half. Certainly wasn't jogging around not interested, same for Dozzell, who played the pass of the night to Armstrong who should at least test the keeper.
Outstanding player of the night though was Chair.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Swans Match thread on 10:29 - Sep 20 with 2001 viewsParkRoyalR

Positives / stand-outs last night, IMO:

1) Dykes - changed the game before his superbly taken header by bringing some organisation to our frontline by pressing well, holding the ball up & laying off well

2) Willock - absolute superb cross for Smyth on a six pence 6 yards out which Smyth had to score and would have been a superb assist and equaliser (Smyth should have been on side, no excuses), also great run 1st Half and nearly finished with a great solo goal - not back to 1st half of last season MOTM performances yet but the signs are there

3) Field - worked the midfield single-handedly, a great run down the last, great 1st touch, head-up, great 1st time cross and Dykes should have made contact and got an effort on target

4) Chair - amazing work-rate as always, arguably his ball-possession alone kept us in the game but countering this is his achilles of not releasing the ball at the right time as in the 2nd Half when Willock was on 15 yards out awaiting a simple pass for a clean shot on goal and Chair turned back the other way; decent enough cross for goal but Dykes gambled and attacked the near post and at this level to finish that ball as he did was well against the odds.

5) Paal, Cook, Fox, Smyth all very good and Kakay and Armstrong worked hard

Negatives / stand out from last night, IMO:

1) Ainsworth

Starting Line Up: How does playing Smyth, Willock and Chair with Armstrong as a lone-striker make any sense at all?

Substitutions: Dykes should have come on at H/T, Kelman was lets just say, a strange choice, if he makes it above L2 level, I'll be surprised

2) Dozzell

Having missed his couple of apparently decent performances this season, although did see Watford at home last season, gave up and threw the towel in on him at Wimbledon pre-season and last night was the same, has'nt got the athleticism to play more that 60 minutes and the desire to run and / or break the line, the weak link last night imo and was carried by Field, we cannot carry him against better teams and missed Colback in the middle last night.
Swans Match thread on 10:29 - Sep 20 with 2002 viewsTheChef

Swans Match thread on 10:22 - Sep 20 by HAYESBOY

I also think Willock did ok. Got fouled a lot in the first half. Certainly wasn't jogging around not interested, same for Dozzell, who played the pass of the night to Armstrong who should at least test the keeper.
Outstanding player of the night though was Chair.

Dozzell was a pleasant surprise - I thought he would struggle with just Field alongside him, without Colback, but he went about his job quietly and effectively. Clearly the coaching staff are getting some improvements there.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Swans Match thread on 10:31 - Sep 20 with 1980 viewsBklynRanger

I don't seem to have as negative view of the performance as the match thread. Did Nick and Andy have the hump or something?

We stuttered at times, and played some quite nice stuff at times. A handful of good performances I thought. Their goal should apparently not have stood so IF (I know) you'd taken that early setback out of the equation we'd have made hard work of a win. Didn't see much else coming from Swansea to change that.

Sinclair should have scored in the first half. Shocking miss, think he was expecting the flag, but shocking. And on the 77th minute Dykes had a cross that I thought he could have stretched for but will need to see again - agree with your point on that Nix.

Deeply frustrating but the only player I was pissed off with last night was Colback.
Swans Match thread on 11:38 - Sep 20 with 1813 viewsQPROslo

Swans Match thread on 23:37 - Sep 19 by Antti_Heinola

We were desperately poor, but didn’t ‘get away’ with anything. It was two very poor teams, one scored a handball, the other equalised. 1-1 was a fair result.

Paal was player of the match for me, Smyth and Field also good. Chair patchy but if we had 11 players who ran like Illy, Field and Smyth we’d win the league.

Willock was desperate. Jesus what has happened?

Two away wins didn’t convince me however, it’ll be miraculous if we stay up.

I thought Paal was caught too far upfield for their handball goal and couldn't get back, leading to Cook getting pulled out of position. Some wayward passes too early on. He seemed out of position, too far away from Fox, a few times on Saturday to me as well. Think he's struggling a bit to manage both the attacking and especially the defensive part of that WB role. His 2 goals have been good compensation.

Chair my MOM.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 11:39]
Swans Match thread on 14:55 - Sep 20 with 1573 viewsParkRoyalR

Swans Match thread on 11:38 - Sep 20 by QPROslo

I thought Paal was caught too far upfield for their handball goal and couldn't get back, leading to Cook getting pulled out of position. Some wayward passes too early on. He seemed out of position, too far away from Fox, a few times on Saturday to me as well. Think he's struggling a bit to manage both the attacking and especially the defensive part of that WB role. His 2 goals have been good compensation.

Chair my MOM.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 11:39]

Just re-watched the highlights, and hate calling the lad out as he's a decent fella, but take a deep breath and watch Ossie Kakay defending / positional play in losing his man for their goal,

Almost as bad as Rob Dickie for Jordan Hughill's 1st goal at Rotherham away last year, but other than watching the ball & losing his man, Ossie body-shape & footwork is all over the place,

Ossie's well documented positional play weakness is explained in part by 'ball-watching' rather than just getting tight to his man, but also consistently getting his body shape all wrong and not opening his body up to cover the likely path of the ball,

Really like the lad, and maybe a decent Championship Level Right Midfielder, but a defender, not if we are relying on our defence to keep us up this year.
Swans Match thread on 15:08 - Sep 20 with 1548 viewsdaveB

Swans Match thread on 14:55 - Sep 20 by ParkRoyalR

Just re-watched the highlights, and hate calling the lad out as he's a decent fella, but take a deep breath and watch Ossie Kakay defending / positional play in losing his man for their goal,

Almost as bad as Rob Dickie for Jordan Hughill's 1st goal at Rotherham away last year, but other than watching the ball & losing his man, Ossie body-shape & footwork is all over the place,

Ossie's well documented positional play weakness is explained in part by 'ball-watching' rather than just getting tight to his man, but also consistently getting his body shape all wrong and not opening his body up to cover the likely path of the ball,

Really like the lad, and maybe a decent Championship Level Right Midfielder, but a defender, not if we are relying on our defence to keep us up this year.

He got a lot better when we switched to a back 4, him and Smyth were all over the place first 15 mins
Login to get fewer ads

Swans Match thread on 16:00 - Sep 20 with 1462 viewsLoft1979

Swans Match thread on 09:27 - Sep 20 by TK1

Armstrong's most effective game was Cardiff, when Dykes also played. They need to play together, neither is a lone striker - it's too much to ask of Armstrong at this stage anyway as teams know him now.

When Colback returns and with a decent new RB (fingers crossed), I''d consider a front three of Dykes centrally with Smyth and Armstrong either side, Chair (Dozzell and Willock as understudies) behind centrally and Field and Colback in front of a back four. We have good enough, fit CBs now for that and I'd pick Cook with JCS. GA won't do this (but whoever replaces him if we don't start winning home games surely will). Currently, we have no pattern of attacking play other than channel balls to Armstrong who is man-marked with a spare to cover. This at least provides some options for those balls to stick.

Thank you. Those comments reflect my thoughts.

-Armstrongs pace and power could show best (ala BOS) on the right with LD mopping up.

- Willock/Smyth on the left where i think we know they are most effective. I hope to see Chair deeper behind LD.
Swans Match thread on 16:53 - Sep 20 with 1376 viewsVancouverHoop

Probably the biggest positive for me was that we scored late... very late. A few games back we were done on 70 minutes. We'd have lost that match then, no question. But yesterday we still had the desire and fitness to go 90+.

It's also worth remembering that, Paal, Dozzell, Field Chair, and arguably Kakay, were the only players in our starting line-up yesterday who were regulars last season. Presently we have a team of footballers who've played just seven league games together. It's not a sport where you can just 'plug 'n' play' individuals, they have to know each others game. Given all that a point per game average over our first seven matches is far from horrible.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 16:53]
Swans Match thread on 18:36 - Sep 20 with 1269 viewsManinBlack

Swans Match thread on 16:53 - Sep 20 by VancouverHoop

Probably the biggest positive for me was that we scored late... very late. A few games back we were done on 70 minutes. We'd have lost that match then, no question. But yesterday we still had the desire and fitness to go 90+.

It's also worth remembering that, Paal, Dozzell, Field Chair, and arguably Kakay, were the only players in our starting line-up yesterday who were regulars last season. Presently we have a team of footballers who've played just seven league games together. It's not a sport where you can just 'plug 'n' play' individuals, they have to know each others game. Given all that a point per game average over our first seven matches is far from horrible.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 16:53]

I don't doubt what you say and our start could have been worse but having said that we have lost four out of seven games or five out of eight if you throw in the Norwich cup tie.

What is giving me nightmares is our home form. We only have a solitary point at home in three games and a record of one win in about 20 home fixtures. That is disgraceful and you can't just sweep it under the carpet as if it is not happening. We now have 20 home games left this season so if we carry on as we are we might only win one of those which will mean relegation. To stay up we are going to have to get around 40 plus away points which we won't do.

Something urgently has to happen to address this depressing statistic and it has to happen sooner rather than later. The longer it continues the more fearful the team will get playing at home. All teams win more home games at home than away whether they are top of the table or at the bottom.

On paper Swansea was one of our easier home games and we nearly lost that too. When we won at Cardiff I was hopeful they might be one of three teams to finish below us. However, they have picked up 9 points from their three subsequent home fixtures so losing to us didn't phase them. I can't see us winning three in a row at home anytime soon as we have one lousy home win in the whole of 2023.

If we can't win at home we are down so we cannot have another one win scenario in the remaining 20 home fixtures.
Swans Match thread on 18:50 - Sep 20 with 1236 viewsHarbour

Due to domestic commitments was my first game at LR last night. On the positive side the pitch looked good and the PA system in the SA Rd stand sounded much better louder and less distorted. On the pitch the team clearly gave everything and the ET equaliser was reward for the endeavour. However the overall quality of our play was poor. The slow start and sloppy defending it was not a surprise Swansea went ahead but saying that blatant handball for the goal being missed by the ref and Lino was scandalous. We looked second to most balls and devoid of ideas. The best chance fell to Sinclair first half but he rushed it and scuffed it over the bar. Dykes coming on second half big improvement and great goal well taken. Ilias was non stop and my standout player yes he does sometimes hold onto the ball too long but his overall 0lat very good. Special mention to Sam Field gave everything. Need a big improvement if we are to avoid the drop as the performance last night not good enough.
Swans Match thread on 19:03 - Sep 20 with 1214 viewsTK1

Swans Match thread on 10:19 - Sep 20 by TheChef

Unless we win, it just feels like some people like to moan for the sake of moaning.

We've won ONE game at home since last October. That's one win at home since October 2022. In that same time, we have lost FOURTEEN home games. 14 defeats. At home. Meanwhile: one win, a 1-0.

So, yeah, some people who go to those games need to at some point see a little bit more than "the lads have left it all out of the pitch." Well done. Win a game. Have a gameplan and attacking pattern of play to win a game beyond hitting the ball long for a 20 year old rookie striker with one career goal to his name to chase in a ludicrous lone striking role at home. Away, fine. We're at home to a terrible team. Start on the front foot, try to win, play your two strikers who you claim will each "score double figures". Prove it, Gareth. Don't concede team to a team who are even more bereft of confidence than us in such a sloppy fashion. I could go on and on and on...

Yeah. I very rarely moan at matches, or even away from them. But this last calendar year has done it for me. No more jam tomorrow from Gareth Ainsworth. I want jam right now. Give me jam, Gareth. Stop gaslighting us, stop telling us everything is brilliant, that we just need to "convert our chances" (three attempts on target all night, at home).

"Unless we win, some people just like to moan". Yes. I'm moaning. One win in 12 months, 14 defeats. Win some games (plural) and it all stops. Can he do that? I don't know. The squad is good enough though. Unfortunately, I have a season ticket. So I need to some wins (plural) at some point before next October to stop moaning now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 19:07]
Swans Match thread on 20:10 - Sep 20 with 1089 viewsVancouverHoop

Thing is Ainsworth isn't really talking to us — the fans — in his post match interviews, he's talking, indirectly, to his players.

Modern coaches are man managers. They are surrogate fathers, late-night confidantes and semi-professional therapists. Figuring out how to talk to the fans is the least important part of their job. Whatever Ainsworth says in public it's always with his players in mind.
Swans Match thread on 20:57 - Sep 20 with 1009 viewsManinBlack

Swans Match thread on 19:03 - Sep 20 by TK1

We've won ONE game at home since last October. That's one win at home since October 2022. In that same time, we have lost FOURTEEN home games. 14 defeats. At home. Meanwhile: one win, a 1-0.

So, yeah, some people who go to those games need to at some point see a little bit more than "the lads have left it all out of the pitch." Well done. Win a game. Have a gameplan and attacking pattern of play to win a game beyond hitting the ball long for a 20 year old rookie striker with one career goal to his name to chase in a ludicrous lone striking role at home. Away, fine. We're at home to a terrible team. Start on the front foot, try to win, play your two strikers who you claim will each "score double figures". Prove it, Gareth. Don't concede team to a team who are even more bereft of confidence than us in such a sloppy fashion. I could go on and on and on...

Yeah. I very rarely moan at matches, or even away from them. But this last calendar year has done it for me. No more jam tomorrow from Gareth Ainsworth. I want jam right now. Give me jam, Gareth. Stop gaslighting us, stop telling us everything is brilliant, that we just need to "convert our chances" (three attempts on target all night, at home).

"Unless we win, some people just like to moan". Yes. I'm moaning. One win in 12 months, 14 defeats. Win some games (plural) and it all stops. Can he do that? I don't know. The squad is good enough though. Unfortunately, I have a season ticket. So I need to some wins (plural) at some point before next October to stop moaning now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 19:07]

An interesting point you made about a lack of shots on target which has been a key factor in our lack of goals particularly down the Loft end. By contrast last night Man City had 37 shots, 22 in the first half without scoring, with 16 attempts on target. This highlights the huge imbalance in finances between the Champions League billionaires and skint clubs further down the pyramid when it comes to having the best attacking players and creativity.
Swans Match thread on 12:58 - Sep 21 with 769 viewsHoopsie

Swans Match thread on 20:57 - Sep 20 by ManinBlack

An interesting point you made about a lack of shots on target which has been a key factor in our lack of goals particularly down the Loft end. By contrast last night Man City had 37 shots, 22 in the first half without scoring, with 16 attempts on target. This highlights the huge imbalance in finances between the Champions League billionaires and skint clubs further down the pyramid when it comes to having the best attacking players and creativity.

Skint clubs like Luton with one goal and 4 losses with no points is a better comparison to Man City

We are actually a FFP-handicapped Championship billionaires club which ain’t allow buy a star striker (wait, does that make it worse 🤔)
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 12:29]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024