Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine question re Cup competitions 17:11 - Jan 7 with 2682 viewsdmm

I realise this is probably the wrong time for this question as most will want to vent the frustrations of yet another FA cup 3rd round exit, but anyway......

Why have we performed so badly in cup competitions for so long? I'm at a complete loss to understand why.

Perhaps there's no single answer but it's gone on for so long now that there must be something endemic within QPR that can be identified.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:18 - Jan 7 with 2596 viewsRsinWales

Sometimes it seems as if we just don't care. In recent years, I have this sense that the players are told the league is all that really matters and we make a half-hearted effort. For some time it has seemed that there are no repercussions for poor cup performances.

Maybe that would make more sense if we were fighting at the top or bottom of the table, but that doesn't figure in today's performance.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:22 - Jan 7 with 2569 viewsSK_hoops

We had a cup run last season, but it felt like a massive anomaly.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:53 - Jan 7 with 2436 viewsPaddyhoops

We’ve been shit for quite a long time now.
Not good enough even if it hurts to say that!
That’s the main reason.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:57 - Jan 7 with 2395 viewsLblock

We should count ourselves lucky.

When Man Utd didn’t compete in it and went off to the Club World Cup they got fined.
We’ve managed to avoid competing in cups for 30 years and not yet fined

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:00 - Jan 7 with 2377 viewsManinBlack

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:22 - Jan 7 by SK_hoops

We had a cup run last season, but it felt like a massive anomaly.

Yes but as usual it was ended by a league 1 side.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:16 - Jan 7 with 2322 viewsLogman

One of the reasons is because we are not adaptable. When you play a lower League team it is obvious that they are not going to play as much triangular football and they are going to employ more direct tactics. But we never prepare for that eventuality. It's quite bizarre really. We just go on playing our game and wonder why we have gone out year after year when a lower League team has chased us down and caught us out.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:53 - Jan 7 with 2203 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 17:57 - Jan 7 by Lblock

We should count ourselves lucky.

When Man Utd didn’t compete in it and went off to the Club World Cup they got fined.
We’ve managed to avoid competing in cups for 30 years and not yet fined

Made me smile.

I'm oddly numb about today. I mean, let's call it straight - it's an absolute disgrace that we've disrespected another cup competition and our club and all for the umpteenth time, but after so many years of anger I must be immunising myself about it because today I expected nothing at all and now I feel nothing at all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:40 - Jan 7 with 2144 viewsRuislipHoop

Do we now think”Snake eyes” saw the writing on the wall ??
Login to get fewer ads

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:45 - Jan 7 with 2123 viewsBushRanger82

We have prioritised league over cup games.

And we have done it so well, we are garnering a reputation as being the easiest pushovers any other club could draw in a cup competition. Whether it be Premier league, championship, league 1, league 2, non-league, we are every one of those clubs dream draw.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:51 - Jan 7 with 2096 viewsManinBlack

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:45 - Jan 7 by BushRanger82

We have prioritised league over cup games.

And we have done it so well, we are garnering a reputation as being the easiest pushovers any other club could draw in a cup competition. Whether it be Premier league, championship, league 1, league 2, non-league, we are every one of those clubs dream draw.

Indeed. Fleetwood have only been a league side for 6/7 years and today was their greatest ever cup win getting past the third round.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:55 - Jan 7 with 2087 viewsMick_S

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:53 - Jan 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Made me smile.

I'm oddly numb about today. I mean, let's call it straight - it's an absolute disgrace that we've disrespected another cup competition and our club and all for the umpteenth time, but after so many years of anger I must be immunising myself about it because today I expected nothing at all and now I feel nothing at all.

That’s how I’m feeling at the moment, Brian. I think it may be a bit different tomorrow and in the coming days. I think we need to hear from the club about this, because enough is enough. This isn’t random, it’s what happens. I would have hated to have travelled to see that today.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 20:00 - Jan 7 with 2070 viewsdmm

Given decades long failures in cup competitions, you'd have thought the whole club would move heaven and earth to put it right. It feels like it will take the whole club putting in a massive effort to break this bizarre and embarrassing run, from the board to management to players and supporters.

It's intolerable and has to stop.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 20:01 - Jan 7 with 2066 viewsLadbrokeR

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 19:51 - Jan 7 by ManinBlack

Indeed. Fleetwood have only been a league side for 6/7 years and today was their greatest ever cup win getting past the third round.

Hardly it’s against us
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 20:03 - Jan 7 with 2054 viewsCamberleyR

We've always been shit in the FA Cup bar 1982 which increasingly is looking like a tear in the space time continuum. If we are playing up north especially, forget it. If you look up "southern softies" in the dictionary it says "QPR"

For three successive seasons in the FA Cup in the early mid 80s when we had a team miles better than the current players who shame the hoops, we lost up north away from home in the 3rd round to second division Huddersfield, third division Doncaster and second and soon to be third division Carlisle.

Even in 93/94 when we had Ferdinand, Wilkins, Sinclair, Peacock, Bardsley et al we lost to third tier Stockport County in the 3rd round, a game I had the misfortune to attend.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 8:49]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 23:57 - Jan 7 with 1890 viewsloftboy

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 20:03 - Jan 7 by CamberleyR

We've always been shit in the FA Cup bar 1982 which increasingly is looking like a tear in the space time continuum. If we are playing up north especially, forget it. If you look up "southern softies" in the dictionary it says "QPR"

For three successive seasons in the FA Cup in the early mid 80s when we had a team miles better than the current players who shame the hoops, we lost up north away from home in the 3rd round to second division Huddersfield, third division Doncaster and second and soon to be third division Carlisle.

Even in 93/94 when we had Ferdinand, Wilkins, Sinclair, Peacock, Bardsley et al we lost to third tier Stockport County in the 3rd round, a game I had the misfortune to attend.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 8:49]

And 2nd division Leeds in 87

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 08:45 - Jan 8 with 1754 viewsCamberleyR

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 23:57 - Jan 7 by loftboy

Yes, forgot that one although we at least for once did get past the 3rd round that year and made it to the 5th.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 8:50]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 09:47 - Jan 8 with 1668 viewsthemodfather

THE cup , the fa cup was what every kid dreamed of, a dup run, excitement bbc and itv gave the whole final day to progs and the game, it was a huge build up, now it is a sad pathetic sideshow , not wanted by the big clubs until the semi finals.
the prize money is not huge , i think £1m then the clubs have to earn thru shirts and merchandise .
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 10:34 - Jan 8 with 1630 viewsswitchingcode

Ok a piss poor performance but at least you respected the cup by starting a full strength team unlike others who basically fielded a reserve side.Disgraceful
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 10:42 - Jan 8 with 1607 viewsPinnerPaul

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 10:34 - Jan 8 by switchingcode

Ok a piss poor performance but at least you respected the cup by starting a full strength team unlike others who basically fielded a reserve side.Disgraceful

Good point.

Always, well nearly always , good to get a perspective from outside our bubble.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 12:58 - Jan 8 with 1510 viewsDannyPaddox

Yesterday was another shit-show/ horrorshow/ no-show/ all of the above but in the past 5 years our Cup form hasn’t been all bad.

In both competitions in 10 attempts to get past the first hurdle we have been successful 6 times. There were two notable ‘Cup Runs’ (yes really) coming close to the QF of the FA Cup in 2019 and beating cheated out of a League Cup QF place in 2022 by Slim Stroudy esq. That run even included beating a team from that league above us. And who can forget the glorious 5-1 demolition of Swansea in 2020. What was telling about that game however was a crowd of only 6k turned up, so weary and disillusioned were Rs fans with the previous decades of Cup dross. I think we’d already pipped Plymouth for most 3rd around exits by then.

So, hard to believe but on closer inspection our recent Cup form has actually been okay. Of course this gives me absolutely no solace for yesterday’s Lancashire seaside shit-show omni-shamble.
Genuine question re Cup competitions on 13:45 - Jan 8 with 1452 viewsTacticalR

In a 2001 study Stefan Szymanski of Imperial College Management School traced the decline of crowds at FA Cup matches to the formation of the Premier League:

'Szymanski attributes this startling decline of interest in the FA Cup to the relative imbalance of the competition. The most striking feature of the distribution of income in football over the last quarter of a century has been the growth of inequality between rather than within the divisions. This growth of inequality has reduced interest in inter-divisional matches while intra-divisional matches are more interesting in the context of the League.'

'In 1988, 92% of all FA Cup matches involving teams from the same division had higher attendance than at the equivalent League match. By 2000, the figure was only 30%.'

The Eclipse Of The FA Cup - How Inequality Has Reduced Interest In One Of Football's Oldest Competitions (2001), Stefan Szymanski

Air hostess clique

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:36 - Jan 8 with 1347 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 13:45 - Jan 8 by TacticalR

In a 2001 study Stefan Szymanski of Imperial College Management School traced the decline of crowds at FA Cup matches to the formation of the Premier League:

'Szymanski attributes this startling decline of interest in the FA Cup to the relative imbalance of the competition. The most striking feature of the distribution of income in football over the last quarter of a century has been the growth of inequality between rather than within the divisions. This growth of inequality has reduced interest in inter-divisional matches while intra-divisional matches are more interesting in the context of the League.'

'In 1988, 92% of all FA Cup matches involving teams from the same division had higher attendance than at the equivalent League match. By 2000, the figure was only 30%.'

The Eclipse Of The FA Cup - How Inequality Has Reduced Interest In One Of Football's Oldest Competitions (2001), Stefan Szymanski

Nice info. Thanks Tactical.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 18:53 - Jan 8 with 1311 viewsEsox_Lucius

Genuine question re Cup competitions on 23:57 - Jan 7 by loftboy

Brendan Ormsby scored IIRC and with minutes to go the QPR players were herding towards the tunnel ready for a quick break off the pitch. There was a very nasty atmosphere at the ground that day and the players must have felt the same way.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024