Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spurs and Us 21:51 - Mar 24 with 1451 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Were Spurs once promoted to League Football at our expense? Maybe in 1908?

Something rattling around in my head...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Spurs and Us on 21:51 - Mar 24 with 1449 viewsloftboy

Yes they were

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Spurs and Us on 21:56 - Mar 24 with 1431 viewsQPRSteve

I think we finished as champions of the Southern League and actually resigned from it in expectation of being elected to the Football League. Spurs finished something like 10th but got in instead.
Spurs and Us on 22:13 - Mar 24 with 1412 viewsDannyPaddox

Spurs and Us on 21:56 - Mar 24 by QPRSteve

I think we finished as champions of the Southern League and actually resigned from it in expectation of being elected to the Football League. Spurs finished something like 10th but got in instead.

That’s about the essence of it There’s a big piece on it somewhere. Somewhere on the internet. Very detailed. I believe at the the time the Football League and The Southern League were on a par as in essence the Football League was really the Northern League. Nevertheless the Football League had the national prestige.

There’s also a theory in a parallel universe sort of way that if QPR had gone into the Football League in 1908, probably playing at that big ground on the Scrubs or Kensal Rise. They would have established themselves as a major London team when the sport was still evolving. However Spurs did instead. We could’ve have morphed into a bigger outfit, a West London Spurs, if you will, which sounds a bit like cough cough another team altogether cough Stamford Bridge cough. So from that angle maybe a good thing Spuds gazumped us.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 22:17]
Spurs and Us on 22:23 - Mar 24 with 1390 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This piece in the Grauniad reminded me of it. Sounds like Karma 1 Spurs 0.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2020/mar/24/when-

Spurs and Us on 22:30 - Mar 24 with 1381 viewsTacticalR

As Wenger would say, sometimes finishing seventh is a trophy:

1907—08 Southern Football League
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1907—08_Southern_Football_League

Air hostess clique

Spurs and Us on 22:33 - Mar 24 with 1378 viewsCamberleyR

1907-08 season, Spurs who finished 7th and Bradford Park Avenue (WTF were they doing in the Southern League??) who finished 13th (13th!) were elected to the Football League.

Obviously this was 80 years before direct promotion to the League and the election/re-election to the league process was a slightly shady business and the champions never automatically applied for election to the League it was left up to the clubs to decide.

Hereford United for example, when they got into the League in 1972, only finished second to Chelmsford City in the Southern League but applied for election and were successful probably partly due to their FA Cup exploits earlier in the year.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Spurs and Us on 22:41 - Mar 24 with 1365 viewsTacticalR

As champions of the Southern League QPR did get to play in the first Charity Shield in 1908:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_FA_Charity_Shield

Air hostess clique

Spurs and Us on 01:01 - Mar 25 with 1295 viewssmegma

Maybe a club employee could make disparaging remarks about Spurs but not mention them by name, I.e that club from north London. Then do video clips of us scoring against them and label it ' wash your hands to fight against corona virus in the time it takes to score goals against that team from north London'. Oh no , that's just like some some sad old bitter and twisted khunt from Brentford and shows a lack of class.

Btw apparently, he played some computer game on Brentfords website today and he had Brentford playing 'that team from Shepherds Bush'. Probably had those 6 fingered idiots from Hounslow drooling at the PC screens.
Login to get fewer ads

Spurs and Us on 01:56 - Mar 25 with 1273 viewsnadera78

We finished top that year, Spurs seventh, and both clubs wanted to apply to join the Football League. Supposedly both had been given the wink beforehand and, because the FL and SL were separate competitions, it was necessary to resign from the SL in order to apply to the FL. When the FL clubs voted on it, both QPR and Spurs were rejected. Both appealed, ours being unsuccessful but Spurs getting approved. There may (or may not) have been some dodgy dealings going on ahead of the second vote.

So QPR were forced to apply to re-join the SL, who accepted us, but in the meantime Spurs took most of our best players for their new adventure in the FL.
Spurs and Us on 03:17 - Mar 25 with 1261 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Spurs and Us on 01:56 - Mar 25 by nadera78

We finished top that year, Spurs seventh, and both clubs wanted to apply to join the Football League. Supposedly both had been given the wink beforehand and, because the FL and SL were separate competitions, it was necessary to resign from the SL in order to apply to the FL. When the FL clubs voted on it, both QPR and Spurs were rejected. Both appealed, ours being unsuccessful but Spurs getting approved. There may (or may not) have been some dodgy dealings going on ahead of the second vote.

So QPR were forced to apply to re-join the SL, who accepted us, but in the meantime Spurs took most of our best players for their new adventure in the FL.

I like how we’ve let this cool over the decades, and are now seeking revenge by taking all their players from them. It won’t be too long before we’re asking which Kane scored for the Rangers and cries of ‘go on my son’ will be a reference to the Korean bloke.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Spurs and Us on 07:38 - Mar 25 with 1161 viewsdenhamhoop2

I can remember chatting to one of our oldest supporters George and I asked which team he hated and he said Spurs and I asked why and he quoted because his Dad drummed it into him because of Spurs buying their way into the league
Spurs and Us on 08:38 - Mar 25 with 1090 viewsJuzzie

From what i recall we also had some big players from Villa, Wolves etc that were playing a good division or so below their ability. A bit like Fulham under Keegan in Div 3 when they were able to get good players that they otherwise wouldn’t have had if Keegan, Al Fayed etc not been there.

Had we got promoted I’m sure we would have kicked on to much bigger things as others have described but we didn’t and those players all left. We were consigned to 3rd tier football for another few decades before things started to improve mid sixties.
Spurs and Us on 08:38 - Mar 25 with 1089 viewskingo

Spurs and Us on 01:01 - Mar 25 by smegma

Maybe a club employee could make disparaging remarks about Spurs but not mention them by name, I.e that club from north London. Then do video clips of us scoring against them and label it ' wash your hands to fight against corona virus in the time it takes to score goals against that team from north London'. Oh no , that's just like some some sad old bitter and twisted khunt from Brentford and shows a lack of class.

Btw apparently, he played some computer game on Brentfords website today and he had Brentford playing 'that team from Shepherds Bush'. Probably had those 6 fingered idiots from Hounslow drooling at the PC screens.

Good thing is that Gilham is probably kicking his cat now as the virtual and mighty ‘team from Shepherds Bush’ beat his beloved team from the bus stop 4-1. Mass wailing and chanting of dirges could be heard from his minions in Hounslow.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Spurs and Us on 09:13 - Mar 25 with 1048 viewssmegma

Spurs and Us on 07:38 - Mar 25 by denhamhoop2

I can remember chatting to one of our oldest supporters George and I asked which team he hated and he said Spurs and I asked why and he quoted because his Dad drummed it into him because of Spurs buying their way into the league

George turns 90 in July. I hope this 'lockdown' is over for his party.
Spurs and Us on 09:32 - Mar 25 with 1016 viewsSir_Chops

Spurs and Us on 22:13 - Mar 24 by DannyPaddox

That’s about the essence of it There’s a big piece on it somewhere. Somewhere on the internet. Very detailed. I believe at the the time the Football League and The Southern League were on a par as in essence the Football League was really the Northern League. Nevertheless the Football League had the national prestige.

There’s also a theory in a parallel universe sort of way that if QPR had gone into the Football League in 1908, probably playing at that big ground on the Scrubs or Kensal Rise. They would have established themselves as a major London team when the sport was still evolving. However Spurs did instead. We could’ve have morphed into a bigger outfit, a West London Spurs, if you will, which sounds a bit like cough cough another team altogether cough Stamford Bridge cough. So from that angle maybe a good thing Spuds gazumped us.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 22:17]

Another bit of 'parallel universe' theory, but if that had happened and we'd become the Spurs of West London, chances are we'd still be playing in green and white hoops.

I recall reading somewhere the club changed from the green and white to blue and white because the traditional colours seemed to be bringing bad luck after a few poor seasons in the 1920s.
Spurs and Us on 10:01 - Mar 25 with 980 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Spurs and Us on 09:32 - Mar 25 by Sir_Chops

Another bit of 'parallel universe' theory, but if that had happened and we'd become the Spurs of West London, chances are we'd still be playing in green and white hoops.

I recall reading somewhere the club changed from the green and white to blue and white because the traditional colours seemed to be bringing bad luck after a few poor seasons in the 1920s.

The bad luck of the Irish! Apologies!

Spurs and Us on 10:26 - Mar 25 with 956 viewsterryb

The following seasson the Southern League did let us back in.

However, the fixtures has already been published, sow e had to play all of our matches midweek.

It has always amused me that Tottenham fans deride Arsenal for "gaining" promotion to the top division when it should have been them, but laugh about the events of 1908!
Spurs and Us on 10:26 - Mar 25 with 956 viewspeejaybee

Spurs and Us on 10:01 - Mar 25 by BrianMcCarthy

The bad luck of the Irish! Apologies!

The Irish have the good luck of yourself Brian and we had the Irish good luck of signing Don Givens,

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Spurs and Us on 11:25 - Mar 25 with 906 viewsTacticalR

Pictures of the 1907-08 team from Bushman:
https://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/21334/southern-league-champions-1907-seas

Air hostess clique

Spurs and Us on 13:35 - Mar 25 with 821 viewsJuzzie

Whilst I like being 'plucky little QPR' part of me wonders and wished just what may have happened had we been promoted instead of Spurs. They may have become like us now.

Of course I never want us to be a club like Chelsea but with a 60k stadium with its own station and the potential to attract top players, why not become a club that could stand it's own in the top 10 of the top flight. Pushing for the title or Europe every now and then, getting to latter stages of cups, maybe even win the occasional one here and there.

Fukin' Spurs!
Spurs and Us on 14:17 - Mar 25 with 778 viewsQPRSteve

Jimmy Greaves punching the ball into the net in our first season in the top flight.

Nobbling Clive Allen in the FA Cup Final.

More reasons to detest the cheating barstewards,
Spurs and Us on 14:57 - Mar 25 with 737 viewsTheChef

Our 7 year old has a slightly irrational dislike of Spurs, but obviously he knows more than I do!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024