Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In memory of Stan 21:43 - Feb 25 with 2885 viewsTerry49

Has anybody thought of how we can honour Stan both now and in the future?
Initially I thought of a statue but given the lack of space outside the ground in SAR this would not seem very practical. Also getting the local council involved to give planning permission would no doubt take God knows how long.
I have thought of a bust or maybe two. One would be for the Forever Rs Bar, whilst the other could be somewhere near the main entrance.
No doubt the club would be willing to pay maybe all the cost but any remaining cost funded by supporters.
In memory of Stan on 07:04 - Feb 26 with 2295 viewsPlanetHonneywood

We should name a stand after him.

And someone should organise a whip round to get one of those big flags to hang from the Loft.

Oh, hang on....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In memory of Stan on 08:12 - Feb 26 with 2222 viewsBexleyHoop

Pre-season charity match versus Man City with proceeds going to Dementia charities would be my suggestion
In memory of Stan on 08:33 - Feb 26 with 2181 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In memory of Stan on 08:12 - Feb 26 by BexleyHoop

Pre-season charity match versus Man City with proceeds going to Dementia charities would be my suggestion

...or Brentford.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

In memory of Stan on 12:45 - Feb 26 with 2014 viewsE17hoop

In memory of Stan on 08:33 - Feb 26 by PlanetHonneywood

...or Brentford.

Dementia charities are more worthy of the funds than Brentford I think.
[Post edited 27 Feb 11:22]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

In memory of Stan on 17:30 - Feb 26 with 1885 viewsBeejnewark

In memory of Stan on 08:12 - Feb 26 by BexleyHoop

Agreed.
In memory of Stan on 17:36 - Feb 26 with 1863 viewsLowerloftLad

Maybe we could look into inviting former clubs and do like an Emirates cup style competition.

Invite Brentford,forest,crewe,orient,Carlisle and City

See if three sides would like to take part in a Stanley bowles cup and all the money would go to charity.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

In memory of Stan on 17:39 - Feb 26 with 1855 viewsAirtomoreira

In memory of Stan on 17:36 - Feb 26 by LowerloftLad

Maybe we could look into inviting former clubs and do like an Emirates cup style competition.

Invite Brentford,forest,crewe,orient,Carlisle and City

See if three sides would like to take part in a Stanley bowles cup and all the money would go to charity.

And then stake all the proceeds on the favourite in the big race the next day.

It's what he would have wanted :-)
In memory of Stan on 17:42 - Feb 26 with 1833 viewsJuzzie

He played 17 times for Man City, hardly legendary status. I doubt they'd provide any PL squad players either, who will probably be in Hong Kong, middle east or the US anyway on summer tour or on International duty if there's a tournament on.

Brentford would be far better as they were his 2nd highest appearances (still a long, long way off ours) as well as living on Braemar Road and still having links to both areas/clubs. Maybe have it as a Legends XI?

And both sets of clubs & fans (looking at you Mr Brentford-man-with-the-microphone) have got to keep any rivalry etc out of it. Let's respect Stan by not having a juvenile bitch-fest.

[Post edited 26 Feb 18:03]
Login to get fewer ads

In memory of Stan on 19:02 - Feb 26 with 1720 viewsdaveB

I think they tried to get Brentford for the testimonial game but was a non starter
In memory of Stan on 22:16 - Feb 26 with 1585 viewsTerry49

I think you are all missing the point. What I suggested was something long lasting, not a one off game that would be soon forgotten
In memory of Stan on 22:26 - Feb 26 with 1568 viewsLowerloftLad

In memory of Stan on 22:16 - Feb 26 by Terry49

I think you are all missing the point. What I suggested was something long lasting, not a one off game that would be soon forgotten

Firstly having a stand named after you is pretty decent in itself to be fair.

I think he could have a statue but it would probably be at the new training ground cant think of where it could possibly go in or around loftus road unfortunately.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

In memory of Stan on 22:28 - Feb 26 with 1560 viewsdaveB

There is going to be a clamour to do something else for Stan now, love the statue idea although not sure where it goes. Can we work with the council top rename South Africa Road to Stan Bowles Way, something like that

I would like to see something done to honour some of our other legends like Mark Lazarus, Gerry Francis, Rodney Marsh etc whilst they are still with us. I hope we don't get to a point where one of them passes away and then we do something
In memory of Stan on 22:31 - Feb 26 with 1553 viewsLowerloftLad

One other idea.

Google Leicester City champions mural, it was actually made by a QPR fan and that looked really good.

Maybe he could do one for Stanley at QPR.
[Post edited 26 Feb 22:34]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

In memory of Stan on 23:38 - Feb 26 with 1473 viewsPunteR

In memory of Stan on 22:31 - Feb 26 by LowerloftLad

One other idea.

Google Leicester City champions mural, it was actually made by a QPR fan and that looked really good.

Be good to paint that somewhere in Shepherds Bush.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

In memory of Stan on 23:51 - Feb 26 with 1450 viewsKerryE

In memory of Stan on 22:31 - Feb 26 by LowerloftLad

One other idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/04/mural-rich

It was 2016...but said “And maybe in the future I can do something QPR-related but they’ve to inspire me in the way Leicester have.”
What an opportunity for someone at the club to commission him.
In memory of Stan on 00:27 - Feb 27 with 1423 viewsnumptydumpty

I think what we should do is commemorate and remember the great man by winning a third round FA cup game in his honour

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

In memory of Stan on 01:48 - Feb 27 with 1384 viewsbob566

Got to be a statue. Sure some of the stands are commercially named already.
In memory of Stan on 02:41 - Feb 27 with 1363 viewsHoopsie

In memory of Stan on 23:51 - Feb 26 by KerryE

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/04/mural-rich

It was 2016...but said “And maybe in the future I can do something QPR-related but they’ve to inspire me in the way Leicester have.”

Like the idea, the mural can be done on the stadium facade along South Africa Road.

Loftus Road will be most suitable than the Heston training ground

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

In memory of Stan on 05:15 - Feb 27 with 1322 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In memory of Stan on 23:38 - Feb 26 by PunteR

Be good to paint that somewhere in Shepherds Bush.

I was down Chelsea way yesterday, and the lamposts have pictures hanging of Chelsea players from both the women and men's sides. Made me think, we should have something similar too!

Of course, the way things are going down there, it won't be that long before the natives will be hanging the players by their necks from the same lamposts.

In memory of Stan on 07:30 - Feb 27 with 1251 viewsdsw2509

I think SA Road should be renamed to Stan Bowles Way.
In memory of Stan on 07:31 - Feb 27 with 1249 viewsLadbrokeR

In memory of Stan on 07:30 - Feb 27 by dsw2509

I think SA Road should be renamed to Stan Bowles Way.

This or a statue
In memory of Stan on 08:44 - Feb 27 with 1148 viewsBluce_Ree

In memory of Stan on 22:28 - Feb 26 by daveB

There is going to be a clamour to do something else for Stan now, love the statue idea although not sure where it goes. Can we work with the council top rename South Africa Road to Stan Bowles Way, something like that

I would like to see something done to honour some of our other legends like Mark Lazarus, Gerry Francis, Rodney Marsh etc whilst they are still with us. I hope we don't get to a point where one of them passes away and then we do something

It's a bit keen.

Renaming a road is a massive faff, especially for anyone living there.

He's got the stand named after him. If that's not enough we need to chill out. And at least we did it when he was still alive.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

In memory of Stan on 08:50 - Feb 27 with 1137 viewsEsox_Lucius

In memory of Stan on 22:16 - Feb 26 by Terry49

The round robin tournament would benefit many people suffering from this cruel and brutal disease whereas a statue is merely a target for pigeons in the long term. Stan's nature was to be generous to people and even if it meant just one person had a better quality of life from the money, I would be certain that that would please Stan more.
[Post edited 27 Feb 10:05]

The grass is always greener.

In memory of Stan on 10:06 - Feb 27 with 1045 viewsCateLeBonR

Too young to have seen Stan play personally. As well as for his goals and skills he’s almost unique in that he’ll also be remembered for his corner taking. There was the famous one in Middlesborough i think where he checks for wind direction before scoring direct. The one I always liked was where he sits down on a chair before taking a corner, not sure who it was against. I think a fitting tribute would be a Stan Bowles chair in the corner in front of the of the loft and R block. Always one of us.
In memory of Stan on 10:50 - Feb 27 with 968 viewsslmrstid

In memory of Stan on 23:51 - Feb 26 by KerryE

Sadly that mural is all gone now. The company that owned the building sold it, it got redeveloped into flats and the mural was all ripped out in favour of the front doors and windows of the new flats.

Only a tiny bit of it left now, Andy King and Jamie Vardy's faces is all that remains I think. Its not far from my house, I'll have to go find it again soon to refresh my memory of who's left.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024