Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix 08:58 - May 22 with 16975 viewsFrankRightguard

Anyone seen this? Shocking even by the pitifully low standards society seems to operate at these days.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:34 - May 24 with 2147 viewsstowmarketrange

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:30 - May 24 by QPunkR

That's what I've said all along

I’m pretty certain that the thugs who bunked in wouldn’t have cared if it was full or not.I doubt that they would’ve thought about the safety of the people already in the stadium.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:34 - May 24 with 2148 viewsQPunkR

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:11 - May 24 by SheffieldHoop

But no one died at the Euro 2020 final. Or even got seriously hurt. That's the difference. Crowd control at a massive football match got completely out of hand. People stormed the stadium. You had stewards opening doors and selling fake credentials to get ticketless fans in. And no one died. It's a collapse of infrastructure, security, stewarding, staffing.......But most of all, it's a lucky escape. In years gone by people would have died, had it been at the old Wembley with terracing people almost certainly would've died. And I like and am very much a pro-football terrace type, but you have to accept that the all-seater thing has very likely prevented deaths here. That is the story. Billing it as some unavoidable "attack" and blaming the "attackers" to me just stinks of The Sun/SYP/Tories collusion post-Hillsborough.

Similar thing happened at Brixton Academy a few months later.....2 dead, a young mum of 2 and a member of the door staff, and several in hospital....Not many self-loathing (Anglophobic?) media class types there though, so no Netflix inquest is required over that.
[Post edited 24 May 12:20]

I know no-one died mate, but equally they haven't painted it as an unavoidable attack. It's just a standard Netflix documentary that doesn't look into the story in any depth. My opinion - I don't feel it's sensationalist or anything and I don't have a problem with the title being Attack on Wembley - for anyone who was there those three words perfectly describe what it was like.

Of course I get your point that there were no deaths and why aren't there any docs about the Brixton Academy etc etc, but that's more a question of 'why aren't those documentaries being made' rather than 'why has this one been put together'

QPR - "shit but local"

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:38 - May 24 with 2110 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:29 - May 24 by stowmarketrange

Maybe they were lucky that Wembley only had 67,000 in that day because if it was full there may well have been deaths or serious injuries?

Or maybe if it was completely sold out, a majority of the people who "attacked" would've just found a pub instead.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:51 - May 24 with 2061 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:34 - May 24 by QPunkR

I know no-one died mate, but equally they haven't painted it as an unavoidable attack. It's just a standard Netflix documentary that doesn't look into the story in any depth. My opinion - I don't feel it's sensationalist or anything and I don't have a problem with the title being Attack on Wembley - for anyone who was there those three words perfectly describe what it was like.

Of course I get your point that there were no deaths and why aren't there any docs about the Brixton Academy etc etc, but that's more a question of 'why aren't those documentaries being made' rather than 'why has this one been put together'

I dunno. Do feel there is a certain type of person who relishes any opportunity to stick the boot in on English legacy football fan types in general. IMO It's all done to manufacture consent for the police to treat football fans like utter shit in the real world. We're not protesting some passionate political cause, we're just tribal scum only worthy of contempt. And we get treated accordingly.

See it....Say it......Be called a conspiracy theorist

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:52 - May 24 with 2070 viewsstowmarketrange

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:38 - May 24 by SheffieldHoop

Or maybe if it was completely sold out, a majority of the people who "attacked" would've just found a pub instead.

Like scousers did at the 1989 cup final?Only 1 month after hillsborough,people were filmed climbing the outside walls to get into an already packed stadium.
Some might’ve gone to the pub,but the vast majority wouldn’t care if there was room for them or not,in my opinion.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:55 - May 24 with 2044 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:52 - May 24 by stowmarketrange

Like scousers did at the 1989 cup final?Only 1 month after hillsborough,people were filmed climbing the outside walls to get into an already packed stadium.
Some might’ve gone to the pub,but the vast majority wouldn’t care if there was room for them or not,in my opinion.

Are you implying Liverpool fans are not entirely victims in all of this?

Good luck

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:00 - May 24 with 2029 viewsJuzzie

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:29 - May 24 by stowmarketrange

Maybe they were lucky that Wembley only had 67,000 in that day because if it was full there may well have been deaths or serious injuries?

Would fans have tried to bunk in if the stadium had sold out all 90k seats?

I'm sure knowing it was nearly a third empty promoted then to do this.

I guess we'll never know for sure.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:11 - May 24 with 1982 viewsstowmarketrange

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:55 - May 24 by SheffieldHoop

Are you implying Liverpool fans are not entirely victims in all of this?

Good luck

That’s twisting my words a bit.I don’t know if they were Everton or Liverpool fans climbing the walls that day.
Login to get fewer ads

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:28 - May 24 with 1931 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:26 - May 24 by 1MoreBrightonR

not the best example (though appreciate thats not your point) as Glastonbury fencing is like a prison these days. Two layers of perimeter fencing which is almost like permanent fencing with car and foot patrols inbetween the two in case anyone makes it over one. They were going to lose their license years back over all the people climbing in, so they completely stamped it out.

Yeah no-one gets into Glastonbury without a ticket now.

Used to camp in the travellers field occasionally in the mid 90s: fences knocked down and thousands upon thousands poured in.

A thousand times better than the corporate sanitised it’s become nowadays.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:34 - May 24 with 1919 viewsQPunkR

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:28 - May 24 by Ned_Kennedys

Used to camp in the travellers field occasionally in the mid 90s: fences knocked down and thousands upon thousands poured in.

On the plus side, you can go glamping there now

QPR - "shit but local"

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:53 - May 24 with 1869 viewsthame_hoops

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:51 - May 24 by SheffieldHoop

I dunno. Do feel there is a certain type of person who relishes any opportunity to stick the boot in on English legacy football fan types in general. IMO It's all done to manufacture consent for the police to treat football fans like utter shit in the real world. We're not protesting some passionate political cause, we're just tribal scum only worthy of contempt. And we get treated accordingly.

See it....Say it......Be called a conspiracy theorist

Pardon my ignorance but what is an ‘English legacy football fan type’?
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:59 - May 24 with 1845 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:53 - May 24 by thame_hoops

Pardon my ignorance but what is an ‘English legacy football fan type’?

White geezers.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 14:46 - May 24 with 1750 views1MoreBrightonR

Re the Brixton fiasco....netflix arent making a documentary about it because 1. the footage of it wont be very interesting, compared to thousands of drunk england fans being idiots and ...

2. (more importantly) there will be zero interest in it outside the UK, so it doesnt make financial sense for them to make it. it's nothing to do with Anglophobia, but a documentary on a complete mess at a global sporting event, followed by 100's of millions of people, in the worlds most popular sport is going to be much more marketable than a documentary on a small, local event in London barely followed by anyone outside then UK. Its just simple economics. And sadly, the fact that the England football fans were living up to stereotypes a lot of the world has about them just makes it even more marketable.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 15:41 - May 24 with 1648 viewsQPunkR

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 14:46 - May 24 by 1MoreBrightonR

Re the Brixton fiasco....netflix arent making a documentary about it because 1. the footage of it wont be very interesting, compared to thousands of drunk england fans being idiots and ...

2. (more importantly) there will be zero interest in it outside the UK, so it doesnt make financial sense for them to make it. it's nothing to do with Anglophobia, but a documentary on a complete mess at a global sporting event, followed by 100's of millions of people, in the worlds most popular sport is going to be much more marketable than a documentary on a small, local event in London barely followed by anyone outside then UK. Its just simple economics. And sadly, the fact that the England football fans were living up to stereotypes a lot of the world has about them just makes it even more marketable.

Succinctly put

QPR - "shit but local"

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 20:17 - May 24 with 1481 viewsizlingtonhoop

The guy has my every sympathy, and he just chose the wrong words.

You're taking the p*ss..
When I get in there, I'm gonna fu ck you up..
You think it's funny, you P___ C**t..?
And.. I been called a lot worse...

Christ on a bike! What!?
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 21:37 - May 24 with 1389 viewsHoopsie

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 14:46 - May 24 by 1MoreBrightonR

Is it the norm to “attack”, “gate crush”, “storm” an event if you didn’t have tickets or refuse to pay for a ticket?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 21:58 - May 24 with 1342 viewsHayesender

I'm surprised more of us weren't injured in the rush to get out before Marti came

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 23:28 - May 24 with 1259 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:28 - May 24 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah right

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 23:34 - May 24 with 1244 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 13:59 - May 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

White geezers.

Well, kind of, but not entirely. White blokes made this film. White blokes are sports writers for the Independent. And QPR has plenty of nonwhite legacy football fan types. So yeah a large portion of the group I refer to will be white blokes, but not all, and this isn’t predicated on ethnicity.

I think the reason we’re considered so ripe for criticism is to do with "heteronormativity" and attacks on that stuff being acceptable, incentivized even. I’m sure you know that as well, but instead, you choose to imply I’m racist. Sad.

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 03:47 - May 25 with 1155 viewsSydneyRs

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:34 - May 24 by QPunkR

It comes down to audience interest and how much the makers and Netflix can profit by producing it.

Quite simply, a story about crowd issues at a big international football final involving England is going to attract more viewers and interest than trouble at a Brixton Academy event most people would never have heard of.

Its about simple old supply and demand, nothing else.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 04:03 - May 25 with 1127 viewsFredManRave

Just watched it.

Just another case of Netflix giv¡ng it the big'un yet delivering nothing of any reail, deep and incisve investigatons.

We're all being brainwashed.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 08:48 - May 25 with 1025 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 23:34 - May 24 by SheffieldHoop

Well, kind of, but not entirely. White blokes made this film. White blokes are sports writers for the Independent. And QPR has plenty of nonwhite legacy football fan types. So yeah a large portion of the group I refer to will be white blokes, but not all, and this isn’t predicated on ethnicity.

I think the reason we’re considered so ripe for criticism is to do with "heteronormativity" and attacks on that stuff being acceptable, incentivized even. I’m sure you know that as well, but instead, you choose to imply I’m racist. Sad.

No one has said you are racist or implied as much. You’ve placed yourself as the victim all on your own.

For what it’s worth I agree with you that football fans in general are portrayed badly, except that attacks are based on race or sexuality or the that comparisons with Brixton are useful.

A better comparison would be the Champions League final in Paris, which was stormed mostly by French Arabic and French Sub Saharan youth. There have been several documentaries made on that and lots of international coverage about the thefts and assaults, a lot of which was attributed to their race and plenty of hay was made by Le Pen and FN or whatever they are called now.

As ever, class is the main magnet for attacks and discrimination. ID politics is a distraction.
[Post edited 25 May 9:00]
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 11:55 - May 25 with 939 viewsSheffieldHoop

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 08:48 - May 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

No one has said you are racist or implied as much. You’ve placed yourself as the victim all on your own.

For what it’s worth I agree with you that football fans in general are portrayed badly, except that attacks are based on race or sexuality or the that comparisons with Brixton are useful.

A better comparison would be the Champions League final in Paris, which was stormed mostly by French Arabic and French Sub Saharan youth. There have been several documentaries made on that and lots of international coverage about the thefts and assaults, a lot of which was attributed to their race and plenty of hay was made by Le Pen and FN or whatever they are called now.

As ever, class is the main magnet for attacks and discrimination. ID politics is a distraction.
[Post edited 25 May 9:00]

Maybe explain your "White geezers" comment in a little more detail then, because it came across that way to me.

I'm not sure Paris is a "better" comparison, different country, with a different police force, and different ways of doing things. Brixton is more comparable in several ways. Either way, we won't see the documentary on either of those, and it's not because capitalism makes it financially unviable, which is an absurd claim to see made tbh.

I'm sure we're all aware that London (And Paris) has been "attacked" far more meaningfully over the last 10 years than "Oooooh a few people got pissed up at Wembley on a hot summer day and a few stormed the turnstiles" - But we're not allowed to talk about that, we get told to point the finger at our sons instead. It is brainwashing.

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:21 - May 25 with 918 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 11:55 - May 25 by SheffieldHoop

Maybe explain your "White geezers" comment in a little more detail then, because it came across that way to me.

I'm not sure Paris is a "better" comparison, different country, with a different police force, and different ways of doing things. Brixton is more comparable in several ways. Either way, we won't see the documentary on either of those, and it's not because capitalism makes it financially unviable, which is an absurd claim to see made tbh.

I'm sure we're all aware that London (And Paris) has been "attacked" far more meaningfully over the last 10 years than "Oooooh a few people got pissed up at Wembley on a hot summer day and a few stormed the turnstiles" - But we're not allowed to talk about that, we get told to point the finger at our sons instead. It is brainwashing.

You've been very consistent for years on here insisting white men (and 'heteronormative' men) get a bad deal from liberal and left bodies including the media.

Did I misunderstand what demographic you were referring to when you say legacy fans?

If I think you are racist i'll say so. I won't tread on eggshells around it. I'm not famed for my tact.

You said in as many words that the media gave the perpetrators at the Euro final at Wembley a harder time because they were white working class men and gave the Brixton Asake perpetrators an easy time, I assume from your previous posts, because they weren't.

I gave you an example of similar sized sporting event where similar things happened, and where the main demographic (arab and african) were attacked for it.

Here is a documentary about it, on Panorama the national broadcaster no less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001d84s

Here is a quote from it, from a french copper

"At the start the ones jumping through the turnstiles were mainly locals, but very quickly other profiles emerged. Minors or pseudo-minors, foreigners, ultra-violent types from God knows where. Then everything changed,"

I'm not going to post on this anymore, as it will only result in you publishing my photo or personal details, but I hope you get my point.
The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 12:22 - May 25 with 920 viewsstowmarketrange

The Final: Attack on Wembley - Netflix on 11:55 - May 25 by SheffieldHoop

It was hardly a few.The reports say that 6,000 managed or tried to get into the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024