Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs 10:00 - Feb 27 with 3047 viewsdannyblue

"At QPR, I was vice captain, and when we started against after Covid, I got the armband because the captain was out of contract at the end of the year and didn’t want to take the risk of playing again"
“He was someone very positive, who had infinite knowledge about football. I learned a ton from him.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/role-i-appreciated-player-wearing-armband-qpr-reveals-
[Post edited 27 Feb 10:35]
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:08 - Feb 27 with 2976 viewslassel

It was already pretty well known that Hall refused to play post Covid as he had a deal lined up for the summer.
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:23 - Feb 27 with 2875 viewsjohnhoop

Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:08 - Feb 27 by lassel

It was already pretty well known that Hall refused to play post Covid as he had a deal lined up for the summer.

So presumably he refused to play but still expected to get paid?
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:26 - Feb 27 with 2843 viewsnix

Hall has started 47 matches since he’s left us at the end of the 19/20 season. He’s been very lucky to get contracts given his injury record.
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:27 - Feb 27 with 2835 viewsAntti_Heinola

yeah probably worth clarifying i think that Barbs is talking about Hall in the first bit and then Wallace in the second? I don't think Wallace ever refused to play.

Bare bones.

Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:35 - Feb 27 with 2768 viewsdannyblue

Yes probably right actually. Just looked and Hall stopped playing March 2020, apart from a one minute appearance last game of the season.
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:37 - Feb 27 with 2744 viewsPhilmyRs

I wonder when people think back to the Hall situation whether this makes them think any differently of Willock? Presumably he'll be taking the same course of action as Hall, only I've seen evidence, admittedly belatedly, of someone trying hard to get us out this mess and risking injury in the process. Or is it more than no contract has been agreed and he's ramping up his performance to try and secure a better club to what's currently on offer? Not sure, but either way it seems to be benefiting us.
Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:57 - Feb 27 with 2572 viewsLazyFan

Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 10:37 - Feb 27 by PhilmyRs

I wonder when people think back to the Hall situation whether this makes them think any differently of Willock? Presumably he'll be taking the same course of action as Hall, only I've seen evidence, admittedly belatedly, of someone trying hard to get us out this mess and risking injury in the process. Or is it more than no contract has been agreed and he's ramping up his performance to try and secure a better club to what's currently on offer? Not sure, but either way it seems to be benefiting us.

Willock can increase his market value if he is able to claim, "I got QPR out of trouble". Therefore, helping QPR get out of trouble gets him big bucks.

Possibly, he can do a Manning and transfer into a relegated Prem side with mucho money and the possibility of getting back into the Prem. If you cannot get a direct Prem move, this is the next best move.

Hall never had that opportunity so, didn't want to risk ending up like Angel. Different situations with different possibilities.

I am okay with Willock's approach and understand Halls. Now if we are talking Richards, that's once again a different story.

zzzzzzzzzz

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 11:07 - Feb 27 with 2502 viewsDavieQPR

Willock and his family think he is a far, far better player than he actually is. Believe he is in for a rude awakening and will only move sideways.
Login to get fewer ads

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 12:02 - Feb 27 with 2297 viewsCiderwithRsie

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 11:07 - Feb 27 by DavieQPR

Willock and his family think he is a far, far better player than he actually is. Believe he is in for a rude awakening and will only move sideways.

A sideways move from a QPR side that's spent most of the season in the relegation zone (and might yet end there) doesn't sound great.

But you might be right. I think he's a better player than you give credit for, but he's also got the most appalling injury record.

If he agreed a contract extension with us I'd be quite pleased, because we know that he links up well with Chair (assuming the latter's not in jail) but I'm less sure that I'd want to sign him if he was at another club and available, even on a free.
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 12:15 - Feb 27 with 2219 viewsJuzzie

If players don't want to risk getting injured then they shouldn't do any training or play any games (but still get paid?).......

Seems a bit of a ridiculous excuse to me, to not play because you don't want to get injured prior to contract expiring. You're contracted to play, you play if you're picked. End of.
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 12:44 - Feb 27 with 2094 viewsE15Hoop

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 12:15 - Feb 27 by Juzzie

If players don't want to risk getting injured then they shouldn't do any training or play any games (but still get paid?).......

Seems a bit of a ridiculous excuse to me, to not play because you don't want to get injured prior to contract expiring. You're contracted to play, you play if you're picked. End of.

The other interesting question to ask is if this was known to the management at the time, and how they responded to it, of if it was kept "hush-hush" between the players.
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 13:50 - Feb 27 with 1825 viewsStrawberryHillR

For Willock, maybe the lack of offers he was willing to accept in January has spurred him on to prove himself a bit. I wasn't at Ashton Gate, but to me Saturday was the first time in a very long time that he's been able to run without looking like he's sh1t himself. A fit and interested Willock will be invaluable over the next couple of months, regardless of what he does in the summer.
[Post edited 27 Feb 13:50]
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 14:03 - Feb 27 with 1747 viewsslmrstid

In fairness to Grant Hall, he was one of scores of players who didn't come back to playing after matches resumed in Covid lockdown. It was a completely unique situation that's unlikely to ever occur again, and I think the biggest cause was the season finishing in July after people's contracts had expired end June, and by the time games did resume a lot of them already had new agreements lined up. I'm sure there's some other reason I don't know of as to why those players didn't play in the June matches.

Very, very rare situation which is ultimately completely different to Willock now, who is just one of hundreds of players out of contract in a few months time and playing for a new one elsewhere as happens every year.
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 14:48 - Feb 27 with 1590 viewsBeejnewark

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 14:03 - Feb 27 by slmrstid

In fairness to Grant Hall, he was one of scores of players who didn't come back to playing after matches resumed in Covid lockdown. It was a completely unique situation that's unlikely to ever occur again, and I think the biggest cause was the season finishing in July after people's contracts had expired end June, and by the time games did resume a lot of them already had new agreements lined up. I'm sure there's some other reason I don't know of as to why those players didn't play in the June matches.

Very, very rare situation which is ultimately completely different to Willock now, who is just one of hundreds of players out of contract in a few months time and playing for a new one elsewhere as happens every year.

Compare and contrast with Angel Rangel
[Post edited 27 Feb 14:49]
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 15:13 - Feb 27 with 1533 viewsslmrstid

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 14:48 - Feb 27 by Beejnewark

Compare and contrast with Angel Rangel
[Post edited 27 Feb 14:49]

Yes but again they were both a bit different - Angel Rangel was at the end of his career (and ultimately, literally so after bollocksing his achilles up). Would he really have ended up with a contract anywhere else after that season, at his age? Ultimately a question we don't know the answer to but he was much older than Grant Hall.

I don't hold any grudge against Grant Hall for making a decision that benefitted him and not QPR in a completely weird time when the same was going on at clubs all over the top two divisions and no-one really knew what was still to come.
Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 15:30 - Feb 27 with 1500 viewsterryb

Grant Hall / Lee Wallace tidbit from Barbs on 14:03 - Feb 27 by slmrstid

It doesn't appear that many remember that Hall would have been out of contract when we restarted & would have had to sign a short term extension. I can't imagine that the club paid him a penny after he madfe his decision.

Personally, I don't/didn't like that he decided not to see out the season with us (or Loyal Taylor at Charlton etc), but I can't imagine that it had any effect on how we played in that period.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024