Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele 14:23 - Jul 30 with 5692 viewsLohengrin

As you sit there reading this exactly one hundred years ago today the boys of the 38th Welsh Division, many of your relatives amongst them, were making their way forward to the jumping-off point for the attack on Pilckem Ridge that went in at dawn on the 31st.

A blue pennant stone cromlech surmounted by a red dragon now marks the spot and commemorates the fallen but every war memorial in Glamorgan you pass by today carries the reaper's roll-call.

Before you go to bed tonight spare a thought for the boys who never came back...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:30 - Jul 31 with 1862 viewsLohengrin

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:23 - Jul 31 by FieryJack

Lohengrin's avatar looks like a photo of a WW1 boy-soldier?

He's quite famous. There's a pint in it for anybody who can say who he is.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:50 - Jul 31 with 1852 viewsJack_Meoff

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:30 - Jul 31 by Lohengrin

He's quite famous. There's a pint in it for anybody who can say who he is.

David Jones?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:57 - Jul 31 with 1848 viewsFieryJack

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:50 - Jul 31 by Jack_Meoff

David Jones?

Good guess, Jack Meoff.

Think you might have won a pint there.
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 16:10 - Jul 31 with 1835 viewsLohengrin

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 15:50 - Jul 31 by Jack_Meoff

David Jones?

Good work.

Take your pick at the bar come the new season.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 16:50 - Jul 31 with 1809 viewsTreforys_Jack

You see a lot of pictures like lohengrins second. All smiling off on a jolly exciting caper to give the hun a right good thrashing. Young men in their prime ,but very naive. So very sad.
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 20:46 - Jul 31 with 1754 viewsPacemaker

The roll call over the speakers at Tyne Cott cemetery always makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

My great uncle fought in and around Arras but eventually ended up in Ypres or (Wipers) as he called it. He never liked it there whilst he said fighting in Arras and the Somme was better than working underground.

He had won the MM at Beaumont Hamel with Newfoundlanders, he would have won the MC according to his citation in dispatches but didn't because he wasn't an officer. Running around with a Lewis gun was his thing apparently so he must have been a strong bloke because he was only about 5'6".

His life was colouful to say the least and he was always the life and soul of a party right up to his death in the late 70's. Encouraged all of us boys to join the Army, much to the annoyance of my gran and mother.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 20:49 - Jul 31 with 1748 viewsGundog

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 19:38 - Jul 30 by scruffyjack

150 of us are taking part in a charity bike ride to raise funds for SSAFA, the main armed forces charity. The event is called "Cycle the Somme" and we will be stopping to pay our respects at the Welsh regiment memorial at Mametz Wood and other battlefield sites. General f******g Haig replaced the commanding officer Major General Ivor Phillips for not trying hard enough to take Mametz, and the 14th Swansea battalion lost 400 either killed or wounded out of a force of 676 in one day in the next attack.

If this happened in our times General f******* Hague would be hanged for mass murder.
He was responsible for sending thousands of soldiers to their deaths in the most cruellest of ways

Poll: should Leon still be the main man in midfield

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 01:38 - Aug 1 with 1713 viewsKilkennyjack

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 14:40 - Jul 31 by Lohengrin

Strangely enough, mate, the 38th's OC at Passchendaele was General Blackader. That's not a joke either, and he seems to have been a capable and decent officer not at all like the stereotype portrayed in'Oh! what a lovely war.'

Killy if you're reading this it's the same man who put down the Easter Rising and had kind words to say about Pearse after the Court Martial.

Thanks Loh. Right - same guy as we discussed on a previous thread. 🍀🇮🇪

My grandad lied about his age, volunteered, and went to fight with his mates.
Luckily he came home.
So many young lives lost. RIP.

Loh - why did the magnificent welsh dragon monument take so long to get put up...?

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 04:38 - Aug 1 with 1691 viewsSwans777

The men & boys in those days were tough.
The snowflake youth of today would never have coped.
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 07:46 - Aug 1 with 1667 viewslifelong

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 01:38 - Aug 1 by Kilkennyjack

Luckily he came home.

Loh - why did the magnificent welsh dragon monument take so long to get put up...?

A retired Swansea Police Officer has taken a lot of the credit for the erection of the monument, he has visited the area for many years and some time ago went into a local cafe/bar and noticed that there was quite a bit of Welsh memorabilia on show regarding how many Welsh soldiers lost their lives there.
He questioned why there wasn't a memorial for the Welsh soldiers and in 2010 he got together with the owner of the cafe/bar, they formed a fund raising group, raised in the region of £200k, the stones were transported from Pembrokeshire, the monument was designed,constructed and erected in 2015.
The retired Police Officer received a British Empire Medal in the Queen's birthday honours list last year.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 14:02]
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 16:46 - Aug 1 with 1567 viewstheloneranger

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 07:46 - Aug 1 by lifelong

A retired Swansea Police Officer has taken a lot of the credit for the erection of the monument, he has visited the area for many years and some time ago went into a local cafe/bar and noticed that there was quite a bit of Welsh memorabilia on show regarding how many Welsh soldiers lost their lives there.
He questioned why there wasn't a memorial for the Welsh soldiers and in 2010 he got together with the owner of the cafe/bar, they formed a fund raising group, raised in the region of £200k, the stones were transported from Pembrokeshire, the monument was designed,constructed and erected in 2015.
The retired Police Officer received a British Empire Medal in the Queen's birthday honours list last year.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 14:02]

I believe his name is Peter Carter Jones

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 17:12 - Aug 1 with 1560 viewsLohengrin

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 01:38 - Aug 1 by Kilkennyjack

Luckily he came home.

Further to Lifelong's reply it needed somebody motivated, capable and driven to come along and make it happen. The 38th Division obviously no longer exists, nor do the regiments it comprised. Memorials such as this fall outside of the remit of the CWGC, magnificent job though they do, so it falls upon 'us' to make things like this happen.

I've nothing but admiration for the team behind the Welsh Memorial Park in Flanders, they've done a tremendous job.

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 17:32 - Aug 1 with 1555 viewslifelong

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 16:46 - Aug 1 by theloneranger

I believe his name is Peter Carter Jones

It is indeed.
Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 18:34 - Aug 1 with 1541 viewsNeath_Jack

You know about this Loh?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/978470938890507/permalink/1632363723501222/

http://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2014/11/allan-leonard-lewis-vc-waless-forgotten-w

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 22:36 - Aug 1 with 1500 viewsJack_Meoff

Exactly 100 years ago today...Passchendaele on 16:10 - Jul 31 by Lohengrin

Good work.

Take your pick at the bar come the new season.

I must confess In Parenthesis is still as yet unread on my shelf, though definitely on the list. Slight aside though, I'm about 1/3 or so into The New Unhappy Lords, quite the eye opening interpretation of recent history through the lens of monetary influence. His 1965 comment on the Schuman plan being one of breaking national identity was also interesting reading in 2017, given how the EU has developed since, and our apparent impending exit. Food for thought anyway.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024