Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia 12:00 - Jan 24 with 11830 viewsLandore_Jack

Swansea make enquiry for Inter Milan defender Andrea Ranocchia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4151536/Swansea-enquiry-Inter-

#backtojack

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 17:24 - Jan 24 with 3442 viewsTummer_from_Texas

His stock is indeed very low at this point. Here's something from ESPN from back in July.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/internazionale/110/blog/post/2910101/inter-milan-mu

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 17:29 - Jan 24 with 3396 viewsBorojack

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 13:05 - Jan 24 by Cooperman

I'm very much in the camp of 'try before you buy' with this one.

The problem with the loan is if he turns out to be really good we then get gazumped in the summer.
But on the plus side if he isn't so good can send him back.
I have a feeling it will be a loan as this player won't fancy a relegation clause.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 17:36 - Jan 24 with 3356 viewsFerrieBodde

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 13:29 - Jan 24 by WarwickHunt

Argentinians don't get Italy caps.

Um, there's been over 20 Argentines who decided to play for Italy:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/argital-recintlp.html

Been quite a few in recent years too: Schelotto, Vazquez, Ledesma, Osvaldo, etc.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:00 - Jan 24 with 3217 viewsSwan91

From the sounds of things he seems to have lost confidence, moving to a new team could give him that fresh start and confidence boost.

read in an article - "Serie A transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio believes Jürgen Klopp has identified the player as a good fit for his system at Liverpool, ". If he fits liverpools system I think he will fit the system we will try to play (hopefully similar to how we used to play).

and also this: Standing 6ft 5in tall and possessing the ability to keep pace with almost every striker he has faced, Ranocchia has all the physical tools needed to become a fine defender. He is equally comfortable in possession, as evidenced by an average pass-completion rate of 86% per game last season, while he is also capable of coping with the physical demands that come with playing as a centre-half: Ranocchia won an average of 2.3 aerial duels and 2.2 tackles per appearance over his 33 appearances last term.

those stats (i know stats don't mean everything) are pretty good stats.. tall fast, comfortable in possession. Good with headering which could solve our defending set piece issues.. and can also score from set pieces.

Again this is a signing that can be a risk... but I am excited about it.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:04 - Jan 24 with 3181 viewsBorojack

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:00 - Jan 24 by Swan91

From the sounds of things he seems to have lost confidence, moving to a new team could give him that fresh start and confidence boost.

read in an article - "Serie A transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio believes Jürgen Klopp has identified the player as a good fit for his system at Liverpool, ". If he fits liverpools system I think he will fit the system we will try to play (hopefully similar to how we used to play).

and also this: Standing 6ft 5in tall and possessing the ability to keep pace with almost every striker he has faced, Ranocchia has all the physical tools needed to become a fine defender. He is equally comfortable in possession, as evidenced by an average pass-completion rate of 86% per game last season, while he is also capable of coping with the physical demands that come with playing as a centre-half: Ranocchia won an average of 2.3 aerial duels and 2.2 tackles per appearance over his 33 appearances last term.

those stats (i know stats don't mean everything) are pretty good stats.. tall fast, comfortable in possession. Good with headering which could solve our defending set piece issues.. and can also score from set pieces.

Again this is a signing that can be a risk... but I am excited about it.

Yes I agree a good signing if it happens.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:06 - Jan 24 with 3152 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 12:43 - Jan 24 by Kerouac

Shit defenders don't get Italy caps.

It's absolutely hilarious (and mindboggling) how people here think that just because someone has national team appearances that they're all of a sudden a good player. Amazing that people like this gentleman here thinks he can pass judgment on Ranocchia and claim that he isn't shit just because of his Italy caps. Imagine if I said that Tom Cleverley isn't shit because he has 13 England caps or that Ryan Babel isn't shit because he had 43 (yes 43) Netherlands caps.

And no, shit defenders do get Italy caps. Just take a look at this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2082893-picking-the-worst-italy-world-cup-xi-

Guess who's on the list?

This signing interests me not only because I follow Serie A very closely and am familiar with the player in question, but I saw Ranocchia play in person back in February 2012 when Inter hosted Palermo. It was in Milan, and it was the third or fourth time I'd been to the San Siro. It was cold as Antarctica and snowing like mad, and only around 10,000 people bothered showing up. Even before kickoff I wanted desperately to get the hell out and go back to my hotel, but I figured because I paid good money for the tickets I'd brave the weather and tough it out. Turned out to be a great idea, as the game was an absolute thriller, with both sides scoring 4 times each--Milito had 4 for Inter while Miccoli bagged a hattrick for Palermo.

Now where does Ranocchia fit into this story? Well, he put on one of the worst defensive displays I had ever seen in all my years of watching football, and this isn't even hyperbole, but I literally left the ground thinking he was just about the worst centre half in world football. It was as if Inter had plucked a random guy from the stands and put him in their back 4. If you don't believe me, go and watch the match yourself.

It's actually quite sad to see what has happened to Ranocchia. He hasn't been right since his Bari/Genoa days, and he's been genuinely poor since Inter bought him in 2011. I know there's a good defender in there somewhere, but he's devolved into a Serie A laughing stock and is just about the consensus worst defender in the league right now. But you know what? Despite ALL this (and I know this may sound very crazy), I'm not all that averse to him joining us, as there's literally no way he can be worse than what we have right now, namely van der Hoorn and Amat. Plus, a change in league and environment can possibly do wonders for him. He's been in Italy since the start of his career and has never left.

Still, for £5m, we can be getting a lot better. And if we are indeed in for him then we should go for a loan, not a permanent transfer. If he performs as expected (poorly) and we go down, we'll not only have yet another failed buy and expensive dud on our wage bill, but one who will be approaching 30 and one who we'll struggle to find buyers for.

It's funny seeing the comments from Italians on twitter and the rest of social media right now saying that he will make our defense even worse. I'm sure there's a chance, but they clearly have no idea how bad our centre halves are.

One last note: if this transfer goes through, it'll just be more evidence that Clement has zero to little say in transfers. He happily played yes man to the Narsingh, Carroll, and Olsson transfers, players who were linked with us long before he was ever appointed manager, and he's about to let Jenkins sign yet another player who we've been after before he came along. If Jenkins stays on after this season, I fear that this will merely continue.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 18:33]

Come on you Swans.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:28 - Jan 24 with 3031 viewsjasper_T

The Dutch have capped far worse players than Ryan Babel.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:30 - Jan 24 with 3018 viewsMurph75

Spurs in for him apparently

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-eye-5m-inter-milan-defender-a
Login to get fewer ads

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:40 - Jan 24 with 2949 viewsFerrieBodde

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:28 - Jan 24 by jasper_T

The Dutch have capped far worse players than Ryan Babel.

Like who? And how many of these have 43 or more caps as Babel does?
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:44 - Jan 24 with 2912 viewsmax936

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:30 - Jan 24 by Murph75

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-eye-5m-inter-milan-defender-a

Yep, Just said on SSN's

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:46 - Jan 24 with 2895 viewsWarwickHunt

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 17:36 - Jan 24 by FerrieBodde

Um, there's been over 20 Argentines who decided to play for Italy:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/argital-recintlp.html

Been quite a few in recent years too: Schelotto, Vazquez, Ledesma, Osvaldo, etc.

Fascinating.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:54 - Jan 24 with 2847 viewsBorojack

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:30 - Jan 24 by Murph75

They can't be myfinalheaven said he is rubbish.
And he knows more than Pochettino and Levi.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:16 - Jan 24 with 2764 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:54 - Jan 24 by Borojack

Yes sir, because Tottenham have never been linked to rubbish players before or have signed rubbish before.

Just last summer Spurs thought it would be a good idea to not only buy Clinton N'Jie but fvcking pay £12m for him.

Come on you Swans.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:24 - Jan 24 with 2718 viewscostalotta

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 13:29 - Jan 24 by WarwickHunt

Argentinians don't get Italy caps.

Off topic I know but, No, that's not actually true.

The Italian national teams in the past have given caps to players who have previously played for Argentina.

Vittorio Pizzo famously said if they can die for Italy they can play for Italy.

Omar Sivori is one of quite a few...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_S%C3%ADvori

Raimondo Orsi a World Cup winner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimundo_Orsi

Luis Monti, another World Cup winner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Monti

There are others too.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 19:27]
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:26 - Jan 24 with 2701 viewsMurph75

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 18:54 - Jan 24 by Borojack

Makes you wonder why some of them on here aren't managing on the world stage?
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:31 - Jan 24 with 3097 viewsBorojack

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:16 - Jan 24 by MyFinalHeaven

Yes sir, because Tottenham have never been linked to rubbish players before or have signed rubbish before.

Just last summer Spurs thought it would be a good idea to not only buy Clinton N'Jie but fvcking pay £12m for him.

I don't Claim to be an Italian football expert but he has been at Inter Milan since 2011 and played 129 games for them.
So that suggests to me he must have some ability.
As regards your point about you don't have to be a very good player to play for Italy.
All I would say is whenever I have watched them in Euros or World Cups there centre halves have always been pretty good.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:33 - Jan 24 with 3088 viewscostalotta

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:31 - Jan 24 by Borojack

I don't Claim to be an Italian football expert but he has been at Inter Milan since 2011 and played 129 games for them.
As regards your point about you don't have to be a very good player to play for Italy.
All I would say is whenever I have watched them in Euros or World Cups there centre halves have always been pretty good.

And even when defensively they've not had the best of their breed at that time they are still usually collectively better than most if not all of the others competing in said event.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:43 - Jan 24 with 3037 viewsMyFinalHeaven

You can't judge a player without having seen him play and just using his appearance record alone. Doing that is complete idiocy. Nagatomo joined Inter in 2011 and played 150 games, and he's been mostly crap. Similarly, Neil Taylor joined us in 2010 and has made 160 appearances. He's been absolute garbage.

In regards to the Italy caps, it's very telling that 13 of his 21 caps came in friendlies. And yes, the Italian defenders who play in the Euros and the World Cup are very good. But Ranocchia never made the squad for any Euro or World Cup, or even the Confederations Cup. There's a reason for that.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 19:44]

Come on you Swans.

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:46 - Jan 24 with 3015 viewsRancid

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:43 - Jan 24 by MyFinalHeaven

You can't judge a player without having seen him play and just using his appearance record alone. Doing that is complete idiocy. Nagatomo joined Inter in 2011 and played 150 games, and he's been mostly crap. Similarly, Neil Taylor joined us in 2010 and has made 160 appearances. He's been absolute garbage.

In regards to the Italy caps, it's very telling that 13 of his 21 caps came in friendlies. And yes, the Italian defenders who play in the Euros and the World Cup are very good. But Ranocchia never made the squad for any Euro or World Cup, or even the Confederations Cup. There's a reason for that.

Great name. Sign him up.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:50 - Jan 24 with 3002 viewsMurph75

Are you an avid watcher of Inter then?
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:50 - Jan 24 with 3002 viewsConcerned_Parent

bit ironic you're mentioning the euros and world cup when ranocchia was never picked to play in one.

italy only choose the best that they have for those tournaments. they do pick ranocchia though for the friendlies and the charity games
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:54 - Jan 24 with 2980 viewscostalotta

You do know who's been up against since he first came into the scene?

The stat you quote is irrelevant. there are many cases when some very good , top quality players were unlucky enough to have been playing around the same times as just a few others who've been better! I'm not saying that about this guy, but two things you will get from him is he will know how to Defend! And he'll be tactically sound. he will als be an upgrade on our entire collection of centre backs.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 20:14 - Jan 24 with 2896 viewsicecoldjack

Most Italian top level centre halves know how to foul,defend,pass and head a ball. Mind you , i'd normally say the same about no nonsense Argentinian centre halves too..then i saw flaky fernandez ride into town!!

Gotta put this one down to clement, hasn't been linked before so i'm more than happy to give this guy a chance here, the standard of defending in the premier league is pretty poor anyway, a decent Italian centre half with international experience should at least be able to hold his own here.

Fingers crossed he can do a job if signed.
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 20:16 - Jan 24 with 2878 viewsJango

So because he can't get in the squad ahead of players like Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzaghli etc he's not good enough for Swansea. The very fact he's been knocking on the door with the defenders they've got tells a story
Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 20:18 - Jan 24 with 2871 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Swans linked with Andrea Ranocchia on 19:54 - Jan 24 by costalotta

You do know who's been up against since he first came into the scene?

The stat you quote is irrelevant. there are many cases when some very good , top quality players were unlucky enough to have been playing around the same times as just a few others who've been better! I'm not saying that about this guy, but two things you will get from him is he will know how to Defend! And he'll be tactically sound. he will als be an upgrade on our entire collection of centre backs.

"You do know who's been up against since he first came into the scene?"

Yes I do.

Criscito, Paletta, Astori, Bocchetti, and current West Ham wasteman Angelo Ogbonna are just some of the centre halves who were picked to play at a major tournament at Ranocchia's expense. Definite world beaters that lot.

But as I said previously in my first post in this thread, 1) I am not against us getting Ranocchia and 2) I think that a change in league and environment can do wonders for him. I'll leave it at that.

Come on you Swans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024