Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football Governance Bill 22:48 - Mar 18 with 5483 viewsQPRConor2000

This is very significant news, Legislation to establish the new independent regulator for English Football to begin its passage through Parliament tomorrow.

Would mean a licencing system for clubs from the Premier League down to the National League, strengtened owners and directors tests as well as the power to intervene to impose a settlement on the PL.

Worth keeping an eye on this over the coming weeks.

Football Governance Bill on 14:50 - Mar 19 with 1675 viewsSheffieldHoop

Football Governance Bill on 14:46 - Mar 19 by dmm

Okay then, after you...

Haha you wish, I'm not on here crying about sustainability, so I'll pass

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Football Governance Bill on 15:06 - Mar 19 with 1644 viewskensalriser

Football Governance Bill on 08:09 - Mar 19 by stevec

What’s shameful is that these incredibly powerful and wealthy clubs in the top league flatly refuse to come up with a fair solution for the rest of the leagues.

Can’t say I trust this government or any future government to get it right, but what an indictment of a nation that seems to need the state to hold its hand on virtually every function. No wonder this island has turned to shit.

There's your paradox.

First you're castigating people for not being good chaps. Then you're saying it's terrible that regulations and laws are needed to ensure people behave like good chaps.

Fact is there are always enough people in any situation, whatever the country because humans are humans, who will do whatever they can to get what they want and other people be damned. So you need laws. One of the reasons this country is currently so shit is because the laws and regulations don't seem to apply to the people who make the laws and the people who control the people who make the laws.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Football Governance Bill on 15:45 - Mar 19 with 1600 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Football Governance Bill on 13:13 - Mar 19 by DavieQPR

Part of the trouble is the Government will appoint one of their cronies. More than likely middle aged female, from a small town, who knows absolutely nothing about football but once played hockey for East Lancing schoolgirls.

I'm sold!

When can she start?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Football Governance Bill on 16:47 - Mar 19 with 1541 viewssaxbend

The Premier league clubs, at least the dozen or so that don't really ever participate in relegation battles, seem to think they exist in a vacuum. They do not. They would not exist without the tiers of professional and amateur clubs propping them up. They don't make all the money because they're amazing. They do it because TV has taken the top of a very large and long-established pyramid and made it extremely profitable, and has done so with little regard for the many clubs not hyped up and marketed to death to tv audiences all over the world, enabling wagebills that would be unsustainable in most other countries' top flights, including those with long proud footballing histories of their own.

So here is a very rare instance where I agree with the government, or at least with the unsubstantiated lipservice they've come up with on this occasion. The premier league clubs can take some responsibility and pay for a disinterested regulator to clean this mess up. We also need a complete revision to profit and sustainability rules. Their main effect is that clubs already making the most money through uefa competitions and global branding from increased tv marketing (not to mention larger tv revenue) are allowed to spend that money for continually increasing advantage while other clubs, even when well-run by well-intentioned wealthy owners are not allowed to spend to compete. As I have said not that long ago in another thread, those in charge have had far too long to do something about it, to be able to legitimately claim it is not what they intended.

I am all for someone else to come in and attempt to redefine those rules to protect clubs from mismanagement while also evening out the differences between spending of clubs, firstly within each division, but ultimately across all tiers, so that no-one else becomes at risk and everyone has a reasonable chance of success. Giving all of the other clubs more money isn't an option, so that leaves limiting all clubs to spending levels that are realistic for clubs with the smallest budgets.

Problem is, that as already pointed out, no-one in the current government or any that might succeed it, is either willing or able to do anything that the clubs themselves wouldn't. A disinterested party they are not.
[Post edited 20 Mar 9:48]
Football Governance Bill on 17:56 - Mar 19 with 1425 viewsE17hoop

Football Governance Bill on 09:41 - Mar 19 by TheChef

Indeed.

Football virtue signalling.

It's legislative theatre. The government does something ineffectual to demonstrate that something 'must be done' and they're the ones to be doing it. However, it's theatre insofar it's not based in reality, is all noise and no substance and completely performative.

They can point at it, show it off and explain how it's there to make a difference while it makes no difference. The same happens in business all the time with innovation units and performance teams.

The government can't - as mentioned - intervene, but make a noise about intervening they assume people who don't know how this shít works will just lap it up.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Football Governance Bill on 07:19 - Mar 20 with 1269 viewsdmm

In reading this brief overview of the bill: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/19/english-football-independent-re I wondered how the IFR would view QPR's finances.

It says that from 2025 "...the IFR could begin the process of awarding initial three-year provisional licences that would mean clubs had seen their finances assessed and agreed a plan to make their business sustainable (in some cases, clubs will already be sustainable, in many others they will not)"

Staying within FFP rules would presumably be a key measurement but surely not the only one. It's not beyond imagining our need to have our owners pump in £2m a month to keep the club solvent meant the IFR would require some sort of remedial action.
Football Governance Bill on 08:22 - Mar 20 with 1215 viewshantssi

Sullivan again, “parachute payments are not big enough”, then likens it to Tesco giving “smaller” supermarkets a subsidy!
I hated them before especially with their “free” stadium but now, wow, what more does this guy want?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68610772
Football Governance Bill on 08:28 - Mar 20 with 1204 viewsEastR

I read somewhere yesterday that the Gambling Commission was set up nearly 20 years ago to regulate and that sector.
It's hard to argue that gambling hasn't become a much bigger issue than in ever was.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Football Governance Bill on 08:34 - Mar 20 with 1197 viewsNorthernr

Football Governance Bill on 08:28 - Mar 20 by EastR

I read somewhere yesterday that the Gambling Commission was set up nearly 20 years ago to regulate and that sector.
It's hard to argue that gambling hasn't become a much bigger issue than in ever was.

See also Ofwat, Ofgem, Ofcom etc.

Sadly I think I'm with E17 above, a great idea in principal but in execution it'll be a toothless bit of nothing seen to be there but not there to be seen.

When it's actually needed, like with what's going on at Reading now, it'll do nothing, just like Ofwat is doing nothing about the disgusting pollution of our rivers and streams, just like Ofgem did nothing to stop people being hit with punitive bills while British Gas etc registered record profits, just like Ofcom does nothing about GBNews...
Football Governance Bill on 10:36 - Mar 20 with 1100 viewsdaveB

Football Governance Bill on 08:34 - Mar 20 by Northernr

Sadly I think I'm with E17 above, a great idea in principal but in execution it'll be a toothless bit of nothing seen to be there but not there to be seen.

When it's actually needed, like with what's going on at Reading now, it'll do nothing, just like Ofwat is doing nothing about the disgusting pollution of our rivers and streams, just like Ofgem did nothing to stop people being hit with punitive bills while British Gas etc registered record profits, just like Ofcom does nothing about GBNews...

It's all about how much power is given to regulators. For Ofcom they can ultimately take a channels license away but as you are seeing with GB News even when you in breach of their rules the punishment handed out is a telling off rather than anything else

I think the regulator will make some positive changes but it's not going to be the massive change people want it to be
Football Governance Bill on 10:46 - Mar 20 with 1070 viewsRangersDave

Football Governance Bill on 09:10 - Mar 19 by Northernr

Hmmm, starting to sound a bit like Ofcom i.e. if you break the rules you can expect a very strongly worded letter and little else.

except that QPR will get the blame for whatever and be paying fines from now till christendom!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Football Governance Bill on 14:39 - Mar 21 with 848 viewsSheffieldHoop

Ofcom is constantly taking action against GB News. What do you expect them to do? March in there and take it over like some communist revolutionary?

Ofcom's 'Broadcasting Code' prevents the truth from being told on television without some "client journalist" type also being there to repeat the "There's no evidence this is happening, and if there is, it is a good thing" mantra. Ofcom would have stripped GB news of their licence months ago if they weren't utterly shitting their pants over the potential public reaction to their bullshit guidelines.

Football Governance Bill on 15:13 - Mar 21 with 803 viewsdaveB

Football Governance Bill on 14:39 - Mar 21 by SheffieldHoop

Ofcom is constantly taking action against GB News. What do you expect them to do? March in there and take it over like some communist revolutionary?

Ofcom's 'Broadcasting Code' prevents the truth from being told on television without some "client journalist" type also being there to repeat the "There's no evidence this is happening, and if there is, it is a good thing" mantra. Ofcom would have stripped GB news of their licence months ago if they weren't utterly shitting their pants over the potential public reaction to their bullshit guidelines.

The action is due to them having currently sitting MP's hosting news and topical programme which is against their rules. Is the same for all other broadcasters as well, fine when for them to come on and talk as an MP with their point of view but they can't present the show and be the face of it.
Football Governance Bill on 15:19 - Mar 21 with 768 viewsSheffieldHoop

Football Governance Bill on 15:13 - Mar 21 by daveB

The action is due to them having currently sitting MP's hosting news and topical programme which is against their rules. Is the same for all other broadcasters as well, fine when for them to come on and talk as an MP with their point of view but they can't present the show and be the face of it.

There have been other actions for other things, you know that

LBC has also had "currently sitting MPs" presenting shows for a long time......Ofcom only arsed when GB News does it

And It's funny that Ofcom's objection isn't that GB News is reporting fake news - It's that they don't give the fake news the "due impartiality" it apparently deserves.
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:21]

Football Governance Bill on 15:20 - Mar 21 with 775 viewsCamberleyR

Football Governance Bill on 09:18 - Mar 19 by stevec

Just seen some Tory MP discussing this, Lucy Fraser, talking in riddles, sounding totally out of her depth, where do they find these people?

Only thing I gleaned from her interview is the Premier League is in safe hands and the rest of us are fcked.

That's HMG's Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport if you please!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Football Governance Bill on 15:30 - Mar 21 with 747 viewskensalriser

Football Governance Bill on 10:36 - Mar 20 by daveB

It's all about how much power is given to regulators. For Ofcom they can ultimately take a channels license away but as you are seeing with GB News even when you in breach of their rules the punishment handed out is a telling off rather than anything else

I think the regulator will make some positive changes but it's not going to be the massive change people want it to be

The regulators are toothless because the government wants them to be, because the government has been captured by vested interests (ie the racist bloke trousering hundreds of millions in contracts from the NHS gives multi-million bungs to the government's party). It (sometimes) pays lip service to doing the right thing but will usually do the opposite.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Football Governance Bill on 15:39 - Mar 21 with 727 viewsdaveB

Football Governance Bill on 15:19 - Mar 21 by SheffieldHoop

There have been other actions for other things, you know that

LBC has also had "currently sitting MPs" presenting shows for a long time......Ofcom only arsed when GB News does it

And It's funny that Ofcom's objection isn't that GB News is reporting fake news - It's that they don't give the fake news the "due impartiality" it apparently deserves.
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:21]

it's the same guidelines and rules as every other tv channel, not as if they have made it up just for GB news. If Kier Starmer presented News at 10 tonight then ITV would be in trouble as well.

Depends what shows MP's are presenting on LBC, if it's the news would be a problem, if it's more a phone in show thats fine
Football Governance Bill on 15:45 - Mar 21 with 710 viewsSheffieldHoop

Football Governance Bill on 15:39 - Mar 21 by daveB

it's the same guidelines and rules as every other tv channel, not as if they have made it up just for GB news. If Kier Starmer presented News at 10 tonight then ITV would be in trouble as well.

Depends what shows MP's are presenting on LBC, if it's the news would be a problem, if it's more a phone in show thats fine

Yep, and this is why no one bothers with regulated media anymore. We know they're lying because they're compelled to lie by Ofcom/Government regulation.

And it will be the same in football. Just a load more people with over-inflated egos and job titles running around serving the interests of whoever is keeping them in a job.
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:51]

Football Governance Bill on 16:00 - Mar 21 with 680 viewsdaveB

Football Governance Bill on 15:45 - Mar 21 by SheffieldHoop

Yep, and this is why no one bothers with regulated media anymore. We know they're lying because they're compelled to lie by Ofcom/Government regulation.

And it will be the same in football. Just a load more people with over-inflated egos and job titles running around serving the interests of whoever is keeping them in a job.
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:51]

That's one way to look at it I suppose.
what media isn't regulated then?
Football Governance Bill on 16:18 - Mar 21 with 664 viewsderbyhoop

Amen.
Ofcom, Ofwat & Ofgem have got no real power. And the Football Regulator will be the same.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Football Governance Bill on 16:40 - Mar 21 with 634 viewsSheffieldHoop

Football Governance Bill on 16:00 - Mar 21 by daveB

That's one way to look at it I suppose.
what media isn't regulated then?

Well exactly......Once upon a time, it was YouTube, but the community guidelines/censorship (As usual, applied differently depending on your point of view) are becoming so biased that they might as well outsource their "Trust and safety" team to OfCom itself.

Twitter is doing quite a good job of deregulating the media atm. The algorithm being made open source + the twitter files explaining how Governments and Twitter collaborated to manipulate the news, I think revealed something many of us had suspected for a long time. The fact this major story that has no doubt had a massive impact on events globally for 10+ years was hardly mentioned by any of the legacy media speaks volumes.

Finally things like Patreon - Where you can directly support proper journalists bringing you trustworthy news, as Clive does for this website.

Football Governance Bill on 17:48 - Mar 21 with 579 viewsdmm

A genuine question, Sheffield. Would you describe yourself as a libertarian? I'm just curious, and not wanting to have a political debate.
Football Governance Bill on 18:07 - Mar 21 with 557 viewsdaveB

Football Governance Bill on 16:40 - Mar 21 by SheffieldHoop

Well exactly......Once upon a time, it was YouTube, but the community guidelines/censorship (As usual, applied differently depending on your point of view) are becoming so biased that they might as well outsource their "Trust and safety" team to OfCom itself.

Twitter is doing quite a good job of deregulating the media atm. The algorithm being made open source + the twitter files explaining how Governments and Twitter collaborated to manipulate the news, I think revealed something many of us had suspected for a long time. The fact this major story that has no doubt had a massive impact on events globally for 10+ years was hardly mentioned by any of the legacy media speaks volumes.

Finally things like Patreon - Where you can directly support proper journalists bringing you trustworthy news, as Clive does for this website.

Twitter is just a mad place, full of people saying whatever they like and passing it off as fact, quite dangerous really and seems to send people down rabbit holes and affect their mental health but far too late to do anything about it now
Football Governance Bill on 18:37 - Mar 21 with 518 viewsPaddyhoops

Leicester facing sanctions for breaches of FFP. This is for their final three years in the premier leauge. EFL sanctions likely as well.
Are they going to wait for another 3 Man City league titles before they get hit?
Football Governance Bill on 18:59 - Mar 21 with 492 viewsLanhoop

Football Governance Bill on 18:37 - Mar 21 by Paddyhoops

Leicester facing sanctions for breaches of FFP. This is for their final three years in the premier leauge. EFL sanctions likely as well.
Are they going to wait for another 3 Man City league titles before they get hit?

Interesting statement from them...

The Club is extremely disappointed that the Premier League has chosen to charge LCFC now, despite the Club’s efforts to engage constructively with the Premier League in relation to the matters that are the subject of this charge, even though LCFC is not currently a Premier League club.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/3938901/lcfc-statement--21-march-2024

Seem to be arguing the same thing we did back in the day. Didn't work did it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024