Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
stewards 23:47 - Dec 8 with 3018 viewsdigswellhoop

im watching sky about stewards at games if i was one eg at Wembley stadium and a thug came at me with a wepon and um not getting paid or any well dones then my family means more than football
stewards on 00:19 - Dec 9 with 2964 viewsnix

No one is blaming the stewards but the planning for the match was very poor. There should have been far more police involved and a better strategy to make sure this couldn't happen.
stewards on 08:58 - Dec 9 with 2779 viewsdanehoop

I used to steward at Wembley in the eighties. Football was often a really grim one, especially if you were on the turnstiles and concourse. Remember a lovely bunch of scousers in 1985 demand that I let them in a fire exit or they will "stab my eyes at one of the cup finals." Lovely people.

Internationals were usually the worst

Never knowingly understood

stewards on 10:36 - Dec 9 with 2667 viewsJuzzie

The final was a farce. The warning signs were already there in the semi's and quarters.

Best way to avoid it was to make all 90,000 tickets available. 60,000 or 90,000 people at the ground, what's the friggin' difference when everyone are pouring in on buses, tubes, trains, walking down Wembley Way, queuing to get in, getting food & drinks and so on.

When people think there's potentially 30,000 empty seats no wonder tens of thousands of more people turned up ticketless. If all 90k had been sold I doubt that would have happened.
stewards on 10:50 - Dec 9 with 2636 viewsNorthernr

Isn't one of the problems here that stewarding has become one of those jobs that's just staffed by the lowest wage temps they can find? I'm sure it was always like that to a degree but I remember back in the day we had permanent club stewards, or at least I thought we did?

Now you're staffing big global events, at a time of a pandemic, with £6 an hour temps. They don't give a sht, and I don't blame them for that. The bag checks at Loftus Road are an absolute joke, they basically don't exist. And that's fine until somebody takes a gun or a knife or worse in there. They're not going to put themselves in harm's way, why on earth would you, and that's fine until it kicks off. If you were a steward at Wembley would you have got in the way of that lot?

It's a pretty safety criticial job, particularly at big matches, and at this time of pandemic, and yet it's staffed either in the same way as the tills at a Tesco Metro, or by agencies of hired goons (Elland Road, Old Trafford) who just hire meathead cnts who are just in it for a fight and cause more problems than they solve.
stewards on 11:01 - Dec 9 with 2607 viewscolinallcars

Yes, we probably had our own stewards, turnstile attendants etc like most businesses. Then came the dreaded “outsourcing” in the 80s and the notorious TUPE. Like many I was outsourced a few times then and wound up working for a crap company and soon resigned. Everything apart from the core business sections were outsourced - it started with catering and swiftly on to security, post, transport, cleaning, stationery, repro and even IT.
stewards on 11:40 - Dec 9 with 2559 viewsOakR

Let's be clear, the real problem here are the people who rushed the gates, and disabled ones at that it appears for some.

I'm not sure how you stop it - a huge police presence (and cost), diverting the police from other tasks would be one option.

I don't think this can really work at Wembley, but the other way migth be a better external check near the ground for tickets a bit before you get to the gate.

When I worked at England games 20 or so years ago, it seemed to me you havd 'normal stewards' at Wembley (check tickets, direct people etc eg like thetre ushes) and then some teams wh owere more trained and likely better paid who were there to remove people / deal with more aggresive situations (admitedly based on one incident).

At away games I saw the gates rushed many times by England fans, sometimes succesfully, sometimes not, with vastly differing policing reactions, a number of which were note great for normal fans trying to get in. Not sure how much it still happens away now.

But it's not the first time or last time this will happen, it was just on a bigger scale and on TV. I'm not sure there is a great solution to this, you can double to triple stewards pay, the reality is it will be a scary situation for most so I think you need more actual p[hysical barriers people can't push through en masse as such.

Poll: Will we stay up?

stewards on 12:27 - Dec 9 with 2475 viewsGeorgeKulscar

One solution would be to increase ticket prices, on the provision that it will be used to fund better, full time stewards and also improving issues like the catering etc. that have had so much criticism this season.

I'd imagine that you'd then have lots of complaints from fans about this, and risk pricing out potential new supporters. Given the fact that we operate at a loss, this is an almost impossible one for the club to solve.

As an aside, I met an American on the weekend who has been going to all the different london clubs. His experience of going to QPR was that the ticket was way too expensive for a bad view and not great atmosphere. Then again he seemed to enjoy the new, big grounds, like Tottenham and Arsenal, so QPR was never going to be the one for him.
stewards on 14:40 - Dec 9 with 2344 viewsJuzzie

stewards on 12:27 - Dec 9 by GeorgeKulscar

One solution would be to increase ticket prices, on the provision that it will be used to fund better, full time stewards and also improving issues like the catering etc. that have had so much criticism this season.

I'd imagine that you'd then have lots of complaints from fans about this, and risk pricing out potential new supporters. Given the fact that we operate at a loss, this is an almost impossible one for the club to solve.

As an aside, I met an American on the weekend who has been going to all the different london clubs. His experience of going to QPR was that the ticket was way too expensive for a bad view and not great atmosphere. Then again he seemed to enjoy the new, big grounds, like Tottenham and Arsenal, so QPR was never going to be the one for him.

Why should fans yet again bear the burden?

Rather than increasing already insane ticket prices, how about players don't get paid £70,000 per week. I'm sure they could survive on a mere £60,000 per week and the £4,000,000 per year saved (across all the PL clubs) would cover the extra needed to give stewards better salaries
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 14:47]
Login to get fewer ads

stewards on 15:05 - Dec 9 with 2273 viewstoboboly

stewards on 14:40 - Dec 9 by Juzzie

Rather than increasing already insane ticket prices, how about players don't get paid £70,000 per week. I'm sure they could survive on a mere £60,000 per week and the £4,000,000 per year saved (across all the PL clubs) would cover the extra needed to give stewards better salaries

That's dangerous regulator talk there...

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

stewards on 15:08 - Dec 9 with 2286 viewsthemodfather

ha, my favourites, stewards! most are not interested in being there, either at a footy match or gig, they wear that over sized orange coat and hate it, you and everything, we once used to hire within the fan base, so you knew a few of em, if they are moved about, you dont see a familiar face . anyway some can be very aggressive, even start an incident to call their "heavy mob" to drag someone out, one fella was taken from SAR cos he said " i cant hear you, can you repeat the question" feeling upset they got more stewards, he happily went down, minutes later a small army of hivis and then police came , he was ejected yet did little wrong. now many fans are not saints and i accept that but grounds were better with police insode, but clubs wont pay. oh and remember that lot brought down from manchester, with the black gloves?? they punch ups they started around the blue and white bar!
as for wembley, some were putting id and uniform on ebay, so where do you go with that? now the media could have reported DON;T COME TO THE AREA without tickets iit;'s over crowded and al that, did they? no as no story.
stewards on 15:20 - Dec 9 with 2265 viewsaston_hoop

I went to see Real Zaragoza a couple of weeks ago in the Spanish equivalent of the Championship and they took a purely optional approach to stewarding. I scanned my ticket at an empty turnstile, entered with my backpack and not an official around to search me. Couple of blokes sitting near me were very wise to this as they'd brought in a backpack full of cans and enjoyed a lovely little drinking session throughout. That can only go badly wrong one day

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

stewards on 16:18 - Dec 9 with 2177 viewsJuzzie

stewards on 15:05 - Dec 9 by toboboly

That's dangerous regulator talk there...

I don't even know what that means lol!
stewards on 16:51 - Dec 9 with 2112 viewsSK_hoops

stewards on 12:27 - Dec 9 by GeorgeKulscar

I can never get neutral mates to HQ. Around £33.50 is a lot to expect someone who is not that invested to pay.
stewards on 17:33 - Dec 9 with 2052 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

stewards on 10:50 - Dec 9 by Northernr

Isn't one of the problems here that stewarding has become one of those jobs that's just staffed by the lowest wage temps they can find? I'm sure it was always like that to a degree but I remember back in the day we had permanent club stewards, or at least I thought we did?

Now you're staffing big global events, at a time of a pandemic, with £6 an hour temps. They don't give a sht, and I don't blame them for that. The bag checks at Loftus Road are an absolute joke, they basically don't exist. And that's fine until somebody takes a gun or a knife or worse in there. They're not going to put themselves in harm's way, why on earth would you, and that's fine until it kicks off. If you were a steward at Wembley would you have got in the way of that lot?

It's a pretty safety criticial job, particularly at big matches, and at this time of pandemic, and yet it's staffed either in the same way as the tills at a Tesco Metro, or by agencies of hired goons (Elland Road, Old Trafford) who just hire meathead cnts who are just in it for a fight and cause more problems than they solve.

We had the same steward in the same block in Upper Loft for about six years running pre Premiership.

We sit just above the steps so was always chatting with him. He was a QPR fan, knew how to talk to people properly when they didn’t behave and didn’t get in People’s view. Clearly just there for the Rs but was decent with it too.

One day he disappeared and was replaced with a minimum wage teenager who just didn’t get it and used to be heavy handed and stand in People’s view.

Saw the original fella at a Away game and he told us they just outsourced the contract to some security dickheads and he just had enough with how he was treated.

If they can outsource it, they will.
stewards on 17:35 - Dec 9 with 2047 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

stewards on 11:40 - Dec 9 by OakR

Let's be clear, the real problem here are the people who rushed the gates, and disabled ones at that it appears for some.

I'm not sure how you stop it - a huge police presence (and cost), diverting the police from other tasks would be one option.

I don't think this can really work at Wembley, but the other way migth be a better external check near the ground for tickets a bit before you get to the gate.

When I worked at England games 20 or so years ago, it seemed to me you havd 'normal stewards' at Wembley (check tickets, direct people etc eg like thetre ushes) and then some teams wh owere more trained and likely better paid who were there to remove people / deal with more aggresive situations (admitedly based on one incident).

At away games I saw the gates rushed many times by England fans, sometimes succesfully, sometimes not, with vastly differing policing reactions, a number of which were note great for normal fans trying to get in. Not sure how much it still happens away now.

But it's not the first time or last time this will happen, it was just on a bigger scale and on TV. I'm not sure there is a great solution to this, you can double to triple stewards pay, the reality is it will be a scary situation for most so I think you need more actual p[hysical barriers people can't push through en masse as such.

I think the ‘fans’ who rushed the gates are the symptom not the cause of modern football, and probably society.
stewards on 17:36 - Dec 9 with 2041 viewspaulhoop2

QPR do have “internal” or “in-house” stewards. It’s a common misconception that they don’t. There are a number of in-house SIA teams mainly in the away end. Also the senior management team would be internal. There are more agency stewards within the ground though. Also hospitality / tunnel / turnstiles are all in-house. The 80s early 90s there were more but most decided to leave. Thing is it’s cheaper to contract an agency as there are no NI / Tax / insurance liabilities plus the agencies have a vast database of staff more then the club would have. Long as you have an NVQ in spectator safety there is no Need for an SIA license if working direct I never understand why more fans don’t apply especially with the argument of stewards not understanding fans etc. like many I’ve had bad experiences throughout the country but there are some good places. I thought Peterborough was dangerous after what I experienced lack of effective stewarding but at Derby I personally experienced good stewarding.

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

stewards on 17:53 - Dec 9 with 2017 viewsstowmarketrange

stewards on 17:33 - Dec 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

We had the same steward in the same block in Upper Loft for about six years running pre Premiership.

We sit just above the steps so was always chatting with him. He was a QPR fan, knew how to talk to people properly when they didn’t behave and didn’t get in People’s view. Clearly just there for the Rs but was decent with it too.

One day he disappeared and was replaced with a minimum wage teenager who just didn’t get it and used to be heavy handed and stand in People’s view.

Saw the original fella at a Away game and he told us they just outsourced the contract to some security dickheads and he just had enough with how he was treated.

If they can outsource it, they will.

We had a steward in front of us in ML on Sunday.He kept telling everyone to sit down when we were attacking towards our end in the 2nd half.He never stood a chance of winning that battle.
stewards on 10:05 - Dec 10 with 1649 viewsBostonR

I think something much more sinister was at play in the way the final was handled.

It was clear that once Eng made the final, there was going to a huge invasion of London. I cannot believe for one moment the Police and intelligence agencies, did not see it. Social media was awash with fan's intentions and on the morning of the final TV crews were filming hordes of fans heading towards the capital.

For whatever reason (I think politically) the Met abandoned their posts and left Wembley and the FA to their own fate. There is no real working relationship between the Met leadership and the Home Office, given Police cuts and the monumental tasks the government is asking of the Police, especially in London.

The event needed a huge-scale attendance of law enforcement, clear messaging on how anti-social behaviour, would be handled and a half-mile exclusion zone around the stadium (which could have been easily implemented). For whatever reason the fans attending, the FA stewards and locals, were left to the mercies of an alcohol and drug-fuelled mob.

Did the Met leadership send the Home Office a clear message that without us and in current circumstances law and order breaks-down very easily. In my view, football fans and the FA were a free-hit!

The report on the incident is a whitewash. In time, hopefully a journalist will unravel what went on because something did.
stewards on 10:43 - Dec 10 with 1606 viewsGeorgeKulscar

stewards on 14:40 - Dec 9 by Juzzie

Agree in theory about rebalancing money in the game...but to do something like you would need to have a consensus across all clubs in the league and let's face it ticket prices and fan safety isnt exactly going to be the number one priority, especially for the big teams.

When I first started going to Loftus Road in the 90s we had the same steward in the paddocks for at least 5 years, it definitely makes a difference. Then again, the paddocks are hardly the most difficult place to steward in the ground.
stewards on 13:22 - Dec 10 with 1478 viewsBoston

The only steward interaction I’ve experienced, barring being pointed in the general direction of a seat or the bogs, was at Portman Rd a couple of years ago. Great bloke, even gave me a match programme, no charge.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

stewards on 13:50 - Dec 10 with 1436 viewsslmrstid

stewards on 13:22 - Dec 10 by Boston

The only steward interaction I’ve experienced, barring being pointed in the general direction of a seat or the bogs, was at Portman Rd a couple of years ago. Great bloke, even gave me a match programme, no charge.

I made friends with a steward at Forest over the course of about 3 seasons. He was a Forest fan who had got himself a job as a steward, and then drew the short straw of having to deal with away fans. Ended up getting friendly with him because he was a fellow runner so I always ended up talking about athletics and the various local events we both took part in. He was always very friendly to us, and didn't rub it in too much the year they wallopped us 4-0 when Warbs was their boss.

When we drew 1-1 under JFH (Sylla scored, and I think JFH was sacked not long after?) some coked up meathead idiots were kicking off and starting assaulting the steward. Big gob me asked them to calm down as they were blocking our view of the game, and also assaulting someone, so they just started on me instead.

God bless our travelling support.

Haven't seen the guy for the last couple of visits now, guess he either doesn't work there anymore.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 13:51]
stewards on 13:59 - Dec 10 with 1422 viewsstowmarketrange

stewards on 13:50 - Dec 10 by slmrstid

I made friends with a steward at Forest over the course of about 3 seasons. He was a Forest fan who had got himself a job as a steward, and then drew the short straw of having to deal with away fans. Ended up getting friendly with him because he was a fellow runner so I always ended up talking about athletics and the various local events we both took part in. He was always very friendly to us, and didn't rub it in too much the year they wallopped us 4-0 when Warbs was their boss.

When we drew 1-1 under JFH (Sylla scored, and I think JFH was sacked not long after?) some coked up meathead idiots were kicking off and starting assaulting the steward. Big gob me asked them to calm down as they were blocking our view of the game, and also assaulting someone, so they just started on me instead.

God bless our travelling support.

Haven't seen the guy for the last couple of visits now, guess he either doesn't work there anymore.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 13:51]

There was a steward at Sunderland who was only doing the job because he wanted to celebrate with the away fans when they won.He was a Geordie,so I guess it was a win win situation for him when it happened.
stewards on 14:24 - Dec 10 with 1392 viewsNorthernr

stewards on 17:36 - Dec 9 by paulhoop2

QPR do have “internal” or “in-house” stewards. It’s a common misconception that they don’t. There are a number of in-house SIA teams mainly in the away end. Also the senior management team would be internal. There are more agency stewards within the ground though. Also hospitality / tunnel / turnstiles are all in-house. The 80s early 90s there were more but most decided to leave. Thing is it’s cheaper to contract an agency as there are no NI / Tax / insurance liabilities plus the agencies have a vast database of staff more then the club would have. Long as you have an NVQ in spectator safety there is no Need for an SIA license if working direct I never understand why more fans don’t apply especially with the argument of stewards not understanding fans etc. like many I’ve had bad experiences throughout the country but there are some good places. I thought Peterborough was dangerous after what I experienced lack of effective stewarding but at Derby I personally experienced good stewarding.

Yeh Hoos said in interview with us they'd actually got quite good at recruiting and retaining their own stewards pre-pandemic, but those efforts have since been dashed by...

- people not wanting to work in crowds
- european workers going home and not coming back
- people who worked Euro 2020 vowing never to do the work again
stewards on 21:29 - Dec 11 with 1075 viewsdigswellhoop

if qpr have fans as stewards then my experience at a match day when thugs were throne out of one stand and tried to take mt seat i reported it to a steward he did nothing so i dont go to matches anymore
stewards on 09:42 - Dec 12 with 934 viewsbollockchops

stewards on 10:05 - Dec 10 by BostonR

I think something much more sinister was at play in the way the final was handled.

It was clear that once Eng made the final, there was going to a huge invasion of London. I cannot believe for one moment the Police and intelligence agencies, did not see it. Social media was awash with fan's intentions and on the morning of the final TV crews were filming hordes of fans heading towards the capital.

For whatever reason (I think politically) the Met abandoned their posts and left Wembley and the FA to their own fate. There is no real working relationship between the Met leadership and the Home Office, given Police cuts and the monumental tasks the government is asking of the Police, especially in London.

The event needed a huge-scale attendance of law enforcement, clear messaging on how anti-social behaviour, would be handled and a half-mile exclusion zone around the stadium (which could have been easily implemented). For whatever reason the fans attending, the FA stewards and locals, were left to the mercies of an alcohol and drug-fuelled mob.

Did the Met leadership send the Home Office a clear message that without us and in current circumstances law and order breaks-down very easily. In my view, football fans and the FA were a free-hit!

The report on the incident is a whitewash. In time, hopefully a journalist will unravel what went on because something did.

i was there and i didnt see any police the whole day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024