Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First band you saw live 20:35 - Jan 26 with 25324 viewsjoecooke

Saw this one on another forum and thought it was a belter.Got to be at a proper venue.

Mine was for my sins Haircut 100 around 82 at the Apollo .(free tickets obviously!)

Fortunately i managed to see The specials about 6 months later.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

First band you saw live on 21:35 - Jul 13 with 1957 viewstodmordendale

The Herd with Peter Frampton in 1967 at Clayton Lodge Hotel, Newcastle under Lyme
From the underworld or what ?
First band you saw live on 22:46 - Jul 13 with 1864 viewsncfc_chalky

The first gig that I went to was solely to keep my mate company because he had acquired two free tickets from somewhere,he promised me that I would love the two groups playing and the first one up was called Gay Bikers On Acid and I couldn't believe such crap could get such a decent following but at least the second band is always better right? Well the next band on was called Lesbian Dopeheads On Mopeds and was the same band as before but dressed up in drag and they played the same set again but dressed as women!
The first group that I paid to see was Crazy Cavern back in '79ish

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

First band you saw live on 22:52 - Jul 13 with 1837 viewsdingdangblue

The Wonderstuff, Manchester G-Mex 1991.
Went with my cousin who was a massive fan of theirs and was hooked.
Brilliant band live - saw them many times since.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

First band you saw live on 22:56 - Jul 13 with 1825 viewsmingthemerciless

First gig - The Rolling Stones at the Cubi-club in Rochdale. It’s just a shame they never turned up. I never did get my 10/- back. First gig were the band actually turned up and played - The Kinks, again at the Cubi in Rochdale. I only went because my girlfriend at the time was mad on them but to be honest they were brilliant that night.
First band you saw live on 22:58 - Jul 13 with 1810 viewsHopwoodblue

Blue Oyster Cult Manchester Apollo

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

First band you saw live on 23:30 - Jul 13 with 1775 viewsSandyman

Mott The Hoople, supported by a new band called Queen. Manchester Opera House 1973
First band you saw live on 23:36 - Jul 13 with 1768 viewsdownunder

First band you saw live on 22:56 - Jul 13 by mingthemerciless

First gig - The Rolling Stones at the Cubi-club in Rochdale. It’s just a shame they never turned up. I never did get my 10/- back. First gig were the band actually turned up and played - The Kinks, again at the Cubi in Rochdale. I only went because my girlfriend at the time was mad on them but to be honest they were brilliant that night.

My sister Andrea was at both those events. Did you see the Black Cat Bones? Two of them (Kossof and Kirke) went on to be a members of Free. My sister ran their Fan club for a while.
First band you saw live on 23:38 - Jul 13 with 1761 viewsSuddenLad

Deep Purple, Kings Hall, Belle Vue 1970. They were fantastic.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

First band you saw live on 23:48 - Jul 13 with 1752 viewsdale5758

david bowie and the spiders from mars 1974 free trade hall

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

First band you saw live on 00:05 - Jul 14 with 1734 viewsmikehunt

First band you saw live on 21:26 - Jul 13 by philwolstenholme

I am that guitarist and I can assure you I still have all my digits. I wasn’t a butcher’s apprentice but did go and work as a commis chef for a while. Happy you found the show so memorable!

Bloody hell, Phil. I nearly missed this reply.
Firstly, let me say how amazed I am that you even saw my post in the first place 😀 The ravages of time certainly play tricks with the memory but you losing your fingers in a meat chopping incident was the rumour at the time. Did I get the other bits right though? Your age etc?
Screaming Warthog we’re so good at the time. I was 15 myself at the time and along with Chris Hewitt - whom I presume you know? (Did you get paid 😀) - was part of the “committee” who helped organise the gig. I knew the vicar and my mum made cups of tea for the hippies in the church hall kitchen. A really surreal evening.
I also heard more people attended St Peter’s church hall that night than turned up for the Greasy Bear gig at Rochdale College the same evening.
I ended up in a band called Howard the Duck (voted eighth best band in Rochdale by the Rochdale Observer Think there were only seven bands at the time 😀)
What happened to you and your guitar playing? Were you in any other bands?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 0:11]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

First band you saw live on 05:25 - Jul 14 with 1635 viewsdownunder

First band you saw live on 21:26 - Jul 13 by philwolstenholme

I am that guitarist and I can assure you I still have all my digits. I wasn’t a butcher’s apprentice but did go and work as a commis chef for a while. Happy you found the show so memorable!

Trying not confuse things, but coincidentally, I did lose a digit in a work accident, which severely hindered my chances of my guitar playing reaching a reasonable standard. Switched to keyboard and synth, in which i also failed to reach a reasonable standard. Band was The Fence, we played mainly in Oldham area, but also once a month at The Lancashire Lass, and twice in Nell Rackers, which were memorable.
First band you saw live on 08:40 - Jul 14 with 1551 views1949er

The Animals backing Chuck Berry Manchester Odeon 1961

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

First band you saw live on 08:47 - Jul 14 with 1540 viewsBlueMessiah

Rush - Deeside Leisure Centre 1980. Rubber mats covering the ice rink. Had cold feet.

Poll: Do I Know You?

First band you saw live on 09:14 - Jul 14 with 1502 viewselectricblue

First band you saw live on 09:42 - Jan 27 by Bingoballs

Queen - Elland Road 1982.

Disappointing concert only plus side was Heart.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

First band you saw live on 09:22 - Jul 14 with 1492 viewsDalliance

Faith No More supported by Riot Grrl band L7 at the NEC. Some time in the early 90s. Wasn't really my thing but I enjoyed it.

Think the first gig of my choice might have been Mega City Four at the Jug of Ale in Moseley Birmingham. I remember it mainly because they did a great Husker Du cover.
First band you saw live on 10:02 - Jul 14 with 1451 viewsjudd

Tangerine Dream, Free Trade Hall, Manchester and got to meet them.

Poll: What is it to be then?

First band you saw live on 10:22 - Jul 14 with 1431 viewsBucketBstard

The Clash Manchester Apollo 1978
First band you saw live on 10:53 - Jul 14 with 1388 viewsDaleiLama

Elvis Costello and the Attractions supported by Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clark (legend)

Biffo Civic Hall on ma n pa's wedding anniversary 1979

[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 11:00]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First band you saw live on 10:59 - Jul 14 with 1378 viewsFred_Talbot

First band you saw live on 10:53 - Jul 14 by DaleiLama

Elvis Costello and the Attractions supported by Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clark (legend)

Biffo Civic Hall on ma n pa's wedding anniversary 1979

[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 11:00]

Was that the one where Elvis Costello fell off the stage?
I’m sure my brother went to that gig

Where's Fred?

First band you saw live on 11:20 - Jul 14 with 1333 viewswatford_dale

Anthrax manchester apollo 1987

Great but blown away by Metallica who I saw a year later at the same venue.
First band you saw live on 11:20 - Jul 14 with 1331 viewsmingthemerciless

First band you saw live on 08:40 - Jul 14 by 1949er

The Animals backing Chuck Berry Manchester Odeon 1961

I went to that but it wasn’t 1961 it was in the early summer of 1964. Just before The Animals released “ The House Of The Rising Sun “. That gig was the first time I’d ever heard it but we all knew it was going to be a classic.
First band you saw live on 11:22 - Jul 14 with 1327 viewsDaleiLama

First band you saw live on 10:59 - Jul 14 by Fred_Talbot

Was that the one where Elvis Costello fell off the stage?
I’m sure my brother went to that gig

Well ........

Honestly Fred, I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, what with my memory

I did a quick Google and found this tribute which mentioned Bradley's Records and that concert, but no mention of that incident.

https://aata.dev/index.php/2020/05/19/costello-by-andrew-moorhouse/

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First band you saw live on 11:22 - Jul 14 with 1321 viewsmingthemerciless

First band you saw live on 23:36 - Jul 13 by downunder

My sister Andrea was at both those events. Did you see the Black Cat Bones? Two of them (Kossof and Kirke) went on to be a members of Free. My sister ran their Fan club for a while.

Yes I saw them many times, they were regulars at the Cubi along with bands like David John & The Mood and The Measles etc.
First band you saw live on 12:04 - Jul 14 with 1253 viewssxdale

Guns n Roses when they played Maine Rd some point in 90's along with Watford n his bro, GnR disappointing but Faith No More were awesome.
Technically first gig was the Houghton Weavers on town hall square some point in 70's dragged along kicking n screaming by me folks !
First band you saw live on 12:21 - Jul 14 with 2041 viewsWalboro

Dire Straits at the Apollo Live in 85 Tour followed by Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night tour at Maine Rd.Both class. Most recent was UB40 at Scarborough Open Air which was also class
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024