Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? 10:51 - Feb 18 with 2861 viewsozranger

Have not seen anything on this and if it has been discussed, apologies. With Charlie available for Hull and Leroy out for a little while, is it just a matter of Charlie in? The question is not to fit Charlie in, but what shape are we to play as Charlie is more a No. 9 than a No. 10 that Leroy was playing. Do we then sacrifice Zamora and bring in the likes of Adel or Zarate in Fer's position with Charlie back up front on his own (4-2-3-1) or do we alter the formation to a 4-4-2 with both Charlie and Zamora up front? I am guessing that this week's training will give Chris and Les a better look at those available.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 10:58 - Feb 18 with 2841 viewsdaveB

all depends on shape of the team, if we are going 4-4-2 then Austin in for Fer but if we are going 4-2-3-1 again then possibly Zarate or Adel in for Fer and Austin on the bench depending on his injury.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 11:00 - Feb 18 with 2822 viewsDiscodroids

im praying to the lord most high that because greyfriars scored his 4th goal in about 278 games at sunderland last week he isnt lauded on here as the reincarnation of Roberto Bettega.

he swung his boot at it like a pissed up peter cook with a 9 iron on BBC pro celebrity golf .it could have ended up in the silver surfers lap as he slingshots around neptune.

its early 70's Bob latchford look alike charlie upfront with wee elijah wood Zarate for me.

retire at the top bobby. And take niko flumpjar fishing with you

only the best from the captains table Ramsey, if you please.

[Post edited 18 Feb 2015 11:37]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 11:00 - Feb 18 with 2832 viewsJonDoeman

I'd play Taarabt, they love him up there!

It Is What It Is !!

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 11:26 - Feb 18 with 2747 viewsderbyhoop

Most of the team picks itself, IMO. Formation chosen will Influence the rest. I expect 4-4-1-1 or a variation.
Green, Isla, Caulked, Rio, Yun; Phillips, Barton, Henry, ??; ??; Austin.

We could play Niko, Adel or Traore on left of midfield 4.
In the number 10 role we could play any of Niko, Adel, Vargas, Zarate

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 2736 viewssimmo

Adel for Fer and Charlie for Zamora. We lose some of our threat from crosses with no Fer supporting attacks but it shouldn't matter if we just alter our approach a little.

Re-introducing Sandro will be the tricky one, harsh to drop Henry and barton been brilliant last few games. Leave him on the bench I reckon.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 12:15 - Feb 18 with 2625 viewsPinnerPaul

I'm not convinced Charlie will be fit
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 12:43 - Feb 18 with 2531 viewsJonDoeman

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 12:15 - Feb 18 by PinnerPaul

I'm not convinced Charlie will be fit

He's been in Dubai, maybe this little injury will be a blessing in disguise, freshen him up a bit. He'd gone off the boil, we need him to go on another streak if we're staying up!

It Is What It Is !!

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 13:11 - Feb 18 with 2453 viewsTacticalR

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 12:43 - Feb 18 by JonDoeman

He's been in Dubai, maybe this little injury will be a blessing in disguise, freshen him up a bit. He'd gone off the boil, we need him to go on another streak if we're staying up!

Not in the Dubai Tavern?

A big factor is whether Phillips can get those crosses in. They are tailor-made for Austin.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 13:51 - Feb 18 with 2324 viewsbaz_qpr

Adel in for Leroy, Charlie in for Bobby
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 15:13 - Feb 18 with 2188 viewsNorthernr

I think we'll go a different shape here as
1) We do now seem to actually pay attention to what sort of opponent we're facing.
and
2) Hull have gone back to the back three they used last year.

So little point doing what we did at Sunderland, where Fer was always spare in the middle behind a striker, because Fer is injured and also HUll crowd that area of the pitch with an extra centre back and an extra central midfielder. All the space and chances against Hull come in behind their wing backs and Newcastle battered them, particularly the Scottish lad on the left, when they won here a few weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-5-1, 4-3-3 type set up with Charlie alone up front but Phillips and Hoilett or Zarate on the extreme right and left with lots and lots of ball going wide early in moves. Phillips isolating and getting behind Van Aanholt was a big thing at Sunderland, and if he can do it to the same level this weekend we'll win.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 15:29 - Feb 18 with 2153 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 15:13 - Feb 18 by Northernr

1) We do now seem to actually pay attention to what sort of opponent we're facing.
and

So little point doing what we did at Sunderland, where Fer was always spare in the middle behind a striker, because Fer is injured and also HUll crowd that area of the pitch with an extra centre back and an extra central midfielder. All the space and chances against Hull come in behind their wing backs and Newcastle battered them, particularly the Scottish lad on the left, when they won here a few weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-5-1, 4-3-3 type set up with Charlie alone up front but Phillips and Hoilett or Zarate on the extreme right and left with lots and lots of ball going wide early in moves. Phillips isolating and getting behind Van Aanholt was a big thing at Sunderland, and if he can do it to the same level this weekend we'll win.

Very good analysis Clive.

Sure CR will know all that, not sure previous manager would have though!

Of course, we ARE QPR, so you just know , that now we actually have some hope of a decent performance, the reverse will happen!
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 15:34 - Feb 18 with 2134 viewsstrikerace

CR had Zarate in for Fer after his injury. Would not be surprised to see Zarate again, he looked pretty good in Fer's spot.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 16:01 - Feb 18 with 2091 viewsQPR_ARG

Clive obviously knows Hull City a lot more than I'll ever do and that was a great "scouting" post on them and how they play and how we can play to hurt them.

That said...with Fer out of the team, you need to play footballers who can be comfortable on the ball so other around them can get a breather every now and then and we can keep possession and break down their rhythm, slow things down a little. We have players like that in Adel and Mauro.

Fer was superb in doing this against Sunderland (also vs. Southampton albeit in a different position) and once we get a bit of the possession, we have a better time during matches. So, to me, this is regardless of which position Fer was being used or the replacement will be used. The important thing is to get the ball and use it to our advantage.

Anyway it goes, I know look at every single game with a bit of optimism. Before Ramsey arrived, I was feeling as defeatist as the manager we had in place. And I think so were the players.

VAMOS QPR! I can't wait for the next match. This is a very long break!
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 19:11 - Feb 18 with 1859 viewsBklynRanger

So based on Clive's steroid-fueled analysis I wouldn't mind seeing us try this:

Green
Isla Nedum(is he fit?) Caulker Yun(got to be fit now shirley?)
Barton Sandro Henry
Phillips Zarate (both out wide)
Austin

With Sandro mainly defensive but pushing forward as much as he can.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2015 19:12]
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 20:19 - Feb 18 with 1782 viewsbaz_qpr

and

No one to hold the ball up though. I think you have to play bobby or Adel in order to keep the ball
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 21:36 - Feb 18 with 1712 viewsNorthernr

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 20:19 - Feb 18 by baz_qpr

No one to hold the ball up though. I think you have to play bobby or Adel in order to keep the ball

Not the way we played at Sunderland - we very confidently held the ball in midfield by pressing high up the field and passing it. We didn't knock it long to Bobby, and when we did he didn't hold it particularly well - I thought he was poor until the goal.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 21:41 - Feb 18 with 1694 viewsqueensparker

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 21:36 - Feb 18 by Northernr

Not the way we played at Sunderland - we very confidently held the ball in midfield by pressing high up the field and passing it. We didn't knock it long to Bobby, and when we did he didn't hold it particularly well - I thought he was poor until the goal.

In fact, against Sunderland I though Fer ended up being the effective target man that far forward a la Fellaini - getting the high 50/50 balls from defence and giving them to the midfield to hold onto. It really looked like he'd found his position, which makes his injury so infuriating.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 21:42 - Feb 18 with 1692 viewsYorkRanger

and

There is a lot of smoke being blown up Phillips a@se currently. Seems maybe he was as short on confidence as many suspected. Will be interesting to see if he can perform again on Saturday....
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 22:41 - Feb 18 with 1596 viewsozranger

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 21:36 - Feb 18 by Northernr

And that, Clive, is the primary reason players like Fer did so well, in my opinion. We pressed (everywhere) and did so continuously during the game. Sunderland were badly caught out by it and thus we were able to take advantage and keep the ball in their half for most of the opening half hour. If we are pressing and winning the ball back in their half there will be less knocking the ball long to Bobby and thus less requirement for a tall player who can hold the ball up.

I think there is a different style of play, different tactics being presented by CR that see us more playing the ball on the ground and pushing to win it back at every opportunity. However, this of course leaves our delicate back line somewhat exposed as had been shown on more than one occasion at Sunderland. Missing Ned (and probably Dunne) really hurts.

Finally, and something still not mentioned, is Zamora's heading ability towards goal. He had a couple of decent chances at Sunderland and muffed them. Would Charlie have done better? I think we do need to swap Charlie in for Zamora. Yet, more than the heading ability, we need someone who can finish the delicate through balls into the box. That's his bread and butter. There's a lot of potential here but can it be unlocked?
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 23:03 - Feb 18 with 1561 viewsNorthernr

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 22:41 - Feb 18 by ozranger

And that, Clive, is the primary reason players like Fer did so well, in my opinion. We pressed (everywhere) and did so continuously during the game. Sunderland were badly caught out by it and thus we were able to take advantage and keep the ball in their half for most of the opening half hour. If we are pressing and winning the ball back in their half there will be less knocking the ball long to Bobby and thus less requirement for a tall player who can hold the ball up.

I think there is a different style of play, different tactics being presented by CR that see us more playing the ball on the ground and pushing to win it back at every opportunity. However, this of course leaves our delicate back line somewhat exposed as had been shown on more than one occasion at Sunderland. Missing Ned (and probably Dunne) really hurts.

Finally, and something still not mentioned, is Zamora's heading ability towards goal. He had a couple of decent chances at Sunderland and muffed them. Would Charlie have done better? I think we do need to swap Charlie in for Zamora. Yet, more than the heading ability, we need someone who can finish the delicate through balls into the box. That's his bread and butter. There's a lot of potential here but can it be unlocked?

I just think Zamora can hardly jump any more from what I can see. He doesn't win headers, he pins defenders reasonably well, although didn't even do that at Sunderland.
If we can replicate that high press, fast start, confidence and ball retention at Hull we'll win, they're worse than Sunderland.
Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 11:27 - Feb 19 with 1414 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie for Leroy or maybe not? on 23:03 - Feb 18 by Northernr

I just think Zamora can hardly jump any more from what I can see. He doesn't win headers, he pins defenders reasonably well, although didn't even do that at Sunderland.
If we can replicate that high press, fast start, confidence and ball retention at Hull we'll win, they're worse than Sunderland.

hopefully the crowd will be as impatient as Sunderland's were.

However I expect Hull have more realistic expectations and of course they won't have the stigma of being the first to lose to us at home - both of which may mean the crowd are not so quick to turn on the players if we start well.

Start REALLY well and score a couple and it won't matter what their crowd do of course!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024