Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back 08:24 - Feb 29 with 1933 viewsHeisenberg

Last night there were a few occasions when the playing out from the back looked great. Equally there were the same occasions when we gave the ball away in dangerous areas. We were playing Liverpool’s youth team. If we did this against better finishers we would have got absolutely hammered. RM needs to realise we are not Man C and do not have world class players across the pitch. It will cost us and if we go up there is no way we can play like this. Pundits are all saying it’s admirable in its aspirations but is a high risk strategy that will ultimately cost us.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Playing out from the back on 09:04 - Feb 29 with 1844 viewssaint22

Totally agreement
Again it’s about a plan B, that tactic works SOMETIMES but not every time, we have no alternative it seems
Numerous times Liverpool did it but then their full backs also pinged balls down the line for their wingers which we NEVER do
It’s always sideways and backwards
And as you say we don’t have the quality back there to make it work all the time
Especially without KWP and THB!
But Wussell knows best
Playing out from the back on 09:08 - Feb 29 with 1844 viewssaintjeff52

'Suicide Defending', as I've seen it called, is not just a problem for us. Chelsea gave an horrendous goal to Leeds last night, with the goalie tip tap passing in the goal area at a goal kick. A Leeds player took the ball from a Chelsea defender, and Leeds scored an easy goal.
Brighton were prone to 'Suicide Defending' under Potter a couple of seasons ago.
Similarly, Bazuna has gifted several goals to the opposition this season.
Try switching it up from time to time, and Hoof the K'in Ball upfield occasionally. { sorry, pass the ball forward, as I've also seen it called. It does work. The City Goalkeeper has been known to get an 'Assist' when playing long ball to his forwards, bypassing the midfield.}
Playing out from the back on 09:10 - Feb 29 with 1841 viewsSalisburySaint

Most of our goals scoring opportunities last night came from playing it around at the back and finding space in midfield for Aribo and Rothwell,so to me it worked, apart from poor finishing, and it certainly didn’t contribute to the goals we conceded
Playing out from the back on 09:21 - Feb 29 with 1816 views1teeminants

Playing out from the back on 09:10 - Feb 29 by SalisburySaint

Most of our goals scoring opportunities last night came from playing it around at the back and finding space in midfield for Aribo and Rothwell,so to me it worked, apart from poor finishing, and it certainly didn’t contribute to the goals we conceded

I also thought it worked quite well and the ITV team said we looked good although Keane did say they will be caught out sooner or later but let’s be honest here with good finishing we could have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

Sulemana hit the post, Mara missed a couple when he really should have scored, also their first goal was a Bednarek own goal, massive deflection ffs.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Playing out from the back on 09:53 - Feb 29 with 1736 viewsIfonly

The real problem with this tactic is that the risk/reward is all wrong. We take enormous risks and if we get it right every time, we get into midfield with some space to work (which will probably come to nothing). But on the other hand, all we have to do is get it wrong once and we present the opposition with a brilliant chance to score.

People say it looks good when it works and it creates us opportunities - well great, but there are other ways of doing that with far less risk. Until the last few years, football wisdom developed over 100 years said that you don't dick around at the back. All that has changed in the last couple of years, but one day people will realise again the stupidity of this for the average team and go back to the old wisdom.
Playing out from the back on 10:38 - Feb 29 with 1660 viewssaints__fan__73

If we do this in the PL we'll concede a minimum of 3 goals every game and Rusty will be gone before the clocks go back.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Playing out from the back on 10:51 - Feb 29 with 1642 viewsSonicBoom

i just don't get it. It's a huge risk for the "possibility" of getting into midfield and potentially getting a chance at the end of it.
I'd be happy if I were the defending team because I'd think Saints have to get a lot spot on for it to end in a chance. Whereas we only have to do one thing wrong to present the other team with the ball very close to our goal.

Also it means the other team know and can push up on us at every opportunity. They can hear and feel the nervousness in the crowd and they can see that Bazunu is often edgy when he has the ball. So as others have said, the risk seems far greater than the reward.
Playing out from the back on 10:52 - Feb 29 with 1640 viewsobelisk

In the first half last night Saints passed the ball neatly and quickly out of defence on a number of occasions which resulted in some good attacking scenarios. If we had attackers who were composed enough to actually turn those opportunities into goals then it might be possible to defend the risk/reward tactics at least some of the time.

As it is last night showed yet again that Saints run out of ideas far too often in the final third and that makes the tippy-tappy passing in defence pretty much all risk and very little reward. At the very least mix it up with some long balls in behind more often.
Login to get fewer ads

Playing out from the back on 11:36 - Feb 29 with 1585 viewsgrumpy

Bazunu for all faults can distribute great long balls but is not encouraged to do so. Last night our goalkeeper threw the ball just outside his penalty area to a saints player who had 3 Liverpool players stood close to him, madness.
Playing out from the back on 11:56 - Feb 29 with 1554 viewscocklebreath

Playing out from the back on 09:10 - Feb 29 by SalisburySaint

Agreed and Ally Mcoist was most excited by it but it only worked because Liverpool had no midfield after they pressed

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Playing out from the back on 11:57 - Feb 29 with 1556 viewsyateleysaint

Playing out from the back on 10:51 - Feb 29 by SonicBoom

i just don't get it. It's a huge risk for the "possibility" of getting into midfield and potentially getting a chance at the end of it.
I'd be happy if I were the defending team because I'd think Saints have to get a lot spot on for it to end in a chance. Whereas we only have to do one thing wrong to present the other team with the ball very close to our goal.

Also it means the other team know and can push up on us at every opportunity. They can hear and feel the nervousness in the crowd and they can see that Bazunu is often edgy when he has the ball. So as others have said, the risk seems far greater than the reward.

This is bang on.

It’s like the IRA to Thatcher after the Brighton bombing: “We only have to be lucky once. You have to be lucky every time.”

In this scenario Saints are Thatcher and everyone we play is the IRA.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Playing out from the back on 12:06 - Feb 29 with 1517 viewsBuggalugs

Playing out from the back on 09:53 - Feb 29 by Ifonly

The real problem with this tactic is that the risk/reward is all wrong. We take enormous risks and if we get it right every time, we get into midfield with some space to work (which will probably come to nothing). But on the other hand, all we have to do is get it wrong once and we present the opposition with a brilliant chance to score.

People say it looks good when it works and it creates us opportunities - well great, but there are other ways of doing that with far less risk. Until the last few years, football wisdom developed over 100 years said that you don't dick around at the back. All that has changed in the last couple of years, but one day people will realise again the stupidity of this for the average team and go back to the old wisdom.

Spot on

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Playing out from the back on 12:07 - Feb 29 with 1514 views1teeminants

Playing out from the back on 10:38 - Feb 29 by saints__fan__73

If we do this in the PL we'll concede a minimum of 3 goals every game and Rusty will be gone before the clocks go back.

If we get into the premier league we won’t have half these players because they are good championship players but not premier league players. I think most people realise that.

There’s a huge gap in quality . That’s why the same teams win every trophy every bloody year because they can afford the best players in the world and that’s why imo the premier league is dull as dishwater but there seems to be many who can’t wait to get back there for some strange reason.

It’s only worth going up jf we’re going to spend the dosh which we won’t so if we do get promoted look forward to getting smashed most weeks and feeling Shyte .
[Post edited 29 Feb 12:12]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Playing out from the back on 12:10 - Feb 29 with 1501 viewsBuggalugs

Playing out from the back on 12:07 - Feb 29 by 1teeminants

If we get into the premier league we won’t have half these players because they are good championship players but not premier league players. I think most people realise that.

There’s a huge gap in quality . That’s why the same teams win every trophy every bloody year because they can afford the best players in the world and that’s why imo the premier league is dull as dishwater but there seems to be many who can’t wait to get back there for some strange reason.

It’s only worth going up jf we’re going to spend the dosh which we won’t so if we do get promoted look forward to getting smashed most weeks and feeling Shyte .
[Post edited 29 Feb 12:12]

Don't forget the fact that half the team (mainly the the better ones) aren't our players anyway.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Playing out from the back on 16:54 - Feb 29 with 1247 viewsBridders2

Playing out from the back on 09:53 - Feb 29 by Ifonly

Agreed.
Watching the City fa Cup game, RM thinks he's copying them, but they only dwell on the ball for a few passes at the back before they quickly get it forward. For every short ball at the back, their keeper played a long ball up field, usually to a player who immediately attacked, or flicked it on to a player in an attacking position. No fanying around, one or two kicks and it's and it's in a dangerous area. I know they've got world class players but they are not slaves to possession football like us. RM needs to take note.
Playing out from the back on 17:25 - Feb 29 with 1205 viewsSalisburySaint

Serious question for those complaining about playing the ball around at the back.

How many of the goals last night were due to that last night, and Nb I don’t consider the second goal in this category, as it was in midfield where Manning was pushing forward
Playing out from the back on 17:44 - Feb 29 with 1180 viewsgrumpy

Playing out from the back on 17:25 - Feb 29 by SalisburySaint

Serious question for those complaining about playing the ball around at the back.

How many of the goals last night were due to that last night, and Nb I don’t consider the second goal in this category, as it was in midfield where Manning was pushing forward

Lucky we were playing Liverpool Youth or it could have been embarrassing.
Playing out from the back on 18:14 - Feb 29 with 1153 viewsIfonly

What difference does that make? We nearly gave away a couple last night doing this. Gakpo was presented with a sitter but dawdled. But last night's just one match against a young team and as Klopp said afterwards their pressing was uncoordinated and they still have a lot to learn.

The real question is whether this tactic will work against well drilled teams in the play offs or in the Prem. I don't think so. I think we'll give away stupid goals like we did under Selles in the Prem, but even more because we now use the tactic even more and we don't have the quality of players needed to do it well.
Playing out from the back on 10:41 - Mar 1 with 933 viewsBar_Brother

We went unbeaten for 24 games playing this way!
Playing out from the back on 16:50 - Mar 1 with 826 viewskingslandstand1

Playing out from the back on 10:41 - Mar 1 by Bar_Brother

We went unbeaten for 24 games playing this way!

Accepted, but also due in several of those games due to poor opposition finishing

So are you always confident playing that way? Generally ok, but very often fk up waiting to happen
Playing out from the back on 20:14 - Mar 1 with 722 viewsBerber

That isn’t what’s being argued. Even when the system works,we aren’t good enough at finishing. What happened, which happens in nearly every game, when out pussy footing around breaks down, we are horribly exposed.
Playing out from the back on 23:45 - Mar 1 with 653 viewsBar_Brother

The way we played out in the first half was mesmerising and whilst slightly nerve wracking it had us on the edge of our seats- it is our style now it’s unique to us and at least we now have an identity- we could of course get the ball forward quicker but that is more likely to release possession back to the opponent and thus put us under more pressure.
This is football in its purest form - it’s brave and will tire the opposition and most importantly it will mostly achieve a higher degree of success
With a decent striker up top we would have won at Liverpool and arguably been pushing Leicester for top spot.
Playing out from the back on 09:58 - Mar 2 with 547 viewsTimSaint

.....it's applicable to the whole season, not just the Liverpool game and boy, there's been some shockers !!

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024