Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scarborough Athletic 18:27 - Jul 16 with 5238 viewselectricblue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-40606364

Better than the Mcain stadium......
Now that was a dump.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Scarborough Athletic on 18:34 - Jul 16 with 4327 views442Dale

Only yesterday we mentioned stones being lobbed into the old away end from the estate behind at Scarborough.

It's a Lidl now, went in a couple of months ago and thus realised a lifetime ambition of treading the same ground as Graham Shaw and Neal Trebble.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Scarborough Athletic on 18:59 - Jul 16 with 4277 viewsColDale

There was talk of Scarboro's old ground last week when Wolves played a pre-season match and a fan climbed on the roof
Scarborough Athletic on 19:44 - Jul 16 with 4194 viewsSuddenLad

McCain Stadium. Spent some dreary afternoons and evenings there watching absolute sh!te from both sides. Thak God it is no more.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Scarborough Athletic on 20:11 - Jul 16 with 4123 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Remember going to that dump watching Andy duggan on loan for about 19 minutes. Looked ok but got injured. We had don page on loan in swap with Andy flounders. Think Steve Morgan played for us after scoring 2 not long before (vs York I think) remember them collecting money to help build a new stand. They got very little!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Scarborough Athletic on 20:13 - Jul 16 with 4118 views442Dale

Scarborough Athletic on 20:11 - Jul 16 by Thacks_Rabbits

Remember going to that dump watching Andy duggan on loan for about 19 minutes. Looked ok but got injured. We had don page on loan in swap with Andy flounders. Think Steve Morgan played for us after scoring 2 not long before (vs York I think) remember them collecting money to help build a new stand. They got very little!!!

Morgan at York was 90/91. Page-Flounders swap was 92/93.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Scarborough Athletic on 20:19 - Jul 16 with 4104 viewsfitzochris

I always have fond memories of Scarborough - a staple opposition for us throughout the 80s and 90s. I seem to remember watching us put four past them a few times.

They had a player called Rockett, too. Always good for a headline.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Scarborough Athletic on 20:20 - Jul 16 with 4098 viewsThacks_Rabbits

God you know your stuff 442. Think we got Morgan off Oldham and he got 2 on his debut. Pretty sure we played them the next away game (Scarborough) but might be wrong. Can't remember last week well so 25 years is tough

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Scarborough Athletic on 20:26 - Jul 16 with 4073 viewsTVOS1907

Scarborough Athletic on 20:20 - Jul 16 by Thacks_Rabbits

God you know your stuff 442. Think we got Morgan off Oldham and he got 2 on his debut. Pretty sure we played them the next away game (Scarborough) but might be wrong. Can't remember last week well so 25 years is tough

Morgan's goals were at York on Easter Saturday 1991. We had already played at Scarborough that season.

Andy Duggan played in the York game, but never at Scarborough for anybody!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Scarborough Athletic on 22:00 - Jul 16 with 3911 viewsste1

Did we play there on a Friday night once? I seem to remember a dire 0-0. Late 90s.

On a pale blue dot

Scarborough Athletic on 22:26 - Jul 16 with 3857 viewsWalboro

Remember watching Dale v Scarboro on a Saturday i parked in the MFI car park across the road and who pulled up at the side of me in a Fiesta with boots in hand but the one and only Stevie Doyle remember standing in the open end.
Scarborough Athletic on 22:28 - Jul 16 with 3847 viewsTVOS1907

Scarborough Athletic on 22:00 - Jul 16 by ste1

Did we play there on a Friday night once? I seem to remember a dire 0-0. Late 90s.

Yep, 26th March 1999, although we lost 1-0. Scarborough got relegated six weeks later!

League results at Scarborough were:

Saturday 30th April 1988 L 1-2
Saturday 10th September 1988 D 3-3
Saturday 7th April 1990 L 1-2
Tuesday 6th February 1991 D 0-0
Saturday 30th November 1991 L 2-3
Saturday 20th February 1993 D 1-1
Saturday 2nd April 1994 L 1-2
Saturday 24th September 1994 W 4-2
Tuesday 23rd January 1996 D 1-1
Saturday 22nd February 1997 D 2-2
Saturday 6th December 1997 L 0-1
Friday 26th March 1999 L 0-1

Scarborough Athletic on 22:38 - Jul 16 with 3835 viewsR17ALE

I think I'm right in suggesting Scarborough did the double on us in the season they went down. They beat us 1-0 home and away in 98-99 I think. It was the depths of the Barrow era. I took a mate to the away game. He was so horrified he has only been to two Dale games since. Our Cup game v Forest and last year's win at Charlton.

You cannot explain to modern fans what it was like under Barrow, for whom Hill played. I'm sure Hill has based his entire managerial career on doing everything the complete opposite that Barrow did things. And yet, Barrow has gone onto enjoy a decent career that is far beyond the merits of his talents as our manager. Whereas Sutton and the Doc who did better than him, found Dale their graveyard.

Meanwhile Simpson, who was arguably our worst ever Manager has done fantastically well since he was popped off by us.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Scarborough Athletic on 22:45 - Jul 16 with 3819 viewsTVOS1907

Scarborough Athletic on 22:38 - Jul 16 by R17ALE

I think I'm right in suggesting Scarborough did the double on us in the season they went down. They beat us 1-0 home and away in 98-99 I think. It was the depths of the Barrow era. I took a mate to the away game. He was so horrified he has only been to two Dale games since. Our Cup game v Forest and last year's win at Charlton.

You cannot explain to modern fans what it was like under Barrow, for whom Hill played. I'm sure Hill has based his entire managerial career on doing everything the complete opposite that Barrow did things. And yet, Barrow has gone onto enjoy a decent career that is far beyond the merits of his talents as our manager. Whereas Sutton and the Doc who did better than him, found Dale their graveyard.

Meanwhile Simpson, who was arguably our worst ever Manager has done fantastically well since he was popped off by us.

Good call on them doing the double on us that season.

Still, at least we knocked them out of the FA Cup as we embarked on one of our "two good cup runs".

Scarborough Athletic on 22:50 - Jul 16 with 3811 viewsSandyman

Scarborough Athletic on 22:28 - Jul 16 by TVOS1907

Yep, 26th March 1999, although we lost 1-0. Scarborough got relegated six weeks later!

League results at Scarborough were:

Saturday 30th April 1988 L 1-2
Saturday 10th September 1988 D 3-3
Saturday 7th April 1990 L 1-2
Tuesday 6th February 1991 D 0-0
Saturday 30th November 1991 L 2-3
Saturday 20th February 1993 D 1-1
Saturday 2nd April 1994 L 1-2
Saturday 24th September 1994 W 4-2
Tuesday 23rd January 1996 D 1-1
Saturday 22nd February 1997 D 2-2
Saturday 6th December 1997 L 0-1
Friday 26th March 1999 L 0-1

My memories of Scarborough include the perfect left foot / right foot / header hat-trick by Gareth Griffiths.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rochdale-4-s

And lending them the midfield force that wasn't that Graham Barrow signed that was Gareth Stoker.
Scarborough Athletic on 22:51 - Jul 16 with 3809 viewsAtThePeake

Scarborough Athletic on 22:45 - Jul 16 by TVOS1907

Good call on them doing the double on us that season.

Still, at least we knocked them out of the FA Cup as we embarked on one of our "two good cup runs".

Didn't we beat them in the JPT at home on one of the seasons they allowed non-league teams in too?

Gareth Griffiths hat-trick. Or was that against someone else?

EDIT: Sandyman beat me to it!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2017 3:29]

Tangled up in blue.

Scarborough Athletic on 22:58 - Jul 16 with 3796 viewsSandyman

Scarborough Athletic on 22:38 - Jul 16 by R17ALE

Fair call. Barrow was truly awful . Simpson was worse.

"Former Rochdale Manager Steve Eyre" (copyright Radio Manchester) was worserer imho.
Scarborough Athletic on 23:08 - Jul 16 with 3766 viewsTVOS1907

Scarborough Athletic on 22:51 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

Didn't we beat them in the JPT at home on one of the seasons they allowed non-league teams in too?

Gareth Griffiths hat-trick. Or was that against someone else?

EDIT: Sandyman beat me to it!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2017 3:29]

We did, but my list was just league games at Scarborough. I think it was the LDV Vans Trophy at the time

Scarborough Athletic on 23:11 - Jul 16 with 3760 viewsSuddenLad

Scarborough Athletic on 22:58 - Jul 16 by Sandyman

Fair call. Barrow was truly awful . Simpson was worse.

"Former Rochdale Manager Steve Eyre" (copyright Radio Manchester) was worserer imho.

Barrow presided over the only period since 1962, when I threw in the towel watching Dale. The football on offer was THAT bad. Yes, Eyre was a shocker, but that was due to simple inexperiece and his own ideas of who was a good player. I was also very close to stopping atteding, under Coleman, if only for the foul, vile comments he could be heard making towards opposition players and match officials.

Whoever it was that posted on here that he wasn't fit to manage the Dog and Duck reserves, had it spot on. A disgrace and I'm sure he's one of the reasons that Gary Jones has never set foot into Spotland since the day he left. That's a tragedy.

To think he represented this great club and wore the club badge, makes my stomach churn.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Scarborough Athletic on 23:11 - Jul 16 with 3756 viewsHopwoodblue

We also played them in the FA cup when they were non league lost away, think that might have been 4 -2. I was stood next to Mick Whittles who was quite vocal but it was before segregation was heard of so there was a bit of verbals to say the least.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Scarborough Athletic on 09:27 - Jul 17 with 3506 viewsfitzochris

Scarborough Athletic on 23:11 - Jul 16 by Hopwoodblue

We also played them in the FA cup when they were non league lost away, think that might have been 4 -2. I was stood next to Mick Whittles who was quite vocal but it was before segregation was heard of so there was a bit of verbals to say the least.

I definitely remember us putting four past them in a cup game a few years after I started watching Dale.

Scarborough Athletic on 15:31 - Jul 17 with 3281 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Think that was little woods cup or similar when oshaunessy scored from about 50 yards. Think we beat aldershot 4 0 game before

Scarborough Athletic on 16:15 - Jul 17 with 3234 viewsdeeplishblue

Scarborough Athletic on 15:31 - Jul 17 by Thacks_Rabbits

Think that was little woods cup or similar when oshaunessy scored from about 50 yards. Think we beat aldershot 4 0 game before

35 yards perhaps.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Scarborough Athletic on 17:46 - Jul 17 with 3154 viewsBarryStrange

I liked the McCain Stadium - went to a pre-season friendly there under Warnock in 98 when there was about 60 people in the ground (excl players). You could hear everything the players were saying, it was ace. Plus Liam Robinson was up front for them and twice the size he was when he left Bury. Weird to think they were about to have the season that destroyed the club permanently.

We had a great record there too, set against a really awful record against them at Gigg.

Delighted for them they have a ground in Scarborough again now - nice to see them return home.
Scarborough Athletic on 00:07 - Jul 18 with 2944 viewspioneer

Scarborough Athletic on 23:11 - Jul 16 by Hopwoodblue

Thats my first recollection of Scarborough...one of those annual cup exits to non league teams where we were just not in the same league as them....from a playing point of view.

I dreaded the FA Cup draw every year because we knew

1 we would draw a non league team
2 they would beat us easily.
Scarborough Athletic on 07:35 - Jul 18 with 2880 viewsfitzochris

Scarborough Athletic on 15:31 - Jul 17 by Thacks_Rabbits

Yes it was that season. I just looked it all up, rather than rely on adolescent memory. The Aldershot win was the opening game of the 90/91 season.

I had also forgotten that the 4-0 win over Scarborough was the first of two legs in the Legaue Cup, the second of which we drew 3-3. Being only 10 years old at the time, I wasn't allowed to go to the second leg.

Our reward was a 5-0 home battering by Southampton.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 7:36]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024