Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names 12:06 - Feb 2 with 8468 viewsVetchitBack

Forget transfers windows and relegation. Many friends and colleagues are calling Bournemouth Bourne-mouth, Portsmouth Ports-mouth, Plymouth Ply-mouth etc.

Why? It is both incorrect and longer? The possibility of Americanism? Or just idiots with no sense of history?

Anyway it needs to stop. Now. You sound like tw@ts.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 12:07]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:15 - Feb 2 with 6735 viewssomersetsimon

I think all commentators and newsreaders should pronounce every team's name in that team's local accent. It would sound great on the official reading of the results on BBC Sports Report!
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:16 - Feb 2 with 6733 viewsPegojack

Here, here. Everyone knows it's 'muff'.

(Steady, Loyal)
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:21 - Feb 2 with 6699 viewsfather_jack

swans - sea. does my tits in

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:26 - Feb 2 with 6682 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:21 - Feb 2 by father_jack

swans - sea. does my tits in

Used to be common place but that has changed with our ascendency in the leagues. 'Plaid Kymroo' used to get up my toot as well. It always amazes me how often place name are mispronounced on Swansea Sound!

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:27 - Feb 2 with 6681 viewsHighjack

They would have been the original pronunciations though, mouth of the river plym etc. Language always changes over time.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 12:29 - Feb 2 with 6676 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:27 - Feb 2 by Highjack

They would have been the original pronunciations though, mouth of the river plym etc. Language always changes over time.

Sweynes Eye City does not do it for me ;-)

Edit or should I say 'Ville de Sweyne'? I am sure I have seen that somewhere.
At least we can dig back over history. Cardiff have nothing prior to becoming Merthyr's coal depot ;-)
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 12:34]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 12:43 - Feb 2 with 6638 viewsHighjack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 12:29 - Feb 2 by Private_Partz

Sweynes Eye City does not do it for me ;-)

Edit or should I say 'Ville de Sweyne'? I am sure I have seen that somewhere.
At least we can dig back over history. Cardiff have nothing prior to becoming Merthyr's coal depot ;-)
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 12:34]

It really winds me up when people mispronounce my home town of Nidum, they pronounce it neath for some reason. Bloody Americans. It's disgusting. I'm going to write to the prime minister in londinium to express my outrage.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:44 - Feb 2 with 6631 viewsfather_jack

neef mun.

Login to get fewer ads

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:46 - Feb 2 with 6627 viewsBanosswan

I had a good ding dong with a mate with regards to Leominster.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:51 - Feb 2 with 6618 viewsPegojack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:46 - Feb 2 by Banosswan

I had a good ding dong with a mate with regards to Leominster.

Yeah, well, as a local expert, I can assure you it's pronounced around here as 'Lemster', and it comes out more like 'Lemstr'.

If you say 'Leo Minster', you mark yourself out as a right plonker.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:15 - Feb 2 with 6586 viewsdickythorpe

Southwell racecourse in Notts, to locals it is SOUTH WELL, the plonker Alex Hammond always says "Suthel"
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:27 - Feb 2 with 6557 viewsVetchitBack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:27 - Feb 2 by Highjack

I doubt the guilty are all fiercely proud local historians to be honest

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:29 - Feb 2 with 6553 viewslancasterswan

I have two that always baffle me.

Shrewsbury .... my mother's side of the family were from Brecon and Ludlow. They all pronounced it Shrewsberry as in the little furry rodent. The football results always read it as Shrowsberry. Then about 10 years ago it became Shrewsberry on the radio and telly too and Shrowsberry started to die out. And the truth is ??

And closer to home, I spent a lot of the first ten years of my life near Newport. At the top of the county on the border is the town of Monmouth. Everybody I knew called it Munmuth, but the whole of the rest of the world (well, outside The Forest at least) called it Monmuth or if they were posh, Mornmuth. The river is the Monnow, not Munnow in English and Mynwy (pron Munwee) in Welsh

Another one I don't know the right answer to.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:38 - Feb 2 with 6531 viewsdickythorpe

Colchester - is it col chester or coal chester.

And the silent W in Wrexham?
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:57 - Feb 2 with 6501 viewslancasterswan

This series of ads still cracks me up

go to 5:30 for the point of me posting this....
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:13 - Feb 2 with 6484 viewsHighjack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:38 - Feb 2 by dickythorpe

Colchester - is it col chester or coal chester.

And the silent W in Wrexham?

Camulodunum mun

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:19 - Feb 2 with 6468 viewsfather_jack

one of the boys used to call salisbury sails bury.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:36 - Feb 2 with 6447 viewsmalagajack

Folkingham in Lincolnshire
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:44 - Feb 2 with 6440 viewskarnataka

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:29 - Feb 2 by lancasterswan

I have two that always baffle me.

Shrewsbury .... my mother's side of the family were from Brecon and Ludlow. They all pronounced it Shrewsberry as in the little furry rodent. The football results always read it as Shrowsberry. Then about 10 years ago it became Shrewsberry on the radio and telly too and Shrowsberry started to die out. And the truth is ??

And closer to home, I spent a lot of the first ten years of my life near Newport. At the top of the county on the border is the town of Monmouth. Everybody I knew called it Munmuth, but the whole of the rest of the world (well, outside The Forest at least) called it Monmuth or if they were posh, Mornmuth. The river is the Monnow, not Munnow in English and Mynwy (pron Munwee) in Welsh

Another one I don't know the right answer to.

All old maps show the spelling as Shrowesbury, I have several having lived in Shropshire for 14 years. Spelling on things like maps was usually phonetic as they were done by hand and that was how it had been pronounced for centuries. I don't know when the spelling was finally agreed as Shrewsbury but as soon as it was and started to appear in print, no doubt people started pronouncing it Shroosbury especially those who didn't live there. I certainly heard it called both while I lived near there but it definitely tended to be the older and/or posher types who used the old pronunciation.

Hope this helps :-)
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:00 - Feb 2 with 6423 viewsBanosswan

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 12:51 - Feb 2 by Pegojack

Yeah, well, as a local expert, I can assure you it's pronounced around here as 'Lemster', and it comes out more like 'Lemstr'.

If you say 'Leo Minster', you mark yourself out as a right plonker.

He was determined it was Leo Minster, but he's northern oirish so we can cut him some slack.

On a local note, people who say Tawee instead of Tawe.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:14 - Feb 2 with 6409 viewsFlashberryjack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:00 - Feb 2 by Banosswan

He was determined it was Leo Minster, but he's northern oirish so we can cut him some slack.

On a local note, people who say Tawee instead of Tawe.

I was informed by a friend from that part of the world, that Lemster was the original name of the Town, they renamed it "Leominster" in honor of King Leo after paid them a visit.

Locals always refer to it as "Lemster" .......it's probably all a load of old bollux, but I thought I'd share.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:34 - Feb 2 with 6386 viewsfather_jack

marylebone. thats another.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 15:44 - Feb 2 with 6373 viewsPegojack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:14 - Feb 2 by Flashberryjack

I was informed by a friend from that part of the world, that Lemster was the original name of the Town, they renamed it "Leominster" in honor of King Leo after paid them a visit.

Locals always refer to it as "Lemster" .......it's probably all a load of old bollux, but I thought I'd share.

Who the feck's King Leo?

King Leo the Lion?

EDIT:

I wikied it, here's what it says:

The town takes its name from a minster, that is a community of clergy in the district of Lene or Leon, probably in turn from an Old Welsh root lei to flow.[2] Contrary to certain reports, the name has nothing to do with Leofric, an 11th-century Earl of Mercia (most famous for being the miserly husband of Lady Godiva). The Welsh name for Leominster, still used today by a few on the Welsh side of the nearby border, is Llanllieni.

I'm only posting all this guff because I'm nervous as hell about tonight and trying to distract myself. Setting off in ten minutes.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 15:48]
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 16:01 - Feb 2 with 6345 viewsjacktar

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 15:44 - Feb 2 by Pegojack

Who the feck's King Leo?

King Leo the Lion?

EDIT:

I wikied it, here's what it says:

The town takes its name from a minster, that is a community of clergy in the district of Lene or Leon, probably in turn from an Old Welsh root lei to flow.[2] Contrary to certain reports, the name has nothing to do with Leofric, an 11th-century Earl of Mercia (most famous for being the miserly husband of Lady Godiva). The Welsh name for Leominster, still used today by a few on the Welsh side of the nearby border, is Llanllieni.

I'm only posting all this guff because I'm nervous as hell about tonight and trying to distract myself. Setting off in ten minutes.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 15:48]

Leon ... Leon ... Leon.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:26 - Feb 2 with 6310 viewsGlyn1

Shr - O - sbree or Shr - OOZE - bree?

Genuine question.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024