Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Takeover Confirmed 10:26 - Jun 5 with 44121 viewsBLAZE

Deserves its own thread

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/swans-swansea-city-takeover-americans-pr

Thoughts?
Takeover Confirmed on 20:31 - Jun 5 with 1806 viewsexiledclaseboy

Takeover Confirmed on 20:30 - Jun 5 by monmouth

Aye, that's what I meant by the first bit. They were obviously 100% confident they could treat him with contempt with total impunity.

Whoever it is should be wholly focused on representing their constituency whilst being part of a unitary board. It's a slightly abnormal role but, take away the inevitable solitude, being committed to being independent in mind and nature, is essential. The pally stuff has to go. Business relationship and challenging colleague only. Plenty of non-exec training around after the crash and whilst not the same the role is analogous.

Spot on. Expenses are sh*t hot for non execs too. It's a cracking racket to get into.

Poll: Tory leader

Takeover Confirmed on 20:32 - Jun 5 with 1806 viewsDr_Winston

Aye, that's what I meant by the first bit. They were obviously 100% confident they could treat him with contempt with total impunity.

Whoever it is should be wholly focused on representing their constituency whilst being part of a unitary board. It's a slightly abnormal role but, take away the inevitable solitude, being committed to being independent in mind and nature, is essential. The pally stuff has to go. Business relationship and challenging colleague only. Plenty of non-exec training around after the crash and whilst not the same the role is analogous.

Much the same was said last summer. The reaction from many was quite different.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Takeover Confirmed on 20:32 - Jun 5 with 1805 viewsUxbridge

Tend to agree, but the current approach has had its merits ... you can tie most of the fan initiatives to the promptings of the SD.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Takeover Confirmed on 20:34 - Jun 5 with 1802 viewsAngelRangelQS

Takeover Confirmed on 20:18 - Jun 5 by exiledclaseboy

It does illustrate the dangers supporter director getting to close to the club's hierarchy though. Too often the SD has been indistinguishable from the other directors and were did that get us?

I've thought that too but the reality is, what is he expected to do? It's very hard for working relationships to not become morphed into personal relationships after such a long period of time
Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 with 1788 viewstrampie

Takeover Confirmed on 18:14 - Jun 5 by Darran

Louise Mensch follows me and she's tweeted me back a couple of times.

I like Louise she's gorge.

I'm not surprised you follow her with the nonsense you come out with, if I remember right I seen her on Question Time in the past and there seems to be a NuLabour/Tory, English, American, Jewish thing going on with her.
Came across as very alien to a valley commando but there again I'm sure a valley commando would come across as alien to her.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 with 1787 viewsItchySphincter

Takeover Confirmed on 19:26 - Jun 5 by londonlisa2001

Yes but those discussions are with new owners not the ones that are gone (unless any of them retain a significant stake).

The ones that have gone have gone - sold out, no moral issues open.

And you have misunderstood completely what I was saying before about the deal. I didn't say they couldn't do it - people can do whatever they want if they are unchallenged providing it is legal. I said that the Trust had certain things they could do in response (such as insist on first refusal rights or sell shares). These were legal obligations and/or rights.

The Trust have already stated that they chose not to do so. In other words, they did not exercise all of the legal rights they had. You are reading that as though I and others haven't a clue what we're talking about. You are mistaken.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 19:27]

Of course I've misunderstood Lis. Carry on.

Something's not right eh.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 with 1785 viewsexiledclaseboy

Takeover Confirmed on 20:34 - Jun 5 by AngelRangelQS

I've thought that too but the reality is, what is he expected to do? It's very hard for working relationships to not become morphed into personal relationships after such a long period of time

Which may well be an argument for rotating the SD role regularly to avoid that becoming an issue.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 20:38]

Poll: Tory leader

Takeover Confirmed on 20:39 - Jun 5 with 1754 viewsdobjack2

Takeover Confirmed on 20:17 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

I see what you did there

It's a tricky one. If you work with people on an almost daily basis for a decade then relationships get formed. Some lessons to be learned for sure, ironically we're in the middle of a review of Trust roles etc, but I wouldn't hang HC out to dry on that basis ... if anything, it's a broader Trust issue.

The trust board are not stupid and would have known that after the failure of the first attempt at selling the shares there would be others until a sale was agreed.

Presumably they did not predict the lengths that desperate people can go to. I say desperate as clearly bums started twitching at the thought of relegation as they had (have?) no idea who was in the consortium they were selling shares to

Although Huw gets criticism for appearing too pally with the other directors, the way the trust was deliberately excluded meant that he had nothing to go on.

I'm sure people will want to know whether the voting rights to the retained shares have been sold or whether there are any options to purchase the retained shares in the future however I wouldn't have thought that the club would want that information out in the open.

The relationship between the trust and the other shareholders can never be the same. All have to move on. How the new owners run the club and their plans for the club beyond sound bites to win hearts and minds have to be challenged whenever appropriate.We will see their true colours at that point.

My concern is that they will look to tie the trust up through confidentiality and prepared joint statements to avoid negative pr.
Login to get fewer ads

Takeover Confirmed on 20:41 - Jun 5 with 1744 viewsdougie

Takeover Confirmed on 14:34 - Jun 5 by londonlisa2001

"It's not that the media are better informed. Far from it,.. otherwise you'd be seen a picture of Jason holding a scarf above his head last Wednedsay".

That was yesterday Ux.

And my suggestion was never that the Trust blocked the sale - it was an acknowledgement that the moment of most power that the Trust had was in their ability to do so, or to at least make things far more awkward. To get the concessions and protections needed.

You say - now it starts. Now the Trust will negotiate. But why should the new owners negotiate now? They can just say no. The Trust can't do anything about it anymore. The deal is done.

It's like getting a new job - the time to negotiate the deal is before you start. Once you've started you've lost your bargaining power.

Could rely on them of course to act out of the goodness of their own hearts - after all, they obviously care deeply about the Trust which is why they've involved the Trust throughout.

This. The yanks dont need to enter into a shareholders agreement. They own in excess of 50 percent. Trust is worthless now sorry and represent a 1000 people.
Takeover Confirmed on 20:42 - Jun 5 with 1730 viewsmonmouth

Takeover Confirmed on 20:32 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Tend to agree, but the current approach has had its merits ... you can tie most of the fan initiatives to the promptings of the SD.

It's a toughie Ux for sure, you always have to play what's in front of you and when push comes to shove it is only by convincing the rest that your views are mutually beneficial and desirable that you can get anywhere. The 'sword of damocles' of adverse publicity (or indeed positive publicity) are presumably the major weapons. Plus getting people to want to keep you happy (people DO do things because they like you! Although I'm not sure that applies to americans).

Takes consummate skill no doubt, and sometimes you have to build up the goodwill by playing the game and rarely use that sword of damocles. Not least because it may have no impact and then they'll hate you and ignore you for ever.

Easy to throw stones, bloody hard to do better. I think Huw's views of anything he feels he would do differently if he can see past the emotion (I'm not sure I could) would be very valuable.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Takeover Confirmed on 20:44 - Jun 5 with 1715 viewsUxbridge

Takeover Confirmed on 20:39 - Jun 5 by dobjack2

The trust board are not stupid and would have known that after the failure of the first attempt at selling the shares there would be others until a sale was agreed.

Presumably they did not predict the lengths that desperate people can go to. I say desperate as clearly bums started twitching at the thought of relegation as they had (have?) no idea who was in the consortium they were selling shares to

Although Huw gets criticism for appearing too pally with the other directors, the way the trust was deliberately excluded meant that he had nothing to go on.

I'm sure people will want to know whether the voting rights to the retained shares have been sold or whether there are any options to purchase the retained shares in the future however I wouldn't have thought that the club would want that information out in the open.

The relationship between the trust and the other shareholders can never be the same. All have to move on. How the new owners run the club and their plans for the club beyond sound bites to win hearts and minds have to be challenged whenever appropriate.We will see their true colours at that point.

My concern is that they will look to tie the trust up through confidentiality and prepared joint statements to avoid negative pr.

Well, speaking as someone on the Trust board, I can't see that happening unless the Trust truly feel that a deal is in everyone's best interests. I personally wouldn't stay involved if that wasn't the case.

Takeover Confirmed on 20:46 - Jun 5 with 1700 viewswaynekerr55

Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 by trampie

I'm not surprised you follow her with the nonsense you come out with, if I remember right I seen her on Question Time in the past and there seems to be a NuLabour/Tory, English, American, Jewish thing going on with her.
Came across as very alien to a valley commando but there again I'm sure a valley commando would come across as alien to her.

Are you on Twitter Trampie?

You'd be well worth a follow.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Takeover Confirmed on 20:49 - Jun 5 with 1672 viewstrampie

The shareholders that are selling legacy is now on the line.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Takeover Confirmed on 20:56 - Jun 5 with 1644 viewsAngelRangelQS

Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 by exiledclaseboy

Which may well be an argument for rotating the SD role regularly to avoid that becoming an issue.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 20:38]

Absolutely - biggest problem though is nobody wants to do it.

I guess the issue is that 1. Nobody ever thought all those years ago the club would be worth £100m or whatever it is. Otherwise maybe tactics may have been different and 2. Most people
Naively thought that the shareholders would have the club's best interests at heart. The board were one of us, so why not share lifts to away games and treat them as one of the boys?

The trust are held accountable by the fans and whilst this is understandable, I do have a lot of sympathy. They're basically a bunch of amateurs (in the literal sense - I don't mean that in a disparaging way - I couldn't do any better and neither could most on here) in one of the biggest sporting leagues in the world alongside a load of sharks.

Arguably, the fuss that was kicked up (which we all agreed with) over the first attempted takeover, is the reason why they've been left in the dark here
Takeover Confirmed on 20:57 - Jun 5 with 1629 viewsItchySphincter

Takeover Confirmed on 20:44 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Well, speaking as someone on the Trust board, I can't see that happening unless the Trust truly feel that a deal is in everyone's best interests. I personally wouldn't stay involved if that wasn't the case.

"Yes I am part of the Trust Board and the truthful answer is I don't know - and in reality nor does anyone else. What I do know is the Trust still has its shareholding in the Club. When the Trust gets around the table with the new shareholder set up and look to get written commitments from them about the way the Club is going to be governed it will have a better feel. Many Swans fans of my generation ( I am getting on a bit !) will be sad to see the change from a Club with predominantly local fans at the helm. I would rather we have the Trust on board to take us forward into a new era than not however"

This was written on the trusts FB page by one of your colleagues (maybe you?). I have no problem with the sentiment but sentiment it is. It really looks like the trust is helpless and after Huw Cooze's acting like a dumped girlfriend at the EGM it seems some are licking their wounds and feeling hurt rather than taking the bull by the horns and at least attempting to force out the information. It's all a bit limp from the trust and I'd be surprised to see them survive now.

Takeover Confirmed on 21:07 - Jun 5 with 1596 viewsUxbridge

Takeover Confirmed on 20:57 - Jun 5 by ItchySphincter

"Yes I am part of the Trust Board and the truthful answer is I don't know - and in reality nor does anyone else. What I do know is the Trust still has its shareholding in the Club. When the Trust gets around the table with the new shareholder set up and look to get written commitments from them about the way the Club is going to be governed it will have a better feel. Many Swans fans of my generation ( I am getting on a bit !) will be sad to see the change from a Club with predominantly local fans at the helm. I would rather we have the Trust on board to take us forward into a new era than not however"

This was written on the trusts FB page by one of your colleagues (maybe you?). I have no problem with the sentiment but sentiment it is. It really looks like the trust is helpless and after Huw Cooze's acting like a dumped girlfriend at the EGM it seems some are licking their wounds and feeling hurt rather than taking the bull by the horns and at least attempting to force out the information. It's all a bit limp from the trust and I'd be surprised to see them survive now.

Well, the Trust owns 21% so not sure how exactly it's going to suddenly cease to exist.

I didn't write that on the FB group, but it's correct. I would be much happier if the Trust was properly engaged in the new world order, and the words so far ... and they are just words ... is that this is also what the buyers want. You could argue that actions speak louder than words, and I would completely agree.

Basically, what the Trust does will depend on events of the coming weeks. If the things the Trust wants are agreed with the other parties then everything's huinky dory. If not, then the Trust has a number of decisions to make.

Takeover Confirmed on 21:25 - Jun 5 with 1541 viewsLandore_Jack

The trust could enquire about having more than one representation. They will be the second biggest shareholder. Two voices is better than one.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 21:34]

#backtojack

Takeover Confirmed on 21:42 - Jun 5 with 1468 viewsdobjack2

Takeover Confirmed on 20:44 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

That's all I need and was hoping to hear.

My fear is that they might try the confidentiality tactics on you on the basis it's best for the club that you don't rock the boat. Once sucked in hard to get out of.
Takeover Confirmed on 21:57 - Jun 5 with 1421 viewslondonlisa2001

Takeover Confirmed on 20:36 - Jun 5 by ItchySphincter

Of course I've misunderstood Lis. Carry on.

Something's not right eh.

I can't tell whether you are being obtuse or whether you don't understand what was being said in the earlier discussion? Anyway - if you think this is all good news then good for you. Not many seem to share your sentiment.
Takeover Confirmed on 21:59 - Jun 5 with 1402 viewslondonlisa2001

Takeover Confirmed on 20:41 - Jun 5 by dougie

This. The yanks dont need to enter into a shareholders agreement. They own in excess of 50 percent. Trust is worthless now sorry and represent a 1000 people.

I don't quite agree with that.

Firstly, the new shareholders are bound to the existing shareholders' agreement (that was confirmed yesterday by jacko), although you're right that they do not need to extend any protection not already included in that one and sign a new one.

Also, the Trust still remains owner of 21% of the club, so not worthless.
Takeover Confirmed on 22:01 - Jun 5 with 1398 viewstrampie

Are these Americans right for a Welsh football team ?, do they understand European football ?, you know what some American capitalists can be like, its all about 'their' bottom-line, what is their background ?, what religion are they ? - oops better not go there.

Welcome to West Wales Mr Levien and Mr Kaplan but be aware its not all about the bottom-line in Welsh society, not sure what impression you have got from the sale process as money talks and turns heads but dealing with fans and their expectation of how they think their club should be run is a different kettle of fish.

Takeover Confirmed on 22:02 - Jun 5 with 1392 viewsDaithejack

Erick Thohir the Americans partner in DC United has announced he's selling Inter Milan to a Chinese consortium tomorrow, coincidence?

Poll: Shelvey's Goal, Best Swans goal ever?

Takeover Confirmed on 22:07 - Jun 5 with 1369 viewslondonlisa2001

Takeover Confirmed on 22:02 - Jun 5 by Daithejack

Erick Thohir the Americans partner in DC United has announced he's selling Inter Milan to a Chinese consortium tomorrow, coincidence?

They categorically stated before that he was nothing to do with the deal.

Doesn't mean it's true of course, but they did say he was not involved.

I find Kaplan's involvement in a company called Regal Entertainment Group interesting. Have a look at who owns that and his background.
Takeover Confirmed on 22:07 - Jun 5 with 1362 viewsDewi1jack

Ah well.
All we can do is play the long game and wait and see what the Septics are going to do.
The only one of the board who should keep his job is that sly, sneaky b'stard Jenkins. Purely and simply because he's got to be better than having someone like Ayre, Fox or Woodward (is it Woodward at Utd?) on board.
They've wrecked clubs far bigger than we are.
Find someone with an A level in Business to do Dineen's job. They couldn't run the department any worse.
In fact, someone with the intelligence of a marshmallow, should be able to do that job, as the PL do all the World Wide advertising of the club for free. If Norwich's commercial department brought on board over 20 new club partners when they were promoted, why have ours got 4 or 5 in 5 years (excluding shirt sponsors)
Van Dutchtw@ doing consultancy for the club? The good ole boys won't wear that incompetency for long.
Can't blame the buyers for lack of communication with the Trust or fans. No requirement moral or legal, so why should they?
All the blame for what goes on from here on in lies entirely with the sneaky, sly, devious, sell out b'stards for grabbing the quickest quid. They couldn't even honour their supposed friendship with the Trust, if Devious Jack B'stard to a rich devious, sly, sneaky b'stard is to be believed
Personally I hope the Septics are a front, take us on to win the FA Cup, sell up to someone else and make 100 times what they bought the shares for, just to p1ss the sneaky tw@s off.
Just get it done quickly so we can move on.

Still not "just another football club."
Still quite a few people who give a flying.
(In fact 1,280 putting their subs in to try and help the Trust achieve it's aims. That figure should be a helluva lot more!!!)
A lot of the fans who remember the previous takeover care as well.

Even if our previous (once the fit and proper persons test is passed) Board of Directors don't

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Takeover Confirmed on 22:15 - Jun 5 with 1310 viewsItchySphincter

Takeover Confirmed on 21:07 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Well, the Trust owns 21% so not sure how exactly it's going to suddenly cease to exist.

I didn't write that on the FB group, but it's correct. I would be much happier if the Trust was properly engaged in the new world order, and the words so far ... and they are just words ... is that this is also what the buyers want. You could argue that actions speak louder than words, and I would completely agree.

Basically, what the Trust does will depend on events of the coming weeks. If the things the Trust wants are agreed with the other parties then everything's huinky dory. If not, then the Trust has a number of decisions to make.

It's just so sad. The trust appears toothless. Phil's hardly been on here this last few days either.

I don't think the trust will cease to exist but their stake and they're influence is now considerably devalued. They're shares are pretty worthless unless the new owners decide to make them an offer as who else is going to step in and buy a minority stake that could possibly be diluted by just a little skulduggery and keeping them seems to achieve little?

As the reality of this news sets in I am genuinely reeling.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024