Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter needs time and our patience 08:12 - Dec 30 with 3761 viewsJinxy

In my view, if Potter wanted to simply win matches in the short term, by playing a "stable" team, tried and tested players (albeit we don't have many!), I daresay he could do it. What would happen then? Well, we'd maybe get into the play-offs, maybe even get promoted but unlike last time it would be like a house of cards, no foundation and from my distant Swans memory from the 80's we'd crash and burn. Maybe the only thing that saved us from that same fate this time was that there was an identity hiding in there somewhere, and a progressive coach was identified and appointed to revitalise it.

This way, frustrating as it is to watch sometimes, he's trying to balance "acceptable" results and overall points tally with experimenting, testing players out of their comfort zone, trying different formations etc.. Some work, and some (e.g. first 45 mins yesterday) clearly don't. But he recognised it and fixed it right - other managers may not have? I for one hope he continues this for this season at least, and I didn't stop clapping and cheering yesterday unlike some "fans" who suddenly start booing (shame on you if you're one of them I say - go vent off elsewhere).

The Jan window is fast approaching, and although I think there is much more to come from this squad, GP probably needs to know the likely extent of their individual and collective qualities, and importantly how able they are to adapt to different systems and follow the plan etc., so that he can make a sound case for recruitment in certain areas, along with being certain on who is prepared to do without. He has taken responsibility for yesterday, but also hinted that there was method in the madness but he said something like "maybe it wasn't well communicated", taking responsibility (good management).

Give him time and compare him to the likely remit/expectation (stop the slide>return playing style>entertain>mid table this season>push on next season?), and perhaps judge him NEXT Christmas?
Potter needs time and our patience on 08:18 - Dec 30 with 3140 viewsChief

Who'd replace him anyway????

And do we really want to pay off another coaching team????

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:00 - Dec 30 with 3065 viewsWiggle

Agree, on the whole I think the Jackarmy are showing patience......they recognise the job of clearing out and working with a squad that includes a lot of youngsters......I’m glad we have him as our manager , when it all comes together some of our football is outstanding , players look comfortable and I think Potter has created a good team spirit ....we all have opinions on players ,team selection etc but he gets the thumbs up from me ....well done Graham glad your on board
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:45 - Dec 30 with 2992 viewsA_Fans_Dad

You cannot blame paying fans for feeling robbed after watching the first 45 minutes yesterday.
I always thought the Training field was where teams tried out new things until they get it right and it becomes second nature, before being introduced in to their game.
Not in an actual game.
So sorry to disagree.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:51 - Dec 30 with 2976 viewsHeadmaster

We could all see how bad the line up was in the first half, yet the manager and his staff thought the complete opposite. If we could see it, why couldn't they?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 9:52]
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:54 - Dec 30 with 2964 viewsJinxy

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:45 - Dec 30 by A_Fans_Dad

You cannot blame paying fans for feeling robbed after watching the first 45 minutes yesterday.
I always thought the Training field was where teams tried out new things until they get it right and it becomes second nature, before being introduced in to their game.
Not in an actual game.
So sorry to disagree.

I know what you mean but training grounds are one thing, execution of a plan up against eager opposition (with their own cunning tactics!) is quite another. Agree in that can't blame fans for feelings, will for booing though. Counter productive.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:55 - Dec 30 with 2944 viewsLeonWasGod

Great post. Agree from 2nd paragraph oneards. I get the feeling we could be onto something good. We’re playing in spells some of our best football in years. We take games to teams again, rather than camp on the edge of our 18 yard box. We’ve a genuine number 10 again for the first time since Siggy left.

There are some good building blocks there, but it’ll obviously take Potter some time to get things as he wants. Have the fans the patience to let him see it through? I hope so.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:58 - Dec 30 with 2948 viewsJinxy

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:51 - Dec 30 by Headmaster

We could all see how bad the line up was in the first half, yet the manager and his staff thought the complete opposite. If we could see it, why couldn't they?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 9:52]

I don't think we are privy, or can even anticipate what GP is thinking, and I for one like that because if we struggle, so will the opposition. The trick is executing a plan, with all following it. If it fails for whatever reason (even if players follow it), hit plan B which is what he did. Even BR was often criticised for not having an alternative plan.

Potter quote from yesterday: "We had an idea but clearly it didn't work, or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough."
Potter needs time and our patience on 10:32 - Dec 30 with 2892 viewsjohnlangy

Totally agree. Once he's had this January and the summer to get in the players he wants that is the time to properly judge him.

Having said that, it's still incredibly frustrating in the meantime. WE automatically want to see the team go for it and try their best to win every game. Changing that mindset is hard.
Login to get fewer ads

Potter needs time and our patience on 10:40 - Dec 30 with 2875 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:58 - Dec 30 by Jinxy

I don't think we are privy, or can even anticipate what GP is thinking, and I for one like that because if we struggle, so will the opposition. The trick is executing a plan, with all following it. If it fails for whatever reason (even if players follow it), hit plan B which is what he did. Even BR was often criticised for not having an alternative plan.

Potter quote from yesterday: "We had an idea but clearly it didn't work, or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough."

"I don't think we are privy, or can even anticipate what GP is thinking, and I for one like that because if we struggle, so will the opposition."

Yes Villa struggled so badly they only scored 2 goals.
Potter needs time and our patience on 10:49 - Dec 30 with 2867 viewsSTID2017

Potter needs time and our patience on 10:40 - Dec 30 by A_Fans_Dad

"I don't think we are privy, or can even anticipate what GP is thinking, and I for one like that because if we struggle, so will the opposition."

The previous three seasons were for a large part very hard to watch.
Potter is getting more right than wrong and it is relatively early days.
Patience and time will see him mould a better side.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Potter needs time and our patience on 10:56 - Dec 30 with 2856 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Potter needs time and our patience on 10:40 - Dec 30 by A_Fans_Dad

Villa?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Potter needs time and our patience on 11:17 - Dec 30 with 2807 viewsAngelRangelQS

Thats a very good post and probably a really accurate description of where we are.

I suppose it’s frustrating for us fans having to sit through that yesterday (especially given our already poor run) but if Potter is having a year of experimenting then it doesn’t matter a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Maybe he thinks losing the odd few points here and there is worth it if it teaches him things about players in the squad.
Potter needs time and our patience on 11:28 - Dec 30 with 2780 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Potter needs time and our patience on 10:56 - Dec 30 by Brynmill_Jack

Villa?

Sorry Wigan.
Potter needs time and our patience on 11:37 - Dec 30 with 2757 viewsJinxy

Potter needs time and our patience on 11:17 - Dec 30 by AngelRangelQS

Thats a very good post and probably a really accurate description of where we are.

I suppose it’s frustrating for us fans having to sit through that yesterday (especially given our already poor run) but if Potter is having a year of experimenting then it doesn’t matter a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Maybe he thinks losing the odd few points here and there is worth it if it teaches him things about players in the squad.

Thank you, and exactly. Also, he is doubtless learning himself too.
Potter needs time and our patience on 11:47 - Dec 30 with 2748 viewsLoyal

Not in an actual game.
So sorry to disagree.

Not everything happens perfectly every day for everyone.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Potter needs time and our patience on 08:28 - Dec 31 with 2574 viewsBlue_Blood

Even next Christmas may be a tall order if he doesn't receive the backing of the clubs at the top of the division.

I know football fans are a bizarre bunch but the expectations of those criticising Potter for where you are in the table this season are ridiculous.

For a bit of context, you are one place below Stoke who have kept all their squad together and added at will, including taking one if your big earners as well as someone who you chased for practically the whole transfer window and apparently have one of the brightest young managers in Britain.

The money being spent in the championship is ridiculous at the moment and you have had your squad decimated and Potter has been given the remit of developing academy kids.

This process doesn't only rely on Potter but is more of a collective effort depending whether the kids brought through are good enough.

Football is changing in my opinion and whereas 5 years ago everything relied on talent identification or clout to bring in the best players in a Jose Mourinho type way, it has now swung (for the better) to coaches actually being able to coach. You see this at the top with Guardiola, Klopp, Pocchetino etc but you're also seeing this through the levels too. The job that managers like Farke, Lampard, Wilder and Bielsa are doing is testimony to this.

Potter, despite his tinkering is doing an excellent job given the resources at his disposal. He has made you competitive in most if not all games and though you have a bit of a soft underbelly especially against the big teams you must remember that there are lot of kids who experiencing a huge jump in standard for the first time this season and are acquitting themselves really well.

In most games you are dominating the ball even against clubs like Villa, West Brom, Stoke who seemingly have bottomless resources.

This will give you a platform for the future and whatever you think of how the board have handled the last few years, you are evidently taking a different path which inevitably will be a longer path than what most football fans want.

Again whether you like it or not your club are opting to go down the route of a more long term project with Potter and this will rely on you maintaining category 1 academy status and bringing players through and developing them.

Whatever the rights amd wrongs of what Jenkins and co have done this has got to be the route teams like Cardiff amd Swansea have to go down (and anyone else outside the top 8 of the premier league) as the financial hit of being relegated is ridiculous.
Potter needs time and our patience on 08:34 - Dec 31 with 2571 viewsTailGunner

Potter needs time and our patience on 08:28 - Dec 31 by Blue_Blood

Even next Christmas may be a tall order if he doesn't receive the backing of the clubs at the top of the division.

I know football fans are a bizarre bunch but the expectations of those criticising Potter for where you are in the table this season are ridiculous.

For a bit of context, you are one place below Stoke who have kept all their squad together and added at will, including taking one if your big earners as well as someone who you chased for practically the whole transfer window and apparently have one of the brightest young managers in Britain.

The money being spent in the championship is ridiculous at the moment and you have had your squad decimated and Potter has been given the remit of developing academy kids.

This process doesn't only rely on Potter but is more of a collective effort depending whether the kids brought through are good enough.

Football is changing in my opinion and whereas 5 years ago everything relied on talent identification or clout to bring in the best players in a Jose Mourinho type way, it has now swung (for the better) to coaches actually being able to coach. You see this at the top with Guardiola, Klopp, Pocchetino etc but you're also seeing this through the levels too. The job that managers like Farke, Lampard, Wilder and Bielsa are doing is testimony to this.

Potter, despite his tinkering is doing an excellent job given the resources at his disposal. He has made you competitive in most if not all games and though you have a bit of a soft underbelly especially against the big teams you must remember that there are lot of kids who experiencing a huge jump in standard for the first time this season and are acquitting themselves really well.

In most games you are dominating the ball even against clubs like Villa, West Brom, Stoke who seemingly have bottomless resources.

This will give you a platform for the future and whatever you think of how the board have handled the last few years, you are evidently taking a different path which inevitably will be a longer path than what most football fans want.

Again whether you like it or not your club are opting to go down the route of a more long term project with Potter and this will rely on you maintaining category 1 academy status and bringing players through and developing them.

Whatever the rights amd wrongs of what Jenkins and co have done this has got to be the route teams like Cardiff amd Swansea have to go down (and anyone else outside the top 8 of the premier league) as the financial hit of being relegated is ridiculous.

Tremendous post this.

Such a shame many of our own do not understand the need for patience with the manager.

GP is not perfect and is the first to admit his failings.
So many of ours want instant success, and have toddler tantrums when things go wrong
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 8:55]
Potter needs time and our patience on 08:53 - Dec 31 with 2546 viewsScottishEddie

Not in an actual game.
So sorry to disagree.

Were you even there?

Poll: Stupidest Posterer of the Year

Potter needs time and our patience on 08:56 - Dec 31 with 2535 viewsDrGonzo

Potter needs time and our patience on 08:28 - Dec 31 by Blue_Blood

Takes a Cardiff fan to talk some sense on here. Take note.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:05 - Dec 31 with 2523 viewsAnotherJohn

It seems to me that many of us, although willing to be patient, have doubts about the 'biding our time' narrative because we are not seeing much actual rebuilding. What we are seeing is rationalisation, cost-cutting and coping, mainly drawing on the U23s. We are hoping to see some recruitment of necessary pieces in a new jigsaw in the forthcoming window and the summer, but far from confident that this will happen. We'll know more by about August.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:12 - Dec 31 with 2519 viewsTailGunner

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:05 - Dec 31 by AnotherJohn

It seems to me that many of us, although willing to be patient, have doubts about the 'biding our time' narrative because we are not seeing much actual rebuilding. What we are seeing is rationalisation, cost-cutting and coping, mainly drawing on the U23s. We are hoping to see some recruitment of necessary pieces in a new jigsaw in the forthcoming window and the summer, but far from confident that this will happen. We'll know more by about August.

Very good points. Feb 1st will give us the indicators
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:42 - Dec 31 with 2486 viewsJinxy

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:12 - Dec 31 by TailGunner

Very good points. Feb 1st will give us the indicators

I'm not so sure. GP has had a decent chance to get to know this squad's capabilities, so I think Jan will be more about releasing high earners and/or surplus players that simply don't meet his requirements. I think he will develop what's left, with perhaps 1 or 2 additions if he can make a strong case, especially if a flirt with relegation could be on the horizon. So, to be honest I won't be too disappointed come Feb. It's more about what transpires next season for me.
Potter needs time and our patience on 09:45 - Dec 31 with 2476 viewsTailGunner

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:42 - Dec 31 by Jinxy

I'm not so sure. GP has had a decent chance to get to know this squad's capabilities, so I think Jan will be more about releasing high earners and/or surplus players that simply don't meet his requirements. I think he will develop what's left, with perhaps 1 or 2 additions if he can make a strong case, especially if a flirt with relegation could be on the horizon. So, to be honest I won't be too disappointed come Feb. It's more about what transpires next season for me.

If we further weaken an already painfully thin squad we are in real trouble.
Potter needs time and our patience on 10:49 - Dec 31 with 2422 viewsBlue_Blood

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:05 - Dec 31 by AnotherJohn

The problem derives from the board believing their own hype that you were an "established" premier league club in the couple of seasons when clubs far bigger than you have shown that outside the top 6 nobody is immune from relegation.

The signings of Clucas who we almost signed for 500k when we signed Doyle from Chesterfield and Bony just because the fans used to like him we're scandalous.

You are now paying for it and unless the owners are willing to pump some investment in (highly unlikely) then you have to adapt.
Added to this clubs like Brentford see a team like Swansea who have been in the premier league for 7 years with parachute payments wanting one of their players and they're gonna inflate the price a bit. For what it's worth I think your owners should have pushed the boat out for Woods as he would have been pivotal to the way Potter has set you up to play.

You definitely still need to trim off the high earners who if you're honest are nowhere near worth the wages they are on and you probably need to add some recognised leaders to the squad to add some character the changing room. Next year the kids you've brought in this year will be a lot more settled and will gained massive experience from what they've learned this season and as long as the board are committed to holding on to these players or at least getting a good price from them and reinvesting the money then I can see you mounting a proper challenge but I don't see how Potter can be accountable for you being where you are this season.
Potter needs time and our patience on 11:09 - Dec 31 with 2390 views34dfgdf54

Potter needs time and our patience on 09:42 - Dec 31 by Jinxy

Agree with this 100%

It’s if we sell the likes of McBurnie in January, that’s when it’s panic stations, won’t happen though. January will be all about offloading again unfortunately imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024