Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals Conceded 18:12 - Feb 26 with 2217 viewsAndybrat

Not that I am a stats nerd ( alright I am a banker) but considering we conceded 4 in our 1st game our total goals conceded of 45 shows how good our defence has become. Look up the table and the next team with less goals conceded is Bristol City and Ipswich in 3rd have the same and teams like Hull and Preston more. I know it means we aren’t scoring enough but shows we are now hard to beat. Cook and JCS are one of the classier double acts in this division. Not expecting many responses but wanted to highlight.
Goals Conceded on 19:03 - Feb 26 with 2041 viewsHooping_Mad

Yep, I think with a younger keeper we would have an even better record.

We have to maintain the momentum we have built up, 1 loss won't be the end of the world, 2 or 3 would have me worried.

We have the bull by the horns now, we just have to hold on for the ride.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Goals Conceded on 19:19 - Feb 26 with 1994 viewsbosh67

Perhaps I am in the minority but I think Begs has been pretty good in goal this season. A number of very good saves.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Goals Conceded on 19:33 - Feb 26 with 1942 viewsChrisNW6

Goals Conceded on 19:19 - Feb 26 by bosh67

Perhaps I am in the minority but I think Begs has been pretty good in goal this season. A number of very good saves.

Nope not in the minority, I think Begovic has been a positive and would like another season, if it means not having to play one of the other keepers at the club.

If he retires we will need to buy another keeper.
[Post edited 26 Feb 19:34]
Goals Conceded on 20:09 - Feb 26 with 1873 viewsAndybrat

Goals Conceded on 19:33 - Feb 26 by ChrisNW6

Nope not in the minority, I think Begovic has been a positive and would like another season, if it means not having to play one of the other keepers at the club.

If he retires we will need to buy another keeper.
[Post edited 26 Feb 19:34]

Agree, could do with less heart attack passes
Goals Conceded on 20:51 - Feb 26 with 1738 viewsturnsey

Hasn't done himself any favours with the Chelsea links. A few dodgy passes and errors here and there, but an experienced pro. He inspires more confidence in me than Dieng did towards the end of his time here.
Goals Conceded on 20:51 - Feb 26 with 1729 viewsBoston

I think he's performed reasonable well, wouldn't have a problem with him getting another season, though would be disappointed if the club aren't actively looking for his replacement. I don't believe anyone else at the club is up to the job.

[Post edited 26 Feb 20:54]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Goals Conceded on 21:41 - Feb 26 with 1616 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic has been a good signing IMO: kept us in a number of games and Ithink the defence trust him which is important.
The way some on here slag him off at every opportunity you’d think he was at Lumley levels.
[Post edited 26 Feb 22:28]
Goals Conceded on 22:26 - Feb 26 with 1526 viewsLazyFan

Goals Conceded on 21:41 - Feb 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Begovic has been a good signing IMO: kept us in a number of games and Ithink the defence trust him which is important.
The way some on here slag him off at every opportunity you’d think he was at Lumley levels.

When Gaz was in charge Beggers saved two certain goals against Boro.

He won that game for us as really we should have lost. I fear we may lose to Boro as they know they should have won that game.

His kicking is rubbish, his short passes are heart attacks, but his command of the box is good and he's decent at 1:1.

He is okay in my view, but we need better, you know how these oldies can die on you at any moment.

Despite Rotherham goalie gifting us two, I think most of the time he's quite good and we should buy him in the summer.

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

Goals Conceded on 22:32 - Feb 26 with 1501 viewsHastings_Hoops

Goals Conceded on 22:26 - Feb 26 by LazyFan

When Gaz was in charge Beggers saved two certain goals against Boro.

He won that game for us as really we should have lost. I fear we may lose to Boro as they know they should have won that game.

His kicking is rubbish, his short passes are heart attacks, but his command of the box is good and he's decent at 1:1.

He is okay in my view, but we need better, you know how these oldies can die on you at any moment.

Despite Rotherham goalie gifting us two, I think most of the time he's quite good and we should buy him in the summer.

The Rotherham goalie is precisely the type of player we should sign if we stay up… his kicking in the pre match warm up was exceptional.
Goals Conceded on 23:13 - Feb 26 with 1424 viewsnumptydumpty

Yes we have definitely stopped losing most home games three nil which last season was a very common scoreline

Marti has made a difference and it has been pointed out that most goals conceded under Cifuentes tenure have been conceded from set pieces.

Clarke Salter and Cook at full fitness is our best centre back pairing for a very long time.

I like Paal too although he has had the odd dodgy moment recently and am hopeful Cannon can get more consistency but we have our new Right Back Extraordinaire in Jimmy Dunne...

Fox I felt was reasonable at the start of the season and Larkeche is a decent back up left side although perhaps in a more advanced role suits him more.

And know Kakay is limited but like with Jimmy he does give it his best and as many have said as back up he is adequate.Likewise with Drewe.

Begovic is great one on one's and the old school goalkeeping abilities he is fine but as an accurate passing around at the back and distribution he is absolutely shocking and seems goalkeepers must possess this skill today.

Yes correct though we have improved noticeably
[Post edited 26 Feb 23:15]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Goals Conceded on 23:14 - Feb 26 with 1420 viewsHooping_Mad

I thought I was quite diplomatic, wasn't trying to slate him.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Goals Conceded on 23:28 - Feb 26 with 1373 viewsPunteR

Jake Clarke Salter and Cook have been a good CB pairing. Keep them both fit and we have a chance. JCS has really stepped up.
Begovic is ok, he's difficult to warm too and the Chelsea connection doesn't really help his already cardboard cut out personality but he's has pulled off some decent saves and is steady.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Goals Conceded on 00:44 - Feb 27 with 1291 viewsnumptydumpty

Lumley was fine except for every third game he decided to gift the opposition a goal.

The rest of the time he was great...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Goals Conceded on 04:45 - Feb 27 with 1173 viewsearthdweller

Thought Rob Green was good but also prone to the odd costly mistake for example at home against chelsea in 14/15
[Post edited 27 Feb 4:49]
Goals Conceded on 05:12 - Feb 27 with 1153 viewsQPROslo

I think Begovic is ok, safe hands, and has done his part in improving our defensive record so far this season. I don't think his distribution is as bad as many make out.
Goals Conceded on 06:45 - Feb 27 with 1084 viewsWestonsuperR

Seems to have become an easy target to criticize, but he has been at least pretty reasonable, proven with stats when you look at goals conceded when at times he has had an ever changing line-up in front of him.

I wonder what the figures look like for goals against from open play, surely we must be around top 5/6 which is remarkable considering season we have had.
Goals Conceded on 12:14 - Feb 27 with 869 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thing with Begovic is we don't know how much he's costing us, but the sense is that it's quite a lot. And we're skint.

So he may be decent, and God knows we needed a solid keeper after last year's horror show, and generally adds experience to the defence.

But for an ex-Premier keeper he's quite fallible and you can't make the excuse that he's learning and will get better. In the context of FFP I'd like to see us moving to a cheaper, younger, longer-term option.
Goals Conceded on 12:34 - Feb 27 with 824 viewsChrisNW6

Goals Conceded on 12:14 - Feb 27 by CiderwithRsie

Thing with Begovic is we don't know how much he's costing us, but the sense is that it's quite a lot. And we're skint.

So he may be decent, and God knows we needed a solid keeper after last year's horror show, and generally adds experience to the defence.

But for an ex-Premier keeper he's quite fallible and you can't make the excuse that he's learning and will get better. In the context of FFP I'd like to see us moving to a cheaper, younger, longer-term option.

Younger yes, but I would like us to ring fence a decent wage for a good established keeper. Such an important position and be great to get it sorted in the sumer.
Goals Conceded on 12:37 - Feb 27 with 810 viewsAntti_Heinola

Goals Conceded on 12:14 - Feb 27 by CiderwithRsie

I find it very hard to believe he is on anything like the figures being bandied about - it doesn't really make sense in the context of what we were doing last summer, and finding a half decent keeper at this level for a year isn't that hard. I think people need to look beyond it. It's a one year deal anyway.
Could be wrong though!

Bare bones.

Goals Conceded on 12:42 - Feb 27 with 801 viewsCiderwithRsie

Goals Conceded on 12:34 - Feb 27 by ChrisNW6

Younger yes, but I would like us to ring fence a decent wage for a good established keeper. Such an important position and be great to get it sorted in the sumer.

Me too.

I didn't mean a kid, I just mean someone who could be the basis for Cifuentes to build a defence around.

Part of my thinking is that I like Cifuentes and I want him to have a chance to build a side. It'll take time because there's no cash.
Goals Conceded on 12:49 - Feb 27 with 775 viewsCiderwithRsie

Goals Conceded on 12:37 - Feb 27 by Antti_Heinola

I find it very hard to believe he is on anything like the figures being bandied about - it doesn't really make sense in the context of what we were doing last summer, and finding a half decent keeper at this level for a year isn't that hard. I think people need to look beyond it. It's a one year deal anyway.
Could be wrong though!

Who knows? I'm just saying that I think Begovic is being judged by a reasonably high expectation and I'd say he's about at that, but no higher. When he makes obvious errors people are disappointed, given his experience, and I think that's fair too.

I'm content that he is doing a decent-ish job as the experienced pro we needed for one year, not unlike, say, Hugill did at the other end, and that's all I expect. Thanks and goodbye at the end of the season.
Goals Conceded on 13:44 - Feb 27 with 640 viewsTheChef

Amazed JCS has played so many games of late.

Famous last words, etc.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024