Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? 06:18 - Jan 19 with 7958 viewsSandyman

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 07:53 - Jan 19 with 6633 viewsJames1980

Was the post on the website regarding the covers a tad optimistic or has the weather been worse than expected?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 08:15 - Jan 19 with 6589 viewsDalenet

Given they lost their manager, assistant manager and coach yesterday now could be a good time to play this game. Their Chairman is having to take charge of the team tomorrow alongside one of the players. Remember this is a part time side.

So hope it warms up and the pitch thaws. But for those that travel it would be helpful for an update this afternoon.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 10:35 - Jan 19 with 6342 viewsEllDale

It gives a bit more time if they’re travelling tomorrow. Halifax are inspecting their pitch at 2.00pm today as Maidenhead are due to set off shortly after that.
The club need the game to go ahead for cash flow reasons as well presumably.
There’ll be a few unhappy people though if Dale is off tomorrow and Hornets play on Sunday!
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 11:13 - Jan 19 with 6236 viewsDale_4_Life

I would get the covers up and let that sun hit the pitch for a few hours..

Pop them back down again at 4pm.. I guess its too late now as it must take a couple of hours to remove and another couple to pop back.

Fingers crossed the ground team have a decent plan for tomorrow morning.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 11:29 - Jan 19 with 6193 viewsBigKindo

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 11:13 - Jan 19 by Dale_4_Life

I would get the covers up and let that sun hit the pitch for a few hours..

Pop them back down again at 4pm.. I guess its too late now as it must take a couple of hours to remove and another couple to pop back.

Fingers crossed the ground team have a decent plan for tomorrow morning.

But there is always the problem of the strip of the pitch along the front of the main stand and which at this time of the year is always in shadow and gets no sun. In addition consideration will given to the state of the roads and pavements around the Spotland area and whether they are deemed to be safe for attendees to the match.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 12:16 - Jan 19 with 6025 viewsSandyman

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 07:53 - Jan 19 by James1980

Was the post on the website regarding the covers a tad optimistic or has the weather been worse than expected?

There was a bit more snow overnight, and it is not melting away. Any thoughts of a brisk thaw seem unlikely as of the time of this post.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:05 - Jan 19 with 5889 viewsMAK

I'll be amazed if its not on. Temperatures won't go below freezing now for at least a week and the snow and ice are melting fast in todays sun. It has been cold but it hasn't been THAT cold over the last 5 days, so the covers will have prevented most deep frozen ground. The way I think of it is this. If I took a pack of frozen meat out of the freezer now and popped it in the fridge, there's no doubt that by this time tomorrow it'd be well defrosted. I'm sure the pitch will be the same 🤞
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 14:39 - Jan 19 with 5619 viewsRAFCBLUE

FC Halifax vs Maidenhead called off as pitch has been deemed unplayable due to the continued freezing temperatures.

With tonight's forecast and the areas around the stadium needing to be considered, as well as the travel costs of Wealdstone, if they travel and the match is postponed I don't see how tomorrow will be on.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Login to get fewer ads

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 14:48 - Jan 19 with 5582 viewsdawlishdale

Match just been called off.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 14:52 - Jan 19 with 5555 viewslyberoc

It's off , just been announced
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 15:16 - Jan 19 with 5450 viewsRAFCBLUE

Looking at the picture the only decision and looks unlikely Hornets will be on on Sunday.

Assuming Dagenham goes ahead it will be 1 home game in 39 days by the time we play at home next.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 16:09 - Jan 19 with 5304 viewsJames1980

Shame that the game is off but safety is paramount of course. I will be donating the money for my train fare and a bit extra to the squad builder fund.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 16:32 - Jan 19 with 5221 viewsNorthernDale

I am not surprised, it is freezing and it will allow the team a few extra days rest before Tuesday visit to Altrincham.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 17:21 - Jan 19 with 5111 views442Dale

Understandable decision, though there’s a chance it could be ok by 3pm tomorrow. Can’t see any issues for Hornets, we have to hope the rain stays off so it doesn’t get too muddy.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 20:00 - Jan 19 with 4841 views49thseason

Its another match we will have to play when we hopefully have more players available... and some of the teams around us will be playing their games-in-hand on pitches that might be sub-optimal, perhaps leading to freak results....we can only hope...
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 20:23 - Jan 19 with 4804 viewsTVOS1907

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 20:00 - Jan 19 by 49thseason

Its another match we will have to play when we hopefully have more players available... and some of the teams around us will be playing their games-in-hand on pitches that might be sub-optimal, perhaps leading to freak results....we can only hope...

Given that Wealdstone are already due to play on the next five Tuesdays, there will be something up if we don't have the vast majority of our players available by the time the game is eventually rearranged!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 23:22 - Jan 19 with 4552 views49thseason

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 20:23 - Jan 19 by TVOS1907

Given that Wealdstone are already due to play on the next five Tuesdays, there will be something up if we don't have the vast majority of our players available by the time the game is eventually rearranged!

Exactly!
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 23:35 - Jan 19 with 4546 viewsThreeLions

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:05 - Jan 19 by MAK

I'll be amazed if its not on. Temperatures won't go below freezing now for at least a week and the snow and ice are melting fast in todays sun. It has been cold but it hasn't been THAT cold over the last 5 days, so the covers will have prevented most deep frozen ground. The way I think of it is this. If I took a pack of frozen meat out of the freezer now and popped it in the fridge, there's no doubt that by this time tomorrow it'd be well defrosted. I'm sure the pitch will be the same 🤞

I work nights and it has been bitterly cold this last week. Wednesday night was -8/9 C . Brass monkeys which would have got under the covers
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 11:21 - Jan 20 with 4218 viewsDaleiLama

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:05 - Jan 19 by MAK

Pity we weren't scheduled to play on a pound of mince?

I'm no expert, as I got an E in A level physics, but it stands to reason that just as small objects freeze quicker than large, the opposite must also be true. If you've ever had a large frozen turkey you'll know what I mean. Even Scotty couldn't change the laws of physics!

Edit: just got back from town and whilst I'm abt 25 miles from Dale I live on the edge of moorland in a similar setting and we had no snow on Thursday night but ground still rock hard with very little give in the surface.
[Post edited 20 Jan 11:25]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 12:39 - Jan 20 with 4070 viewsEllDale

There are quite a few disgruntled away supporters up and down the motorway network at the moment.
Eastleigh v Oldham, York v Fylde, Southend v Altrincham all postponed late this morning for example so it’s not just the Spotland pitch.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:09 - Jan 20 with 4012 viewsD_Alien

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 12:39 - Jan 20 by EllDale

There are quite a few disgruntled away supporters up and down the motorway network at the moment.
Eastleigh v Oldham, York v Fylde, Southend v Altrincham all postponed late this morning for example so it’s not just the Spotland pitch.

Aye, we've complained enough in the past about late postponements, so credit to the club for getting the decision made early

I wonder if it enabled us to cancel costly matchday requirements, like catering and stewarding, which would've made our finances even worse?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:31 - Jan 20 with 3949 viewsRAFCBLUE

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 17:21 - Jan 19 by 442Dale

Understandable decision, though there’s a chance it could be ok by 3pm tomorrow. Can’t see any issues for Hornets, we have to hope the rain stays off so it doesn’t get too muddy.

Hornets is also off tomorrow.

The obvious right decision to protect the pitch for the rest of January and beyond.

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:44 - Jan 20 with 3916 views442Dale

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:31 - Jan 20 by RAFCBLUE

Hornets is also off tomorrow.

The obvious right decision to protect the pitch for the rest of January and beyond.

Yes, having read the info provided on the Hornets site I understand that. Originally thought with the weather warming up it would no longer be frozen by tomorrow.

It’s good we are able to work with Hornets for the greater good these days.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:52 - Jan 20 with 3884 viewsEllDale

From the sound of that announcement Dale might have struggled if they had been at home on Tuesday never mind today.
Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 14:24 - Jan 20 with 3808 viewsRAFCBLUE

Saturday V Wealdstone - what do you think? on 13:52 - Jan 20 by EllDale

From the sound of that announcement Dale might have struggled if they had been at home on Tuesday never mind today.

The pitch will be pristine by the end January 2024 having only had 3 games on it since the 22nd November 2023.

It will need careful handling though once the thaw comes to stop it becoming a quagmire.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024