Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) 22:58 - Dec 1 with 14398 viewsextratimeR

Sky Cretin " I can't believe they put Chair on the bench?"

Sky Commentator " They've had three games in six days"
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:26 - Dec 4 with 1674 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:15 - Dec 4 by CamberleyR

She has presented (of sorts) as she has for the last two or three seasons at least been one of Sky's live match reporters on Soccer Saturday although I don't recall seeing her on it this season when I've seen it.

For me, I quite like Sue Smith as a pundit on Sky. She knows what she's talking about.

Then you'd think with this experience she'd be better at the job.

I don't mind Sue Smith, but Alex Scott is better. Fara Williams, Laura Georges, and Rachel Brown-Finnis are also worth a mention. As for presenters, I've got time for Kate Abdo, Laura Woods, Reshmin Chowdhury, and Michelle Owen.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:27 - Dec 4 with 1691 viewsterryb

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 15:44 - Dec 4 by Benny_the_Ball

Then perhaps you need to learn to read rather than rely on recollections. It's there if you can be bothered to look.

I've reread the whole thread & the only possible creative criticism is that she should learn to talk less. There certainly hasn't been anything constructive in your comments!

Perhaps you should take your own advice or expresss yourselve in a less aggressive manner.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:51 - Dec 4 with 1636 viewsMatch82

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 21:48 - Dec 3 by Benny_the_Ball

Seems to be a current trend of the woke brigade to always make gender/race/religion the issue and therefore support mediocrity.

The bottom line is that Friday's commentator was poor. That she happens to be female has nothing to do with it. Had she been male and made the same comments, I, and others like me, would have levelled the same constructive criticism.

We maintain that criticism but welcome any lucid, rational, evidence-based counter arguments. However, no amount of wokery will win me over and will be dismissed as the weak, irrational, unsubstantiated waffle that it is.

I can sympathize with your first sentence about the woke brigade making everything about gender/race/religion. But in this case it's literally a reaction to an incredibly provocative sentence below, I'm not sure you can really blame "the woke brigade" for the direction this thread went?

"The commentators were terrible, particularly the female - how on earth did she get a job??!! I guess being a female gets you into any job you like these days"
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:52 - Dec 4 with 1612 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:27 - Dec 4 by terryb

I've reread the whole thread & the only possible creative criticism is that she should learn to talk less. There certainly hasn't been anything constructive in your comments!

Perhaps you should take your own advice or expresss yourselve in a less aggressive manner.

Then you need to get your eyes tested.

On the very first page alone, numerous posters criticised the commentary team for offering no insight and making various ridiculous comments including but not limited to:
- portraying Marti as being reluctant to play
- blaming QPR players for choosing the wrong studs
- suggesting that Preston dominated the first half and deserved to be ahead

These were all valid, constructive criticisms because the reality was the game was being played in artic conditions and the first half was a non-event with the sum of Preston's efforts being one tame shot from Ched Evans.

Sky's bias was compounded by the fact that the studio had an ex-Preston player in David Nugent but no QPR representation.

There were also similar points made on the match thread but I won't be reviewing that on your behalf.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:57 - Dec 4 with 1613 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:01 - Dec 4 by Antti_Heinola

It is excellent and Richie was probably the greatest commentator in any sport ever. But it's one thing to apply those to a sedate game of cricket, and another in a bish bash bosh game of football - several of them not even relevant.

I have to chuckle about some of the criticism of pundits and commentators. It is an incredibly hard job, and there's no real way to learn how to do it other than to be on TV doing it, or maybe the radio. People seem to think it's an easy job, but that's unbelievably naive and very unfair. I think Sky have some excellent pundits, male and female. On the BBC, Lineker is simply a superb anchor of sport, as is Hazel Irvine and others. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't make them mediocre or talking rubbish.

Please note: none of the above applies to Hinchcliffe who truly is the worst pundit in the history of all sport in any country in history.

Jim Beglin pops into the room.

The grass is always greener.

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:57 - Dec 4 with 1591 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:51 - Dec 4 by Match82

I can sympathize with your first sentence about the woke brigade making everything about gender/race/religion. But in this case it's literally a reaction to an incredibly provocative sentence below, I'm not sure you can really blame "the woke brigade" for the direction this thread went?

"The commentators were terrible, particularly the female - how on earth did she get a job??!! I guess being a female gets you into any job you like these days"

As some folk can't be bothered to read the entire thread let's be clear that I didn't make that particular comment nor do I agree with it. Outside of this there was plenty of constructive criticism (as summarised immediately above) but the woke brigade are always keen to ignore the general conversation to focus on one ill-advised comment. I'm reining it back in so that the key message isn't lost or cancelled.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 17:00]
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:00 - Dec 4 with 1594 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:57 - Dec 4 by Benny_the_Ball

As some folk can't be bothered to read the entire thread let's be clear that I didn't make that particular comment nor do I agree with it. Outside of this there was plenty of constructive criticism (as summarised immediately above) but the woke brigade are always keen to ignore the general conversation to focus on one ill-advised comment. I'm reining it back in so that the key message isn't lost or cancelled.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 17:00]

Why do you consider woke to be a pejorative?

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:00 - Dec 4 with 1594 viewsngbqpr

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:57 - Dec 4 by Esox_Lucius

Jim Beglin pops into the room.

...with his good friend Don Goodman holding his beer.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:10 - Dec 4 with 1554 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:00 - Dec 4 by ngbqpr

...with his good friend Don Goodman holding his beer.

Master of hindsight without insight.

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:39 - Dec 4 with 1505 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:00 - Dec 4 by Esox_Lucius

It's not the original 1940s ideology that I find pejorative, more the way its being applied in modern society, the individuals who've adopted it and the toxicity it's created.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/6/24/what-is-woke-culture-and-why-has-it
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:59 - Dec 4 with 1507 viewsderbyhoop

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:00 - Dec 4 by Esox_Lucius

It's a term that is only used pejoratively.

If woke means you carefully consider the situation and are sympathetic to those people less fortunate go through, I'm very happy to be called "woke".

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:08 - Dec 4 with 1477 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:59 - Dec 4 by derbyhoop

It's a term that is only used pejoratively.

If woke means you carefully consider the situation and are sympathetic to those people less fortunate go through, I'm very happy to be called "woke".

It didn't mean that when it was originally coined in the US in the 1940s and sure as hell doesn't mean that today.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:31 - Dec 4 with 1468 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:39 - Dec 4 by Benny_the_Ball

It's not the original 1940s ideology that I find pejorative, more the way its being applied in modern society, the individuals who've adopted it and the toxicity it's created.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/6/24/what-is-woke-culture-and-why-has-it

You've succinctly illustrated how media has manipulated the ideology of caring and weponised it to create division among the masses. Interesting you chose Al Jazeera as your source, over the last couple of years they have become the most trustworthy of news sources despite its name. Their Labour Files documentaries were a revelation and indicative of just how biased reporting in this country has become.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 18:38]

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:20 - Dec 4 with 1422 viewsterryb

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 16:52 - Dec 4 by Benny_the_Ball

Then you need to get your eyes tested.

On the very first page alone, numerous posters criticised the commentary team for offering no insight and making various ridiculous comments including but not limited to:
- portraying Marti as being reluctant to play
- blaming QPR players for choosing the wrong studs
- suggesting that Preston dominated the first half and deserved to be ahead

These were all valid, constructive criticisms because the reality was the game was being played in artic conditions and the first half was a non-event with the sum of Preston's efforts being one tame shot from Ched Evans.

Sky's bias was compounded by the fact that the studio had an ex-Preston player in David Nugent but no QPR representation.

There were also similar points made on the match thread but I won't be reviewing that on your behalf.

We will just have to accept that we have different views on what is constructive!

If you reread my first post I stated that I thought she was wrong to say that Preston dominated the first half & They certainly didn't deserve to be in front. I think that your other highlighed items were all said by the commentator & not the co-commentator.

What it all comes down to is that you (and others) thought they were poor. I thought that they were far better than I heard from from Hinchliffe & companion on Saturday, Dublin every time he is on duty & many others.

You are quite entitled to disagree, but I dispute that you need to get personal in your comments.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:34 - Dec 4 with 1384 viewskensalriser

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:47 - Dec 4 with 1371 viewsDiggertheMole

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 09:16 - Dec 3 by QPR_Jim

Early in the second half there were 3 stats (Passes Completed, Possession and something else) for the first half shown on the screen all heavily in Preston's favour, so I don't think it's untrue to say they dominated the first half. You can dominate a game of football without creating chances which is essentially what they said as well, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I think the issue of Dykes "sending off" which was more than a little hysterical. No complaints about a female commentator, but just as with referees, linos, managers, directors, owners , players and supporters, they must be competent and objective to validate their view,. The commentary team on Friday was neither of these. The grudging faint praise for QPR once they had seen off Preston's early enthusiasm (no more because they did nothing with their initial possession and territory), for the second quarter of the match and then clearly dominant in the second half , was phrased in a deafening non-comment and reluctant concession of defensive determination. Bias in a national broadcaster, when it achieves the heights of pro-Preston desperation as of Friday, needs to be curtailed. I am sure the team from Friday - summarisers and commentators- have better days ahead of them - just preferably not dealing with a QPR match.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:56 - Dec 4 with 1360 viewsNorthernr

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:47 - Dec 4 by DiggertheMole

I think the issue of Dykes "sending off" which was more than a little hysterical. No complaints about a female commentator, but just as with referees, linos, managers, directors, owners , players and supporters, they must be competent and objective to validate their view,. The commentary team on Friday was neither of these. The grudging faint praise for QPR once they had seen off Preston's early enthusiasm (no more because they did nothing with their initial possession and territory), for the second quarter of the match and then clearly dominant in the second half , was phrased in a deafening non-comment and reluctant concession of defensive determination. Bias in a national broadcaster, when it achieves the heights of pro-Preston desperation as of Friday, needs to be curtailed. I am sure the team from Friday - summarisers and commentators- have better days ahead of them - just preferably not dealing with a QPR match.

It feels to me watching Sky's Championship coverage these days they often decide on the narrative or 'the story' and then try and make everything that subsequently happens fit into that. Just call the game as it plays out, narratives present themselves naturally over the course of the game, and if they don't you just do 1,500 words on an old episode of Air Crash Investigation instead.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 17:56 - Dec 5 with 1133 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:20 - Dec 4 by terryb

We will just have to accept that we have different views on what is constructive!

If you reread my first post I stated that I thought she was wrong to say that Preston dominated the first half & They certainly didn't deserve to be in front. I think that your other highlighed items were all said by the commentator & not the co-commentator.

What it all comes down to is that you (and others) thought they were poor. I thought that they were far better than I heard from from Hinchliffe & companion on Saturday, Dublin every time he is on duty & many others.

You are quite entitled to disagree, but I dispute that you need to get personal in your comments.

"If you reread my first post I stated that I thought she was wrong to say that Preston dominated the first half"

Numpty and I both made exactly the same point immediately prior to you so if you think we were being unconstructive then de facto you're guilty of the same!

Now, if you want to be treated with respect then don't pretend that having reviewed the entire thread you couldn't see anything other than "she was poor", and then when someone takes the time to lay out irrefutable evidence to the contrary, double down and pretend that the comments were said by someone else.

Wrong and strong still makes you wrong. That's why you're now overreaching by playing the victim and pretending that it's personal. I've made it abundantly clear; wokery don't wash with me.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:18 - Dec 5 with 1087 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:31 - Dec 4 by Esox_Lucius

You've succinctly illustrated how media has manipulated the ideology of caring and weponised it to create division among the masses. Interesting you chose Al Jazeera as your source, over the last couple of years they have become the most trustworthy of news sources despite its name. Their Labour Files documentaries were a revelation and indicative of just how biased reporting in this country has become.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 18:38]

I deliberately chose an Al Jazeera article because had I gone with a British one no doubt wokees would try to cancel the debate with false cries of mainstream media bias. And therein lies the fundamental problem with modern woke culture. The instinct of modern wokeness is to simply shut down debate. Wokeness implies that those not in the club are asleep, deluded or wrong. There are examples of it on this thread with folk too lazy to construct lucid counter-arguments settling for mediocrity, redefining the meaning of woke, or resorting to Kathy Burke gifs (as if she means anything to me). It is this self-anointed moral superiority that forms a dividing line and creates division among the masses.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:22 - Dec 5 with 1081 viewspaulparker

SKY ‘s championship coverage is poor , yeah the woman are bad but to have Lee Hendrie, Hinchcliffe , mcanuff and Clinton Morrison as pundits is really lazy and none of them are any good
I’d like to see a station buck the trend with their coverage and do something different instead of the standard
Pretty girl presenter
Pretty girl interviewer
Crap ex pro
Crap Co commentator

Skys coverage of the EDL is supposed to change next year but what’s the betting it’s the same format as above

The best pundit I’ve heard in the last 20 years was Warnock when he commentated on our game against sheff Utd, he was a breath of fresh air no bullshit , he knew the players , and wasn’t lazy with his comments
Funny enough he hasn’t been asked to go back since

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:24 - Dec 5 with 1084 viewsNorthernr

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:22 - Dec 5 by paulparker

SKY ‘s championship coverage is poor , yeah the woman are bad but to have Lee Hendrie, Hinchcliffe , mcanuff and Clinton Morrison as pundits is really lazy and none of them are any good
I’d like to see a station buck the trend with their coverage and do something different instead of the standard
Pretty girl presenter
Pretty girl interviewer
Crap ex pro
Crap Co commentator

Skys coverage of the EDL is supposed to change next year but what’s the betting it’s the same format as above

The best pundit I’ve heard in the last 20 years was Warnock when he commentated on our game against sheff Utd, he was a breath of fresh air no bullshit , he knew the players , and wasn’t lazy with his comments
Funny enough he hasn’t been asked to go back since

They went through a little period of having a third commentator, a veteran manager, in that period - Warnock, McCarthy and Wilder all did it, alongside the usual two, and like you I really enjoyed it.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:36 - Dec 5 with 1056 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:18 - Dec 5 by Benny_the_Ball

I deliberately chose an Al Jazeera article because had I gone with a British one no doubt wokees would try to cancel the debate with false cries of mainstream media bias. And therein lies the fundamental problem with modern woke culture. The instinct of modern wokeness is to simply shut down debate. Wokeness implies that those not in the club are asleep, deluded or wrong. There are examples of it on this thread with folk too lazy to construct lucid counter-arguments settling for mediocrity, redefining the meaning of woke, or resorting to Kathy Burke gifs (as if she means anything to me). It is this self-anointed moral superiority that forms a dividing line and creates division among the masses.

Yeah, we might be woke, but we don’t need multiple accounts to make our arguments.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:09 - Dec 5 with 1006 viewsJimthehip

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 19:34 - Dec 4 by kensalriser

Primarily, this crusade against "woke" is just "political correctness gone mad" of our time. Its main objective is to conflate all hatred and disgust at brutal and backwards right wing ideology as being unusual or extreme.

It's a brilliant tool in gaslighting and causing people to doubt their conscience. That's its main function and it works very well.
Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 20:08 - Dec 5 with 930 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 18:18 - Dec 5 by Benny_the_Ball

What it shows is that there are people who actually do care about the plight of those that are worse off than themselves regardless of race, creed, colour or sexual preferences and those that don't give a flying fûck about anyone outside their preferred circle. Pushing your definition of woke to prop up your failings is weak in the extreme. Woke is caring, not your jaundiced interpretation.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 10:06]

Sky ( the entertainment at Preston) on 23:36 - Dec 5 with 798 viewsJevlar

At least it wasn’t Hinchcliffe!

That’s a man QPR must have wronged, given his disdain and general inability to ever praise us when he’s on co-comms.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024