Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? 11:15 - Aug 6 with 2716 viewsMelakaRanger

I was lucky (unlucky) enough to watch all the home games of our 68/69 season where effectively we were a 3rd division team playing in the 1st Division. No wonder we found it so hard to gain any points . But at least the team tried, the players didn’t shirk and they sweat blood for the club.

Our record then was

Played 42
Home won 4 drew 7 lost 10 for 20 against 33
Away. Won 0 drew 3 lost 18 for 19 against 62
Total point 18

I fear something similar or even worse this season.

We have a manager totally out of his depth. A majority of players who couldn’t give a toss and a large number of players who are , like the manager are League 2 standard only.

Back in 69 we had a Chairman who was probably our best ever. He managed to turn the club around and within a few years we back up to Division 1 and were punching our weight .

The club needs a massive clear out of management and staff and new owners who are football focused. Without that I can only see league 2 within 2 seasons . After that it’s as easy to slip further as it is to start the long climb back up.

For the past 10 years our owners have not been awful people. They really care about the club but their naivety has cost us dearly and has cost them a fortune. On the basis of be careful what you wish for, the only chance QPR has of surviving as a Championship club (or better) is for new owners to take over and soon

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:37 - Aug 6 with 2653 viewsenfieldargh

I missed the 2-1 win over Stoke I had the mumps

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:47 - Aug 6 with 2610 viewsMelakaRanger

My grandad and I celebrated by buying two Beat The Clock tickets at the next match. Those were the days. “Beat the clock 6 pence” was the shout of the ticket sellers.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:48 - Aug 6 with 2602 viewsdmm

I went to every home game that season. Sold golden goal tickets at the school end so got in for free and was paid a few bob. Loved every minute of that season despite the terrible battering we took. I felt incredibly proud of my team. They always gave everything in every game.

Yesterday could not be more different.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:57 - Aug 6 with 2562 viewsDWQPR

I fear this season could replicate the Derby PL season of 11 points unless the owners once again admit that they have fûcked up royally with the managerial position. Only once have they ever got it right and that was with Warburton and then they got rid because he’d dare tell the truth. We need Warbs back whilst he is available and give him free rein to put in place the infrastructure that will befit the training ground.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:08 - Aug 6 with 2537 viewswortonr

Yup
Me too.
Felt like the bubble really burst then. However there were some great memories particularly the midweek 1-0 defeat to Leeds. We were all over them but couldn’t score, even with a penalty bizarrely taken by Bobby Keetch?
Much better next season when we had Rodney fit from the start.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:17 - Aug 6 with 2504 viewsQPRSteve

We were competitive in most games that season and had no luck whatsoever. Plus our star player missed most of the season.

Yesterday were never in the game and unless we bring in more and better players we never will be.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:39 - Aug 6 with 2488 viewsjohnhoop

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:08 - Aug 6 by wortonr

Yup
Me too.
Felt like the bubble really burst then. However there were some great memories particularly the midweek 1-0 defeat to Leeds. We were all over them but couldn’t score, even with a penalty bizarrely taken by Bobby Keetch?
Much better next season when we had Rodney fit from the start.

I remember the Wolves game as well when we were all over them, hit the woodwork several times and then Derek Dougan grabbed the winner.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:47 - Aug 6 with 2468 viewsHamptonR

No
Login to get fewer ads

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 12:55 - Aug 6 with 2445 viewsEsox_Lucius

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:48 - Aug 6 by dmm

I went to every home game that season. Sold golden goal tickets at the school end so got in for free and was paid a few bob. Loved every minute of that season despite the terrible battering we took. I felt incredibly proud of my team. They always gave everything in every game.

Yesterday could not be more different.

Just a thought on that. Most of the squad was assembled over a number of seasons to play a certain, possession style of passing football. The same players, for the most part, are now being asked to play hoofball and no possession. You wouldn't buy a sports car to deliver rubbish to the recycling centre would you? or expect a professor of Physics to teach art in a junior school? so why expect these players to be able to cope with a style that goes completely against all their coaching and skill set.
I see the problem as there is no player buy in to the manager as most of those were pushing towards the playoffs when playing the aforementioned style. Managerial disruption would certainly seem to play a part in the mental state of the players.

The grass is always greener.

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:25 - Aug 6 with 2396 viewssexton

We battered Leeds at home but lost 1-0.

Bernard Joy (I think) wrote that 'Leeds were blessed with the sort of luck that is reserved only for champions'.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:35 - Aug 6 with 2374 viewsterryb

We were awful in a few games that season (West Brom at home), but we also played very well at times (Leeds home, Tottenham away, West ham away)

At no time were we anywhere near as bad as the opening 45 minutes yesterday!
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:50 - Aug 6 with 2340 viewsSonofpugwash

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:25 - Aug 6 by sexton

Bernard Joy (I think) wrote that 'Leeds were blessed with the sort of luck that is reserved only for champions'.

Yeah,remember that one.Johnny Giles said afterwards "I don't know why they are down at the bottom,the way they played they should up at the top with us".
Took us about 20 minutes of the first half before we could get the ball off them.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:50 - Aug 6 with 2339 viewswelwynranger

Yep. I saw all of the home games( including being a goal up against Spurs and Jimmy Greaves handling the ball when scoring the equaliser)
I must have seen about 10 if the away games.
That team was out of its depth but as I remember they tried.
This team I believe are good enough but don't try that is unexceptable. I saw my mate on the way out of the ground yesterday and told him " This is the worst QPR team I have seen in nearly 60yrs.
First game September 1963.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:54 - Aug 6 with 2328 viewsdaveB

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 13:50 - Aug 6 by welwynranger

Yep. I saw all of the home games( including being a goal up against Spurs and Jimmy Greaves handling the ball when scoring the equaliser)
I must have seen about 10 if the away games.
That team was out of its depth but as I remember they tried.
This team I believe are good enough but don't try that is unexceptable. I saw my mate on the way out of the ground yesterday and told him " This is the worst QPR team I have seen in nearly 60yrs.
First game September 1963.

Shameless plug ( sorry Clive)

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 14:07 - Aug 6 with 2312 viewscolinallcars

Headline in the Mirror said QPR leave Revie's men panting.
Chalk and cheese with that team and this team.
Those lads played their hearts out.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 15:15 - Aug 7 with 2123 viewsBoston

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 11:47 - Aug 6 by MelakaRanger

My grandad and I celebrated by buying two Beat The Clock tickets at the next match. Those were the days. “Beat the clock 6 pence” was the shout of the ticket sellers.

PeaNUUTZ!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 15:46 - Aug 7 with 2075 viewsHantsR

I also went to every home game that season and a number of away games. That Leeds game with the awful Bobby Keetch penalty! But wasn't that the game when the floodlights came on full strength as Mick Jones challenged the goalie and bundled the ball over the line? I think we had another Lids game that was described as the most one-sided 0-0 draw ever!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 15:46]
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 16:10 - Aug 7 with 2010 viewsterryb

Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 15:46 - Aug 7 by HantsR

I also went to every home game that season and a number of away games. That Leeds game with the awful Bobby Keetch penalty! But wasn't that the game when the floodlights came on full strength as Mick Jones challenged the goalie and bundled the ball over the line? I think we had another Lids game that was described as the most one-sided 0-0 draw ever!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 15:46]

That was the one!

It was an awful penalty from Keetch, but he was the only player willing to take it! Marsh walked towards our own goal rather than placing the ball on the spot.

The following Wednesday we lost 3-2 at Tottenham after outplaying them as well.
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 16:25 - Aug 7 with 1974 viewsolderR

23 games drawn or lost by one goal.
12 points behind Leicester in 21st pos.

Will history repeat itself?
Will this season be as bad as 68/69? on 16:58 - Aug 7 with 1915 viewsstevec

Loved that season.

Got to see virtually the entire World Cup winning team plus the likes of Law and Best playing at LR, probably first time ever any of them had been there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024