Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up social media 16:20 - Jan 6 with 4810 viewsMrSwerve

Has anyone who uses social media tried giving it up, or tried having a break from it? By social media I mean Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Mainly Facebook and Instagram though. I deactivated my accounts a few days ago and am interested to see the effects.
First thoughts is a realisation of how addictive it is, and how dependent I had become on it in terms of checking it whenever possible. Wake up, make a cuppa, check Facebook, etc...on a train, in bed...it’s so easy to start checking it and spend 10-15 mins staring at the screen.
I was personally getting tired of the ‘perfect lives’ that people portray on these, as well as having lots of ‘half friendships’...people who would like or comment on a status but would ignore you in real life, for example. I’m really glad that I didn’t grow up with these things, I dread to think what it can do to the mental health of kids/teens...and even adults.
It’s amazing how much ‘free’ time I’ve found. Plenty more to spend on PS of course.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Giving up social media on 21:58 - Jan 6 with 1319 viewsfrancos16

Social Media as in Twitter , Inster and Facebook ....As Catherine Tate aka Nan ( as in Nans Christmas Carol) would say ‘ what a load of old shit’ .
What happened to giving your mates a ring or better still a face to face meet if at all possible. Genuinely believe 10 years from now majority of population will shun it in its current form. Useful for general information sharing but the ‘ you got a black cat
but my cat is blacker ‘ bullshit is the bane of modern society
Giving up social media on 22:06 - Jan 6 with 1301 viewslonglostjack

Giving up social media on 21:54 - Jan 6 by jackportis

Perhaps there would be a decline of this “mental health” issue which seems to be advertised through these sights.

If you’re hallucinating you really should see a doctor.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Giving up social media on 22:07 - Jan 6 with 1301 viewsGaryjack

Dar, Excb. You know who i'm on about.
Giving up social media on 22:20 - Jan 6 with 1270 viewsHumpty

Giving up social media on 21:54 - Jan 6 by jackportis

Perhaps there would be a decline of this “mental health” issue which seems to be advertised through these sights.

What sights?
Giving up social media on 22:32 - Jan 6 with 1239 viewsDarran

Giving up social media on 22:07 - Jan 6 by Garyjack

Dar, Excb. You know who i'm on about.

It’s hideous Gar.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Giving up social media on 22:42 - Jan 6 with 1236 viewsGaryjack

Giving up social media on 22:32 - Jan 6 by Darran

It’s hideous Gar.

I know. My wife is on there and tells me everything.
Giving up social media on 22:45 - Jan 6 with 1222 viewsDarran

Giving up social media on 22:42 - Jan 6 by Garyjack

I know. My wife is on there and tells me everything.

I despair on times,I really do.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Giving up social media on 22:46 - Jan 6 with 1230 viewsTheLegend

Twitter I use for work.

The rest of them are utterly hideous. They have damaged society beyond repair.
Login to get fewer ads

Giving up social media on 23:20 - Jan 6 with 1195 viewsHighjack

Giving up social media on 16:42 - Jan 6 by Highjack

For example look at this f*cking idiot

http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363

Who reported this for abuse? He/she/they clearly is a f*cking idiot.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Giving up social media on 06:00 - Jan 7 with 1113 viewsPhil_S

Giving up social media on 23:20 - Jan 6 by Highjack

Who reported this for abuse? He/she/they clearly is a f*cking idiot.

I tend to agree with Cooperman on this - it can be used greatly if you just use it for the purpose for which it is intended. My Dad was one of 8 and the extended family is - as a result - massive but we probably keep more track of each other now then we did in previous years (although some of that is driven by the passing of him and some of his siblings/sibling-in-laws)

Also I use it heavily for a couple of clubs I am a member of where the sheer number of members means there is always something happening that you simply would miss out on in the old world.

There is nothing on Facebook that winds me up, the Mrs uses it more than me and the girls use it (monitored) to do various things that I class as pointless but it amuses them from time to time.

In the right hands it can be used well but like others on here have seen many people use it the wrong way but I view it the same as this forum - you have a choice for what you read and what you don't read.
Giving up social media on 09:37 - Jan 7 with 1042 viewstaffpunk

Giving up social media on 21:38 - Jan 6 by alltjack

The amount of work I get through Facebook is phenomenal,The modern Yellow Pages without the cost , and to add to that the amount of old friends and schoolmates i've got back in touch with is amazing.I'm 59 years of age , perhaps you're doing it wrong

Pretty much the same as me, though I'm a few years younger than you. I only use facebook and It's great for finding out where bands are playing, who's putting out new albums etc...When I post on my own shop facebook page that I've had an LP collection in, put some details about what groups, there'll be people waiting for me to open the next day. I've also got plenty of work for the Leaflet firm through the joys of FB.

I've deliberately got an old phone so I can't access FB when I'm out, I don't want to be one of those people constantly looking at their phones, but overall while I'd like to spend less time on there, it's essential for my work to be on the 'book.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Giving up social media on 09:51 - Jan 7 with 1027 viewsdickythorpe

Wayne Hennessy mucking about has been magnified now. That's the danger.
Giving up social media on 10:26 - Jan 7 with 1008 views_

Giving up social media on 06:00 - Jan 7 by Phil_S

I tend to agree with Cooperman on this - it can be used greatly if you just use it for the purpose for which it is intended. My Dad was one of 8 and the extended family is - as a result - massive but we probably keep more track of each other now then we did in previous years (although some of that is driven by the passing of him and some of his siblings/sibling-in-laws)

Also I use it heavily for a couple of clubs I am a member of where the sheer number of members means there is always something happening that you simply would miss out on in the old world.

There is nothing on Facebook that winds me up, the Mrs uses it more than me and the girls use it (monitored) to do various things that I class as pointless but it amuses them from time to time.

In the right hands it can be used well but like others on here have seen many people use it the wrong way but I view it the same as this forum - you have a choice for what you read and what you don't read.

So your last sentence - why don't you apply that to E20 you clown?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Giving up social media on 10:39 - Jan 7 with 990 viewsCooperman

Giving up social media on 09:51 - Jan 7 by dickythorpe

Wayne Hennessy mucking about has been magnified now. That's the danger.

Having seen the photo I’m not buying his excuse.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Giving up social media on 13:17 - Jan 8 with 829 viewsBloodyhills

Good posts on this thread. Social media is a double edged sword. It's great for keeping up with stuff that's going on locally that you would never know about otherwise but it's addictive and a huge time waster too.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024