Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soul of The Superhoops 22:48 - Sep 3 with 2955 viewsHadders

I was going to write an mini-essay about why I think Fernandes deserves some gratitude from us for nurturing the soul of our club, but then remembered that a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/6648535/?type=responsive-galle
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 14:30]
The Soul of The Superhoops on 23:00 - Sep 3 with 2920 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don't dislike TF, I just ain't a fan of businessmen dipping their toes into football.

You can't treat fans like customers and the industry like the free market. If Sainsbury's is shite you start shopping at Tescos. If QPR are shite I'm not going to be popping down the road to that other mob cheers.

I'm not naive though. He's no Karl Oyston so for that I'm thankful.
The Soul of The Superhoops on 00:55 - Sep 4 with 2823 viewsPunteR

I was thinking about this.
QPR is so much more than TF and Tune group.
They're bystanders to what QPR is really all about.
I dont buy into the cursed club thing or we're unlucky. In fact i think we're the opposite. I think we're actually quite a lucky club.
Yeh we've had crap times but we've always always dragged ourselves through.
We could have been Wimbledon or Luton. We could have got relegated when Bolton did instead in the city game. Zamora could have missed...
We've always punched above our weight. We're a proper football club. Tony Fernades is a lucky man he's still involved with QPR.
Look.He's been fantastic regarding Grenfell and i truly admire the way the club have handled the situation.
It really does feel that QPR are getting their soul back . Sir Les , Sinton are doing a fantastic job from what i can see. Its great seing Olly back, Penrice ..
Yeh id say the soul of the superhoops is coming back. Of course it is. We're the finest football team the world has ever seen and yes ive had a beer.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Soul of The Superhoops on 01:06 - Sep 4 with 2809 viewsHadders

The Soul of The Superhoops on 07:33 - Sep 4 with 2683 viewsnix

Some fine points Hadders very well made.

Those guys in the first pictures always make me feel like I need to have a shower just looking at them.

I can safely say that they have been the only thing that's dampened my enthusiasm for the club over the years: relegations (several), being regularly tonked in the prem (home and away), some clueless managers (more numerous to mention) have all made me tear my hair out at times. But those guys made me question if I wanted to be involved with the club. Actually made me a bit embarrassed to be linked to them by association. It feels very different now.
The Soul of The Superhoops on 08:21 - Sep 4 with 2636 viewsPommyhoop

The Soul of The Superhoops on 07:33 - Sep 4 by nix

Those guys in the first pictures always make me feel like I need to have a shower just looking at them.

I can safely say that they have been the only thing that's dampened my enthusiasm for the club over the years: relegations (several), being regularly tonked in the prem (home and away), some clueless managers (more numerous to mention) have all made me tear my hair out at times. But those guys made me question if I wanted to be involved with the club. Actually made me a bit embarrassed to be linked to them by association. It feels very different now.

Yup..
Ollie goes there in Clive's great interview..

''But I liked the way the club was going, I liked the murmurings that were coming out. It was a platform for people to become famous again, not somewhere you came because you were famous. That’s the right way to go for us and where we are. Our place in London, the area the ground is in, what it means to me is reality and real people. It’s not an upmarket area where everything is false and designer label. I didn’t like it when the club had a flirt around with things like that''

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

The Soul of The Superhoops on 09:13 - Sep 4 with 2559 viewsHadders

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/14/qpr-alec-stock-day-yeovil

In this article about the Alec Stock Day, this bit stands out about pre-Fernandes QPR. Pretty sure Lazarus wouldn't say this now:

"One of the players who will be on the pitch at half-time is Mark Lazarus, who was signed by Stock on four occasions — once at Leyton Orient, thrice for Rangers — and scored the winning goal in the 1967 League Cup final victory against West Bromwich Albion. "I was a bit surprised when I heard about it," Lazarus says. "It should have been done years ago. They should have had a match for him. I don't know his financial situation, but they could have done something for him while he was alive."

In fact Yeovil organised a testimonial to help fund Stock's care towards the end of his life but QPR turned down the chance to be involved and instead the Glovers played one of his other former clubs, Fulham.

"QPR have been like that for the last few years — not looking after the old players," says Lazarus. "The last few times I've been I haven't been treated very well, and I'm only going this time for Alec Stock. Sometimes they ring me up and invite me to games, and of late I've just been refusing. My other clubs, they make such a fuss of you when you go there. I don't know what's up with them at QPR."

Making quite a fuss now. He gets two players as fags (er...old meaning) for the day!

P.S. Thanx Nix!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 9:32]
The Soul of The Superhoops on 10:42 - Sep 4 with 2460 viewsToast_R

As much as the way they went about their business at QPR to the detriment of the fans, Briatore and Ecclescake very much a necessary evil for this club as the finances and the commitment to loans meant it was silently going to the wall at the end of the 2006/07 season. Imagine the club being liquidated with Palladini in charge?
The Soul of The Superhoops on 10:53 - Sep 4 with 2445 viewsMick_S

The Soul of The Superhoops on 07:33 - Sep 4 by nix

Absolutely spot on. I can't remember the opposition, but it was the day when jugglers, fire eaters, airline crew, fireworks in bins and whatever else available was going on prior to kickoff. All that was missing was a dressed up elephant and I remember thinking that I couldn't have too much more of this.

Thank goodness we seem to be becoming proper QPR once more.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

The Soul of The Superhoops on 12:24 - Sep 4 with 2334 viewsdanehoop

The Soul of The Superhoops on 10:53 - Sep 4 by Mick_S

Absolutely spot on. I can't remember the opposition, but it was the day when jugglers, fire eaters, airline crew, fireworks in bins and whatever else available was going on prior to kickoff. All that was missing was a dressed up elephant and I remember thinking that I couldn't have too much more of this.

I think that you under-estimate the value that elephants could have brought to proceedings.

Elephants vs. monkeys with knives.... (Simpsons in India reference)

Never knowingly understood

The Soul of The Superhoops on 12:37 - Sep 4 with 2293 viewsLunarJetman

The Soul of The Superhoops on 10:53 - Sep 4 by Mick_S

I'm sure this was the day that we were told Biratore wanted to address us prior to the game. He trudged onto the pitch waving his arms soaking up the cheers, took the mic of someone, tried to speak into it but it wasn't working.

He fiddled with it for a bit, tapped it, then handed it back before trudging off the pitch.

Sums up his time with us really....
The Soul of The Superhoops on 12:47 - Sep 4 with 2262 viewsMaggsinho

The Soul of The Superhoops on 12:37 - Sep 4 by LunarJetman

I'm sure this was the day that we were told Biratore wanted to address us prior to the game. He trudged onto the pitch waving his arms soaking up the cheers, took the mic of someone, tried to speak into it but it wasn't working.

He fiddled with it for a bit, tapped it, then handed it back before trudging off the pitch.

Sums up his time with us really....

And the mic managed to spring into life just long enough for Billy Rice to mutter 'f*ck' into it across the PA.

Was the launch of the new club crest I think.
The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:16 - Sep 4 with 2193 viewsHadders

Sometimes there is not enough vomit in the universe: for me, the Tango crest, possibly designed by Alan Partridge during his lunchbreak ("It's historical, Lynn, but also modern"), was without question the tackiest bit of faux-historical plastic fakery ever to have stained the Holy Shirt. I know some people liked it, but they are simply wrong, because YUCK! It failed even on its own terms, as the gesture to medieval heraldry clashes horribly with the cheap 1980s-style of the shield and the bog-standard font.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:41]
The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:31 - Sep 4 with 2154 viewsDorse

The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:16 - Sep 4 by Hadders

Sometimes there is not enough vomit in the universe: for me, the Tango crest, possibly designed by Alan Partridge during his lunchbreak ("It's historical, Lynn, but also modern"), was without question the tackiest bit of faux-historical plastic fakery ever to have stained the Holy Shirt. I know some people liked it, but they are simply wrong, because YUCK! It failed even on its own terms, as the gesture to medieval heraldry clashes horribly with the cheap 1980s-style of the shield and the bog-standard font.

I said at the time that the Briatore's Boutiquery Crest looked like an explosion in a clip-art factory. It has not improved with age. Looks like a Year 9 art project that scraped a C.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:34 - Sep 4 with 2144 viewsRs_Holy

The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:16 - Sep 4 by Hadders

[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 14:00]
The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:50 - Sep 4 with 2111 viewsHadders

Just thought I'd Google it and...bingo. The new Orange Order.

http://images2.corriereobjects.it/methode_image/2016/07/22/Tablet%20Edition/Foto

By way of contrast: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/01/qpr-gives-fleet-of-coaches-to-brin

[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:53]
The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:54 - Sep 4 with 2095 viewsRs_Holy

The Soul of The Superhoops on 13:50 - Sep 4 by Hadders

Just thought I'd Google it and...bingo. The new Orange Order.

http://images2.corriereobjects.it/methode_image/2016/07/22/Tablet%20Edition/Foto

By way of contrast: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/01/qpr-gives-fleet-of-coaches-to-brin

[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:53]

[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:58]
Soul of The Superhoops on 23:50 - Sep 4 with 1779 viewsCiderwithRsie

Alec Stock Day was when I started to swing back behind Fernandes.

Oddly enough his business acumen, which was what brought him to the club, has been terrible, but his understanding of the club ethos has been really good.

I know not everyone will agree, and that's fair enough but if I had to choose between getting promoted and the club getting right the response to Grenfell, Stan and Alec Stock I'd give up on the promotion. (I know it's not either/or, but getting the most important things right does count for something.)
Soul of The Superhoops on 09:13 - Sep 5 with 1615 viewsHadders

Soul of The Superhoops on 23:50 - Sep 4 by CiderwithRsie

Oddly enough his business acumen, which was what brought him to the club, has been terrible, but his understanding of the club ethos has been really good.

I know not everyone will agree, and that's fair enough but if I had to choose between getting promoted and the club getting right the response to Grenfell, Stan and Alec Stock I'd give up on the promotion. (I know it's not either/or, but getting the most important things right does count for something.)

Exactly, Cid. I agree with every single letter of that.

Soul of The Superhoops on 09:35 - Sep 5 with 1590 viewsJacksDad

Soul of The Superhoops on 23:50 - Sep 4 by CiderwithRsie

I agree ... I certainly felt more proud of The R's after the Stan and Grenfell games than I did after Wembley ..(which we stole and had Redkrapps sticky fingers all over it) and even Warnock's promotion which was tainted by the idiot bent Italian Waiter and his dodgy paperwork.

I felt so emotional at Stan's game that I was exhausted by the time I got home.

I am man enough to say that I cried buckets during the Grenfell game .. of sadness, and happiness too..

My 12 year old daughter said "why did the fat one have to have a lie down?" After Magic Hat's long range shot brought a save out of the keeper. (Still the best striker on the pitch though was ol' Magic Hat)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024