Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mawson to West Ham 15:11 - Jun 14 with 67622 viewsandrew

Deal close. Sky sports breaking.

Poll: Can’t see the new guy coming in to sit on the bench so, who’s off?

Mawson to West Ham on 15:44 - Jun 28 with 2678 viewslondonlisa2001

Mawson to West Ham on 13:30 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

Wilfred Bony was the greatest striker in our Premier League history and the top goal scorer in the Premier League for the 12 months before his sale.

Andre Ayew was top scorer with 12 goals from a wide position before his sale to West Ham.

Neither were either poor or average - quite the opposite.

The reality of the transfer market is that in January we were cut adrift and looked rudderless, players did not want to come here. We rolled the only dice we had and it nearly worked a miracle.

Instead we end the most successful time in our history long after most thought it would.

Bony was bought in the summer.

Shocking signing as was obvious at the time.

Ayew was a reasonable shout in January that didn’t work out as we wanted it to,

One very poor signing. One that didn’t work but was not necessarily poor (although we paid too much which is a function of the position we were in rather than poor decision making).

It’s the ones we didn’t sign that were bad decisions in many ways.

Completely obvious we had a few gaps that weren’t filled.
Mawson to West Ham on 16:02 - Jun 28 with 2632 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 15:44 - Jun 28 by Shaky

You now seem to be saying it was a reflection of Jenkins' management genius that he got the club into debt to the tune of £70million.

That's the trouble with your own personal style of logic; it quickly leads to nonsense, that you are then psychologically predisposed to defend at all costs with more nonsense.

LOL!

Read what I have said. I will break it down for you in bite size manageable chunks as you seem to have trouble understanding anything more than a sentence.

1) Jenkins has presided over our most successful ever era, an era utterly unthinkable to long term fans. Not that you would know that of course.

2) a club our size had to sell to regenerate. Jenkins recognised this and managed to do that successfully for 7 seasons, a major cup win and a European adventure plus a few mid table/top half finishes. Truly remarkable.

3) due to this longevity of success, costs inevitably went up, the longer we stayed there the bigger the defecit when eventually relegated.

Anything you struggle to understand then feel free to put it forward and will happily baby you through it once more.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Mawson to West Ham on 16:10 - Jun 28 with 2616 viewsswan65split

Mawson to West Ham on 16:02 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

Read what I have said. I will break it down for you in bite size manageable chunks as you seem to have trouble understanding anything more than a sentence.

1) Jenkins has presided over our most successful ever era, an era utterly unthinkable to long term fans. Not that you would know that of course.

2) a club our size had to sell to regenerate. Jenkins recognised this and managed to do that successfully for 7 seasons, a major cup win and a European adventure plus a few mid table/top half finishes. Truly remarkable.

3) due to this longevity of success, costs inevitably went up, the longer we stayed there the bigger the defecit when eventually relegated.

Anything you struggle to understand then feel free to put it forward and will happily baby you through it once more.

Total waffle.
Mawson to West Ham on 16:12 - Jun 28 with 2608 viewsShaky

Mawson to West Ham on 16:10 - Jun 28 by swan65split

Total waffle.

. . and somehow lacking its usual frenzied hysteria.

Maybe he is still jet lagged after his trip to Australia?

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Mawson to West Ham on 16:28 - Jun 28 with 2576 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 16:10 - Jun 28 by swan65split

Total waffle.

Seconded.

As Warwick would say, f*ck my eyes
Mawson to West Ham on 16:30 - Jun 28 with 2565 viewsE20Jack

So the usual triggered lot are out in force I see, how wonderful.

Common sense really does take a bashing on this forum.

It cannot be spoon fed to you any simpler.

Mawson to West Ham on 16:46 - Jun 28 with 2519 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 16:30 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

So the usual triggered lot are out in force I see, how wonderful.

Common sense really does take a bashing on this forum.

It cannot be spoon fed to you any simpler.

Righteyo fella.
Mawson to West Ham on 16:49 - Jun 28 with 2507 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 16:46 - Jun 28 by 34dfgdf54

Righteyo fella.

So you don’t think Jenkins presided over our most successful era in our history, a club our size has to sell to recycle money and the longer you stay in the PL the more costs increase then?

The only problem being that all 3 are indisputable facts.

Login to get fewer ads

Mawson to West Ham on 16:53 - Jun 28 with 2492 viewsAustinIsOurHero

This is an incredibly rose-tinted view of our recent history.
I'm not denying the points you've raised didn't happen, but a large majority of our fans will not remember it as fondly as you seem to.
Yes, we have had a successful period, but it was by no means due to Jenkins overseeing it. If the board had run the club in a more appropriate manner & not focused so much on selling the club, then we might not have been relegated in the first place! You reference relegation as if it was inevitable at some point?!

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Mawson to West Ham on 17:00 - Jun 28 with 2473 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 16:53 - Jun 28 by AustinIsOurHero

I'm not denying the points you've raised didn't happen, but a large majority of our fans will not remember it as fondly as you seem to.
Yes, we have had a successful period, but it was by no means due to Jenkins overseeing it. If the board had run the club in a more appropriate manner & not focused so much on selling the club, then we might not have been relegated in the first place! You reference relegation as if it was inevitable at some point?!

Then they are short sighted morons that have no grasp on reality. There is nothing rose tinted about anything I say. It was our most successful ever period, we did win the only major trophy we have ever won, we did get top half and mid table finishes and brought the best players we have seen grace club. These are facts:

Relegation was an inevitability. The only clubs that have never been relegated from the Premier League are the following:-

Manchester United
Arsenal
Tottenham
Liverpool
Everton
Chelsea

Why anyone would think we belong in the elite 7 clubs in English history with one of the smallest incomes in the league is staggeringly naive and deluded.

Guess what? If we are lucky enough to go back up, we will get relegated again too at some point.

Mawson to West Ham on 17:26 - Jun 28 with 2422 viewsswan65split

Mawson to West Ham on 16:49 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

So you don’t think Jenkins presided over our most successful era in our history, a club our size has to sell to recycle money and the longer you stay in the PL the more costs increase then?

You forgot to add that in our Premiership years we have gone from being “how a football club should be run” to one of the games biggest laughing stocks of modern times, from playing attractive, much talked about football to being one off the most shot shy , goal scoring teams in the Premiership history .

Take into account the number of Managers , back room staff , and hangers on we have brought in , shipped out , paid off , and probably made financially secure for life , along with the vast amount paid out for total dross players in fees and wages , that will never ever play a senior game for the Club seems to have escaped you, it must have been lost in your across the World travels”

http://www.spotrac.com/epl/swansea-city-a.f.c/payroll/

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/swansea-city/318/blog/post/3319034/swanseas-

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/45/Swansea-City/season-history

https://www.transfermarkt.com/swansea-city/transferrekorde/verein/2288

I will expect a war and peace reply of fiction. But your welcome to it, Theres and evening of Football and a Flagon of Bow for me to enjoy.
Mawson to West Ham on 17:34 - Jun 28 with 2408 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 17:26 - Jun 28 by swan65split

You forgot to add that in our Premiership years we have gone from being “how a football club should be run” to one of the games biggest laughing stocks of modern times, from playing attractive, much talked about football to being one off the most shot shy , goal scoring teams in the Premiership history .

Take into account the number of Managers , back room staff , and hangers on we have brought in , shipped out , paid off , and probably made financially secure for life , along with the vast amount paid out for total dross players in fees and wages , that will never ever play a senior game for the Club seems to have escaped you, it must have been lost in your across the World travels”

http://www.spotrac.com/epl/swansea-city-a.f.c/payroll/

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/swansea-city/318/blog/post/3319034/swanseas-

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/45/Swansea-City/season-history

https://www.transfermarkt.com/swansea-city/transferrekorde/verein/2288

I will expect a war and peace reply of fiction. But your welcome to it, Theres and evening of Football and a Flagon of Bow for me to enjoy.

That is part and parcel of a team like ours that have seen so much success and inevitably decline. We were clinging on by our fingernails and needed firefighters of managers to rally what was a poor squad.

We were not a laughing stock however. We went through the natural progression of a team like us. Sunderland went through the same thing as will teams year in year out. Our football used to be wonderful yes, as did Germany’s. Their squad got old and had to bring in new players that did not have the same effect - same with us.

Leon, Angel, Joey, Dyer and Williams provided an excellent nucleus and were able to carry new signings affording them the time to settle in. When they left or got too old to continue to be able to perform as the effective nucleus then our performances dipped. It’s natural. Football is cyclical for this reason.

Man United suffered a similarly fate when its nucleus dispanded, and still have not recovered to their former self - and that’s one of the richest club in the world. Why people think we should be immune is beyond me.

What we have done is utterly incredible.

Mawson to West Ham on 17:42 - Jun 28 with 2392 viewsploppy

Mawson to West Ham on 16:53 - Jun 28 by AustinIsOurHero

How do you know a large majority of our fans will not, etc? That's a very bold claim. Have you conducted a poll? If not, then you can't know. Even if you have you can't know - unless you've asked every single one of our fans. Do you have any numbers to back up your claim?
Mawson to West Ham on 18:53 - Jun 28 with 2313 viewsmajorraglan

I think it’s important to look at things in an objective manner and you have made some good points.

1) HJ has presided over a very successful era and that cannot be dismissed, it is fact.

2) There will be times that bigger clubs or clubs who can and will pay higher wages come calling and Swansea will want to sell on it’s prized assets or better players, there has been a major cup win and a European adventure and these have been amazing achievements. In terms of selling to regenerate, there have been sales and a lot of money has been reinvested, sometimes well and other times poorly.

3) Costs have gone up, but I do not necessarily attribute this to the longevity of the success, I believe that a significant factor in this has been the recruiting program where more ”established” players on higher wages have been signed, also a significant amount of money has been spent on players who have not fitted in or in some cases just not been good enough.

In all honesty, I believe that things have been on the side since Ladrup left. Points wise, the Club had a good season under Monk but after that things started to unravel, results wise, player recruitment, Managers and ultimately Huw Jenkins has been the captain of the ship throughout this.

There has also been the way the sale of the club as conducted. I have no issue with the previous owners cashing in, but it could in my opinion have been handled differently.
Mawson to West Ham on 19:04 - Jun 28 with 2286 viewslonglostjack

Mawson to West Ham on 16:49 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

Fine. At the very least though he should now cut his salary by at least 50% . He’s made more than enough money from going behind people’s backs. ( Pearlman’s salary should be cut by 80% ) He should also have nothing whatsoever to do with transfers. Let Potter set up a system to get back to the Swansea way. He’ll be more competent. It’s his trade.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Mawson to West Ham on 21:50 - Jun 28 with 2181 viewsE20Jack

Of course he should take a pay cut, and fully expect him to do so.

We have to be very careful as a fanbase that we don’t slip into the trap of what others have done on this thread and ignore, forget and distort facts in order to re-wrote history driven by a thirst for revenge. It helps nobody.

Costs always go up the longer a team is in the PL and want to remain competitive. Huddersfield will have nobody earning 50k a week currently, give it 5 years at that level and I guarantee you they will have multiple earners of that ilk, as well as a bunch of squad players nowhere near the team that are currently earning championship level wages will have signed new contracts/replaced with better and are earning PL wages.

Yes Jenkins conducted the sale terribly and yes he has succumbed to what ever single club in the land outside the top 6 do and slowly decline before relegation happens. The first one you may harbour some bitterness justifiably, the second one is just disingenuous in its creation.

I think it’s time for a change personally, but only if a better candidate comes along, as of yet I am unaware of any that have a better record. I won’t be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

But I am glad there is now a semblance of sense, objectivity and balance on this thread. A thread that is essentially about one of our young England International center backs picked up for a relative pittance and being touted for £25m. Not bad business at all.

Mawson to West Ham on 23:34 - Jun 28 with 2117 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 17:34 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

That is part and parcel of a team like ours that have seen so much success and inevitably decline. We were clinging on by our fingernails and needed firefighters of managers to rally what was a poor squad.

We were not a laughing stock however. We went through the natural progression of a team like us. Sunderland went through the same thing as will teams year in year out. Our football used to be wonderful yes, as did Germany’s. Their squad got old and had to bring in new players that did not have the same effect - same with us.

Leon, Angel, Joey, Dyer and Williams provided an excellent nucleus and were able to carry new signings affording them the time to settle in. When they left or got too old to continue to be able to perform as the effective nucleus then our performances dipped. It’s natural. Football is cyclical for this reason.

Man United suffered a similarly fate when its nucleus dispanded, and still have not recovered to their former self - and that’s one of the richest club in the world. Why people think we should be immune is beyond me.

What we have done is utterly incredible.

There was a manager who was in the process of replacing the old guard with more than able successors which in turn would have enabled the club to continue to compete for a good few seasons more (although the club certainly wouldn't have been immune to the possibility of being relegated) .

Unfortunately a massive miscalculation on the boards part was to take the side of the old guard. The lack of a new guard has cost the club relegation .

Yes Huw and Co definitely gave us a great rise up through the leagues and a great first and second season.
And this is where you leave out the inconvenient truth - the inability of HJ and Co to see the bigger picture and ignore all sentimentality towards the likes of Monk and phase the troublemakers out. The trigger was pulled on Laudrup far too early and given the end of the EL campaign he would have regrouped and arguably done better than we did under Monks stewardship.

Bottom line, all the good Huw and Co did they negated with their short sighted greed. Some people will agree and sympathise with your viewpoint but instead of doing a Res and just thinking "we're just little old Swansea after all" it could have gone on and been so much better. We have to stop (as Swans fans and indeed as a nation) looking down to the ground , fore locks in hand. We as a club are so much better than that.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 0:02]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Mawson to West Ham on 00:07 - Jun 29 with 2074 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 23:34 - Jun 28 by Brynmill_Jack

There was a manager who was in the process of replacing the old guard with more than able successors which in turn would have enabled the club to continue to compete for a good few seasons more (although the club certainly wouldn't have been immune to the possibility of being relegated) .

Unfortunately a massive miscalculation on the boards part was to take the side of the old guard. The lack of a new guard has cost the club relegation .

Yes Huw and Co definitely gave us a great rise up through the leagues and a great first and second season.
And this is where you leave out the inconvenient truth - the inability of HJ and Co to see the bigger picture and ignore all sentimentality towards the likes of Monk and phase the troublemakers out. The trigger was pulled on Laudrup far too early and given the end of the EL campaign he would have regrouped and arguably done better than we did under Monks stewardship.

Bottom line, all the good Huw and Co did they negated with their short sighted greed. Some people will agree and sympathise with your viewpoint but instead of doing a Res and just thinking "we're just little old Swansea after all" it could have gone on and been so much better. We have to stop (as Swans fans and indeed as a nation) looking down to the ground , fore locks in hand. We as a club are so much better than that.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 0:02]

I’m not leaving it out, I simply do not agree.

Laudrup absolutely needed to be sacked. The 12 months prior to his sacking was among the worst football we had seen in a long long time. We looked rudderless, lost our discipline in a multitude of areas and looked to be heading straight to the Championship.

This after his agent had tried to sell our defensive rock and on field leader in order to cash in on a deal he struck to take a % of any sales while signing players he represented, taking a piece of that pie too.

As I have said countless times now, a club like ours needs to sell to regenerate. This was utterly impossible when we had someone taking a large slice of sales and also purchases. Laudrup and Tutumlu created a toxic environment which going by his track record is not out of the ordinary with them.

And it is not a slight on the club to note we are a relatively small club by Premier League standards, it is simply a fact. We have a 20,000 capacity stadium and a fanbase that probably wouldn’t fill much more. To say it could have been so much better just is not reality, what we did was remarkable and will rarely be seen to such a degree as what we did, to expect that to continue regardless of the financial handicaps a club like us faces just isn’t realistic.

I would say Huw made that mistake of doing the deal with Tutumlu, but then we would never have seen the likes of Chico, De Guzman, Hernandez, Michu etc so we can’t criticise it too much. It was a short term vision and one that worked extremely well, but for the reasons pointed out; this was in no way a viable long term option, and they had to go when the short term benefits expired.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 0:14]

Mawson to West Ham on 00:21 - Jun 29 with 2052 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 00:07 - Jun 29 by E20Jack

I’m not leaving it out, I simply do not agree.

Laudrup absolutely needed to be sacked. The 12 months prior to his sacking was among the worst football we had seen in a long long time. We looked rudderless, lost our discipline in a multitude of areas and looked to be heading straight to the Championship.

This after his agent had tried to sell our defensive rock and on field leader in order to cash in on a deal he struck to take a % of any sales while signing players he represented, taking a piece of that pie too.

As I have said countless times now, a club like ours needs to sell to regenerate. This was utterly impossible when we had someone taking a large slice of sales and also purchases. Laudrup and Tutumlu created a toxic environment which going by his track record is not out of the ordinary with them.

And it is not a slight on the club to note we are a relatively small club by Premier League standards, it is simply a fact. We have a 20,000 capacity stadium and a fanbase that probably wouldn’t fill much more. To say it could have been so much better just is not reality, what we did was remarkable and will rarely be seen to such a degree as what we did, to expect that to continue regardless of the financial handicaps a club like us faces just isn’t realistic.

I would say Huw made that mistake of doing the deal with Tutumlu, but then we would never have seen the likes of Chico, De Guzman, Hernandez, Michu etc so we can’t criticise it too much. It was a short term vision and one that worked extremely well, but for the reasons pointed out; this was in no way a viable long term option, and they had to go when the short term benefits expired.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 0:14]

A toxic environment it most certainly was. But you're blaming the wrong individuals. Don't forget Monk had form with this when he was undermining Sousa. No players are ever bigger than the club.

The manager has every right to play who he wants and sell who he wants. If in this case we could have got a good price for Monk and an excellent price for Williams and replaced for less I would have called that proper regeneration, as you so appropriately called it.

Mawson to West Ham on 00:44 - Jun 29 with 2021 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 00:21 - Jun 29 by Brynmill_Jack

A toxic environment it most certainly was. But you're blaming the wrong individuals. Don't forget Monk had form with this when he was undermining Sousa. No players are ever bigger than the club.

The manager has every right to play who he wants and sell who he wants. If in this case we could have got a good price for Monk and an excellent price for Williams and replaced for less I would have called that proper regeneration, as you so appropriately called it.

The manager has absolutely no right to sell or buy who he wants. The managers agent even less so. Even more awful a notion when the decisions for acquisitions and sales driven by a personal financial incentive. It was correctly stopped.

Williams leaving was probably the final nail in the coffin as it was our last on pitch leader. Nobody would have ever paid us enough to replace the leadership Ash brought us. We are talking £15m max, plus whatever Tutumlu took and then charged to replace.

Mawson to West Ham on 08:11 - Jun 29 with 1880 viewsmajorraglan

Daily Mail reporting that Wolves are me interested in signing him, this could be good news for the club as it may push up the price.
Mawson to West Ham on 09:24 - Jun 29 with 1822 viewsomarjack

Mawson to West Ham on 08:11 - Jun 29 by majorraglan

Daily Mail reporting that Wolves are me interested in signing him, this could be good news for the club as it may push up the price.

And Wolves are usually willing to splash money when they need to. Imo it'll be a good idea to ask for 22 m + one of their CBs like Batth or Bennetts..if they're not willing to pay 25 m in cash.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Mawson to West Ham on 09:27 - Jun 29 with 1805 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 00:44 - Jun 29 by E20Jack

The manager has absolutely no right to sell or buy who he wants. The managers agent even less so. Even more awful a notion when the decisions for acquisitions and sales driven by a personal financial incentive. It was correctly stopped.

Williams leaving was probably the final nail in the coffin as it was our last on pitch leader. Nobody would have ever paid us enough to replace the leadership Ash brought us. We are talking £15m max, plus whatever Tutumlu took and then charged to replace.

First paragraph - I forgot to add "within the means of the club". Which is what Laudrup and Tutilu did. Huw's subsequent transfer dealings have got us relegate. I'm not sure why your loyalty to him is so unequivocal , surely even the most blinkered lotyalist would see this?

Williams was on the start of his downslope and was with Monk undermining the manager. Should have gone then but at least we were able to con Everton and get a good return on a player who their fans roundly condemn.

Mawson to West Ham on 09:30 - Jun 29 with 1803 viewsmoonie

I d like to defend you dim.

I don't agree but you have a right to express your views without getting abuse .

Jenkins pre idea over our rise and got plaudits.
However, he also did so over our demise through rank incompetence and he really cannot stay ,but he will ... We re gutless as a fan base as he should have been ousted by now one way or another .

He s lost us massive profits and no business can allow that
Mawson to West Ham on 09:55 - Jun 29 with 1772 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 09:27 - Jun 29 by Brynmill_Jack

First paragraph - I forgot to add "within the means of the club". Which is what Laudrup and Tutilu did. Huw's subsequent transfer dealings have got us relegate. I'm not sure why your loyalty to him is so unequivocal , surely even the most blinkered lotyalist would see this?

Williams was on the start of his downslope and was with Monk undermining the manager. Should have gone then but at least we were able to con Everton and get a good return on a player who their fans roundly condemn.

They did it very well too.

How much did we get Michu for again? Also, bringing through Ben Davies when most were calling for us to go out and spend on a left back when Taylor got injured.

Laudrup was in the process of moving on the old guard and got stopped in it's tracks, Jenkins took the mantle, and the amount that cost us is significantly more than what we would have paid Tutumlu.

Edit - Also, worst football? As I keep on saying we were juggling Uefa Cup along with trying to keep afloat in the Premier League, as E20 states, we were a small club playing in a massive league, surely you can see that it's a difficult task. On the whole I do agree it was time for Laudrup to go, things needed freshening up for the run it, but Jenkins trying to play the game Tutumlu and Laudrup played was a complete disaster.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 9:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024