Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport 20:49 - Oct 11 with 7302 viewsjack2jack

Good or bad for Wales,over to the good folk of PS
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-airport-spend-millio
Hope it's not a ferdy
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:02 - Oct 12 with 1829 viewsMrSwerve

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 09:51 - Oct 12 by Joe_bradshaw

You can fly direct to Rome from Cardiff, Swervy.

Fair enough...think I may have looked at it and it was cheaper from Bristol. Part of a package anyway, which was only going from Bristol.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:11 - Oct 12 with 1825 viewsploppy

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 08:22 - Oct 12 by Private_Partz

Wow that post is right out of the Raynor handbook. ;-)
No objection to private money going in as long as we as taxpayers are not spending anymore on Rhoose. It was a complete waste of money anyway. Bristol is a cheaper and better airport. Also geographically Rhoose is no benefit to most of Wales just the SE so I find it all pretty pointless.

I don't get the love for Bristol airport. Agree about the transport links to Cardiff, but I wouldn't say Bristol's any better. There's no rail link there either. By road, you either go in on the Portway (try that at rush hour - was stuck for an hour there last year), or down to Gordano services and through Barrow Gurney (which is picturesque but fiddly as hell). And it's as much in Bristol as Cardiff Airport is in Cardiff - if you're going to call Cardiff Airport Rhoose, then you should call Bristol Airport Lulsgate. And it's very prone to fog - don't know if it's an urban myth but I was told that the RAF built their base there in there in order to practice in poor visibility. And don't get me started about departing from the furthest gate - it's a bloody long walk.
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:28 - Oct 12 with 1815 viewscontroversial_jack

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 09:51 - Oct 12 by Joe_bradshaw

You can fly direct to Rome from Cardiff, Swervy.

Can you go on the days you want to go and more importantly, can you bet back when you want to?
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 11:04 - Oct 12 with 1794 viewsJoe_bradshaw

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:28 - Oct 12 by controversial_jack

Can you go on the days you want to go and more importantly, can you bet back when you want to?

That obviously depends on which days you want to go and which days you want to get back.

You can, however, fly direct to Rome from Cardiff and back again.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 11:26 - Oct 12 with 1784 viewscontroversial_jack

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 11:04 - Oct 12 by Joe_bradshaw

That obviously depends on which days you want to go and which days you want to get back.

You can, however, fly direct to Rome from Cardiff and back again.

The point being the flights are very limited with the days you can fly on
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 11:58 - Oct 12 with 1761 viewsMrSwerve

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 11:26 - Oct 12 by controversial_jack

The point being the flights are very limited with the days you can fly on

Yeah, I'm not sure of how many flights there are to Rome in Cardiff compared to Bristol, but I'd imagine it's less.

If you're doing a long weekend as we are (4 days), it's useless if Cardiff fly out there once a week (for example).

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 12:16 - Oct 12 with 1747 viewsPrivate_Partz

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:11 - Oct 12 by ploppy

I don't get the love for Bristol airport. Agree about the transport links to Cardiff, but I wouldn't say Bristol's any better. There's no rail link there either. By road, you either go in on the Portway (try that at rush hour - was stuck for an hour there last year), or down to Gordano services and through Barrow Gurney (which is picturesque but fiddly as hell). And it's as much in Bristol as Cardiff Airport is in Cardiff - if you're going to call Cardiff Airport Rhoose, then you should call Bristol Airport Lulsgate. And it's very prone to fog - don't know if it's an urban myth but I was told that the RAF built their base there in there in order to practice in poor visibility. And don't get me started about departing from the furthest gate - it's a bloody long walk.

I am calling it by its original name. A time when the Swansea City Director of Engineering was responsible for the running it. Barry and Bridgend have just as bigger claim to the naming rights. It was called Cardiff International Airport but they seem have dropped the middle bit. What's in a name anyway? I am sticking with Rhoose.
As regards Bristol. It is better because it has more flights and they are invariably cheaper. The airports are too close. Rhoose will always be in it's shadows unless taxpayers money is pumped into it. WAG have to be careful of that one. They have already been threatened by Bristol for not keeping a level playing surface.
Rhoose should be a reginal airport along with 3 or 4 others across Wales to help compensate for the transport infastructure neglect by WAG. North and South Wales can rely on Liverpool and Bristol respectively for their long haul and package flights.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 12:28 - Oct 12 with 1732 viewsFlashberryjack

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 10:11 - Oct 12 by ploppy

Absolutely spot on....hate Bristol Airport but sadly has more flights and it's usually much cheaper to fly from there than Cardiff.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Login to get fewer ads

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 13:42 - Oct 12 with 1699 viewsploppy

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 12:16 - Oct 12 by Private_Partz

I am calling it by its original name. A time when the Swansea City Director of Engineering was responsible for the running it. Barry and Bridgend have just as bigger claim to the naming rights. It was called Cardiff International Airport but they seem have dropped the middle bit. What's in a name anyway? I am sticking with Rhoose.
As regards Bristol. It is better because it has more flights and they are invariably cheaper. The airports are too close. Rhoose will always be in it's shadows unless taxpayers money is pumped into it. WAG have to be careful of that one. They have already been threatened by Bristol for not keeping a level playing surface.
Rhoose should be a reginal airport along with 3 or 4 others across Wales to help compensate for the transport infastructure neglect by WAG. North and South Wales can rely on Liverpool and Bristol respectively for their long haul and package flights.

Call it Rhoose if you like but that's not its name. I suspect many younger people won't know what you're talking about. And yet you refer to Swansea City not Swansea Town.

Yes there are more flights from Bristol but that also means it's a busier airport with longer queues at security and immigration. I like the fact that Cardiff is quieter but obviously there needs to be enough flights to make it viable. You also have to factor in the cost/time of travel to Lulsgate.

It'll be interesting to see how the daily flights to Doha, erm, take off ...
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 15:57 - Oct 12 with 1661 viewskeith_gatebroth

Ploopy, agree, Bristol Airport is a horrible airport in the middle of nowhere and a nightmare to get to and fly from. Both Portway and Barrow Gurney hard to get through. Then you have to park at Silver Zone and get a bus in. Most of the flights go early morning so there’s a jam at the bag search. When I flew in May, I counted 17 flights within two hours and we had to shuffle through those snake like barriers for an hour to get through. We then had to walk to the furthest gate and it seemed like a mile away, just made the flight. Flown Cardiff since, so much easier, it’s well worth any extra, and there are sometimes bargains to be had.
I welcome any investment by WAG.
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 16:03 - Oct 12 with 1658 viewsPrivate_Partz

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 13:42 - Oct 12 by ploppy

Call it Rhoose if you like but that's not its name. I suspect many younger people won't know what you're talking about. And yet you refer to Swansea City not Swansea Town.

Yes there are more flights from Bristol but that also means it's a busier airport with longer queues at security and immigration. I like the fact that Cardiff is quieter but obviously there needs to be enough flights to make it viable. You also have to factor in the cost/time of travel to Lulsgate.

It'll be interesting to see how the daily flights to Doha, erm, take off ...

The change in name of our football club does not compare at all. It was done out of an award to our City. The 'Rhoose ' name was hijacked (see what I did there ;-)) by Cardiff. It was also called 'Cardiff Wales Airport' which even more arrogantly daft than the 'international' one. The younger element have had a history lesson in my previous post so they are catered for ;-)
There was a time when it outstripped Bristol and could possibly have been a success. They failed though and allowed an inferior airport to outshine them. I doubt Qatar will take off (there I go again). Can't see the need for much traffic there. Even the airway owner has his doubts.
I believe Wales could have its own international airport but it needs massive infastructure investment first and it sure as Hell should not be in Cardiff.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 16:33 - Oct 12 with 1637 viewsraynor94

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 15:57 - Oct 12 by keith_gatebroth

Ploopy, agree, Bristol Airport is a horrible airport in the middle of nowhere and a nightmare to get to and fly from. Both Portway and Barrow Gurney hard to get through. Then you have to park at Silver Zone and get a bus in. Most of the flights go early morning so there’s a jam at the bag search. When I flew in May, I counted 17 flights within two hours and we had to shuffle through those snake like barriers for an hour to get through. We then had to walk to the furthest gate and it seemed like a mile away, just made the flight. Flown Cardiff since, so much easier, it’s well worth any extra, and there are sometimes bargains to be had.
I welcome any investment by WAG.

100% agree correct on all counts, I fly from Cardiff regularly much prefer it to Bristol, which can be a nightmare to get to. Good on the WAG I hope they spend a lot more on it, but you'll never convince Partzy, I enjoy the Cardiff threads I can almost hear the steam coming out of his ears

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 19:34 - Oct 12 with 1594 viewsPrivate_Partz

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 16:33 - Oct 12 by raynor94

100% agree correct on all counts, I fly from Cardiff regularly much prefer it to Bristol, which can be a nightmare to get to. Good on the WAG I hope they spend a lot more on it, but you'll never convince Partzy, I enjoy the Cardiff threads I can almost hear the steam coming out of his ears

You missed out there mate ;-) Darren got there first. I am glad you enjoy my posts. I enjoy yours as well as it gives me an opportunity to expand my argument. That is of course when you actually say something rather than just attempting to take the gentle p!ss out of a poster whilst not expressing any views of your own ;-) This time I have something to work on though :-)
Firstly you are losing money flying from Cardiff unless you pick up on the rare bargains to Majorca every time you go on your hollibobs. I also disagree with WAG pumping taxpayers money into a failing airport.
Carwyn is very proud of it though. When asked what the Assembly had done for Wales in its 18 years his comment was 'lwell we would not have had an airport for starters' . Sums up how inadequate they are when that is first thing that springs to mind.
Unfortuanately the ship has sailed as far as Rhoose is concerned. Bristol is not going to give up all its goodies to a Welsh airport. The only way it is going to be anywhere near as successful is if Carwyn continues to pump money in. At a much higher level than he is now as well. In such circumstances Bristol would be in a very fair position to cry 'fowl' if they are not able to compete whilst taxpayers money is used to create the imbalance.
It might work if Wales was independent but fortunately that will never happen under the Red Tories so he would not have the oppportunity to waste oodles of money on an airport than cannot easily be reached by huge swathes of the Principality.

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:09 - Oct 12 with 1579 viewsploppy

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 19:34 - Oct 12 by Private_Partz

You missed out there mate ;-) Darren got there first. I am glad you enjoy my posts. I enjoy yours as well as it gives me an opportunity to expand my argument. That is of course when you actually say something rather than just attempting to take the gentle p!ss out of a poster whilst not expressing any views of your own ;-) This time I have something to work on though :-)
Firstly you are losing money flying from Cardiff unless you pick up on the rare bargains to Majorca every time you go on your hollibobs. I also disagree with WAG pumping taxpayers money into a failing airport.
Carwyn is very proud of it though. When asked what the Assembly had done for Wales in its 18 years his comment was 'lwell we would not have had an airport for starters' . Sums up how inadequate they are when that is first thing that springs to mind.
Unfortuanately the ship has sailed as far as Rhoose is concerned. Bristol is not going to give up all its goodies to a Welsh airport. The only way it is going to be anywhere near as successful is if Carwyn continues to pump money in. At a much higher level than he is now as well. In such circumstances Bristol would be in a very fair position to cry 'fowl' if they are not able to compete whilst taxpayers money is used to create the imbalance.
It might work if Wales was independent but fortunately that will never happen under the Red Tories so he would not have the oppportunity to waste oodles of money on an airport than cannot easily be reached by huge swathes of the Principality.

It's interesting you say that Bristol is cheaper. Out of curiosity, I checked the prices on KLM to Amsterdam on 23rd October (purely at random, honestly).

BRS return fare from £336
CWL return fare from £199

You could argue that EasyJet fly that route from BRS. True, and it's probably cheaper than both those (but then, who wants to fly EasyJet). Clearly for some of us it's not just about the price. Personally, I'm willing to pay extra to avoid the horror that is Bristol Airport.

Cry "fowl"? Seriously? I so wanted to come up with a bird/poultry reference but failed miserably.
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:28 - Oct 12 with 1569 viewsraynor94

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 19:34 - Oct 12 by Private_Partz

No piss taking at all, it's not about saving money, I prefer the convenience of Cardiff over the cheaper option of Bristol every time. It suits me for the Greek islands , and I genuinely hope more money is pumped into it and it goes from strength to strength. And make your mind up is it Cardiff or Rhoose

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:38 - Oct 12 with 1560 viewsjack2jack

I find the whole experience of flying from Cardiff great,it's not that difficult to get to really,it's closer than Bristol obviously.
Let's face it who really enjoys flying from a large airport,where you are treated like cattle.Flying from Cardiff is a great start to a holiday,less stressful,quaint in a way.
I would always choose to fly from there whenever possible,and if the investment is spent wisely,it can only further enhance an already enjoyable start to a holiday👍
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 21:03 - Oct 12 with 1548 viewsFlashberryjack

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:38 - Oct 12 by jack2jack

I find the whole experience of flying from Cardiff great,it's not that difficult to get to really,it's closer than Bristol obviously.
Let's face it who really enjoys flying from a large airport,where you are treated like cattle.Flying from Cardiff is a great start to a holiday,less stressful,quaint in a way.
I would always choose to fly from there whenever possible,and if the investment is spent wisely,it can only further enhance an already enjoyable start to a holiday👍

I prefer Cardiff as I've already said, and if it's £100 or there about dearer to fly from CWL than Bristol, I choose Cardiff every time.

One year we saved over £300 by flying from Bristol, so that's where we flew from.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 21:08 - Oct 12 with 1545 viewsjack2jack

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 21:03 - Oct 12 by Flashberryjack

I prefer Cardiff as I've already said, and if it's £100 or there about dearer to fly from CWL than Bristol, I choose Cardiff every time.

One year we saved over £300 by flying from Bristol, so that's where we flew from.

Can't argue with that.👍
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 07:20 - Oct 13 with 1497 viewsPrivate_Partz

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:09 - Oct 12 by ploppy

It's interesting you say that Bristol is cheaper. Out of curiosity, I checked the prices on KLM to Amsterdam on 23rd October (purely at random, honestly).

BRS return fare from £336
CWL return fare from £199

You could argue that EasyJet fly that route from BRS. True, and it's probably cheaper than both those (but then, who wants to fly EasyJet). Clearly for some of us it's not just about the price. Personally, I'm willing to pay extra to avoid the horror that is Bristol Airport.

Cry "fowl"? Seriously? I so wanted to come up with a bird/poultry reference but failed miserably.

Just try Skyscanner. You will see invariably that Cardiff is not an option.
As regards the English lesson. I can't even be arsed to amend it but thanks anyway.

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 07:30 - Oct 13 with 1488 viewsPrivate_Partz

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:28 - Oct 12 by raynor94

No piss taking at all, it's not about saving money, I prefer the convenience of Cardiff over the cheaper option of Bristol every time. It suits me for the Greek islands , and I genuinely hope more money is pumped into it and it goes from strength to strength. And make your mind up is it Cardiff or Rhoose

Its Rhoose for me. Apologise for any confusion. They have changed the name often enough so it is easy to get it wrong. Try Skyscanner to check how much money you are are losing there and also look at the BBC Cardiff news to see how much of your taxes have gone into it as well.
One question..... Do you think pumping hundreds of million pounds into the airport, for that is what they would have to do, to subsidiese private airlines just to compete with a more successful airport 20 miles away is good practice?
I am starting to think you are either Russell Goodway or Complacent Carwyn himself. I will be claiming my fiver soon. (That is an example of the type of gentle p!sstake I am talking about :-))

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 19:16 - Dec 30 with 708 viewsDr_Winston

Nearly £20m lost this year. To go with the £6.5m lost last year. No doubt WAG will cover the loss to subsidise a vanity project for a "capital" city.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-airports-pre-tax-losses-17

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 19:44 - Dec 30 with 677 viewsDyfnant

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 09:15 - Oct 12 by MrSwerve

I agree with the direct route thing. I regularly go to Bristol instead of Cardiff because I'd rather just get on the plane and get to my destination. Funnily enough I'm going direct to Rome at the end of the month - from Bristol.

Thursday to Monday over the wales v Italy weekend ?🤔

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:07 - Dec 30 with 647 viewslifelong

Ryanair have pulled their Tenerife flights from Cardiff now..pain in the rear end.
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:16 - Dec 30 with 634 viewsjack2jack

We flew back into Bristol in September, it was like a bloody cattle market, 'orrible.
Mind you it was a Saturday. Much prefer Cardiff(Rhoose), where possible.
£4m to be spent on Cardiff airport on 20:38 - Dec 30 with 604 viewsCatullus

20 million loss this year? It's not sustainable and why should the whole pf Wales pay for an airport a large chunk of it doesn't use?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024