Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit for the youth team 13:24 - Feb 7 with 3284 viewsWestbourneR

While watching yesterday was thinking two of our best recent prospects - Chair and Dieng - were signed from the EU.

Am I right in thinking they wouldn’t have qualified based on the new points system?

If so it’s going to limit our talent pool quite badly.

Sinclair Armstrong also - or are Irish citizens given a by?

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Brexit for the youth team on 14:53 - Feb 7 with 3128 viewsdanehoop

Rules still bedding down a bit I think, but essentially yes on Chair and Dieng (although Dieng is Swiss so not strictly an EU national).

Irish not effected because of much earlier legislation.

It will make it very interesting for so many clubs, especially in the Prem who rely on scouring Europe for talented youngesters to park in their academies. Certainly will be a premium on emerging home grown talent.

Never knowingly understood

Brexit for the youth team on 16:21 - Feb 7 with 3041 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Then again, it’ll be as hard for Borussia Dortmund to nab/develop the likes of Bellingham and Sancho.

Always a tad uneasy about this procession of young lads from Africa and Latin America to Europe only to be discarded if they don’t make it. I read something a while back about how many are left in precarious positions afterwards.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Brexit for the youth team on 16:27 - Feb 7 with 3023 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 14:53 - Feb 7 by danehoop

Rules still bedding down a bit I think, but essentially yes on Chair and Dieng (although Dieng is Swiss so not strictly an EU national).

Irish not effected because of much earlier legislation.

It will make it very interesting for so many clubs, especially in the Prem who rely on scouring Europe for talented youngesters to park in their academies. Certainly will be a premium on emerging home grown talent.

Irish players are included, as far as I know.

No Under-18 players from the EU (Including Ireland) will be allowed to transfer to England (or Scotland, Wales or Norn Iron either for that matter.

The loophole, as ever, is if the kid and his family magically move to England.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brexit for the youth team on 18:21 - Feb 7 with 2941 viewsdenhamhoop2

Brexit for the youth team on 16:27 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Irish players are included, as far as I know.

No Under-18 players from the EU (Including Ireland) will be allowed to transfer to England (or Scotland, Wales or Norn Iron either for that matter.

The loophole, as ever, is if the kid and his family magically move to England.

To be fair it is not unknown for Irish families to move to England for work
Brexit for the youth team on 18:22 - Feb 7 with 2934 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 18:21 - Feb 7 by denhamhoop2

Ha ha! Fair point.

Other way around now!

Brexit for the youth team on 18:26 - Feb 7 with 2921 viewsdenhamhoop2

Brexit for the youth team on 18:22 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Ha ha! Fair point.

Other way around now!

Is that because all the Poles have gone home and Ireland is lacking tradesmen
Brexit for the youth team on 18:28 - Feb 7 with 2915 viewsderbyhoop

For players over 21, provided they play in one of the top Leagues (Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga), and have played over 70% of your country's games, then it will be a doddle.

How many players like that are going to sign for any Championship clubs. Given our finances, QPR arent in the market for any like that. Would recent players like Chery, Polter, Leistner qualify for the necessary Visa? Highly unlikely.

Still we could sign players like Manning or Sinclair Armstrong (see comments below about CTA)
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 22:08]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brexit for the youth team on 18:30 - Feb 7 with 2905 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 18:26 - Feb 7 by denhamhoop2

Is that because all the Poles have gone home and Ireland is lacking tradesmen

Absolutely.

We badly need people to do trades and apprenticeships. All our kids have been going to college now for far too long, and then struggle to find jobs with their theory-based degrees. I'm a surveyor and the sites are 80-90% non-National.

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit for the youth team on 18:36 - Feb 7 with 2883 viewsdenhamhoop2

Brexit for the youth team on 18:30 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Absolutely.

We badly need people to do trades and apprenticeships. All our kids have been going to college now for far too long, and then struggle to find jobs with their theory-based degrees. I'm a surveyor and the sites are 80-90% non-National.

No difference here too many youngsters don't want to get their hands dirty which is a shame because once a Sparky or Plumber you have work for life
Brexit for the youth team on 19:30 - Feb 7 with 2779 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 18:36 - Feb 7 by denhamhoop2

No difference here too many youngsters don't want to get their hands dirty which is a shame because once a Sparky or Plumber you have work for life

Agreed.

My family are all Chippies and did well out of it with good health and a good income, and I'd have been one too but I didn't have the hands for it. I was brutal. Wanted to stay on the sites as I grew up on them so settled for being a surveyor.

Brexit for the youth team on 19:55 - Feb 7 with 2741 viewsQPR_John

Brexit for the youth team on 18:21 - Feb 7 by denhamhoop2

Surely the CTA is still in effect regardless of Brexit.
Brexit for the youth team on 20:11 - Feb 7 with 2693 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 19:55 - Feb 7 by QPR_John

I honestly don't know for sure, John. All I can say is that it was reported here heavily before Christmas.

Brexit for the youth team on 21:13 - Feb 7 with 2583 viewsDavieQPR

The CTA is still in operation as Irish citizens are not treated as Alien and have automatic pre acceptance.
Brexit for the youth team on 21:14 - Feb 7 with 2580 viewsdanehoop

Brexit for the youth team on 19:55 - Feb 7 by QPR_John

I think the CTA is in effect and allows for Irish players - though age maybe a factor there.

Never knowingly understood

Brexit for the youth team on 21:30 - Feb 7 with 2557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 21:14 - Feb 7 by danehoop

I think the CTA is in effect and allows for Irish players - though age maybe a factor there.

You nailed it, Dane.

Age-related.

https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-brexit-changes-459466

Brexit for the youth team on 22:01 - Feb 7 with 2500 viewsQPR_John

Brexit for the youth team on 21:30 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

You nailed it, Dane.

Age-related.

https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-brexit-changes-459466

" players moving to the UK from the continent will now have to apply for a work permit under the same conditions as those from outside of the EU."

Surely this dos not apply to citizens of Eire. I ask because my wife is Irish and still has only an Irish passport and when she came over albeit many moons ago started working without having to apply for a work permit. Also while EU nationals after Brexit had to apply for residency this did not apply to Irish citizens.

From the government web site

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland that pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it.

Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

The UK and Irish governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in May 2019 reaffirming our commitment to maintain the CTA, and the associated rights and privileges, in all circumstances. On signing the MoU, both governments released a Joint Statement.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 22:02]
Brexit for the youth team on 22:22 - Feb 7 with 2453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brexit for the youth team on 22:01 - Feb 7 by QPR_John

" players moving to the UK from the continent will now have to apply for a work permit under the same conditions as those from outside of the EU."

Surely this dos not apply to citizens of Eire. I ask because my wife is Irish and still has only an Irish passport and when she came over albeit many moons ago started working without having to apply for a work permit. Also while EU nationals after Brexit had to apply for residency this did not apply to Irish citizens.

From the government web site

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland that pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it.

Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

The UK and Irish governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in May 2019 reaffirming our commitment to maintain the CTA, and the associated rights and privileges, in all circumstances. On signing the MoU, both governments released a Joint Statement.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 22:02]

No, in non-football terms the CTA is operational as far as I know. I come from a dual Nationality family in every sense of the word so we're happy and confident that the CTA still exists.

But FIFA have it seems decided, quite rightly, that Ireland is part of the EU and Under-18 players from Ireland will be treated the same as Under-18 players from elsewhere in the EU.

This craic that "you Irish are foreign but you look vaguely like our Scottish crew so we'll take you" seems to not work any more.

Brexit for the youth team on 22:45 - Feb 7 with 2410 viewsMyke

Brexit for the youth team on 18:30 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Absolutely.

Trade apprenticeships were badly hit when the ass fell out of construction. It'll take another few years before the kid's daddy's and mammy's start to suggest doing a trade for their little darlings. In the meantime, off they go to college (or stay at home to college this year) or else get jobs in Aldi or Lidl - with nothing happening between these two extremes. Even more disheartening is watching Leaving Cert students apply for college courses, you know they are not suited to and end up dropping out of by Xmas the following year. Many of these would have made excellent, plumbers, chippies etc, but mammy and daddy had 'better' plans for them
Brexit for the youth team on 22:59 - Feb 7 with 2388 viewsQPR_John

Brexit for the youth team on 22:22 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

No, in non-football terms the CTA is operational as far as I know. I come from a dual Nationality family in every sense of the word so we're happy and confident that the CTA still exists.

But FIFA have it seems decided, quite rightly, that Ireland is part of the EU and Under-18 players from Ireland will be treated the same as Under-18 players from elsewhere in the EU.

This craic that "you Irish are foreign but you look vaguely like our Scottish crew so we'll take you" seems to not work any more.

"But FIFA have it seems decided, quite rightly, that Ireland is part of the EU and Under-18 players from Ireland will be treated the same as Under-18 players from elsewhere in the EU."

But this must also apply to any under 18 player from anywhere in the world not particularly to the EU. Hence must be a football ruling so must have applied when we were in the EU.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 23:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024