Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
matt phillips 12:42 - Aug 5 with 7731 viewsqprissimo

Strongly rumoured on Twitter, by a relatively reliable source, that we've agreed deal to sign Matt Phillips from Blackpool. Somewhere between 4-6 million. I'd count that as pretty mindblowing (I.e. not a championship manager 2008 signing).
matt phillips on 13:04 - Aug 5 with 6540 viewssimmo

Been rumbling on. Reckon Blackpool will play real hard ball there, they drew Ince transfer out with Cardiff and then turned them down so they are obviously not desperate to sell.

I have always liked him though, really hit the ground running after his move from Wycombe. Plenty of other similar alternatives though, Buckley for example would probably cost similar and plays both wings. Adomah at Bristol City, Robbie Brady @ Hull, Sam Byram (although that would be pricey).

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

matt phillips on 13:11 - Aug 5 with 6471 viewsJonDoeman

matt phillips on 13:04 - Aug 5 by simmo

Been rumbling on. Reckon Blackpool will play real hard ball there, they drew Ince transfer out with Cardiff and then turned them down so they are obviously not desperate to sell.

I have always liked him though, really hit the ground running after his move from Wycombe. Plenty of other similar alternatives though, Buckley for example would probably cost similar and plays both wings. Adomah at Bristol City, Robbie Brady @ Hull, Sam Byram (although that would be pricey).

Going into the last year of his contract, they probably are desperate to sell.

It Is What It Is !!

matt phillips on 13:17 - Aug 5 with 6416 viewsRblockPrior

isnt he out injured with a broken arm though?

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

matt phillips on 13:33 - Aug 5 with 6308 viewsjonno

matt phillips on 13:17 - Aug 5 by RblockPrior

isnt he out injured with a broken arm though?

That won't prevent him passing our medical!
matt phillips on 13:34 - Aug 5 with 6298 viewsWokingR

Cant be true.
Apparently we only buy central midfielders
matt phillips on 18:52 - Aug 5 with 6013 viewsQPRDave

signed according to this

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/10592681._/?
matt phillips on 19:07 - Aug 5 with 5931 viewsRANGERS4EVER

matt phillips on 18:52 - Aug 5 by QPRDave

signed according to this

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/10592681._/?

Wow that sounds like the a very unreliable website really. Says we have confirmed it?? When the hell did we do that?

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

matt phillips on 20:08 - Aug 5 with 5703 viewsQPRDave

matt phillips on 19:07 - Aug 5 by RANGERS4EVER

Wow that sounds like the a very unreliable website really. Says we have confirmed it?? When the hell did we do that?

yes i seem to have missed it too
Login to get fewer ads

matt phillips on 20:20 - Aug 5 with 5621 viewsjamois

Blackpool didn't draw the Ince transfer out, it was Ince. Just had a baby and didn't want to uproot so soon - am sure I read that more than once.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

matt phillips on 21:13 - Aug 5 with 5427 viewsSeth_Gecko

Great signing IMO, even if he is out for another 2 months with a broken arm. 10 times better than SWP.

Everybody be cool, you be cool...

matt phillips on 21:16 - Aug 5 with 5404 viewsDebaser

matt phillips on 13:33 - Aug 5 by jonno

That won't prevent him passing our medical!

Stephen Hawking would pass our medical.

matt phillips on 23:07 - Aug 5 with 5189 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

everyone seems to be saying deal is done and dusted, 4 mill plus add ons. bloody good business if true

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

matt phillips on 23:08 - Aug 5 with 5185 viewsowza

matt phillips on 21:13 - Aug 5 by Seth_Gecko

Great signing IMO, even if he is out for another 2 months with a broken arm. 10 times better than SWP.

Still would rather have Townsend though. But I agree Phillips is a good winger and I have always admired him.
matt phillips on 01:12 - Aug 6 with 5035 viewskarl

matt phillips on 23:07 - Aug 5 by UPPERLOFTNZ

everyone seems to be saying deal is done and dusted, 4 mill plus add ons. bloody good business if true

Scotland International!
matt phillips on 01:36 - Aug 6 with 5016 viewsrsonist

Good, potentially great, signing if we can get him back to his best. £4m-5m on an injured and out-of-form player is more like paying risky top whack than it is "good business" though.
matt phillips on 01:57 - Aug 6 with 5004 viewsDieByYourSide

matt phillips on 01:36 - Aug 6 by rsonist

Good, potentially great, signing if we can get him back to his best. £4m-5m on an injured and out-of-form player is more like paying risky top whack than it is "good business" though.

We've spent £4m on far worse.

He'll be on shag all money at Blackpool too so wages shouldn't be too high.

Poll: And it's hi ho

matt phillips on 08:56 - Aug 6 with 4791 viewsnadera78

I like Phillips, and prefer him to Ince who has always struck me as overhyped and lacking real quality at the decisive moments. Ince not leaving fro Cardiff has buggered Blackpool up because they needed that money for new players (and Oyston's dividend!).

That said, we could have had Phillips for 500K when he was at Wycombe but weren't interested. Now we're looking to pay something like 10X that price. Same went for Gary hooper. This club has had a diabolical recruitment strategy for about a decade now - pretty much since Mel Johnson left.

Phillips is definitely an upgrade on our two current brainless wingers SWP and Hoilett (could have scored or set up 2 goals on Saturday if he'd been more composed) and is the kind of player you can take with you into the PL. I'd also rate him above Townsend who started well but was quickly found out last season - entirely right footed, refuses to play on the right, only interested in cutting in from the left and shooting. Overall, a very nice signing.
matt phillips on 11:41 - Aug 6 with 4618 viewssimmo

matt phillips on 20:20 - Aug 5 by jamois

Blackpool didn't draw the Ince transfer out, it was Ince. Just had a baby and didn't want to uproot so soon - am sure I read that more than once.

Yeah Blackpool accepted I think but it was drawn out when discussign personal terms and meeting with the family, as that includes his Dad, who obviously didnt want him sold, I assume they will play hard ball over the deal. Him and nce ae the 2 best prospects they have.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

matt phillips on 11:56 - Aug 6 with 4577 viewsPhildo

matt phillips on 08:56 - Aug 6 by nadera78

I like Phillips, and prefer him to Ince who has always struck me as overhyped and lacking real quality at the decisive moments. Ince not leaving fro Cardiff has buggered Blackpool up because they needed that money for new players (and Oyston's dividend!).

That said, we could have had Phillips for 500K when he was at Wycombe but weren't interested. Now we're looking to pay something like 10X that price. Same went for Gary hooper. This club has had a diabolical recruitment strategy for about a decade now - pretty much since Mel Johnson left.

Phillips is definitely an upgrade on our two current brainless wingers SWP and Hoilett (could have scored or set up 2 goals on Saturday if he'd been more composed) and is the kind of player you can take with you into the PL. I'd also rate him above Townsend who started well but was quickly found out last season - entirely right footed, refuses to play on the right, only interested in cutting in from the left and shooting. Overall, a very nice signing.

+1
matt phillips on 11:58 - Aug 6 with 4564 viewsballbag

Blackpool mate at work said that he handed in a transfer request when Southampton came sniffing for him last summer (£6m bid?). This was rejected by the club and he has played shit ever since.

Blackpool then rejected a £800k bid from Cardiff in January.

As someone mentioned though, he's probably on peanuts now, so wages wouldn't be too high.

The broken-arm-two-months-out thing is a slight worry though.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 12:00]
matt phillips on 12:09 - Aug 6 with 4497 viewsadhoc_qpr

matt phillips on 11:58 - Aug 6 by ballbag

Blackpool mate at work said that he handed in a transfer request when Southampton came sniffing for him last summer (£6m bid?). This was rejected by the club and he has played shit ever since.

Blackpool then rejected a £800k bid from Cardiff in January.

As someone mentioned though, he's probably on peanuts now, so wages wouldn't be too high.

The broken-arm-two-months-out thing is a slight worry though.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 12:00]

Broken arm isn't too much of a worry thought is it?

Ligaments and knee injuries are the kind of things that will reoccur or take time to recover from - a bone break will hopefully be pretty straight forward and probably won't stop him doing some other fitness work in the interim.

I thought he looked pretty good for Blackpool and was better than Ince - like Austin he's proven at this level and has potential at the next too should we get back there in the next couple of seasons.
matt phillips on 12:53 - Aug 6 with 4393 viewsrsonist

I think Ince is a quality player personally, albeit wildly overpriced. Consistency in wingers is a virtue.

Phillips more than looked the part when he made his breakthrough for Blackpool when they were in the Premiership. The fact he's not really kicked on from there for whatever reasons makes this signing something of a gamble at this price. Like I say though, potentially excellent if all goes well.
matt phillips on 13:01 - Aug 6 with 4334 viewsrsonist

matt phillips on 01:12 - Aug 6 by karl

Scotland International!

Still think it's something of a disgrace that Phillips, Bridcutt, Rhodes and other young players have felt working their way up the ladder was so far-fetched that they settled for long lost Scots ancestry. There's a serious problem in English football with fast-tracked golden boys earmarked at an early age being in the fold permanently regardless of form. You don't get that in other countries.
matt phillips on 13:02 - Aug 6 with 4327 viewsrsonist

(Rhodes had mitigating circumstances I suppose, but still.)
matt phillips on 17:20 - Aug 6 with 4170 viewskarl

matt phillips on 13:01 - Aug 6 by rsonist

Still think it's something of a disgrace that Phillips, Bridcutt, Rhodes and other young players have felt working their way up the ladder was so far-fetched that they settled for long lost Scots ancestry. There's a serious problem in English football with fast-tracked golden boys earmarked at an early age being in the fold permanently regardless of form. You don't get that in other countries.

I agree completely (I didn't call him Scottish).
As you say Rhodes is a different case but this 'poaching' of teenagers is crap. In Scotland we lost James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady to RoI, because they were made to feel welcome?! Both are grandparent rule same as Phillips and Bridcutt, I don't know the answer but I think parents should be as far as it goes.
I know that Scotland can be poor but when a lot of the squad don't have a true affiliation to the country then it can be bad to watch them struggle. What will these boys be thinking at Wembley next week?

I think Bridcutt could become a very good player from what I've seen of him, not seen Phillips that I can remember but he is highly rated. As you say the elitist squads don't encourage these boys to stick it out with England, although the fact a U21 cap doesn't tie you to a country is equally crass
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024