Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Camping 12:28 - May 20 with 1777 viewsTheChef

Our annual bank holiday weekend camping trip is coming up and once again I find myself psyching myself up to put myself through it!

To be honest once we're there and everything is set up it's usually quite nice as long as the weather is dry. It's just the preparation/packing the car/getting the tent up and down which I find a total ballache.

Any tips or tricks suggested to make it bearable/enjoyable? Other than not going...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Camping on 12:31 - May 20 with 1763 viewssupahoopsa

One tip for the prep - my wife has an excel spreadsheet with everything needed for camping. This gets printed off two weeks before we go and I get a copy to ensure that I don't forget anything.

Invest in a quality tent that is simple to erect, might cost a bit, but you soon appreciate it's worth

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Camping on 13:01 - May 20 with 1669 viewshantssi

Camping on 12:31 - May 20 by supahoopsa

One tip for the prep - my wife has an excel spreadsheet with everything needed for camping. This gets printed off two weeks before we go and I get a copy to ensure that I don't forget anything.

Invest in a quality tent that is simple to erect, might cost a bit, but you soon appreciate it's worth

Stay in a hotel!!
Loved it as a youngster, not camped for about 40 years now except those Eurocamp type places!
Camping on 13:43 - May 20 with 1576 viewsToast_R

There's a reason why houses are popular...
Camping on 13:44 - May 20 with 1575 viewsCateLeBonR

Bring decent seating.
Camping on 14:06 - May 20 with 1512 viewsR_from_afar

Unless you are really desperate to do it, I wouldn't bother taking kit to enable you to cook.

I went on two long cycle camping holidays many years ago and on the first, we took all the cooking gear, though not jars of pasta sauce, a chopping board and a meat tenderising mallet, unlike some Dutch cyclists we encountered. You end up needing lots of stuff - tea towels, sponges, plates etc - and often, the meals you put together aren't great. This is just my view but we really felt all the extra kit, the additional time and additional processes simply weren't worth it.

The second time, without all that clobber, we got on just fine. We ate out a few times and even when we ate in, we were able to put together reasonable meals without resorting to cooking.

Three other tips (which you have probably already borne in mind) for if you are taking your own tent
- Don't forget the instructions for erecting the tent. I'm probably going over the top here but a mate and I had real problems putting up a second hand frame tent we had borrowed from a mutual friend. When we eventually finished the task, the bloke at the neighbouring pitch, who had been reclining with a beer while he watched our travails, gave us a sarcastic round of applause

- Don't forget something to knock the pegs in with. On the cycling trips, we were so focused on saving weight that we hammered the pegs in using rocks or stones we found lying around, but that's clearly not ideal!

- Don't forget a torch. Petzl make a container for their amazing head torches, so you can use them like a lantern and hang them wherever you need light.

Enjoy your trip!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Camping on 14:09 - May 20 with 1484 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not a single Kenneth Williams gif or snigger about erections.

Disappointing.
Camping on 15:39 - May 20 with 1349 viewsessextaxiboy

Micky Flanagan ...."live like refugees for a week "
Camping on 16:01 - May 20 with 1295 viewsloftboy

Camping on 15:39 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

Micky Flanagan ...."live like refugees for a week "

Hotel then!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Camping on 21:16 - May 20 with 1123 viewsted_hendrix

I've camped In Western Germany, Libya, Norway, Northern Ireland, Salisbury Plain and the bloody Brecon Beacons.
Small tents-big tents-smelly tents, we spent Six weeks In the Libyan desert 80 odd miles South of Tripoli, drinking and washing water was severely rationed and by week Four even the Libyan flies had left the camp due to us being stinky.
The Army called In the Engineers who erected a massive tent complete with Internal pipe work, water bowsers were brought In from the North and connected up, we were each Issued a small bar of carbolic soap told to strip and when the whistle went, In we went and out the other end, the problem though was the water would only come down In certain areas so consequently you had Sixty odd squaddies running naked covered In carbolic soap lather trying to get rinsed off but slipping and sliding and going a rse over tit all over the place, that Image still sometimes haunts me.

A couple of weeks later Gaddafi had ceased power and Instructed us to leave with safe passage. Thank f uck for the RAF.

My camping tip would be avoid camping at all cost as I have done ever since leaving the Army.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Camping on 21:26 - May 20 with 1093 viewsBoston

I had great times camping when the kids were little. Big adventures in the wilderness, scared the shite out of 'em hearing all the night wildlife! To be truthful, I'm a little surprised none of the little buggers weren't seriously injured as I wasn't the most responsible parent.
Hated putting the tent up though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Camping on 15:58 - May 21 with 807 viewststarhoop

Camping on 21:26 - May 20 by Boston

I had great times camping when the kids were little. Big adventures in the wilderness, scared the shite out of 'em hearing all the night wildlife! To be truthful, I'm a little surprised none of the little buggers weren't seriously injured as I wasn't the most responsible parent.
Hated putting the tent up though.

I would strongly recommend getting an inflatable tent, one with air beams or the like - I've done a load of camping as a kid, scouts, mates, families etc and this has been a revelation. Most stress/arguments happen when putting up tent - with one you inflate it takes minutes and you can crack on with the fun stuff.

Also, make sure you have a decent sleeping set up, something comfy to sit in, and some warm stuff for the evening session :-)
Camping on 16:58 - May 21 with 735 viewsBoston

Camping on 15:58 - May 21 by tstarhoop

I would strongly recommend getting an inflatable tent, one with air beams or the like - I've done a load of camping as a kid, scouts, mates, families etc and this has been a revelation. Most stress/arguments happen when putting up tent - with one you inflate it takes minutes and you can crack on with the fun stuff.

Also, make sure you have a decent sleeping set up, something comfy to sit in, and some warm stuff for the evening session :-)

...like a blow up friend?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Camping on 18:51 - May 21 with 668 viewskensalriser

Camping on 21:16 - May 20 by ted_hendrix

I've camped In Western Germany, Libya, Norway, Northern Ireland, Salisbury Plain and the bloody Brecon Beacons.
Small tents-big tents-smelly tents, we spent Six weeks In the Libyan desert 80 odd miles South of Tripoli, drinking and washing water was severely rationed and by week Four even the Libyan flies had left the camp due to us being stinky.
The Army called In the Engineers who erected a massive tent complete with Internal pipe work, water bowsers were brought In from the North and connected up, we were each Issued a small bar of carbolic soap told to strip and when the whistle went, In we went and out the other end, the problem though was the water would only come down In certain areas so consequently you had Sixty odd squaddies running naked covered In carbolic soap lather trying to get rinsed off but slipping and sliding and going a rse over tit all over the place, that Image still sometimes haunts me.

A couple of weeks later Gaddafi had ceased power and Instructed us to leave with safe passage. Thank f uck for the RAF.

My camping tip would be avoid camping at all cost as I have done ever since leaving the Army.

That sounds like an awful lot of bollocks.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Camping on 18:54 - May 21 with 662 viewsdmm

Camping on 13:43 - May 20 by Toast_R

There's a reason why houses are popular...

I'm with you Toast R, 100%!
Camping on 18:57 - May 21 with 651 viewsLblock

Camping on 16:01 - May 20 by loftboy

Hotel then!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Camping on 09:29 - May 22 with 427 viewsTheChef

Camping on 15:58 - May 21 by tstarhoop

Cheers we did invest in an inflatable tent - generally yes it is less hassle but it's also fooking massive/heavy and basically takes up the whole boot!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Camping on 09:31 - May 22 with 411 viewsdoogi10

does a tent have en suite no hotel it is then
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024