Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement 18:08 - Oct 13 with 22602 viewsR17ALE

Did anyone else witness scenes from the 1980's?

These weren't giddy teenagers, but Donny fans offering out virtually any Dale fan in sight. From what I could see a few skirmishes broke out which led to four coppers hot-footing it down Willbutts to interject.

Sadly, it was partly down to our stewards/safety people/police.

For those who don't know, there are 2 exits from the Sandy - one by the Willbutts corner which everybody who lives Norden way uses. Whenever there's a visiting element or larger away following, they refuse to open this exit on the grounds that rival fans could clash outside the ground. In reality the home fans are always gone before the away fans have left the stadium.

Today, they wouldn't open it. And so, we all had to turn round and leave at the pub exit and then turn right out of the car park and into the oncoming away fans under the trees just behind the net. I guessed it might kick off, so crossed the road immediately, but many Dale fans seemed to get caught up in the fracas.

So avoidable as well.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:06 - Oct 13 with 4085 viewsscarrow

I didn't see the shenanigans after the match but my question would be how were flares allowed in. Poor stewarding with searches and not movingthe scrotes away from near the Sandy.

You can tell the McCann was Ferguson's protegy. Same shameful time wasting.

Poll: Final position

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:07 - Oct 13 with 4082 viewsrochdale_ranger

Being a football police officer at RAFC must be like all your christmases coming at once. They have literally nothing to do and when it does kick off on the rare occasion they are next to useless a la Oldham at home a few seasons ago when Oldham fans were battering women in the home ends. The outcome of that one was Rochdale fans who were defending themselves got banning orders! On another note is there no fitness test police officers have to follow these days? judging by the size of some of gmp’s Finest who are regularly in attendance they couldn’t catch a cold let alone a little casual in a stone island coat.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:08 - Oct 13 with 4080 viewsSandyman

All that needs to be said is this: As TVOS and others have said, a visit to the Keepmoat is usually a pleasure with the best stewards you can see at an away game. Credit to Doncaster Rovers for that.
Today, we saw a gang of feral braindead children run havoc at the Sandy Lane end of the Willbutts stand. Our stewards and paid for police let then get away with what they wanted, which gave them every encouragement to commit more anti-social behaviour. We've been to bury and seen how their stewards give the mongs carte blanche to do what they want, from standing in a seated area to throwing batteries and golf balls etc etc. Our stewards allowed Rovers shitbags to do the same. No wonder they felt free to kick off afterwards. They should have been told to sit down or get out and dealt with them accordingly. RAFC have permitted ground regulations to be broken today by a retarded bunch of babies in a laughable uniform. Our fault. Our fine.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:10 - Oct 13 with 4068 viewsTVOS1907

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:08 - Oct 13 by Sandyman

All that needs to be said is this: As TVOS and others have said, a visit to the Keepmoat is usually a pleasure with the best stewards you can see at an away game. Credit to Doncaster Rovers for that.
Today, we saw a gang of feral braindead children run havoc at the Sandy Lane end of the Willbutts stand. Our stewards and paid for police let then get away with what they wanted, which gave them every encouragement to commit more anti-social behaviour. We've been to bury and seen how their stewards give the mongs carte blanche to do what they want, from standing in a seated area to throwing batteries and golf balls etc etc. Our stewards allowed Rovers shitbags to do the same. No wonder they felt free to kick off afterwards. They should have been told to sit down or get out and dealt with them accordingly. RAFC have permitted ground regulations to be broken today by a retarded bunch of babies in a laughable uniform. Our fault. Our fine.

And yet at the Pearl Street end, stewards were carrying vigorous searches of home fans, including feeling legs right down to the ankles.

Good job I handed my flares to a Rovers' supporter.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:11 - Oct 13 with 4048 viewsChaffRAFC

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 21:17 - Oct 13 by tony_roch975

can you share the addresses you've sent (& the emails if you're willing too) so the rest of us can back your comments up & copy in the Trust & CEO.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 21:21]

Email the Trust at info@daletrust.co.uk

I emailed them and CC'd the admin@rochdaleafc.co.uk but I've emailed that before with no response. I suspect you'll have more joy going through the Trust.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:23 - Oct 13 with 3993 views442Dale

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:11 - Oct 13 by ChaffRAFC

Email the Trust at info@daletrust.co.uk

I emailed them and CC'd the admin@rochdaleafc.co.uk but I've emailed that before with no response. I suspect you'll have more joy going through the Trust.

The benefits of people going through the Trust are that it will see a response to their members and the fanbase via information on what happens via their website. It adds a level of accountability on the various organisations involved today.

This won’t go away without something being done.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:28 - Oct 13 with 3980 viewsnordenblue

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:10 - Oct 13 by TVOS1907

And yet at the Pearl Street end, stewards were carrying vigorous searches of home fans, including feeling legs right down to the ankles.

Weren't your legs cold then all game?
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:33 - Oct 13 with 3959 viewsTVOS1907

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:28 - Oct 13 by nordenblue

Weren't your legs cold then all game?

I asked the 'legistics' officer to warm them up...

Login to get fewer ads

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 23:18 - Oct 13 with 3876 viewsKenBoon

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 22:10 - Oct 13 by TVOS1907

This could be my fault. I smuggled some chips in at the last game and obviously caused a huge security alert.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 23:23 - Oct 13 with 3856 viewsTVOS1907

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 23:18 - Oct 13 by KenBoon

This could be my fault. I smuggled some chips in at the last game and obviously caused a huge security alert.

Were they round your shins?

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 10:02 - Oct 14 with 3575 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I approached a steward at the end of the game and asked why the exit was closed. He explained it was club policy and they were unable to do anything about it. Obviously they aren`t paid enough to open their mouths and explain to the powers that be at the club, that it actually defeats the object of what the club are trying to achieve, which is to keep supporters apart. I explained my father, who is 82, now has to walk twice as far and through a bunch of inbreds intent on violence and anti-social behavior. It is obvious also that nobody within the club, who makes these decisions has ever had to leave the stadium from the Sandy Lane end and through these scrotes. They are playing with peoples safety and in extreme circumstances possibly their lives, as it only takes one punch to kill a person. Don`t say it won`t happen because it does and more often than you might think. You only have to read the Observer to know that. It is time the club started looking after its fans, instead of using them as a cash cow. The lack of info coming out of the club regarding football matters is also disgraceful and I for one am getting sick of being treated like a mushroom, being fed shit and being kept in the dark. Rant over! for now.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 10:09 - Oct 14 with 3551 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I think Mr Mason was open to reading Fan Sites.........something to get his teeth into here?
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 10:16 - Oct 14 with 3525 views442Dale

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 10:09 - Oct 14 by Yorkshire_Dale

I think Mr Mason was open to reading Fan Sites.........something to get his teeth into here?

He mentioned forums in his interview, which was very positive.

And there was no mention of the word “proper” when it came to the online sites fans use.

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:10 - Oct 14 with 3441 viewsAReeves

The really frustrating thing is that this really isn't rocket science - the club knows broadly how many away fans will travel, 2 x blocks needed at most. Put these guys in the middle 2 x blocks, then they are further away from both home stands.

As soon as the 2nd smoke bomb was thrown, ok decision made, at full time you're all being kept in 15 mins to minimise the chance of the mixing at the end

Poor yesterday from the club, safety standards not met, fairly lucky it wasnt worse
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:17 - Oct 14 with 3423 viewstony_roch975

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:10 - Oct 14 by AReeves

The really frustrating thing is that this really isn't rocket science - the club knows broadly how many away fans will travel, 2 x blocks needed at most. Put these guys in the middle 2 x blocks, then they are further away from both home stands.

As soon as the 2nd smoke bomb was thrown, ok decision made, at full time you're all being kept in 15 mins to minimise the chance of the mixing at the end

Poor yesterday from the club, safety standards not met, fairly lucky it wasnt worse

sensible suggestions (hope you'll email the trust with them) but let's not forget Doncaster fans weren't forced to bring flares in, throw them and threaten our fans etc; we seem too ready these days to find someone other than the culprit to blame!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:46 - Oct 14 with 3362 viewsrafc1977

Only two people to blame today in my opinion, those are our ground safety officer & the most senior policeman/woman in attendance.

As nearly everyone has said there were a substantial element of visiting fans yesterday hell bent on trouble. If their actions throughout the 90 minute's wasn't enough of a 'what could potentially happen afterwards' then I don't know what is.

I'm blaming all on my club & the police who not only stood by and let these morons cause issues in the ground but also endanger peoples safety afterwards.

There was a group of Asian children at the game today, along with I'm sure a lot of their parents/elders. We have never been able to reach out to the Asian community in supporting our team, would the events yesterday have endeared them to coming again? Even if they don't hear about the problems after the game, the actions in the ground were enough. Also what must mums & dads in the family stand be thinking?

Who is the ground safety officer? He/She have failed in there duty yesterday and it cannot be allowed to be swept under the carpet.

To anybody on the board of our great club hear this....

Your actions today risk losing fans of tomorrow! I for one will continue to tell my 9 year old she can't come, not just because of yesterday but because football in general seems to be slipping slightly to the 'bad old days' and it's not idiots looking for like for like idiots today, it's anyone goes. Women, children, old people.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 12:01 - Oct 14 with 3320 viewsAReeves

Yes take your point, vile set of fans from a vile club and totally their doing yesterday. However unfortunately any fines / measures will be against us as the host club, we would be slated for failing to follow ground safety rules. My point was that the issues yesterday was with 50-60 ? Dullards who chose to act in that way, to my simple view there was a reasonably easy solution early on which would have nipped it in the bud. Academic anyway really as don’t expect any response or follow up from anyone anyway, can you imagine if same had been same at a European game with a precious premier league team ! We would never hear last of it
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 12:10 - Oct 14 with 3289 viewstony_roch975

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:46 - Oct 14 by rafc1977

Only two people to blame today in my opinion, those are our ground safety officer & the most senior policeman/woman in attendance.

As nearly everyone has said there were a substantial element of visiting fans yesterday hell bent on trouble. If their actions throughout the 90 minute's wasn't enough of a 'what could potentially happen afterwards' then I don't know what is.

I'm blaming all on my club & the police who not only stood by and let these morons cause issues in the ground but also endanger peoples safety afterwards.

There was a group of Asian children at the game today, along with I'm sure a lot of their parents/elders. We have never been able to reach out to the Asian community in supporting our team, would the events yesterday have endeared them to coming again? Even if they don't hear about the problems after the game, the actions in the ground were enough. Also what must mums & dads in the family stand be thinking?

Who is the ground safety officer? He/She have failed in there duty yesterday and it cannot be allowed to be swept under the carpet.

Your actions today risk losing fans of tomorrow! I for one will continue to tell my 9 year old she can't come, not just because of yesterday but because football in general seems to be slipping slightly to the 'bad old days' and it's not idiots looking for like for like idiots today, it's anyone goes. Women, children, old people.

v good points, especially about undermining our integration attempts (that's one of the things I put in my email to the Trust, RAFC, DRFC and national supporters trust) - would be great if you'd email them

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 15:57 - Oct 14 with 2988 viewsaleanddale

What a shambles our stewards are.

Walking past them all smoking / chewing gum with their aggressive poisturing what a shower they are.

Just how were approx 50 lads allowed to stand at the front if the stand for the whole game?

Make them sit OR throw them out!
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 16:44 - Oct 14 with 2911 viewsdaz

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 15:57 - Oct 14 by aleanddale

What a shambles our stewards are.

Walking past them all smoking / chewing gum with their aggressive poisturing what a shower they are.

Just how were approx 50 lads allowed to stand at the front if the stand for the whole game?

Make them sit OR throw them out!

There lies the problem. Make them sit in their seats from the start. Every away team that visit us the fans stand on the stairs. If someone in the main stand stops to just talk to someone on the stairs they are pounced on within seconds. What's the difference! Soft stewarding gives this element the upper hand from the off and the events after the match were sadly predictable. My daughter loves going to the match but events like this aren't going to encourage young supporters. Luckily I sensed what would happen yesterday so got near the exit and dashed for the car at the whistle, so she's blissfully unaware of any such trouble after the game.
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 16:46 - Oct 14 with 2896 viewsDaley_Lama

Put away fans in the middle of the Wilbutts Lane.

Put them near the TDS and our yoof chuck stuff at them
Put them near the Sandy and a couple of people and a pigeon get abused like yesterday

Let them out from the middle of the Wilbutts and crowd will have thinned out as away fans get to either Sandy or Wilbutts corner.

Oh, and if there is a big knot of belms like yesterday, kettle then when they leave the ground for a few minutes exactly the same as our yoof were after the game at the TDS/Main Stand corner

I suspect a meet up was planned yesterday but because one party (Dale yoof) were detained, normal fans got clobbered.

If so, another reminder of the collateral damage these meet ups can bring

Poll: DF in or out

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 17:18 - Oct 14 with 2831 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 11:46 - Oct 14 by rafc1977

Good post ......there was also a large contingent of our Norwegian fans at San Spotty yesterday including a school party (how many not sure?) They are a real great bunch.

What the heck must they think of OUR CLUB?
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 18:02 - Oct 14 with 2775 viewsDalenet

I think we need some perspective here. I hate nobheads has much as the next, and our stewarding has been ineffective for at least 10 years, but anybody reading this thread would think we had witnessed the Toxteth riots.

Claiming that it is a disgrace that the Sandy Lane left hand gate hadn't been opened and an 82yo had to walk another 30 yards is a bit strange a complaint. If an 82 year old can stand for 105 minutes then I cant see why a walk of 30 yards is a problem.

It takes a good 10 minutes to clear the main stand nowadays after a game. We are all funnelled out to the Sandy Lane main entrance and I didn't see any fighting. So what ever happened it didn't last long. But agree it is unacceptable. I did see some Asian lads in kit with their mother walking up Sandy Lane towards Edenfield Road and they seemed to enjoy their day. I hope they come back.

We have seen flares at Spotland a few times in recent years including some from our own fans at a certain cup game last year I recall. I don't know why stewards cant find them but anybody using one should get a banning order from their own club as well as ours. That might stop it over time. An email from the club to the Doncaster Free Press telling them that we intend to seek banning orders for their fans for that behaviour might just create publicity in Doncaster that encourages their club to take action. We will have photographs of the offending bunch

If we happen to play them again next season we should refuse on the day cash sales and insist that names and addresses by collected with every ticket sold by their club. Normal fans would probably be fine with that
Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 19:09 - Oct 14 with 2676 views442Dale

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/10/rochdale-v-doncaster-rovers/

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 19:35 - Oct 14 with 2612 viewssoulboy

Fighting on the Sandy Lane pavement on 16:44 - Oct 14 by daz

There lies the problem. Make them sit in their seats from the start. Every away team that visit us the fans stand on the stairs. If someone in the main stand stops to just talk to someone on the stairs they are pounced on within seconds. What's the difference! Soft stewarding gives this element the upper hand from the off and the events after the match were sadly predictable. My daughter loves going to the match but events like this aren't going to encourage young supporters. Luckily I sensed what would happen yesterday so got near the exit and dashed for the car at the whistle, so she's blissfully unaware of any such trouble after the game.

Yes, put one foot on a bit of yellow paint in the main stand and the stewards cant wait to point it out. They have a record of standing there watching away fans do more or less what they want, such the Sheff Weds fans pulling down several advertising boards a few seasons ago. Does anyone know what the stewards are paid for? Is this an area that falls under the remit of the new CEO?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024