Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plastic 22:48 - May 3 with 2652 viewsqpr_1968

did everyone enjoy the plastic pitch.
must say there was a few classics on it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Plastic on 22:57 - May 3 with 1983 viewsjohncharles

Before anyone criticises the Omniturf do you remember the state of the pitch before ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Plastic on 09:26 - May 4 with 1842 viewsMrSheen

Good and bad, often in the same game. There would be some dazzling spells of high-speed tiki-taka, almost like ice hockey, then dismal spells when the ball would be out of play half of the time. The 80s were the high point of POMO football - Watford, Wimbledon, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham City - so you would see a lot of punting to the corners that bounced straight out. The grass was terrible before, and even worse for the couple of seasons after, but Omniturf wasn't good enough, let's be honest. Surprisingly, we didn't see many of the events promised - the McGuigan fight and a few weeks with an evangelist, and that was about it.
Plastic on 09:32 - May 4 with 1836 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was a bit young but what I remember most was the bounce.

I didn't realise Oldam got to the old Division 1 on one.
Joe Royale's descripion of ours sounds about right.They had the advanced European Version we lay ours on a bit of concrete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29894478
[Post edited 4 May 2021 9:35]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Plastic on 09:34 - May 4 with 1831 viewsloftus77

Plastic on 22:57 - May 3 by johncharles

Before anyone criticises the Omniturf do you remember the state of the pitch before ?

This - many examples - but the one that summed it up (and was mentioned on here recently) was the 6-1 FA Cup replay win against West Ham in 1978 (?). If anyone has a link of that, you'll see the mud-bath problem that bedevilled the Loftus Road winter for years.

Makes you realise what great players Stan, Gerry, Tony Currie et al were to play the way they did on that 'surface'.
Plastic on 09:44 - May 4 with 1805 viewsCamberleyR

The guy being interviewed on Nationwide, the director of Omnisport, is the old BBC tennis commentator John Barrett.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 9:46]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Plastic on 09:52 - May 4 with 1769 viewswood_hoop

If my memory ain;t completly shot, didn't they get a load of prisoners from the Scrubs to clear a snow filled pitch ?
Plastic on 10:16 - May 4 with 1726 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I always try and make that point as it was a shocker. Only Derby troubles us for the title of worst pitch I recall.
Plastic on 10:18 - May 4 with 1723 viewsstowmarketrange

I played in goal on it towards the end of the last season we had it,and it was horrible.It was rock hard and awful to dive on.Just outside the penalty area at the loft end there was a strip that had been repaired and it was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the rest.
I didn’t enjoy playing on it so god knows how professional players felt,especially players from the opposition who only played on it once or twice a year.
Login to get fewer ads

Plastic on 10:25 - May 4 with 1709 viewsTacticalR

Plastic on 09:32 - May 4 by Metallica_Hoop

I was a bit young but what I remember most was the bounce.

I didn't realise Oldam got to the old Division 1 on one.
Joe Royale's descripion of ours sounds about right.They had the advanced European Version we lay ours on a bit of concrete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29894478
[Post edited 4 May 2021 9:35]

'It also smarted, with players who fell on the surface often suffering carpet burns.'

Air hostess clique

Plastic on 11:16 - May 4 with 1643 viewsCamberleyR

Plastic on 10:16 - May 4 by CroydonCaptJack

I always try and make that point as it was a shocker. Only Derby troubles us for the title of worst pitch I recall.

The pitch at the SW6 cesspit in those days was atrocious. I've just finished watching the 1976/77 Big Match Revisited on ITV Hub and towards the end of that season because the filth were eventually to get promoted from the second division, they were showing quite a few of their games.

Down the middle of the pitch from one goal mouth to the other was a grass free zone. Here's an example (apologies in advance):

The pitch where Robbo scored from the halfway line was also a shocker:

The City Ground was also pretty bad.

Plastic on 11:25 - May 4 with 1619 viewsW6R

Plastic on 09:34 - May 4 by loftus77

This - many examples - but the one that summed it up (and was mentioned on here recently) was the 6-1 FA Cup replay win against West Ham in 1978 (?). If anyone has a link of that, you'll see the mud-bath problem that bedevilled the Loftus Road winter for years.

Makes you realise what great players Stan, Gerry, Tony Currie et al were to play the way they did on that 'surface'.

And didn’t West Ham take the lead.
Plastic on 13:45 - May 4 with 1543 viewsenfieldargh

Plastic on 11:25 - May 4 by W6R

And didn’t West Ham take the lead.

Pop Robson scored first sure it was at the Loft End.

One of my all time favourite games, Buzza geting 2 goals and centre back Howe & Abbott!!!

Would love to see this game again

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Plastic on 13:52 - May 4 with 1536 viewsHayesender

My first game was 81/82 season vs Rotherham (Gerry Francis last game apparently but I've very little memory of it, other than it was a draw).

So for purley on nostalgia, I loved it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Plastic on 13:58 - May 4 with 1522 viewsstowmarketrange

Plastic on 13:45 - May 4 by enfieldargh

Pop Robson scored first sure it was at the Loft End.

One of my all time favourite games, Buzza geting 2 goals and centre back Howe & Abbott!!!

Would love to see this game again

I watched it from the middle of the loft,and as each goal went in we got pushed further and further towards the paddocks by West Ham fans who took exception to our celebrations.I think I was almost at the corner flag by the 6th goal.
Plastic on 14:52 - May 4 with 1443 viewsBoston

It was said that Carlisle Utd had the best playing surface in the country at that time. Wembley’s was top notch and they supposedly had the turf shipped down from Cumbria, though I’d have thought drainage was just as important.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Plastic on 15:07 - May 4 with 1414 viewsjohncharles

An added bonus of Omniturf was watching opposition players and managers whinging and moaning about the bounce when they got beat at Loftus Road. Dalglish took it very badly 🤣🤣🤣
[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:08]

Strong and stable my arse.

Plastic on 15:12 - May 4 with 1407 viewsCamberleyR

Plastic on 14:52 - May 4 by Boston

It was said that Carlisle Utd had the best playing surface in the country at that time. Wembley’s was top notch and they supposedly had the turf shipped down from Cumbria, though I’d have thought drainage was just as important.

Wembley's was top notch apart from a few years in the late 60s and early 70s when they staged the Horse of the Year show and there. Then it resembled a quagmire, particularly in late February when the League Cup final was played.

1969 League Cup Final

1970 LC Final

1970 FA Cup Final

Plastic on 15:39 - May 4 with 1377 viewsMrSheen

Plastic on 15:12 - May 4 by CamberleyR

Wembley's was top notch apart from a few years in the late 60s and early 70s when they staged the Horse of the Year show and there. Then it resembled a quagmire, particularly in late February when the League Cup final was played.

1969 League Cup Final

1970 LC Final

1970 FA Cup Final

Wembley was rough for a few years after it reopened, not helped by American football.

1968 Challenge Cup Final!

[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:45]
Plastic on 15:46 - May 4 with 1356 viewsTacticalR

Horses and Americans.

Air hostess clique

Plastic on 15:51 - May 4 with 1342 viewsCamberleyR

Plastic on 15:39 - May 4 by MrSheen

Wembley was rough for a few years after it reopened, not helped by American football.

1968 Challenge Cup Final!

[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:45]

Was that the final where the guy missed a conversion to win the game right in front of the posts bang on the final whistle?
[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:51]

Plastic on 16:00 - May 4 with 1313 viewsSott

I was a kid then but I'm sure I remember the placy pitch stank when it rained
Plastic on 16:17 - May 4 with 1272 viewsEsox_Lucius

Does anyone remember a trip to Highfield Road after Coventry had got through to the FA Cup final against Spuds? The pitch was so bereft of grass that the R's fans started mocking the home fans near us which inspired Ian Dawes to run to the opposite corner of the pitch and return clutching a few blades of grass he had found to show us we were wrong.

The grass is always greener.

Plastic on 16:23 - May 4 with 1262 viewsMrSheen

Plastic on 15:51 - May 4 by CamberleyR

Was that the final where the guy missed a conversion to win the game right in front of the posts bang on the final whistle?
[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:51]

That's the one! And he kicked one from the touchline earlier.

Started in sunshine, too.
Plastic on 16:36 - May 4 with 1234 viewsbosh67

This. It was a great improvement on the ploughed field in Siberia it was before it was laid. I played on it a number of times and really enjoyed it. Yes, you had to get used to the bounce but once you adapted it was good. You could ping a decent ball around on it and as long as you remembered to put a little more back spin on it than usual.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Plastic on 16:40 - May 4 with 1228 viewsderbyhoop

Lawrenson, part of the great Liverpool side of the time said "I don't give a SOD about the pitch".

And it was dreadful before we installed the plastic.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024