Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Large Scale Apathy 12:06 - Jun 9 with 5532 viewsSaintNick

Im truly worried by the number of Saints supporters walking away from the club judging by the number I have spoken to who have not renewed season tickets

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Large Scale Apathy on 22:38 - Jun 9 with 1659 views1885_SFC

On the day that the Premier League fine the six breakaway 'European Super League' clubs a combined measly total of £22M instead of a deserved points deduction - you know the modern game is utter bollocks.

Old School is Cool

Large Scale Apathy on 23:36 - Jun 9 with 1607 viewsElijahK

Mate, as someone who’s only getting one as I get some massive discount for certain reasons, I don’t blame them! These days football seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on! As the quality of the players may improve, but the game in general sure doesn’t! And really you can narrow it down to 3 simple reasons.

1: VAR! Personally as an official myself, I do think VAR should be kept, but simply just for things that people can’t argue with like whether a foul is committed inside/outside the box, mistaken identity and offside (although I think it should be measured from the shoes only). But the issue I’ve got with it, is that you just simply can’t celebrate goals anymore as VAR just overrules them!

2: Money! Real fans can’t afford to go to games anymore whilst loads of people who say they’re “fans” go, but don’t really care and are the sort of ones that complain when people are singing songs or standing up at an away game! As these days, unless your in the Itchen North, or the Northern stand, nobody sings anymore, and this is mainly down to this unfortunately.

3: Competitiveness. This is very connected to the money side of things, but it’s always the same tea,s getting into Europe now! I mean over the last like 12 years, only twice has the top 7 not consisted of all of the classic “top 6” teams (Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man U and Liverpool) and many players just care about money and not the game anymore. But as I said earlier, it’s also down to money as basically everyone just buys their position these days and it’s just ruining football!

These 3 reasons are simply why people aren’t going and why I myself am even getting bored and fed up of football (or at least the Prem), as personally I’d of liked the ESL as it would’ve made the prem WAY more competitive, where we’d be up there with the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leicester etc battling for the title!

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Large Scale Apathy on 23:43 - Jun 9 with 1604 viewsElijahK

Large Scale Apathy on 15:17 - Jun 9 by DellHero_Would

I packed it in after the last European matches. I got fed up with the constant moaning and groaning at St Mary’s and kids standing there looking at their mobile phones the entire time.

And to be blunt, I can’t stand the attitude of a lot of the players. Walking around laughing and smiling when we’re loosing.

I still go to a few away matches, mostly the London games, but I’m done with modern football.

It ain’t just kids though, and that’s the issue! As real fans can’t afford to go anymore and that’s why only the Northern and Intchen north actually sing and show support at games anymore

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Large Scale Apathy on 06:39 - Jun 10 with 1561 viewsbarry_sanchez

We need to go down, we deserve it for showing a disregard to competition, our mantra is a parasitic one in simply trying to hang in there and get the tv money (like many too be fair) and this is one of the reasons I wasn't arsed the scab 6 wanted out, it'd have made it more interesting at the very least.
If we go down at least we can look up and say thats where we want to be, what can we honestly say about next season, our bell end owner has never even set out what his intentions are, stagnant and treading water is seen as an achievement, sport should be more than that, that is why people are walking away.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 9:38]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Large Scale Apathy on 07:37 - Jun 10 with 1523 viewskingslandstand1

Large Scale Apathy on 22:38 - Jun 9 by 1885_SFC

On the day that the Premier League fine the six breakaway 'European Super League' clubs a combined measly total of £22M instead of a deserved points deduction - you know the modern game is utter bollocks.

This
Large Scale Apathy on 07:49 - Jun 10 with 1508 viewsdwayne_dibley

Large Scale Apathy on 22:38 - Jun 9 by 1885_SFC

so very true

but also applies to so many other things like business, retail and even healthcare

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Large Scale Apathy on 08:17 - Jun 10 with 1479 viewsHeisenberg

Too expensive. VAR. Players screaming when they get tackled. Players falling over every time someone goes near them. Sky. Pundits talking nonsense. Players who kiss the badge then 5 minutes later whine about moving to another club. The Liverpool love fest. Glory seekers. Rich clubs dominating. FA Cup no longer what it was. Fans on mobile phones. Stupid haircuts. Every club player and pundit promoting betting companies. As for Saints they are merely there to make up the numbers enjoying the privilege to play clubs funded by Middle East oil tycoons or Russian oligarchs happy to dump the league when it suits them.

I'm done with it all. I will choose to spend my disposable income elsewhere thanks.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Large Scale Apathy on 08:42 - Jun 10 with 1470 views1ASIN12

I’m not surprised if take up is down on previous seasons and I don’t think its all “apathy”

Covid has change a lot of people’s lives health, financial all could mean some are now unable to justify a season ticket or £30+ for a match ticket.

Some fans have realised that football is the the be all and end all snd have found other things to do on a Saturday/ Sunday . As they say once you get out the habit of going it’s hard to get back into it .

I used to hate watching Saints on TV and would always much rather be there , now I have got used to it . I was 50/50 as to wether to goto the Leeds game or sit at home and watch it on TV in the end it was the pull of seeing my mates , not going to ST Mary’s that swung it .

If my mates stopped going i would eventually probably stop too.

There are enough good quality streams now to watch every match at home if that’s what you wanted .

I think the club are going to be in for a shock if they thought after 18 months of no football they would see an increase in ticket sales .

I honestly think if the club had put a cushion on my seat and tried to charge me a grand I would of told them to fvck off and not renew .
Login to get fewer ads

Large Scale Apathy on 10:36 - Jun 10 with 1398 viewssaints__fan__73

Nick, are you really surprised?

The past 2 years have prove beyond any doubt that Premier League football is a sport for the TV audience. Fans who go to games in person are an utter irrelevance, they have been replaced for almost two seasons by a crowd noise generator and some colourful posters put over the seats, so no surprise the remaining ones who do go are being put off by absurd pricing and the fact they can support the team from the sofa.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Large Scale Apathy on 11:55 - Jun 10 with 1364 viewsJim_Royle

I haven’t renewed ours yet, and even then it is very cheap for me bearing in mind I go as a carer
For my disabled daughter, so I can’t use the cost argument. For me, it is a real ball
Ache getting there in the first place. Wheelchair, parking, accessibility, etc make it a logistical nightmare. I don’t mind losing, god knows I be been a supporter for 40
Years so used to it. All I want is that other teams know that they are in for a rough ride, will get there noses tweaked, and it will be a difficult afternoon when they play
Saints. It just not the way, we roll over and get our tummy tickled.
After all that we have to do the whole journey back, it’s not easy.
But then we get a good result at home and then all is forgotten.
I don’t know what the answer is really…it’s just Saints I suppose.

watchdog? i am watching a dog.

Large Scale Apathy on 12:07 - Jun 10 with 1354 viewsBuenosSaint

Large Scale Apathy on 10:36 - Jun 10 by saints__fan__73

Nick, are you really surprised?

The past 2 years have prove beyond any doubt that Premier League football is a sport for the TV audience. Fans who go to games in person are an utter irrelevance, they have been replaced for almost two seasons by a crowd noise generator and some colourful posters put over the seats, so no surprise the remaining ones who do go are being put off by absurd pricing and the fact they can support the team from the sofa.

Good post.

I'm overseas and was discussing this with my house mate who has never been to England and who is a Chelsea 'fan'. We were debating what it meant to be a fan.

After all the usual, I was bringing in more obscure points for example, how nearly every "fan" In this country could not even sing one of the more original songs of the big six or rather big 4 teams they so called support. They knew next to no history and could not even explain why a team had a certain nickname for example.

He said that it is none of that is relevant anymore. , anyone can still enjoy the game and enjoy watching their team "win".

The premier League has been built and developed for the global masses and 2 fingers to the locals who are now an irrelevance financially.

Coming back to Saints, after wearing my heart on my sleeve for sfc for approaching 40 years, I'm choosing to be apathetic ( several of my mates did this years ago). This season was way to much hope and collapse to be healthy. But, I do tip my hat to those still going strong, and heck, if and when I am back in sunny soton, no doubt I'll still go, but, as others said, primarily to take and spend time with kids and/or mates. The football itself would be secondary now, sadly.

Poll: The Long Future

Large Scale Apathy on 12:33 - Jun 10 with 1335 viewsdwayne_dibley

Large Scale Apathy on 12:07 - Jun 10 by BuenosSaint

Good post.

I'm overseas and was discussing this with my house mate who has never been to England and who is a Chelsea 'fan'. We were debating what it meant to be a fan.

After all the usual, I was bringing in more obscure points for example, how nearly every "fan" In this country could not even sing one of the more original songs of the big six or rather big 4 teams they so called support. They knew next to no history and could not even explain why a team had a certain nickname for example.

He said that it is none of that is relevant anymore. , anyone can still enjoy the game and enjoy watching their team "win".

The premier League has been built and developed for the global masses and 2 fingers to the locals who are now an irrelevance financially.

Coming back to Saints, after wearing my heart on my sleeve for sfc for approaching 40 years, I'm choosing to be apathetic ( several of my mates did this years ago). This season was way to much hope and collapse to be healthy. But, I do tip my hat to those still going strong, and heck, if and when I am back in sunny soton, no doubt I'll still go, but, as others said, primarily to take and spend time with kids and/or mates. The football itself would be secondary now, sadly.

that is a sentiment that unfortunately I have come to agree with after 50 years of being a ST holder

The Premier League is an entertainment business aimed at a global media audience. Loval supporters are a bit of window dressing and add little to the main revenue stream. The matches without fans demonstrated that totally.

It was as if the players were glad their were no spectators present to call them out on their "could not give a toss" attitude

Large Scale Apathy on 12:38 - Jun 10 with 1335 viewsPoirot

A combination of cost and terrible recent home record, so its no suprise. The problem is though when you give up a season ticket most dont buy one ever again.
Large Scale Apathy on 21:22 - Jun 11 with 1162 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-06-11/hospitality-southampton-fc-announc

Is this all Saints can do for "its fans"? I wonder which Saints fans will be clambering to pay thousands for this.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2021 21:26]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Large Scale Apathy on 22:28 - Jun 11 with 1114 viewskernow

Laughable.
Large Scale Apathy on 22:31 - Jun 11 with 1110 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Large Scale Apathy on 21:22 - Jun 11 by Saintsforeverj

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-06-11/hospitality-southampton-fc-announc

Is this all Saints can do for "its fans"? I wonder which Saints fans will be clambering to pay thousands for this.

Utter guff.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Large Scale Apathy on 07:30 - Jun 12 with 1009 viewsdwayne_dibley

says it all

Gasworks burger in a bowl

Large Scale Apathy on 10:53 - Jun 12 with 935 viewsBicester_North

Large Scale Apathy on 22:31 - Jun 11 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Utter guff.

“Statement cheese table”

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Large Scale Apathy on 11:34 - Jun 12 with 917 viewsdwayne_dibley

looks like a plastic Wetherspoons

[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 11:36]

Large Scale Apathy on 13:32 - Jun 12 with 874 viewskingolaf

I am constantly amazed that similar sized clubs to ours have much more ambition than we do.

It was exactly the same under Lowe and Kat. The only time I can remember in recent times that it was any different was when we had Marcus and Cortese.

Why should I shell out hard earned dough to a club that are happy to finish 4th from bottom? I feel sorry for Ralph and Semmens who are trying to do a job with one hand tied behind their backs. No way am I putting money into a club owned by Gao and the odious Kat.
Large Scale Apathy on 17:27 - Jun 12 with 786 viewsBerber

Large Scale Apathy on 21:22 - Jun 11 by Saintsforeverj

No club needs sh**heads representing that kind of tosh to its fanbase. Ultimately, this is Semmens responsibility, and clearly, he doesn't give a ferk about what the attending fans and ST holders want or need. They will keep putting out those ridiculous surveys until they get the answer they want. It's like being in the EU.
Large Scale Apathy on 17:58 - Jun 12 with 769 viewsSaintsforeverj

Large Scale Apathy on 17:27 - Jun 12 by Berber

No club needs sh**heads representing that kind of tosh to its fanbase. Ultimately, this is Semmens responsibility, and clearly, he doesn't give a ferk about what the attending fans and ST holders want or need. They will keep putting out those ridiculous surveys until they get the answer they want. It's like being in the EU.

And the only people they will get who are prepared to pay this sort of money will be big businesses full of supporters of the top clubs, who will be desperate to see their heroes. Don't know about you, but I don't know many extremely rich Saints fans from Southampton. The proper fans are being sieved out for corporates at a club that doesn't have many corporates.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Large Scale Apathy on 18:48 - Jun 12 with 749 viewsPoirot

I think generally STs sales were in the upper thousand teens, I expect several thousand less taking everything into account.

Nobody should be renewing in block 31, it should be empty.
Large Scale Apathy on 22:32 - Jun 12 with 694 views1teeminants

Large Scale Apathy on 13:32 - Jun 12 by kingolaf

I am constantly amazed that similar sized clubs to ours have much more ambition than we do.

It was exactly the same under Lowe and Kat. The only time I can remember in recent times that it was any different was when we had Marcus and Cortese.

Why should I shell out hard earned dough to a club that are happy to finish 4th from bottom? I feel sorry for Ralph and Semmens who are trying to do a job with one hand tied behind their backs. No way am I putting money into a club owned by Gao and the odious Kat.

Even though Cortese spent money we didn’t have it’s one of the very few times I felt we might be actually be going somewhere, many seasons have been very tedious , I’ll still go though with my son because it’s part of what I do .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Large Scale Apathy on 22:38 - Jun 12 with 682 viewsBicester_North

Large Scale Apathy on 13:32 - Jun 12 by kingolaf

What about the 75 or so league clubs who are shitter than us? The lower leagues are full of proper fans who go and watch despite never having any success

I hate this argument of “we have no ambition” and all that bollocks. Yes our owners are shit but we still got to a semi final and a relatively comfortable premier league survival after having topped the table in late November. Makes us sounds like babyish whining tw@ts

The real reason proper fans don’t want to go is the premier league greed fest and being swamped by utter w@nkers who play it, watch it and cover it in the media

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024