Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread 17:16 - Aug 31 with 18381 viewsHullDale

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:14 - Sep 3 with 4629 viewsmikehunt

And yet, had SAJ not given the ball away when we weren’t in any danger, would we still have gone on to lose? I’m not so sure.
What Halifax did do, was show us, to their credit, how to see a match out.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:45 - Sep 3 with 4573 viewsBeechball

For me it's always been clear that the summer of 2017 was the turning point, the departures of Logan,Mendez-Laing , Allen and Lund, the arrival of Williams, Brown, Ntlhe and a much-diminished Done, the injury to Keane and decline in Davies' fitness set the ball rolling for our current plight.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 12:09 - Sep 3 with 4506 views49thseason

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:13 - Sep 3 by TVOS1907

I'm not sure anyone is dismissing the poor home form in any way, shape or form, but merely pointing out that it hasn't been good enough for the last six or seven years and not just since "the then Board sacked Hill".

Correct, it feels as though there is some sort of problem with playing at home, certainly teams coming to the COA don't seem to have a problem, its a nice wide pitch, a flat, even surface and should be a joy to play on but for our players it seems to cause uncertainty and poor decisions. Maybe they just try too hard, maybe they should train on the pitch once a week so it really does feel more like " home" . If they only turn up on matchdays perhaps there isnt much actual advantage, which from a football perspective might be OK but from a financial position is distinctly problematic. I wonder if they really are a" team" yet or just a bunch of footballers?
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 12:25 - Sep 3 with 4437 viewsfrenzied

All points made on the forum are valid.

Im sure each fan has different expectations of what we should achieve this season.

From promotion to bottom 4 spot im sure.

For me its a bottom half finish at best with what BJ has at his disposal even when all fit..long gone are the days when we had the likes of Buckley,Jones.Ogrady,Dawson gracing the Scotland surface.

At least the players we have now look talented enough to perform at this level.

Its definitely a better watch than the squad we had last season.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:07 - Sep 3 with 3984 viewsSandyman

Just been watching MOTD 2 for Man U losing amusement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001q83j/match-of-the-day-2-202324-0309202

After about 19 minutes, Jermaine Jenas deconstructs Manchester United's failings. If you look at what they are doing to achieve nothing, and what Rochdale did yesterday, the similarities are obvious and clueless in equal measure. A wake up call for Big Jim and the lads surely?
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 1:39]
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:39 - Sep 3 with 3947 viewsD_Alien

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:07 - Sep 3 by Sandyman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001q83j/match-of-the-day-2-202324-0309202

After about 19 minutes, Jermaine Jenas deconstructs Manchester United's failings. If you look at what they are doing to achieve nothing, and what Rochdale did yesterday, the similarities are obvious and clueless in equal measure. A wake up call for Big Jim and the lads surely?

Great point

Oduroh was introduced for Keohane and he found himself in acres of space on the right wing several times, a simple ball would've released him, but no... the ball was recycled between the midfield/defence. How simple would it have been for the manager to get the instructions through to the team?

Of course, i'm absolutely clueless about what i'm watching

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:25 - Sep 4 with 3732 viewsA_Newby

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:07 - Sep 3 by Sandyman

Not seen MOTD 2. I saw MOTD 1 where Jermaine Jena's highlighted problems with Burnley's style of play that I thought that's the problem with the Dales style of play too. About 14 mins in.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:33 - Sep 4 with 3712 viewsfermin

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 23:39 - Sep 3 by D_Alien

Great point

Oduroh was introduced for Keohane and he found himself in acres of space on the right wing several times, a simple ball would've released him, but no... the ball was recycled between the midfield/defence. How simple would it have been for the manager to get the instructions through to the team?

Of course, i'm absolutely clueless about what i'm watching

Yes, I was thinking that as well though not quite as specifically. However, it is also true that the Manchester United players are way better than ours and ten Hag is a much more experienced manager than McNulty with endless assistants on top and has had a lot of success. So, one might not be surprised that it happens with us if similar things happen at top clubs with international players and managers. I think this helps put things in perspective a bit. That is not to say that McNulty should not try and sort the problem out and learn from the experience.
Login to get fewer ads

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:44 - Sep 4 with 3604 viewsD_Alien

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:33 - Sep 4 by fermin

Yes, I was thinking that as well though not quite as specifically. However, it is also true that the Manchester United players are way better than ours and ten Hag is a much more experienced manager than McNulty with endless assistants on top and has had a lot of success. So, one might not be surprised that it happens with us if similar things happen at top clubs with international players and managers. I think this helps put things in perspective a bit. That is not to say that McNulty should not try and sort the problem out and learn from the experience.

That's also a very good point, and it is appreciated that JM's only a dozen or so games into his managerial career

I'm as desperate for him to succeed as anyone else, whilst remaining unconvinced and a bit annoyed by some of the hyperbole being spread after a couple of wins

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 12:40 - Sep 4 with 3422 viewsAtThePeake

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 20:11 - Sep 2 by 442Dale

Yes, I think everyone can work out what 50% means.

The fact is there is no correlation to the past, as we’ve already illustrated we do have alternative ways of playing to get results. Today we didn’t react to a team who knew to push our wide players inside to contest play. Simply out-thought on the day.

Thanks for the breakdown on opposition. If we look like winning half of the games comfortably, that is clear difference to recent years and would result in gaining an average of two points a game that will result in at least 22 points from half our home games (or 24 if counting twelve as half). Being more open to changing formation/positions was obvious, it’s no big thing as McNulty has done ok so far. He could do with players being back from injury/illness too.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 20:13]

The obsession with looking towards the past in relation to McNulty is bizarre. I can't remember another manager that's been constantly referred to with regards to previous seasons. "Part of the problem", "another who's swallowed the coaching manual" "a Stockdale/BBM acolyte" are all things that have been levelled at him before the season started. Now, when we've had a bad performance, it's being used in a context of bad home form over 3/4/5 seasons. Why? McNulty wasn't in charge for those 3/4/5 seasons.

Let's judge McNulty on his time in charge. Saturday was an example of where he needs to learn, but as you've correctly pointed out 442 it has no correlation to results under BBM, Stockdale or Bentley.

Tangled up in blue.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 13:00 - Sep 4 with 3370 viewsJames1980

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 12:40 - Sep 4 by AtThePeake

The obsession with looking towards the past in relation to McNulty is bizarre. I can't remember another manager that's been constantly referred to with regards to previous seasons. "Part of the problem", "another who's swallowed the coaching manual" "a Stockdale/BBM acolyte" are all things that have been levelled at him before the season started. Now, when we've had a bad performance, it's being used in a context of bad home form over 3/4/5 seasons. Why? McNulty wasn't in charge for those 3/4/5 seasons.

Let's judge McNulty on his time in charge. Saturday was an example of where he needs to learn, but as you've correctly pointed out 442 it has no correlation to results under BBM, Stockdale or Bentley.

Some folk just can't see pass 'Four Four, if it ain't broke don't fix it, effing Two'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:53 - Sep 4 with 3105 viewsDale_4_Life

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 13:00 - Sep 4 by James1980

Some folk just can't see pass 'Four Four, if it ain't broke don't fix it, effing Two'

Appreciate your sentiment James and your a sound bloke but were you there on Saturday.

You were not around in the 80's and 90's when Halifax was THE Derby game.

Saturday was as insipid as you could have imagined and to look second best for the whole game was gut wrenching for most.

Onwards to Kid'minster lets hope we strip leaner and meaner and more direct.

The next home game is against a well drilled Barnet (big physical lads) who will sit back mop up and then bully us if the same negative boring approach is adopted. It really is over to Jim and the players.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 15:13 - Sep 5 with 2618 viewsJames1980

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:53 - Sep 4 by Dale_4_Life

Appreciate your sentiment James and your a sound bloke but were you there on Saturday.

You were not around in the 80's and 90's when Halifax was THE Derby game.

Saturday was as insipid as you could have imagined and to look second best for the whole game was gut wrenching for most.

Onwards to Kid'minster lets hope we strip leaner and meaner and more direct.

The next home game is against a well drilled Barnet (big physical lads) who will sit back mop up and then bully us if the same negative boring approach is adopted. It really is over to Jim and the players.

Yes after a 14 hour journey from the South coast on Friday. It was insipid yes I would agree. Is there a reverse to the saying 'to one swallow doesn't make a summer' that would sum up my attitude to Saturday.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:08 - Sep 5 with 2456 viewsD_Alien

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 15:13 - Sep 5 by James1980

Yes after a 14 hour journey from the South coast on Friday. It was insipid yes I would agree. Is there a reverse to the saying 'to one swallow doesn't make a summer' that would sum up my attitude to Saturday.

Depends on how long you're prepared to continue erm... swallowing James

You deserve all the credit in the world for your support, and you've found a great community to be part of far from where you live. Our fans deserve to be entertained, as a minimum, regardless of the outcome

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 17:19 - Sep 5 with 2419 viewsDale_4_Life

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 15:13 - Sep 5 by James1980

You are a star James.. A true Daley that's for sure.

I was bitterly disappointed but now look forward to Kidderminster on Saturday.

I hope your right (deep breaths) lets see after 10/12 games.

My main concern is decent enough players having the decent part coached out of them. Its no surprise this trend has been happening now for far to long.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:58 - Sep 5 with 2297 viewsEllDale

I wondered today how many walk up tickets for the Sandy had been sold in the Dale Bar.
I was getting some grief at work from a couple of Halifax fans who hadn’t even been to the game.
One said that the train strike had put him off; the other remarked that he wasn’t going to pay £24.
FCHT did run coaches but were charging £15.
Like I remarked earlier in the thread most Halifax fans I know don’t see Dale as a derby match with the extra spice added to the fixture.
They see York as their derby game and Bradford City as their closest rivals.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 20:35 - Sep 5 with 2160 viewsTVOS1907

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:58 - Sep 5 by EllDale

I wondered today how many walk up tickets for the Sandy had been sold in the Dale Bar.
I was getting some grief at work from a couple of Halifax fans who hadn’t even been to the game.
One said that the train strike had put him off; the other remarked that he wasn’t going to pay £24.
Like I remarked earlier in the thread most Halifax fans I know don’t see Dale as a derby match with the extra spice added to the fixture.

Or they could have paid £2 on the 590 or th'Hebble.

Seems like excuses to me.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 09:34 - Sep 6 with 1834 viewsAtThePeake

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 18:58 - Sep 5 by EllDale

Do any Dale fans see Halifax as a closer rival than Oldham though? Or even Bury? Sure the fixture will regain some of that spice if we play against each other regularly over the next few seasons but I didn't view Saturday's game as a derby match by any stretch although understand there was a bit of a rivalry 20+ years ago.

Tangled up in blue.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:34 - Sep 6 with 1777 viewsEllDale

I think the rivalry started in the 1960's, particularly during and after the first promotion season.
For a long period in that decade Bury were in the second tier and so Dale didn't play them too often.
Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:54 - Sep 6 with 1738 viewsAtThePeake

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:34 - Sep 6 by EllDale

I think the rivalry started in the 1960's, particularly during and after the first promotion season.
For a long period in that decade Bury were in the second tier and so Dale didn't play them too often.

Fair play - but that's 60 years ago now so it's understandable if most fans on both sides don't really see it as a rivalry anymore! I've been going to Dale for 25 years and have very few memories of playing Halifax prior to Saturday, Paddy's wonder goal at the Shay aside.

Tangled up in blue.

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:58 - Sep 6 with 1658 viewsD_Alien

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 10:54 - Sep 6 by AtThePeake

Fair play - but that's 60 years ago now so it's understandable if most fans on both sides don't really see it as a rivalry anymore! I've been going to Dale for 25 years and have very few memories of playing Halifax prior to Saturday, Paddy's wonder goal at the Shay aside.

In many ways, the town of Halifax can be seen as a kind of mirror image of Rochdale, from opposite sides of the Lancs/Yorks Pennine border. It's been a different kind of rivalry than Bury or Oldham because of that

The Paddy McCourt last minute winner at the Shay in March 2002 which contributed to reaching the play-offs for the first time (a huge achievement back then!) was probably the last significant action before last weekend; still the last significant action, in fact

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 11:55 - Sep 7 with 1275 viewsfitzochris

Playing Halifax was certainly a game of note when I started watching Dale (late 80s) but this was born from a Lancashire/Yorkshire rivalry. Then they got relegated. All the fuss in terms of an actual derby match seemed to then occur when we played Burnley, then it was Bury, then it was Oldham.

Halifax popped back for a bit in the late 90s and early noughties, and I recall the games did have a bit of spice to them - Peake's overhead kick and the aforementioned McCourt goal helping our cause there.

The fact their fans were singing "one nil to the Yorkshire club" on Saturday, suggests this game is still about all it ever has been, a cross-county rivalry.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 12:06]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Halifax Town (H) Match Thread on 13:03 - Sep 7 with 1149 viewsEdindale

Halifax Town in April 1969 during our promotion season, is the best atmosphere I ever experienced at Spotland, and can still remember it now. We won 1-0 in front a crowd of over 12,000. Unfortunately they beat us 1-0 the following week depriving us of the runners up spot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024