Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation 07:19 - Jan 29 with 4385 viewsTummer_from_Texas

By "our" I mean those of us who are old enough to remember when Sid & Nancy came out, but young enough to not quite be drooling in a cup and/or soiling ourselves in diapers.

With Darkest Hour I think he's now taking the argument. Daniel Day Lewis, while outstanding, has been passed at the turn.

Everyone, on bass guitar, Winston Dracula Churchill.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 07:43 - Jan 29 with 3469 viewsjackal

I saw "The Darkest Hour" last week.

His performance was stunning.
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:15 - Jan 29 with 3441 viewsexiledclaseboy

He was awful in Dracula, although not quite as bad as Keanu Reeves. It’s a pretty awful film all round really. Other opinions are of course available.

Poll: Tory leader

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:27 - Jan 29 with 3426 viewsnantywatcher

Superb performance helped by 3 hours of prosthetics fitted every day. Good but not in Day-Lewis's class.
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:28 - Jan 29 with 3426 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:15 - Jan 29 by exiledclaseboy

He was awful in Dracula, although not quite as bad as Keanu Reeves. It’s a pretty awful film all round really. Other opinions are of course available.

Yeah it had serious flaws (Wynona Ryder for that matter made Keanu Reaves look like Sir Lawrence Olivier), but I thought Oldman was great in an otherwise pretty bad movie.

Another great thing about him is that he could steal a good movie even in just a 7 minute cameo.

[Post edited 29 Jan 2018 8:31]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:31 - Jan 29 with 3412 viewsLohengrin

If you want to experience an acting masterclass then watch Inherit the wind and Judgement at Nuremberg back-to-back.

Spencer Tracy is mesmeric.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 10:39 - Jan 29 with 3337 viewsPegojack

I thought one of Oldman's best ever performances was as George Smiley in the 'Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy' movie of a few years ago. Subtle, understated and totally convincing.
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 11:17 - Jan 29 with 3316 viewsacejack3065

He's also fantastic in Leon, JFK, Hannibal, and The Book of Eli surprisingly.

Also solid performances in mainstream films like the Second rebooted Planet of the Apes, Dark Knight trilogy and Harry Potter franchise.

I'm looking forward to watching Darkest Hour. I just hope it isn't pure Oscar-bait.
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 12:08 - Jan 29 with 3291 viewsjackal

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:31 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

If you want to experience an acting masterclass then watch Inherit the wind and Judgement at Nuremberg back-to-back.

Spencer Tracy is mesmeric.

Dead right!

Spencer Tracy is the greatest American film actor ever.
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 12:47 - Jan 29 with 3257 viewslondonlisa2001

Gary Oldman, Phïlip Seymour Hoffman, Ralph Fiennes, Christopher Walken, Edward Norton all great actors (film actors).

But some of the 'stars' are also great actors who are underrated due to their sheer 'stardom' I think.

Tom Hanks has been wonderful in some films. Denzel Washington, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Sean Penn. Loads others as well I've forgotten.

The number of times awards sweep across all categories though, shows that often (not always), it's the quality of the script / story that makes an actor look great.

I never enjoy Daniel Day Lewis - I always think he overacts. But the oscars love him. He's nominated again this year. Same with Meryl Streep for the women actors - she's in great films, but often overacts like nothing on earth - her earlier stuff was much better (Sophie's Choice etc). Lots of great women actors recently though.
Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 16:02 - Jan 29 with 3212 viewsFlashberryjack

John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 16:27 - Jan 29 with 3193 viewsKilkennyjack

Richard Burton is a real winner cos he bagged Liz Taylor. Sorted.

Beware of the Risen People

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 16:30 - Jan 29 with 3191 viewsswanjackal

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 16:27 - Jan 29 by Kilkennyjack

Richard Burton is a real winner cos he bagged Liz Taylor. Sorted.

So did Larry Fortensky

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 16:31 - Jan 29 with 3188 viewsbyron

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 11:17 - Jan 29 by acejack3065

He's also fantastic in Leon, JFK, Hannibal, and The Book of Eli surprisingly.

Also solid performances in mainstream films like the Second rebooted Planet of the Apes, Dark Knight trilogy and Harry Potter franchise.

I'm looking forward to watching Darkest Hour. I just hope it isn't pure Oscar-bait.

Some great movies there, love Leon.
Anyone ever see one of oldmans earliest tv parts, the firm? About a group of West Ham fans back in the 80’s, pretty brutal but full of good actors (Phil Mitchell off eastenders etc). Saw an interview with Gary the other day saying how back in his darker days he went in a 70 day bender

Benny

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 18:01 - Jan 29 with 3145 viewstheloneranger

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 12:47 - Jan 29 by londonlisa2001

Gary Oldman, Phïlip Seymour Hoffman, Ralph Fiennes, Christopher Walken, Edward Norton all great actors (film actors).

But some of the 'stars' are also great actors who are underrated due to their sheer 'stardom' I think.

Tom Hanks has been wonderful in some films. Denzel Washington, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Sean Penn. Loads others as well I've forgotten.

The number of times awards sweep across all categories though, shows that often (not always), it's the quality of the script / story that makes an actor look great.

I never enjoy Daniel Day Lewis - I always think he overacts. But the oscars love him. He's nominated again this year. Same with Meryl Streep for the women actors - she's in great films, but often overacts like nothing on earth - her earlier stuff was much better (Sophie's Choice etc). Lots of great women actors recently though.

I thought Meryl Streep was brilliant alongside James Woods in the 1978 TV Series "Holocaust"
[Post edited 29 Jan 2018 18:02]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 18:10 - Jan 29 with 3128 viewstheloneranger

Abs brilliant performance as Churchill....a great film.

Now he's older.. he's the spitting image of his sister Laila Morse who played "Mo" in Eastenders..

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 18:56 - Jan 29 with 3097 viewsattila_the_hun

he's no Tim Healy

"I'm Free"

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 17:09 - Jan 30 with 3007 viewsLord_Bony

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 08:15 - Jan 29 by exiledclaseboy

Oh can't be having that!

My favourite screen role of Gary Oldman,Bram Stokers Dracula 1992,directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
Great film,great performance....imho of course.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 18:51 - Jan 30 with 2967 viewsLohengrin

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 17:09 - Jan 30 by Lord_Bony

Oh can't be having that!

My favourite screen role of Gary Oldman,Bram Stokers Dracula 1992,directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

"Leezen to dee cheeldren ov der night, vot sveet muzeek zay mayke..."

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 22:33 - Jan 30 with 2892 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 17:09 - Jan 30 by Lord_Bony

Oh can't be having that!

I genuinely think it’s a dreadful film with horrible performances all round. But each to their own.

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 22:50 - Jan 30 with 2880 viewsLord_Bony

Exactly.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 23:27 - Jan 30 with 2859 viewsDr_Winston

I quite like the Coppola Dracula. Reeves is rubbish obviously but the rest is all campy fun.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 20:11 - Jan 31 with 2755 viewsexiledclaseboy

And John Lithgow’s in The Crown is a far better Churchill than Oldman’s in the Darkest Hour, which is a fun historical romp but nothing more. Oldman is better when he’s understated as opposed to chewing the scenery like he does in Darkest Hour and Dracula.

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 20:14 - Jan 31 with 2750 viewsdickythorpe

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 20:17 - Jan 31 with 2746 viewsNeath_Jack

Not a patch on Ray Winstone.

Have a bang on that.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 20:44 - Jan 31 with 2731 viewsswanjackal

Gary Oldman: greatest actor of our generation on 20:14 - Jan 31 by dickythorpe

Fantastic film (and am serious when I say that too)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024