Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first proper trainers or boots. 10:30 - Jan 9 with 5641 viewsSnipper

After seeing the memory loftboy left on the Franz Beckenbauer thread, it got me thinking of what my first ‘named’ trainers and football boots were.

Trainers were Adidas Bamba. I was about 13, and I thought they were the bollocks.
Boots were Adidas Penerol. Again, I thought I was the bees knees.

We played football practically every day growing up, whether it was the caged pen in our flats, the old pitches under the westway or up at St Marks Park.

Thank god there was no social media in those days. We were fit fúckers back then.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:25 - Jan 9 with 1410 viewsthame_hoops

Goodness knows first pair but 100% purchased from Mike Keen sports in High Wycombe. as a teenager i saved up my paper round money for a pair of puma kings as Dad wouldn't stretch to £90 or whatever they were. looking at an inflation calculator, thats £184 now, wow
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:30 - Jan 9 with 1366 viewsDorse

Adidas Hansi Muller boots, still in primary school, in about 1983. We go them in the sale because a) we were potless; b) nobody had ever heard of Hansi Muller because he had a terrible World Cup 1982; c) everybody wanted Puma Dalglish Silver anyway, so bad luck Adidas.

My favourites though were a pair of Hi Tec Torres boots that I got in about 1987. Can't find a picture but I remember obsessively cleaning them after every PE lesson. And then growing out of the damn things and my Mum getting me some from effing Woolworths with 4 stripes on. Because 'they're just as good'.

WERE THEY? WERE THEY MUM?!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 1338 viewsTheChef

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:30 - Jan 9 by Dorse

Adidas Hansi Muller boots, still in primary school, in about 1983. We go them in the sale because a) we were potless; b) nobody had ever heard of Hansi Muller because he had a terrible World Cup 1982; c) everybody wanted Puma Dalglish Silver anyway, so bad luck Adidas.

My favourites though were a pair of Hi Tec Torres boots that I got in about 1987. Can't find a picture but I remember obsessively cleaning them after every PE lesson. And then growing out of the damn things and my Mum getting me some from effing Woolworths with 4 stripes on. Because 'they're just as good'.

WERE THEY? WERE THEY MUM?!

Nice touch with his portrait on the tongue

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Your first proper trainers or boots. (n/t) on 15:51 - Jan 9 with 1327 viewsessextaxiboy

I wore Adidas Santiago boots for years . Used to buy them from Ted Ditchburns(ex Spurs keeper) sports shop in Romford . He was the president of our club and we used to get a discount . He used to present the trophys at the end of the season ... hands like shovels
[Post edited 9 Jan 15:54]
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:54 - Jan 9 with 1321 viewsHAYESBOY

Had Patricks as my first boots as a kid. They were the Keegan ones.

The first boots that I paid for were Adidas World Cup and Umbro Pele's.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1305 viewsloftboy

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:17 - Jan 9 by CamberleyR

Trainers - My Mum has a couple of photos, one with me and my brother in our back garden with our bikes, his a Raleigh Chopper and mine a Raleigh Chipper (like a junior Chopper) and I'm about 6 and kneeling by the bike and on my feet are a pair of white adidas trainers with black stripes.

The other photo is taken in the back garden having a kick around at my 7th birthday party in 1972 and I'm pretty sure they're the same trainers. Can't remember what the particular name of adidas trainers they were.

This was a couple of years before I started supporting QPR so I'm wearing the full 1972 Crystal Palace kit (the white shirt that had a claret and light blue vertical stripe down the middle, think classic Don Rogers) because I really liked the kit which was bought for my birthday from Jim Standen (the ex West Ham keeper) Sports in Camberley. The first trainers I truly remember getting (for my 10th birthday) were adidas Kick (black leather with white stripes) which I'd wager a few of us of a similar age would have had.

Boots - I'm pretty sure they would have been adidas Beckenbauer with the yellow stripes like these:

These are what I had.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 17:06 - Jan 9 with 1261 viewskernowhoop

No 'trainers' when I first played.

First boots had no brand, as far as I recall. Thick leather. Big hard toecap. Studs also made of thin layers of leather, held together and held in the sole with four or five (I think) nails. Dubbin was used on them liberally, although I think that the experts' advice (was that in 'Football Monthly'?) was that, to keep it hard, the toecap should be polished with regular shoe polish. When a stud needed replacing, the boot went upside down on an iron 'foot' and the stud was hammered in place. That 'foot' was used for repairing all the family's footwear.

Second boots? A small step towards the more streamlined boot. A very small toecap and cutaway ankle. They were 'St Crispin Wings'. Were they from the Co-op?

Years later, always Adidas.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 17:53 - Jan 9 with 1220 viewsRsinWales

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPL91ttX0AEo9Uu?format=jpg&name=900x900

My first 'branded' trainers were Adidas Arizona from Kays catalogue! Bought them a size too big so I could wear them for longer. Looked like clown shoes for the first few months! Obviously went for the blue and white version.

No idea what my first boots were, but probably Gola...
[Post edited 9 Jan 17:58]
Login to get fewer ads

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 18:16 - Jan 9 with 1180 viewsnumptydumpty

No idea apart from they were Adidas !!!

And they got very muddy !!

🤣

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 23:24 - Jan 10 with 1000 viewsNewBee

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:54 - Jan 9 by stowmarketrange

I don’t remember any particular boots but they were probably gola.The trainers were always Dunlop green flash.As a goalie I remember getting my first ever pair of gloves from Decosta in Fulham palace rd.The thin green ones endorsed by the keeper who cost us the 1970 World Cup.I also had an Adidas white holdall to carry everything in to games at the weekend.

I’m glad I grew up in a time before there was social media,PlayStations and constant tv.We were out playing all day back in the 60’s and 70’s,but that was only because there was nothing else to do and I’m sure we would’ve been the same as today’s generation if those things were available back then.

Sorry, but Dunlop Green Flash weren't Trainers in the present accepted sense. Instead they were known as Gym Shoes or Plimsolls (or "guttees" where I come from).

And as someone who suffers from very soft skin, therefore blisters etc, I hated having to wear them in - ditto new school shoes, or new football boots on hard grounds at the beginning of the season.

Then in September 1985 I was on holiday in Turkey, staying with a Turkish mate for a few days. Since we were both playing football at the time, he invited me to join him on a training run one day. I told him I had no running shoes, so he lent me a spare pair of trainers - the first time I'd ever seen, never mind worn, such footwear.

I was slightly apprehensive - those bloody blisters again - but found them to be heavenly: such padding, such comfort!

Anyhow, you can keep your Internet, your cure for Cancer or your National Health Service, Training Shoes are my own personal nomination for "Greatest Invention of the Twentieth Century"
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 09:56 - Jan 11 with 907 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just remember my Mom getting me rugby boots instead of football boots by mistake, and I mean BOOTS. They were up past my ankle well towards my kness and were about four sizes too big.

I went from two stone without them to eight stone with them, and on the offchance that I ever got uprooted and knocked over players would have to run from every corner of the field to help stand me up before I drowned in the puddles.
[Post edited 11 Jan 9:57]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:08 - Jan 11 with 878 viewsflynnbo

Think I had Stylo or Patrick but also had some 2 stripe Adidas copies from a sports shop in Balham.
Like several others, goalkeeper's gloves were the green cotton gloves which always shrank and frayed after a couple of games much like Bonetti's 1970 performance.
Also, loved watching the George Best and Jack Charlton TV summer football coaching programmes back in the day.
Parkes was one of the first English keepers to wear the big gloves lke Sepp Maier; he used to get them from Germany where Sexton got much of his ideas from-maybe he asked Dave to bring him back a pair in his hand luggage.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:33 - Jan 11 with 848 viewsCamberleyR

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:08 - Jan 11 by flynnbo

Think I had Stylo or Patrick but also had some 2 stripe Adidas copies from a sports shop in Balham.
Like several others, goalkeeper's gloves were the green cotton gloves which always shrank and frayed after a couple of games much like Bonetti's 1970 performance.
Also, loved watching the George Best and Jack Charlton TV summer football coaching programmes back in the day.
Parkes was one of the first English keepers to wear the big gloves lke Sepp Maier; he used to get them from Germany where Sexton got much of his ideas from-maybe he asked Dave to bring him back a pair in his hand luggage.

This old Big Match clip explains where and how PP got the gloves originally.

From that was where Phil got the idea for his later Sukan Sports business, importing stuff from Germany supplying goalkeeper equipment.
[Post edited 11 Jan 10:35]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:33 - Jan 11 with 846 viewsthompsonridd

Beckenbauer Super, white with screw in's......beauties!!!!

[Post edited 11 Jan 10:34]
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:33 - Jan 11 with 846 viewsRs_Holy

Adidas still make 'World Cups' and the design has stayed very close to the original boots introduced in 1978s...

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:46 - Jan 11 with 834 viewsLordPork

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:54 - Jan 9 by HAYESBOY

Had Patricks as my first boots as a kid. They were the Keegan ones.

The first boots that I paid for were Adidas World Cup and Umbro Pele's.

Me too!!

Walked into Peter Spivey's in Watford the day after he got MotM during a International match at Wembley, he was some player and had just won European Player of the year.

Clearly thought I could do the same wearing them.

Many year later, after I'd stopped playing my wifes cousin was lamenting how he needed some boots for the coming weekend "no need, I have perfectly good pair hanging in the garage"

I met him the following weekend, "well we were 15 mins into the game and I took a swing at the ball and the whole sole went flying off in the direction of the halfway line"

dam shame, loved those boots. !!
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:47 - Jan 11 with 821 views89_50

The first pair of boots I remember having were a pair of Gola ones from Woolworths.

One day, my Dad had the bright idea of putting them in the oven to dry quickly, after we'd been down the park, kicking a ball around during a storm. Unfortunately, these line of boots were mostly plastic, and ended up melting, subsequently ruining a baking tray in the process.

A few years later, after he'd moved away, he sent me a pair of R9's (the all-silver retail versions), and they were perhaps the greatest pair of boots I ever had.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:30 - Jan 11 with 759 viewsgazza1

Addidas 2000 & Puma King.....with screw in studs.
[Post edited 11 Jan 12:30]
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:13 - Jan 11 with 716 viewsDiscodroids

First football boots at 9 years old were second hand Puma.

We were so poor that they were different sizes, the boots had diffrent stud patterns and colour undersoles, one was black and one was yellow. They were obviously a frankenstein pair of boots bought from a junk shop that were similiar to each other in appearance and presented to me as a matching pair.

It didn't bother me at all as i was used to going to a slum east end primary school dressed in a light blue denim safari suit , if you can get through that you can handle your first pair of football boots looking like they were nicked off a Scarecrow.

first proper trainers i bought were Ellesse Enzo trainers around '81/82 after seeing roscoe tanner wearing them with maximum style on center court. They didn't look quite so swish tredding in the dog shit outside Our price records on east ham high street on a saturday afternoon .
[Post edited 11 Jan 14:20]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:34 - Jan 11 with 681 viewsSheffieldHoop

Think my first boots were hi-tec from the school uniform shop. I would've been about 7. Screw in studs.

Progressed on to Adidas Predators (2002 David Beckham), then Nike Vapours (The OG ones, had silver and red but always played better in silver, thought I was Kevin McLeod) - Then the early total 90s (Gallen and a few others had at the time) but could never get along with them really - Finished on a pair of Ronaldinhos (Basically white and gold tiempos) I got given by a mate, which I loved.

I miss being obsessed with football boots

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 15:03 - Jan 11 with 657 viewsMick_S

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:13 - Jan 11 by Discodroids

First football boots at 9 years old were second hand Puma.

We were so poor that they were different sizes, the boots had diffrent stud patterns and colour undersoles, one was black and one was yellow. They were obviously a frankenstein pair of boots bought from a junk shop that were similiar to each other in appearance and presented to me as a matching pair.

It didn't bother me at all as i was used to going to a slum east end primary school dressed in a light blue denim safari suit , if you can get through that you can handle your first pair of football boots looking like they were nicked off a Scarecrow.

first proper trainers i bought were Ellesse Enzo trainers around '81/82 after seeing roscoe tanner wearing them with maximum style on center court. They didn't look quite so swish tredding in the dog shit outside Our price records on east ham high street on a saturday afternoon .
[Post edited 11 Jan 14:20]

We had a boy at our junior school that would customise his boots by taking the studs out and wearing them as ‘trainers.’

Nothing to do with boots; it was cold and rainy one day before assembly and he didn’t fancy it. So he borrowed his Dad’s Volvo and drove it to school. Parked next to the PE teachers cars by the school gym. Got nicked.

Stylish bloke.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024