Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buying a stolen car 20:49 - Aug 7 with 2940 viewsFlashberryjack

A young hard working lad I know bought his first a car privately about 2 years ago, he did a RAC check on it which came back saying it wasn't stolen.

Anyway the police have just taken it away saying it is stolen, the poor young man is absolutely gutted, as he'd worked hard to save for it, and it was his pride and joy.

Anyone had something like this happen ? also any advise would be very much appreciated.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Buying a stolen car on 20:55 - Aug 7 with 2910 viewsexiledclaseboy

How long had he had the car before the police got in touch? I feel for him, that’s a real kick in the teeth.

Poll: Tory leader

Buying a stolen car on 20:58 - Aug 7 with 2894 viewsjack2jack

Get back in touch with RAC, there must be some recourse.
Buying a stolen car on 21:02 - Aug 7 with 2882 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 20:55 - Aug 7 by exiledclaseboy

How long had he had the car before the police got in touch? I feel for him, that’s a real kick in the teeth.

Just checked, he had it a year, and he paid RAC £15 for the check before buying.

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 21:03 - Aug 7 with 2872 viewsJackfath

I'd be seeking legal advice regarding their car check policy.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Buying a stolen car on 21:08 - Aug 7 with 2859 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 21:03 - Aug 7 by Jackfath

I'd be seeking legal advice regarding their car check policy.

I think that's the route he's looking at, just wondering if there were any other options, because I wouldn't mind betting that there's probably something in the small print with the RAC that covers their ar*es in situations like this.

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 21:08 - Aug 7 with 2858 viewsexiledclaseboy

Buying a stolen car on 21:02 - Aug 7 by Flashberryjack

Just checked, he had it a year, and he paid RAC £15 for the check before buying.

It might be that it hadn’t been reported stolen at the time he did the check, that the police may not have put the stolen marker on the record or that the reg number had been changed. Probably worth looking into whether he has a claim against the checking company but he’s probably screwed to be honest. Sorry.

Buying a stolen car on 21:12 - Aug 7 with 2841 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 21:08 - Aug 7 by exiledclaseboy

It might be that it hadn’t been reported stolen at the time he did the check, that the police may not have put the stolen marker on the record or that the reg number had been changed. Probably worth looking into whether he has a claim against the checking company but he’s probably screwed to be honest. Sorry.

Not what I wanted to hear, but what I sadly suspected.

Is there anyway of checking when the car was reported stolen to the police ?

Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.

[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 21:14]

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 21:18 - Aug 7 with 2816 viewsexiledclaseboy

Buying a stolen car on 21:12 - Aug 7 by Flashberryjack

Not what I wanted to hear, but what I sadly suspected.

Is there anyway of checking when the car was reported stolen to the police ?

Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.

[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 21:14]

The police should be able to tell him that.

Login to get fewer ads

Buying a stolen car on 21:20 - Aug 7 with 2806 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 21:18 - Aug 7 by exiledclaseboy

The police should be able to tell him that.

Should be, but will they.

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 21:21 - Aug 7 with 2799 viewsexiledclaseboy

Buying a stolen car on 21:20 - Aug 7 by Flashberryjack

Should be, but will they.

Can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t.

Buying a stolen car on 21:31 - Aug 7 with 2755 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 21:21 - Aug 7 by exiledclaseboy

Can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t.

Might be reluctant to give the info if they were unreasonably slow in flagging up the car as stolen on their data base.

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 22:29 - Aug 7 with 2654 viewsSirjohnalot

Civil law isn’t my area, but does he remember who he bought it from ?

Maybe worth speaking to local Citizen’s Advice Bereau and getting them to help him draft a letter suing the seller for the cost of the car.
Buying a stolen car on 22:36 - Aug 7 with 2630 viewsKingBony

Was the car insured flash?

Similar checks should be made there. If the previous owner reported to his insurer it should have a theft marker on it via miaftr and used to be a v84, not sure if this still applies. If the owner has been paid out they will sometimes do a deal with the “innocent purchaser” but usually on their terms.

Wouldn’t trust an RAC check and would only use HPI personally but can’t help feel for the lad.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Buying a stolen car on 06:17 - Aug 8 with 2456 viewsPacemaker

Buying a stolen car on 22:36 - Aug 7 by KingBony

Was the car insured flash?

Similar checks should be made there. If the previous owner reported to his insurer it should have a theft marker on it via miaftr and used to be a v84, not sure if this still applies. If the owner has been paid out they will sometimes do a deal with the “innocent purchaser” but usually on their terms.

Wouldn’t trust an RAC check and would only use HPI personally but can’t help feel for the lad.

This sounds very much a civil matter and your friend should contact the police and ensure he records the fact that he bought the car in good faith, he paid a fair price for the car and holds title. He has done all the right things in checking it was not stolen and presumably has registered the car in his name.

I would imagine there was credit in the vehicle with previous keeper who has not paid it off. I am surprised Police have seized it if that is the reason they usually leave it between lender and new keeper to sort out. Once he has done that with the facts of when it was reported stolen then he should go back to car check company. I would suggest that there was a credit marker on car which he should have ensured was cleared by purchase of vehicle.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Buying a stolen car on 08:12 - Aug 8 with 2367 viewsLoyal

Buying a stolen car on 21:31 - Aug 7 by Flashberryjack

Might be reluctant to give the info if they were unreasonably slow in flagging up the car as stolen on their data base.

I'm certain they wouldnt, no need to.
Criminally the car is stolen, that's the end of that.

Redress, why yes of course, in a civil lawsuit. He will defo get an early pay out if proven, and the burden of proof is lower.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Buying a stolen car on 09:00 - Aug 8 with 2315 viewstheloneranger

If there's no finance owing on the vehicle, and the original legal owner has been paid for their loss by their insurance company, then that insurance company is now the legal owner of the vehicle.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Buying a stolen car on 09:32 - Aug 8 with 2268 viewsCountyJim

Very sad for the lad but why did it take so long thoses black cameras ANPR that are on M4 JUNCTIONS etc why hasnt this been picked up earlier
Buying a stolen car on 13:59 - Aug 8 with 2144 viewswobbly

How much had he paid for the car?
Buying a stolen car on 17:50 - Aug 8 with 2011 viewsFlashberryjack

Buying a stolen car on 13:59 - Aug 8 by wobbly

How much had he paid for the car?

Not sure of the exact amount, but I believe it was around £4,500.

He's now making inquiries with the police, then he'll see what the best course of action to take.

Many thanks to all for the advice.

Hello

Buying a stolen car on 18:05 - Aug 8 with 1990 viewstheloneranger

Buying a stolen car on 17:50 - Aug 8 by Flashberryjack

Not sure of the exact amount, but I believe it was around £4,500.

He's now making inquiries with the police, then he'll see what the best course of action to take.

Many thanks to all for the advice.

If the dishonest seller is still around, then your friend can take the b@stard to the small claims court for a fee of £185.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024