Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newport Marathon 16:01 - Apr 27 with 8438 viewsBlasterJack

Anyone taking part on Sunday?

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked, and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."

Newport Marathon on 17:01 - Apr 27 with 7169 viewsFlashberryjack

My daughter had intended to but she's still recovering from running the London marathon.

Good luck mate, and have a blast.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Newport Marathon on 17:05 - Apr 27 with 7166 viewsoldcob

I get knackered driving twenty plus miles these days.
Newport Marathon on 19:24 - Apr 27 with 7117 viewsbuilthjack

Go Julie Harding

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Newport Marathon on 19:25 - Apr 27 with 7115 viewssP7qupUf

Past it now. Ran it a good few years ago and did my best HM time there... 1.28. Those were the days.
Newport Marathon on 19:50 - Apr 27 with 7098 viewsjacksfullaces

I plan to .. the emergence of a sore throat, aches and cold in the last 24 hrs may have something to say about it. 4 months training so will have to give it a go I guess.

the amount of people who were running it who aren't is amazing. The drop out on most races I have done is high but based on my straw poll of around 40-50 people I would have known who were running, reckon 40-50% no longer are. must be a pain for the planners.
Newport Marathon on 20:12 - Apr 27 with 7086 viewsLeonWasGod

Newport Marathon on 19:25 - Apr 27 by sP7qupUf

Past it now. Ran it a good few years ago and did my best HM time there... 1.28. Those were the days.

About 10-12 years ago, I used to train and compete in triathlons with a guy who then was in his mid-60s. He only started being active in his 50s after early retirement. Last time I heard about him about 4-5 years ago he was still qualifying each year for the Hawaii Ironman, the pinnacle of the global triathlon scene. He must have been in his 70s then.

2.2 miles swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 miles run...... in the heat and headwinds of Hawaii......... as a 70 year old!

Just googled to see if he's still going and this popped up:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/veteran-tri

I hope he's still going, as if anyone can he can.

He's been a massive inspiration for me but won't know it. Everytime I've faced a difficult physical challenge since those days I've thought 'fk it, if Pete could do it in his 70s I sure as hell can'.

This isn't meant to be a dig at you at all btw, just that your post reminded me of Pete. But if there's anyone out there who would like to do more but thinks age is the only thing holding them back, just look to Pete 'Stormin' Norman for inspiration.
Newport Marathon on 13:28 - Apr 30 with 6929 viewsEbo

I think Nicky Fran who used to post on here ran it. My boss did it and few old work colleagues as well.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Newport Marathon on 13:57 - Apr 30 with 6921 viewstheloneranger

Newport Marathon on 20:12 - Apr 27 by LeonWasGod

About 10-12 years ago, I used to train and compete in triathlons with a guy who then was in his mid-60s. He only started being active in his 50s after early retirement. Last time I heard about him about 4-5 years ago he was still qualifying each year for the Hawaii Ironman, the pinnacle of the global triathlon scene. He must have been in his 70s then.

2.2 miles swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 miles run...... in the heat and headwinds of Hawaii......... as a 70 year old!

Just googled to see if he's still going and this popped up:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/veteran-tri

I hope he's still going, as if anyone can he can.

He's been a massive inspiration for me but won't know it. Everytime I've faced a difficult physical challenge since those days I've thought 'fk it, if Pete could do it in his 70s I sure as hell can'.

This isn't meant to be a dig at you at all btw, just that your post reminded me of Pete. But if there's anyone out there who would like to do more but thinks age is the only thing holding them back, just look to Pete 'Stormin' Norman for inspiration.

He was still going last year aged 80 !!

https://wts.triathlon.org/athletes/profile/7671/peter_norman

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Login to get fewer ads

Newport Marathon on 14:35 - Apr 30 with 6906 viewsPhil_S

Well done to BlasterJack who finished in less than 4 hours

Also side note - I believe sirjohnalot achieved a PB in the Stirling marathon as well
Newport Marathon on 14:50 - Apr 30 with 6902 viewsdcd14

I did. 3:57. Barely moving today though!
Newport Marathon on 14:52 - Apr 30 with 6897 viewsPhil_S

Newport Marathon on 14:50 - Apr 30 by dcd14

I did. 3:57. Barely moving today though!

Anything sub 4 is an aweseome time - to retain 9 minute miling for that distance takes some going

Done it twice at half marathon level (last was 8:55 but not sure I had another 13.1 in me at that pace!)

You deserve the rest - top effort

Put my ballot entry in today for London 2019 - if that doesn't work, hoping for a charity place
Newport Marathon on 14:55 - Apr 30 with 6893 viewsdcd14

Newport Marathon on 14:52 - Apr 30 by Phil_S

Anything sub 4 is an aweseome time - to retain 9 minute miling for that distance takes some going

Done it twice at half marathon level (last was 8:55 but not sure I had another 13.1 in me at that pace!)

You deserve the rest - top effort

Put my ballot entry in today for London 2019 - if that doesn't work, hoping for a charity place

Thanks. I went with the 3:45 pacer and blew big time at mile 19. Just a matter of keeping going to the finish.

Its my first full marathon (Ironman a side but that's a different type of marathon) done a couple of halfs (PD'b at 1:42 this year in Llanelli).

I've put my name in the hat for London as well today.
Newport Marathon on 17:02 - Apr 30 with 6848 viewsSirjohnalot

Newport Marathon on 14:35 - Apr 30 by Phil_S

Also side note - I believe sirjohnalot achieved a PB in the Stirling marathon as well

Yes, I got 3.38, how the blooming heck did you know that ?

Beautiful race, Scotland is stunning
Newport Marathon on 17:07 - Apr 30 with 6840 viewsPhil_S

Newport Marathon on 17:02 - Apr 30 by Sirjohnalot

Yes, I got 3.38, how the blooming heck did you know that ?

Beautiful race, Scotland is stunning

We wear the same yellow and black tops!

As does Blasterjack!

I hadn't clocked it until I read your update yesterday
Newport Marathon on 17:18 - Apr 30 with 6831 viewsSirjohnalot

Newport Marathon on 17:07 - Apr 30 by Phil_S

We wear the same yellow and black tops!

As does Blasterjack!

I hadn't clocked it until I read your update yesterday

Ah, Run 4 All. My second claim. I live up in Cheshire. Mum and dad still live in Neath, so I try to meet up when I come home, always do Gnoll parkrun if I can. Great running club
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 17:20]
Newport Marathon on 20:03 - Apr 30 with 6792 viewsBlasterJack

Newport Marathon on 14:35 - Apr 30 by Phil_S

Cheers Phil. Hung on for sub 4 just about. Lack of training caught me out for the last few miles.

Nicky Fran did indeed finish. Probably a good 10 mins ahead of me too.

Great weather conditions and a flat course so plenty of PB's about yesterday.

Chicago next!

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked, and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."

Newport Marathon on 20:24 - Apr 30 with 6780 viewsjack_lord

Newport Marathon on 20:03 - Apr 30 by BlasterJack

Cheers Phil. Hung on for sub 4 just about. Lack of training caught me out for the last few miles.

Nicky Fran did indeed finish. Probably a good 10 mins ahead of me too.

Great weather conditions and a flat course so plenty of PB's about yesterday.

Chicago next!

My brother did the Newport marathon on Sunday and ran just over 4 hours. Excellent for his first marathon a few months before his fiftieth.
He did the ironman in Tenby last year but that was a different type of marathon as he says.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Newport Marathon on 20:37 - Apr 30 with 6771 viewsjacksfullaces

newport did itself proud yesterday. the city was class.

i did nothing like the other times on here 4.40 but my 10k is down to 52, my 5k 24 so all set for a sub 2hr at Swansea in June om the back of the long training runs for the marathon. After 15 miles my extra weight really makes its presence felt :)
Newport Marathon on 21:00 - Apr 30 with 6759 viewsPhil_S

Newport Marathon on 20:37 - Apr 30 by jacksfullaces

i did nothing like the other times on here 4.40 but my 10k is down to 52, my 5k 24 so all set for a sub 2hr at Swansea in June om the back of the long training runs for the marathon. After 15 miles my extra weight really makes its presence felt :)

4:40 is still an excellent time and I firmly believe that anything under 2 for a half marathon is a superb effort - certainly nothing to be ashamed of - great effort
Newport Marathon on 12:21 - May 1 with 6661 viewsOnslow

I'm running nine half's between now and mid October. Depending on how my body holds out I'm going to try another marathon next year - hopefully London, if not Brighton or Manchester. I swore I wouldn't do another one, but next year is a bit of a family milestone, so it would be fitting to give it one more go

She keeps passin' me by...

Newport Marathon on 15:34 - May 1 with 6627 viewsdcd14

Newport Marathon on 20:37 - Apr 30 by jacksfullaces

Nice one bud.

You've got a sub 2 in the bag for sure with that 10k split.
Newport Marathon on 16:17 - May 1 with 6616 viewsBlasterJack

Newport Marathon on 12:21 - May 1 by Onslow

I'm running nine half's between now and mid October. Depending on how my body holds out I'm going to try another marathon next year - hopefully London, if not Brighton or Manchester. I swore I wouldn't do another one, but next year is a bit of a family milestone, so it would be fitting to give it one more go

It can be horribly addictive.
Started out with halfs, then did a couple of marathons and have now got a few ultras under my belt. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.
The wife keeps asking where it's all going to end but you're a long time dead and it helps with my mental health no end.

Newport Marathon on 16:30 - May 1 with 6602 viewsPhil_S

Newport Marathon on 12:21 - May 1 by Onslow

Awesome stuff mate = see you at the start line on some of those no doubt - that's one hell of an achievement
Newport Marathon on 16:37 - May 1 with 6595 viewsSirjohnalot

Let me know if anyone is doing the Manc Marathon. It’s my local, so if you’re coming up Friday night, I can take you round one of the local parkrun.

Also if you need help finding your way round, contact one of the local running clubs on Facebook. They’re really friendly. Mine is Bramhall Runners, they’ll take care of you.
Newport Marathon on 12:35 - May 2 with 6526 viewsOnslow

Newport Marathon on 16:17 - May 1 by BlasterJack

It can be horribly addictive.
Started out with halfs, then did a couple of marathons and have now got a few ultras under my belt. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.
The wife keeps asking where it's all going to end but you're a long time dead and it helps with my mental health no end.

Definitely helps me. I've been my own worst enemy in the past and committed to events when I've been on a high. A killer then when the lows kick in where motivation and energy go missing for weeks. Does nothing for the personal well being permanently jibbing events and selling places. But the last few months have been different. I'm nigh on teetotal and am now vegetarian too. Makes a hell of a difference not permanently running off last nights beer.

My mum isn't too clever, and is in the early stages of dementia, so instead of turning to the bottle I'm running instead. So to say it's keeping me sane at the moment is an understatement. Plus, I know I can manage the training and the half marathons themselves at the moment. I'm about 2 stone lighter now than when I ran London in 2013. I saw a picture last week of me at the finish line, f*ck knows how I managed to stay alive, let alone finish

She keeps passin' me by...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024