Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers 17:23 - Mar 29 with 18700 viewsDylanP

Great performance today, for a really important win. But it is no surprise that our two goals came from defenders. I cannot remember a single shot from Frey or Armstrong and while both were influential, ultimately they are there to score goals. Both Willock and Chair had really good opportunities that they slashed at and skied it miles over the bar from close range. Again both had their moments, but in the end, balls in the back of the net speak loudest. We often talk about the elusive 20-goals-a-season striker but we aren't even close to having a 10-goals-a-season striker. Our top goalscorer this season is Chair with 5. That is pathetic.

This is the team that is going to keep us up and Marti is the man, but in the off-season job number 1 has to be to get a striker who can score goals.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:37 - Apr 3 with 2528 viewsgazza1

Dykes is not good enough if we want to progress.....end of.
Frey has only played a few times so we need to give him some time but my first thoughts are that he is limited.
Armstrong is young but he lacks many skills but may be able to improve because of his age.

So the bottom line is that we have generally been playing without a striker of any worth this season whatever many think. I believe that Dykes will be gone if we can get a buyer, if Frey is cheap enough then he may stay and as for Armstrong I think he will remain here because there is hope.

MC will sign a decent(ish) striker (he hasn't got to be that good to better what we have) as a priority in the summer.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:41 - Apr 3 with 2495 viewsgazza1

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:04 - Apr 3 by Esox_Lucius

You've never seen him play have you?

Look at Frey 'tearing' about when we do not have the ball, then look at LD when he is shutting players down or pressuring - there is basically no comparison.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:51 - Apr 3 with 2464 viewsNorthernr

Cifuentes has done remarkably to turn it around with what he inherited. I do think there's a good deal of him making do with what he's got, because what other choice does he have? Given half a chance this summer I suspect you'll see major change (again).
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:59 - Apr 3 with 2424 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We all know where we are by now. Dykes will never have the natural centre forward's instinct but he's always put a shift in for us. Sinclair should have been on loan but has definitely improved over the last few months and I hope we don't send him out next season. Frey is, erm, interesting. Great goal against Norwich though - I see him scoring against Wednesday. 100% confident in the new regime sorting the situation out in the summer.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 10:04 - Apr 3 with 2405 viewsgazza1

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:51 - Apr 3 by Northernr

Cifuentes has done remarkably to turn it around with what he inherited. I do think there's a good deal of him making do with what he's got, because what other choice does he have? Given half a chance this summer I suspect you'll see major change (again).

Agreed, MC has been brilliant Norf, 'proper' decent Manager with many ideas and plans - sometimes we (me anyways) wonder wtf but 99% of the time he makes good decisions and he is instilling that in the squad - make good decisions and we can move forward. He comes across as a very decent individual as well.

If he is given money then we will be able to progress further but tbh I have always thought that we had some very good players here and never thought that we would get relegated - bit to go yet but we are nearly there.
[Post edited 3 Apr 10:05]
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:28 - Apr 3 with 2237 viewsParkRoyalR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:41 - Apr 3 by gazza1

Look at Frey 'tearing' about when we do not have the ball, then look at LD when he is shutting players down or pressuring - there is basically no comparison.

Sorry Gazza, I have genuinely only seen Frey tearing about in 1 game, the 1 he missed the penalty,

Not sure if he blew his tank that night and must admit I was surprised he was left on so long in that game, but has'nt 'tore' anywhere since, which maybe down to Managers instructions mind,

Cast you mind back to Good Friday, I think he made 1 contribution in open play for the hour odd he was on the pitch, hence scoring a a very generous 5 in Match Report.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:26 - Apr 3 with 2163 viewsQPROslo

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:58 - Apr 3 by GaryBannister86

Well, to be fair, I have pointed out that (finally) he played an important role in our win on Monday. I am gracious enough to do that unlike the Dykes haters who even criticise him for not appearing on the goal celebration videos on Friday. Maybe he was "on his heels" which apparently he always is.

Give me a Dykes over a Begovic any time, I've not seen him do anything other than try his best and during that abysmal season last year he was there standing up to be counted even after a major illness. Of course he isn't brilliant, that is obvious, but I think he brings more to the table than he is given credit for. I see the early Frey praise for "running around more than Dykes" has already dissipated.

I don't need to reiterate why Begovic just-passing-through should get the same support.

To me, those who adore Begovic, or maybe even are Begovic (hello QPROslo, looking forward to your downvote) have an Ainsworth mentality. That we are just little old QPR and should be so grateful for an ex-Premier star to turn up and even as Captain he can do what he likes off the field because we are so lucky to have him.

Now, after finally winning us a game, we are meant to roll out the red carpet again. The bloke didn't make a save for months, nearly cost us 3 vital points at Leicester, but hey remember he was on the bench in the Champions League once.

Balls - can't wait for Walsh or Salomon next year.

Sorry Gary, no downvote as I agree with you on Dykes. I had upvoted your earlier posts on him ffs. I'm not Begovic, could be his Grandad but I'm not! Nor do I adore him. But I do think he's been perfectly ok overall for us so far this season. Let's hope that and especially his Swans form continues.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 15:59 - Apr 3 with 2050 viewsgazza1

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:28 - Apr 3 by ParkRoyalR

Sorry Gazza, I have genuinely only seen Frey tearing about in 1 game, the 1 he missed the penalty,

Not sure if he blew his tank that night and must admit I was surprised he was left on so long in that game, but has'nt 'tore' anywhere since, which maybe down to Managers instructions mind,

Cast you mind back to Good Friday, I think he made 1 contribution in open play for the hour odd he was on the pitch, hence scoring a a very generous 5 in Match Report.

From what I have seen, I think Frey shuts down defenders much faster than LD who ambles around without too often getting into a sprint.

Why did MC replace LD when we were under pressure after H/T?? My view he did it because Frey defends up front much better.

As for Friday, Frey was average but he replaced Frey with Armstrong when we needed to score!!
[Post edited 3 Apr 16:00]
Login to get fewer ads

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 16:16 - Apr 3 with 2014 viewsGaryBannister86

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:26 - Apr 3 by QPROslo

Sorry Gary, no downvote as I agree with you on Dykes. I had upvoted your earlier posts on him ffs. I'm not Begovic, could be his Grandad but I'm not! Nor do I adore him. But I do think he's been perfectly ok overall for us so far this season. Let's hope that and especially his Swans form continues.

Ha! OK I am 100% with you there. Begovic can certainly keep that form going the next few games until we are safe. Then let's play Walsh to bed him in.

Regards,

Lyndon
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:55 - Apr 3 with 1914 viewsParkRoyalR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 15:59 - Apr 3 by gazza1

From what I have seen, I think Frey shuts down defenders much faster than LD who ambles around without too often getting into a sprint.

Why did MC replace LD when we were under pressure after H/T?? My view he did it because Frey defends up front much better.

As for Friday, Frey was average but he replaced Frey with Armstrong when we needed to score!!

Frey was average on Friday?

Come on, be honest, I think he was involved in play once, ducked out of a header + a tackle, and just couldn't get into the game,

If thats an average level of performance we're dropping the bar very low.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:07 - Apr 3 with 1879 viewsPunteR

Ive changed my mind.
I think Armstrong should stay here and not go on loan next season.

With Cifuentes coaching and management he could make the improvements needed right here.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:24 - Apr 3 with 1835 viewsQPunkR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:07 - Apr 3 by PunteR

Ive changed my mind.
I think Armstrong should stay here and not go on loan next season.

With Cifuentes coaching and management he could make the improvements needed right here.

Seen the light!

QPR - "shit but local"

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:19 - Apr 3 with 1693 viewsstainrods_elbow

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 15:59 - Apr 3 by gazza1

But, er, Armstrong didn't score, so what's your point? We won the game through - ye gods - a well-rehearsed set piece, and a great finish from our linchpin central defender.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:23 - Apr 3 with 1711 viewsPunteR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:24 - Apr 3 by QPunkR

Seen the light!

Just gave it more thought this evening while eating my pie, peas and chips. Clearly there's room for improvement, everyone can see that ( SA, not my dinner). Just thinking who would we send him too and with what manager.?
If Marti C stays then it's probably his best chance of being coached well and having decent players around him, raising his game hopefully.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:14 - Apr 4 with 1507 viewsgazza1

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:19 - Apr 3 by stainrods_elbow

But, er, Armstrong didn't score, so what's your point? We won the game through - ye gods - a well-rehearsed set piece, and a great finish from our linchpin central defender.

My point is that we needed to score and because LD was playing average he thought that he would take a striker off(LD) and replace him with a young lad up front..... why - because he thought LD wasnt going to score or help the team to score. Furthermore Frey defends better than LD from the front.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:43 - Apr 4 with 1476 viewsdmm

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:47 - Apr 3 by hubble

Errmm, yes they have: Ilias has scored 5.

Dykes has only scored 4 goals this season (so far), the same number as Paal and Willock.

I think you're looking at league goals only, Hud. Dykes has scored 4 league goals and 1 FA cup goal, scored against B'muff.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:42 - Apr 4 with 1361 viewsParkRoyalR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:14 - Apr 4 by gazza1

My point is that we needed to score and because LD was playing average he thought that he would take a striker off(LD) and replace him with a young lad up front..... why - because he thought LD wasnt going to score or help the team to score. Furthermore Frey defends better than LD from the front.

Gazza, I get we see most things differently with our team but reason I prefer Dykes to stay on (unless we are chasing the game and a need a goal) is b'cos I think he defends from the front better than the others, holds the ball up better and has proven very useful when we're defending corners & set-pieces.

Armstrong for me is a little like Macauley Bonne in that when he comes on it's immediately noticeable our aerial out-balls are coming back with interest on and we are then back under pressure.

This is why I prefer Dykes to stay on as prefer that more rigid team structure and with the goal threat coming from our 10's who can always nick a goal.

If chasing a goal prefer to go straight to 3-5-2 as we're still not getting enough players in the box with our 4-2-3-1 formation (think Birmingham over-loaded our box with 5 players for their goal) and with Field + Hadeyn, we're not doing this enough (trade-off for starting Hadeyn over Colback),

The positive with current defensive set-up is we are conceding very few chances and most importantly now picking up points when a few weeks ago we were maybe a bit too open.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:52 - Apr 4 with 1346 viewsdaveB

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:42 - Apr 4 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza, I get we see most things differently with our team but reason I prefer Dykes to stay on (unless we are chasing the game and a need a goal) is b'cos I think he defends from the front better than the others, holds the ball up better and has proven very useful when we're defending corners & set-pieces.

Armstrong for me is a little like Macauley Bonne in that when he comes on it's immediately noticeable our aerial out-balls are coming back with interest on and we are then back under pressure.

This is why I prefer Dykes to stay on as prefer that more rigid team structure and with the goal threat coming from our 10's who can always nick a goal.

If chasing a goal prefer to go straight to 3-5-2 as we're still not getting enough players in the box with our 4-2-3-1 formation (think Birmingham over-loaded our box with 5 players for their goal) and with Field + Hadeyn, we're not doing this enough (trade-off for starting Hadeyn over Colback),

The positive with current defensive set-up is we are conceding very few chances and most importantly now picking up points when a few weeks ago we were maybe a bit too open.

I don't think Dykes offers that much defensively either, he was better on Monday but doesn't really hold the ball up and as our centre forward you need to at least look like you might score a goal.

None of our forwards are particularly any good though
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:08 - Apr 4 with 1318 viewsDieByYourSide

Armstrong's all round play compared to this time last year is night and day.

Poll: And it's hi ho

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:34 - Apr 4 with 1250 viewsTheChef

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:52 - Apr 4 by daveB

I don't think Dykes offers that much defensively either, he was better on Monday but doesn't really hold the ball up and as our centre forward you need to at least look like you might score a goal.

Doesn't hold the ball up and barely wins anything in the air.

But God loves a trier!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:09 - Apr 4 with 1217 viewsCateLeBonR

I’d agree with that except that he is actually quite good at defending in and around our own box. Rarely does a game go by where he doesn’t make a clearance from a corner or when we’re under the cosh. He’s arguably at his best when we’re under pressure but is probably a large part of the reason why we’re defending so deep, because he’s unable to pose much of a threat higher up. It’s been less noticeable recently because the defense are actually doing a very good job of it themselves.

Best game I remember from him was v Coventry at LR early in 21/22 season where he scored a good goal and looked like a striker. Rarely have we seen anything like that from him since.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:15 - Apr 4 with 1178 viewsParkRoyalR

After that glut of conceding goals from corners & set-pieces, Dykes was 1 of the 3 tasked with defending the 6 yard line for corners etc and did very well, made a number of key defensive headers, one particularly late in a home game, which fixed that achilles we had for too many games.

Think it was around this time one of the players (maybe Smyth) said he was the best headerer at the club and I think it was Brian who posted after a 'he never wins any headers' posters comment after Bristol game to show he'd won the most on the pitch.

Agree he has'nt looked liked scoring since playing well at Leicester & Bristol City and thats probably over 500 minutes of football now which is not what we need when only playing 1 up top.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:00 - Apr 4 with 1020 viewsBurnleyhoop

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:09 - Apr 4 by CateLeBonR

I’d agree with that except that he is actually quite good at defending in and around our own box. Rarely does a game go by where he doesn’t make a clearance from a corner or when we’re under the cosh. He’s arguably at his best when we’re under pressure but is probably a large part of the reason why we’re defending so deep, because he’s unable to pose much of a threat higher up. It’s been less noticeable recently because the defense are actually doing a very good job of it themselves.

Best game I remember from him was v Coventry at LR early in 21/22 season where he scored a good goal and looked like a striker. Rarely have we seen anything like that from him since.

Poor do when your striker is at his most effective defending corners!

There really is no argument, Dykes is tosh and needs replacing.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:24 - Apr 5 with 851 viewsTheChef

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:00 - Apr 4 by Burnleyhoop

Poor do when your striker is at his most effective defending corners!

There really is no argument, Dykes is tosh and needs replacing.

Exactly, he's a striker! His main job is to score goals!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:35 - Apr 5 with 708 viewsQPunkR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:24 - Apr 5 by TheChef

Exactly, he's a striker! His main job is to score goals!

We could just swap him and Cook?

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024