Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hendowatch 16:00 - Feb 3 with 35832 viewsAtThePeake

I keep forgetting how far Hendo is from the record(s) and after DDB posted them in another thread I thought I'd start this one to keep on top of how far away he is.

All-Time League Record: 119
Current Hendo Tally: 112

All-Time Overall Record: 129
Current Hendo Tally: 127

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

Hendowatch on 07:06 - Feb 6 with 5920 viewsTVOS1907

Hendowatch on 23:11 - Feb 5 by D_Dale

With all due respect to Hendo, I'm not sure I'd want him to topple Reg, who provided some good memories, from his place as all-time top scorer.

Even TVOS won't know which of the two has the better goals scored/minutes played ratio. It must be very close.

Want to bet?

If you have been reading the Back of the Net feature in TVOS this season, where I’ve been looking at our all-time top 25 goalscorers, you will notice minutes played (where available) has been included, with associated rates of scoring.

When Henderson reached 100 goals in November 2018, another special feature detailed his stats to date, including the minutes played. That will be updated when it’s his turn to feature.

The issue with Jenkins is that there aren’t full records of times of substitutions in his era, whereas there are now.

However, a small proportion of sub appearances among well over 300 games will have a negligible effect on his rate of scoring.

When I get to them in time for the programme, I’ll report the figures on here.

And for interest, Chris Dagnall will be featured in the Tranmere TVOS.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hendowatch on 10:04 - Feb 6 with 5761 viewsD_Alien

Hendowatch on 07:06 - Feb 6 by TVOS1907

Want to bet?

If you have been reading the Back of the Net feature in TVOS this season, where I’ve been looking at our all-time top 25 goalscorers, you will notice minutes played (where available) has been included, with associated rates of scoring.

When Henderson reached 100 goals in November 2018, another special feature detailed his stats to date, including the minutes played. That will be updated when it’s his turn to feature.

The issue with Jenkins is that there aren’t full records of times of substitutions in his era, whereas there are now.

However, a small proportion of sub appearances among well over 300 games will have a negligible effect on his rate of scoring.

When I get to them in time for the programme, I’ll report the figures on here.

And for interest, Chris Dagnall will be featured in the Tranmere TVOS.

Just for the sake of thoroughness (which i know you are), would that include those occasions where Reg was subbed as well as coming on as sub?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hendowatch on 10:26 - Feb 6 with 5728 viewsTVOS1907

Hendowatch on 10:04 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

Just for the sake of thoroughness (which i know you are), would that include those occasions where Reg was subbed as well as coming on as sub?

It would.

Steve Taylor was featured last Saturday. Would you believe he was only subbed once and came on as a sub only once?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hendowatch on 10:32 - Feb 6 with 5716 viewsdingdangblue

Hendowatch on 23:11 - Feb 5 by D_Dale

With all due respect to Hendo, I'm not sure I'd want him to topple Reg, who provided some good memories, from his place as all-time top scorer.

Even TVOS won't know which of the two has the better goals scored/minutes played ratio. It must be very close.

Hendo has already played more games than Reg and with less goals (substitute appearances withstanding - not that either player was on the bench or substituted hardly).
Reg's goals per minutes is going to be better. It's a completely different age from now to then so it's hard to compare. They are both Dale legends - that can be said.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hendowatch on 13:48 - Feb 6 with 5561 viewsD_Alien

Hendowatch on 10:26 - Feb 6 by TVOS1907

It would.

Steve Taylor was featured last Saturday. Would you believe he was only subbed once and came on as a sub only once?

You'll be turning TVOS into a bench press

Hendowatch on 15:20 - Feb 6 with 5475 viewsdingdangblue

Was just looking into some Hendo archives and didn't realise his breakthrough season into football he was in Norwich's Championship winning squad. He even played in the Premier League the following season v City,Blackburn and Chelsea. Anyway found some footage of him in that Norwich title winning season.
Scoring goals 1 v Walsall a (around 55min)
2 v Millwall h (around 59 mins onwards)
1 v Coventry h (around 1hr 13)

[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 15:39]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hendowatch on 00:55 - Feb 7 with 5203 viewsYadHoDale

One stand at Dale is known as the WMG stand (or was) after Messrs Wyatt, Morris and Golland. Why not the WJH stand, honouring Billy Whitehurst, Reg Jenkins and Ian Henderson - three Legends from different eras?
Hendowatch on 03:24 - Feb 7 with 5188 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Hendowatch on 12:34 - Feb 5 by AtThePeake

He's spoken about it being important to him before, which I think is fairly rare these days. I think most players would try to downplay it as much as possible until it was done or at least very close.

Could we end up in a very odd situation if we end up putting some distance between ourselves and the relegation zone whereby we actually don't want Hendo to score as it increases our chances of getting him to stay for another season?

I thought we`d already been doing that, as Hendo seems to have been content in a lot of matches recently to do bugger all for 89 minutes. I know it doesn`t matter so long as he does what he`s paid for, but his overall team play has been very poor of late IMHO.
Login to get fewer ads

Hendowatch on 07:17 - Feb 7 with 5134 viewsD_Alien

Hendowatch on 03:24 - Feb 7 by RooleyMoorBlue

I thought we`d already been doing that, as Hendo seems to have been content in a lot of matches recently to do bugger all for 89 minutes. I know it doesn`t matter so long as he does what he`s paid for, but his overall team play has been very poor of late IMHO.

Controversial... but not without a grain of truth

Could be he's just protecting himself, to prolong his time on the pitch, and no doubt that as long as he keeps scoring, it'll be with the blessing of the manager

But the reality is, in the longer term it hinders BBM's options in creating forward momentum

Some have suggested he might move into a deeper role. All that would do is push us back even further, as his fruitless forays into midfield areas in the past have amply demonstrated. He's just not cut out for the midfield battle
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 7:20]

Hendowatch on 14:39 - Feb 7 with 4899 views49thseason

I have no recollection of Dennis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Gary Linaker or Michael Owen being regarded as assets in midfield, or grafting to win the ball back. Like Henderson, their importance was in the split second that poachers seem to find to score a goal when others couldnt. The confidence to do what others wouldn't is what marks them out. Is it age related? Maybe, maybe not, but unless there is someone younger that the club can afford to bring in, who is capable of scoring the goals he does then Henderson gets the gig until such time as the stats prove otherwise.
Hendowatch on 15:41 - Feb 7 with 4843 viewsD_Alien

Hendowatch on 14:39 - Feb 7 by 49thseason

I have no recollection of Dennis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Gary Linaker or Michael Owen being regarded as assets in midfield, or grafting to win the ball back. Like Henderson, their importance was in the split second that poachers seem to find to score a goal when others couldnt. The confidence to do what others wouldn't is what marks them out. Is it age related? Maybe, maybe not, but unless there is someone younger that the club can afford to bring in, who is capable of scoring the goals he does then Henderson gets the gig until such time as the stats prove otherwise.

I have no recollection of Denis* Law et al playing in League One with ten international team-mates supplying a constant stream of chances

The fact that he still scores regardless is tribute to Hendo, whatever gig he decides to play in the future whether or not he breaks the record - which is the issue here

Hendowatch on 15:49 - Feb 7 with 4834 viewsAtThePeake

Hendowatch on 14:39 - Feb 7 by 49thseason

It is worth noting that all four of the players you mention (as far as I am aware, the first three are before my time) were never anything other than strikers. Hendo has played on both wings, as a second striker and as an attacking midfielder at different stages of his career. In fact, in his first full-season with us in which he was runner-up for L2 POTY, (in my opinion his best season for us) he played mostly on the left-wing, with Hogan through the middle and Vincenti on the right.

Tangled up in blue.

Hendowatch on 19:04 - Feb 7 with 4692 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Hendowatch on 15:49 - Feb 7 by AtThePeake

It is worth noting that all four of the players you mention (as far as I am aware, the first three are before my time) were never anything other than strikers. Hendo has played on both wings, as a second striker and as an attacking midfielder at different stages of his career. In fact, in his first full-season with us in which he was runner-up for L2 POTY, (in my opinion his best season for us) he played mostly on the left-wing, with Hogan through the middle and Vincenti on the right.

If Hendo wants a 3 year deal on say 4K a week (including average goals, appearance, win bonus) is he honestly worth that risk.

That’s 600k over 3 seasons, when he may decline or suffer an injury.

To me 3 years at that sort of level would be reckless. No doubting his talent and ability and he may be as good in 3 years as today, but it does have a big down side.

Having said that I would sooner have Hendo than Done and Calvin together!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Hendowatch on 20:12 - Feb 7 with 4621 viewsnordenblue

Hendowatch on 19:04 - Feb 7 by Thacks_Rabbits

If Hendo wants a 3 year deal on say 4K a week (including average goals, appearance, win bonus) is he honestly worth that risk.

That’s 600k over 3 seasons, when he may decline or suffer an injury.

To me 3 years at that sort of level would be reckless. No doubting his talent and ability and he may be as good in 3 years as today, but it does have a big down side.

Having said that I would sooner have Hendo than Done and Calvin together!

That "risk" applies to any player on every contract, has Hendo been worth this apparent risk for the last 3,4,5,6 years?
The option of him staying may well be out of our hands anyway so I wouldn't worry about offering him a big deal too much
Hendowatch on 17:53 - Feb 8 with 4216 views442Dale

Jimmy Wagg totally surprised when a Dale supporting caller suggested Henderson may leave in the summer and end up at Bolton with Hill. Wagg said “Hendo” had taken over the “Mr Rochdale” status from “Jonah” and he’ll end his career at Spotland.

Good job he’s everyone’s pal and knows so much, eh?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hendowatch on 21:03 - Feb 8 with 4044 viewsmikehunt

ButGowling said something strange when Wagg asked him what he thought about Hendo going to Bolton and he said something like "I don't want to say too much". I may have misinterpreted what he was saying but it did sound odd.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Hendowatch on 14:56 - Feb 9 with 3761 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hendowatch on 21:03 - Feb 8 by mikehunt

ButGowling said something strange when Wagg asked him what he thought about Hendo going to Bolton and he said something like "I don't want to say too much". I may have misinterpreted what he was saying but it did sound odd.

Gowling's exact words:

"Well that would be interesting wouldn't it. I'm not trying to say too much because I don't want to upset Keith."

49 minutes onwards here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0815pyr

Starting to plan for life without Hendo will be a key factor in how successful next season is.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Hendowatch on 15:31 - Feb 9 with 3733 viewsEllDale

Shows how much Gowling is in thrall to the club when he’s scared of irritating the manager.
Talk about independent punditry!
Hendowatch on 16:25 - Feb 9 with 3668 viewsShun

Hendowatch on 14:56 - Feb 9 by RAFCBLUE

Gowling's exact words:

"Well that would be interesting wouldn't it. I'm not trying to say too much because I don't want to upset Keith."

49 minutes onwards here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0815pyr

Starting to plan for life without Hendo will be a key factor in how successful next season is.

Your last point is so crucial. BBM and the club will know more than anyone what Henderson has planned for next season. Personally I think he’ll be gone. If the club know this far in advance then it does at least give them time to plan.

It goes without saying that he’ll need to be replaced, but not just with a speculative loan striker, we need someone we’ve extensively scouted who we’re confident will come in and score double figures across a season. If we have to pay a fee so be it. If Henderson’s goals aren’t replaced we’ll be in League Two in 21/22 and the whole league knows it.
Hendowatch on 21:23 - Feb 9 with 3493 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hendowatch on 16:25 - Feb 9 by Shun

Your last point is so crucial. BBM and the club will know more than anyone what Henderson has planned for next season. Personally I think he’ll be gone. If the club know this far in advance then it does at least give them time to plan.

It goes without saying that he’ll need to be replaced, but not just with a speculative loan striker, we need someone we’ve extensively scouted who we’re confident will come in and score double figures across a season. If we have to pay a fee so be it. If Henderson’s goals aren’t replaced we’ll be in League Two in 21/22 and the whole league knows it.

We have typically not been great at succession planning.

Keith Hill's first leaving after four and a half years gave us Steve Eyre.
We lost Gary Jones without a proper goodbye and didn't ever replace him.
Chris Dunphy left after 30 years on the board without a proper plan to replace him.

Now we are about to lose someone who has contributed so much over the last 7 years; more than just the goals. Off the field he has help shape the futures of many saleable assets.

As much as I'd like to think we have a plan; history suggests not.

Combined with a CEO who hasn't attracted any player of note whilst in role and with a desire to trim costs at all costs, I can't see how he will allow a manager the funds to replace Henderson.

I never saw Reg Jenkins play so I can't compare to Ian Henderson but history shows our longest spell outside of the bottom division he has played in every season of it and contributed in every season of it.

I hope he breaks Reg's records.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Hendowatch on 21:41 - Feb 9 with 3473 viewsD_Alien

Hendowatch on 21:23 - Feb 9 by RAFCBLUE

We have typically not been great at succession planning.

Keith Hill's first leaving after four and a half years gave us Steve Eyre.
We lost Gary Jones without a proper goodbye and didn't ever replace him.
Chris Dunphy left after 30 years on the board without a proper plan to replace him.

Now we are about to lose someone who has contributed so much over the last 7 years; more than just the goals. Off the field he has help shape the futures of many saleable assets.

As much as I'd like to think we have a plan; history suggests not.

Combined with a CEO who hasn't attracted any player of note whilst in role and with a desire to trim costs at all costs, I can't see how he will allow a manager the funds to replace Henderson.

I never saw Reg Jenkins play so I can't compare to Ian Henderson but history shows our longest spell outside of the bottom division he has played in every season of it and contributed in every season of it.

I hope he breaks Reg's records.

Referring to not having a plan to replace Chris Dunphy is pretty naïve, don't you think?

[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 21:42]

Hendowatch on 21:52 - Feb 9 with 3459 viewsnordenblue

Hendowatch on 21:41 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

Referring to not having a plan to replace Chris Dunphy is pretty naïve, don't you think?

I'm pretty sure there was a clear plan for when Chris Dunphy "left",we're seeing the results of that now
Hendowatch on 22:15 - Feb 9 with 3429 viewsEllDale

I wouldn’t call it a plan.
More a plot.
Hendowatch on 04:53 - Feb 12 with 2879 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hendowatch on 21:41 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

A subjective call, but only as naive as knowingly running up a £1.2m loss (£23k a week) in the club in the same period whilst having a plan.

Hendowatch on 07:22 - Feb 12 with 2848 viewsEllDale

Did I detect some mutterings about Henderson on social media last night?
One or two criticisms of his apparent effort?
It would be a shame if dissatisfaction about the team started to tarnish his reputation.
The other thing I noticed last night was growing murmurings about HIll by Bolton fans.
The way they were talking he might not be there by the summer if they had their way..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024